• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently exploring Iron Keep, great place to farm souls, these guys go down easily (at least with the mace I'm using) and are worth 700 each.
I'm guessing I'm about half-way through the game.

use some gear to increase soul drop and you can get to around 950-1000 per guy. Plus the armor they drop is nice too. Finally changed from the Dragelic armor.

UrbanRats

Ok, i'm level 90, am i too overleveled to do come coop in NG? I still have plenty of areas to see, too.
I figured i could help someone with the Smeltered Demon, to practice it a bit.

I'm a sunbro, btw.

Despite putting 200 hours in it, i never did the white phantom in DkS1, so i figured it was time to try.

so can somebody straight up tell me what the parry timing like is in this game? in the first DS you had to parry right when the weapon started coming forward, but I can't seem to ever EVER get the timing right in DS2.

Talking PVE, I don't care about PVP really.

What always throws me is "which attacks can be parried?" But, anyways, in my experience parries work just before damage would be dealt. So the beginning of your slapping or shrugging animation has to coincide with the exact moment the damage would be dealt. By this I mean, the actual damage your character receives, not the beginning of an enemy's attack. Similar to a dodge.

With that said, I can only parry very slow sword attacks with any sort of confidence, and only with the Falchion I've been using all game. I've found that familiarity and experience are the most important aspects, so I would suggest practicing on some weak enemies to nail down the timing of your weapon, and then figuring out the timing on a case-by-case basis for all other enemies.

Now that I think of it, I'm not sure whether Agility affects parries. I'm inclined to think no, but y'never know...

Edit:
Ok, i'm level 90, am i too overleveled to do come coop in NG? I still have plenty of areas to see, too.

I'm a sunbro, btw.

I'm level 140 and I still haven't completed the game.

I don't have have to wait too long to invade at Belfry Sol or to be being summoned as a shade for bosses, so I can't imagine you would have any problems.

EditEdit:

Wait people say can"NG" to refer to their first run?

Madness ahead...

greenfish

Banned
which area were you trying to do anyways? Because Bonfire ascetics are supposed to work. I have only used one in front of the boss in Iron Keep, and it made the mobs in that particular area stronger and the boss respawned stronger.

Trying to farm for manikin sword. Which after 8 hours and 3 bonfire aestics i've completly given up on. Nah scratch that, the game gave up on me. The RNG makes no sense on that item, none what so ever. I had a jester/+ring+coin, I had the stats.

I've tried burning at the 3 bonfires in that place (earthpeak) no manikins respawned

So now the area will be ng3 or 4+ if I should start a new game.

I think it's downright pathetic the RNG on that shit item is so low. It makes no sense what so ever.

Why not have certain x weapons drop by y phantoms at z difficulty instead? 6 hours of farming for nothing.

Have anyone also noticed hit detection/boxes/iframes are completly off on certain weapons?

Any greatsword will have an invisible area they can hit you. My character is very fast, but i've noticed there a few mm of a zone where they hit you even if the sword interacts with you or not.

Where do we REPORT BUGS?

*bonfire aestic did not respawn enemies for me (3x)
*Token of spite does NOT give me red cracked orbs as it should
*Hitboxes are off

Signed Ninja Gaiden black/sigma no hurt master ninja player Demons souls/dark souls+expansion

UrbanRats

I'm level 140 and I still haven't completed the game.

I don't have have to wait too long to invade at Belfry Sol or to be being summoned as a shade for bosses, so I can't imagine you would have any problems.

EditEdit:

Wait people say can"NG" to refer to their first run?

Madness ahead...

Thanks.
I remember in DkS1 at level 80 you already had to look to finishing the game, for coop (going by the jolly cooperation guide) but in this, i got to 90 almost without realizing it, since most of the points i put in ADP.

Anyway, i was wondering if there was a level guide, to see which bosses are good for which level.
I mean i doubt i'd get summoned for the
Last Giant
at sl 90. :p

I'm a sunbro, btw.

Again, depends on your SM level. I'm close to the same SL and managed to co op ok through that section. I do find it takes a bit longer to get summoned, but there are still a TON of summon signs when I'm human.

