• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
okay so

looks like it's final boss time

can't decide whether to go and mop up all the ??? areas I missed, or just forge ahead and do a more complete run with a wiki open in NG+.

Don't worry about it. The game doesn't immediately push you into NG+.

Aldia's Keep
There's half a dozen messages saying 'pull back' that I can't rate. Are those developer messages? Does pull back mean pull the lever back or pull back from it? Also, the dragon skeleton was missing the second time I went in there, the alive part anyway.

Don't you dare!

Jito

Banned
Well, biggest kicks in the nuts I've taken on DS in a while. Spent a good 2 hours helping Sun Bros with the
Mirror Knight Boss
. Think I died maybe 2 or 3 times in total. But as soon as I go for my attempt of doing it myself, I got flattened in about 10 seconds, so embarrassing!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Yup, not sure if it was dragon spear or what ever.

But that's another weapon with INVSIBLE lenght.

He did a 360 spin attack against me, I was even't clsoe to him, yet I took damage

This is NOT as bad as demons souls or dark souls but it's silly.

So from my own playing:

great swords (invisible hit check) dragon spear (check)

Which can be said for all bossess in most games.. so.....

In my experience hitboxes in this game are SO much worse than in the original Dark Souls.

I mean look at this

reremake_by_aloo81-d7d2zxq.gif

And compare it to some of the other videos and GIFs that have been posted.

There have been a ton of attacks that have been way off base but still clipped me for damage. It's honestly one of the worst parts of the game.

greenfish

Banned
In my experience hitboxes in this game are SO much worse than in the original Dark Souls.

I mean look at this

There have been a ton of attacks that have been way off base but still clipped me for damage. It's honestly one of the worst parts of the game.

Wow wtf that gif :S

Okay nice to see i'm not alone with this "issue" of course it's like frame rate, some people are more "allergic" to these issues.

//////////////// (just now)
A guy with a club that dealt lighting damage.

He did a spin, I was 1 meter away, still hit me (no light dmg)

As an old ninja gaiden (master ninja no hurt) I detect this piece of shit coding easily :)

Which can be said for all bossess in most games.. so.....

Not those rats though

Endless stream of rats from all angles was fundamentally harder than a single, albeit powerful enemy. I had low health when I fought them and my strongest sword could only kill each of them in three hits. I could take about 2-3 hits without dying, in turn making that the hardest boss for me so far. The chief ratguard thing was a one-hit kill because of the poison

I almost killed the pursuer on my own with about the same stats a few times, then ended up essentially one-shotting him
after using the ballista.
I never got hit by that blue-stab move, but I ALWAYS bit by the rats

ElFly

I mean look at this

[
IMG]http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/094/4/f/reremake_by_aloo81-d7d2zxq.gif[/IMG]

Dunno man. Online, sure, lag makes some attacks hit weirdly. Offline, you sometimes get hit because the roll has less invincibility and range.

greenfish

Banned
Not those rats though

Endless stream of rats from all angles was fundamentally harder than a single, albeit powerful enemy. I had low health when I fought them and my strongest sword could only kill each of them in three hits. I could take about 2-3 hits without dying, in turn making that the hardest boss for me so far. The chief ratguard thing was a one-hit kill because of the poison

I almost killed the pursuer on my own with about the same stats a few times, then ended up essentially one-shotting him
after using the ballista.
I never got hit by that blue-stab move, but I ALWAYS bit by the rats

Oh yeah the "rats" I called them trollats ;)

I also had a frustrating experience with those ones^^

The angle of our weapons is also a problem, I've never managed to kill a crystal bug with my katana, never. So i've completly given up on getting crystal bugs in this game (melee only+2 swords). Like you said those rats we're annoying, but probably easier if you decide to go magic/range.

Arjen

Aldia's Keep
There's half a dozen messages saying 'pull back' that I can't rate. Are those developer messages? Does pull back mean pull the lever back or pull back from it? Also, the dragon skeleton was missing the second time I went in there, the alive part anyway.

Pull it!

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Using a weapon with the giant hammer moveset isn't really easy mode. If he killed you in one hit you basically have no vigor and would have gotten smashed by just about anyone.

39 vig 1924 hp (that's knocked down one hollow notch), wearing the alonne captain/knight set at +10. We both missed/dodged a couple times, then he broke my guard despite being a few feet from me, came over in front of me and locked me into a smash animation (not familiar with its moveset at all, but basically locked into it like a backstab) and took all my hp in one smash.

Zom

Banned

I mean look at this

Aaaah good times.

edit: now I'm member Yay!!

Aldia's Keep

I'm not saying listen to the advice you're given, but listen to the advice you're given.

While hitboxes (or whatever) aren't terrible in DkSII, it is noticeably different from DkS. The one thing that has kept this series so fun is how fair it is, no matter how difficult it gets. If you dodge an attack, you dodge it. If you don't, you get hit.

I'm of the opinion that if it weren't for the fairness of combat and how every decision has permanent consequences, it would fall apart.

Kelas

Awesome. The last piece of the heide set dropped. Was hoping I wouldn't need to burn all my ascetics to grind them out. Wonder if that theory is true of there being better odds of finding the stuff you're likely to be looking for in situations like that.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Dunno man. Online, sure, lag makes some attacks hit weirdly. Offline, you sometimes get hit because the roll has less invincibility and range.

I'm saying that there have been more times than I could count on one hand where I was very, very clearly out of the range of an attack, but I still took damage.

As in like, multiple feet of space between me and the enemys attack (and I don't mean stuff like huge heavy hits where you might take 'tremor' damage or something) and still lost health.

While hitboxes (or whatever) aren't terrible in DkSII, it is noticeably different from DkS. The one thing that has kept this series so fun is how fair it is, no matter how difficult it gets. If you dodge an attack, you dodge it. If you don't, you get hit.

I'm of the opinion that if it weren't for the fairness of combat and how every decision has permanent consequences, it would fall apart.

I agree with this, and that's one of the things that's really bummed me out. There have been quite a few times where the damage I took felt unfair. Many instances where I was in a position where a hit shouldn't have registered against me but it did.

I never found out what it does other than
release the barrier around the insane guy.

Is it supposed to trigger something terrible?

You miss out on quite a few miracles/pyromancies etc, and that dude invades you a bunch of times throughout the game after that.

Dresden

39 vig 1924 hp (that's knocked down one hollow notch), wearing the alonne captain/knight set at +10. We both missed/dodged a couple times, then he broke my guard despite being a few feet from me, came over in front of me and locked me into a smash animation (not familiar with its moveset at all, but basically locked into it like a backstab) and took all my hp in one smash.

Sounds like you got hit with a laggy guard break, which opens you up for a critical hit. Unfortunate, but it'd be the same thing with a dagger.

Sullichin

Tried and pretty much immediately got bored of one-shotting people in DS1. No fair competition in it whatsoever, so obviously no real fun to be had. I can see people enjoying it if they're not interested in fair competition for whatever reason (eg. just enjoy oafishly smashing things, or don't have the ability to fight fairly, etc.) Again, people are free to play as they wish, but from my perspective it just seems like a silly waste of time. If they're having fun though more power to them.

Man, I play with STR weapons and I'm being more "fair" than 90% of people I fight against. I don't use a shield, if I whiff it can be suicidal, I don't buff weapons, and it's my only means of damage. Just because you use a big weapon doesn't mean you're being cheap.

You miss out on quite a few miracles/pyromancies etc, and that dude invades you a bunch of times throughout the game after that.

I see.
I was a melee build so I didn't notice the loss of the miracles but I did notice I was getting AI-invaded by a sorcerer/hexer a lot in the late game. Wasn't that big of a deal. I just cut him to shreds with my +10 Blacksteel. Oh well. I know for the next run.

DeaviL

Banned
PvP can be annoying, but i think it also largely hinges on players' internet connection.
I've had some pretty good matches with accurate hits, and i've had matches where a jumping slash would hit me while i was a mile away.
Also, screw getting backstabbed in the face.

Temidien

Neo Member
Well I played the PS3 version for 80 hours

Compared to 300 into DS1 PS3 and ~150 on DS1 PC. Most of the time I was PvPing. PvP in DS2 is just terrible in comparison. Too much lag, too much gimmick builds and the main complaint is soul memory breaks the PvP

Like I said, I understand your argument, hardcore Souls players have numerous play-throughs and invest heavily in the online components. I was just poking fun a little at the "Well, I've already spent an order of magnitude more time on this game than most people invest in the average game, and I'm upset that I'm not super inclined to keep going."

Honest criticism is great, I'm sure that was your intention, that statement just tickled me.

greenfish

Banned
The problem is NOT strictly related to online.

The hitboxes or iframes is VERY noticeable in single player vs certain bosses.

Still even after this I find to enjoy DS2 more than DS1, a lot of cheat weapons/items from DS1 are not present in this one.

Also prefer the level design in DS2 over 1.

But we're talking about 2 master pieces here. It's like arguing over Terminator 1 or 2 or alien aliens, they are all great

Kelas

Sounds like you got hit with a laggy guard break, which opens you up for a critical hit. Unfortunate, but it'd be the same thing with a dagger.

Ah, thanks. Well that does change things and it seems far less silly now. I had just assumed all of his hits would have been one-shotters, but obviously he was trying to do something a little more involved than that. How I didn't realise there was an attack bonus for guard breaking before now is beyond me :p

KarmaCow

I loved The Gutter. Never really saw the amount of hate it got, honestly.

Mostly, it's a second rate Blighttown even down to
the freakish one off bug thing

edit: though I haven't played Demon's so that might be a series or company thing like the Moonlight Greatsword.

DeaviL

Banned
The problem is NOT strictly related to online.

The hitboxes or iframes is VERY noticeable in single player vs certain bosses.

Still even after this I find to enjoy DS2 more than DS1, a lot of cheat weapons/items from DS1 are not present in this one.

Also prefer the level design in DS2 over 1.

But we're talking about 2 master pieces here. It's like arguing over Terminator 1 or 2 or alien aliens, they are all great

I've almost never noticed the terrible hitboxes, but i don't roll to dodge.
i roll for the invincibility frames.

Denzar

Is it me or is there severe Input lag in this game? Using a 360 controller here. When I press B to sprint or LB to raise my shield, it takes a noticeable time for that action to happen. Never had this before.

Anyone else experience this? Is there a fix (I googled)? Are these consequences of my lvl 53 char and stats?

yatesl

Really? Bollocks. I guess I need to do NG+ to get all the achievements anyway.

And oh my God, D
ragon
A
erie Peak
is beautiful. The Majula sight didn't really impact me, but this was like leaving the dungeon in Oblivion/opening the Vault in Fallout 3.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Is it me or is there severe Input lag in this game? Using a 360 controller here. When I press B to sprint or LB to raise my shield, it takes a noticeable time for that action to happen. Never had this before.

Anyone else experience this? Is there