Temidien

Neo Member
shit I'm already getting tired of the game after 75 hours in the PC version.

ngbbs4e64e66e2d542.jpg

Sorry, I just find it kinda hilarious that you feel this way. I understand your complaint and sympathize, it's just kinda a ridiculous statement to punctuate your argument.

Vitor711

Ha, I just died to
Congregation

Used two ascetics so they're waaaay above me. Apparently they're magic one-shots me. Got cocky with the spinning halberd power stance move and paid for it.

Was then also surprised at how fast the spiders could kill me now. Never had any trouble with that area/boss before, Got way too cocky. Lost a few souls too trying to shortcut it.

Also,
holy shit I never saw Freja come up before the church before. Made me jump so bad. Had no idea what was going on. Thought there was a third boulder or something coming from behind me

Are there any convenants that are good for gaining soul levels? I've only used the bell convenant to get some chunks, no idea what the rest are like.

Why wouldn't New Game refer to the first game? When you start the first time, it doesn't just say "Game".

Thinking about it that makes sense, but I would associate NG with a new game (after having already played once) instead of a person's first run.

Ahh, entropy of our language! We're turning into Drangleic...
Don't give up, Skeleton.

Lag? Up to this point I noticed some lag in some fights, but nothing major, not that frequent and anyway miles better than DkS1. Of course if some player gets massive lag in a particular fight for some circumstantial reason and then puts the recorded video on youtube, everyone is going to take that particular bad case, among with some others, as the standard PVP experience in DkS2, but that's simply not the case.

It's not the "massive" lag that's the issue. You seem to be ignoring the issue because it hasn't occurred to you. This "it hasn't happened to me, therefore it's not an issue" way of thinking should not be in this situation. Like I've said the lag complaints come from ghost hits and latency issues. Like unto the next point to:

Broken spells/weapons and systems? What? That's the hyperbole. DkS2 is more balanced and more varied than DkS1, in which there were like 3 or 4 strategies that made you always win, and everyone used the same weapons. One massive unbalance, the MLGS buffing, has been patched. Are you referring to the backstep/parry glitch? I've seen the videos, it's certainly there and should be patched, and it will be, but it's nothing major, it's not going to break PVP for the majority of people.

You keep comparing to DS1, but I'm not. I'm completely ignoring DS1 and thinking "it's not as bad as that" which makes it better? There are weapon and spell types that their damage and speed don't seem to coincide with one another. If it takes a guy 1 second to cast a spell that poisons you or shoots something that takes away half of your life or can do three consecutive spins that are near impossible to avoid up close or even block because it eats at your stamina AND does huge damage the balancing is not right when compared to every other weapon/spell that seems balanced enough. Weapon abuse is happening.

Like I've said in other responses, it wouldn't even be an issue because one could theoretically dodge or block these attacks... if ghost hits and lag wasn't an issue. It's not always present but it is present often enough that it's an issue on FROM's side. I even play with cross-region play off. This game is all about timing. When things like ghost hits are common enough, that's a freaking issue because it's taking away the skill of the player when it's a hit that could easily take half of your life.

The backstep/parry glitch is easy to not fall victim to yes, that was never my point but it doesn't invalidate it as an issue. But games have abused glitches all the time. I can't pinpoint that on FROM. What I can complain about is their netcode. If a game is going to be all about patience and timing, make sure that shit doesn't hit the fan so often in PvP.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Well that's all kinds of fun. Doing a couple ascetic runs on the heide knights to get all the armor pieces, and get invaded. Dude kindly gestures to let me finish off the knight while he waits, then we start fighting. He's carrying a massive hammer and simply waiting to break my guard and smash me into the ground in one hit, which he eventually does. Where's the fun in that? I can't really fault the guy for playing that way, but it does seem awfully silly.

Sullichin

Well that's all kinds of fun. Doing a couple ascetic runs on the heide knights to get all the armor pieces, and get invaded. Dude kindly gestures to let me finish off the knight while he waits, then we start fighting. He's carrying a massive hammer and simply waiting to break my guard and smash me into the ground in one hit, which he eventually does. Where's the fun in that? I can't really fault the guy for playing that way, but it does seem awfully silly.

Because it's fun to smash people into the ground with a giant hammer. Give it a try sometime.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
This game looks so damn good but the status effect from the stamina ring is so damn ugly, such an obvious 2d plane.

If you go on the DSII nexus site there is a texture mod that you can use with GeDoSaTo which removes the visual effect of the stamina ring.

Zeliard

That he was willing to let you finish fighting the A.I. is more of a break than you'll get from most anyone else.

ElFly

Yeah, one of the hardest bosses to solo but one of the easier ones to co-op. Ballistas can almost one shot him

As long as your summon bro doesn't ballista you in the back in a lamentable "accident".

I always beeline for the ballistas, cause you cannot be ballista'd if you are the one ballista'ing.

Durante

The Pursuer on the encounter in
Iron Keep
was the hardest boss for me so far, because of his crazy sorcery resistance. Required me to use Miracles to beat him in the end, how disgusting.

Kelas

Because it's fun to smash people into the ground with a giant hammer. Give it a try sometime.

Tried and pretty much immediately got bored of one-shotting people in DS1. No fair competition in it whatsoever, so obviously no real fun to be had. I can see people enjoying it if they're not interested in fair competition for whatever reason (eg. just enjoy oafishly smashing things, or don't have the ability to fight fairly, etc.) Again, people are free to play as they wish, but from my perspective it just seems like a silly waste of time. If they're having fun though more power to them.

ugoo18

Damm the Blacksmiths of Majula are irritating, i feel like punching/hitting the ladder guy and the main one every time i talk to them.

That he was willing to let you finish fighting the A.I. is more of a break than you'll get from most anyone else.

I actually got a Black Phantom that I summoned for PvP when I was invaded. Summoned Black Phantom waves, goes to the invader, and proceeds to fight him instead of me.

He wins, but he's low on HP, and can't heal obviously. So we duel and I win. I wish that guy had put his summon sign down so we could have had a fair duel, he deserved it after going BlueBro on that other guy's ass mid-fight.

I don't remember your name BloodBro, but if you're on GAF, and you dueled a girl in black with a pair of rapiers only to go and own the invader, respect.

impact

Banned
ngbbs4e64e66e2d542.jpg

Sorry, I just find it kinda hilarious that you feel this way. I understand your complaint and sympathize, it's just kinda a ridiculous statement to punctuate your argument.

Well I played the PS3 version for 80 hours

Compared to 300 into DS1 PS3 and ~150 on DS1 PC. Most of the time I was PvPing. PvP in DS2 is just terrible in comparison. Too much lag, too much gimmick builds and the main complaint is soul memory breaks the PvP

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
okay so

looks like it's final boss time

can't decide whether to go and mop up all the ??? areas I missed, or just forge ahead and do a more complete run with a wiki open in NG+.

Dragon Eye
duels seem to be slightly more "honorable" in my experience, but to be fair I haven't done that many.

Kelas

Which just makes it seem more pointless to me. It's a fair amount of his/her own time they're wasting just to kill a person in one hit and move on.

Again, not saying he's wrong for playing the game the way he wants (and the way it's open to be played), but I had way more fun in probably hundreds of DW invasions in DS1 doing stuff that made the fight more interesting than just *smash*, I win.

greenfish

Banned
Yup, not sure if it was dragon spear or what ever.

But that's another weapon with INVSIBLE lenght.

He did a 360 spin attack against me, I was even't clsoe to him, yet I took damage

This is NOT as bad as demons souls or dark souls but it's silly.

So from my own playing:

great swords (invisible hit check) dragon spear (check)

Not really. He's hard for newbies but once you learn his moveset, you can pretty much kill him without really taking a scratch.

Which can be said for all bossess in most games.. so.....

eot

Banned
Aldia's Keep
There's half a dozen messages saying 'pull back' that I can't rate. Are those developer messages? Does pull back mean pull the lever back or pull back from it? Also, the dragon skeleton was missing the second time I went in there, the alive part anyway.

Dresden

Which just makes it seem more pointless to me. It's a fair amount of his/her own time they're wasting just to kill a person in one hit and move on.

Again, not saying he's wrong for playing the game the way he wants (and the way it's open to be played), but I had way more fun in probably hundreds of DW invasions in DS1 doing stuff that made the fight more interesting than just *smash*, I win.

Using a weapon with the giant hammer moveset isn't really easy mode. If he killed you in one hit you basically have no vigor and would have gotten smashed by just about anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom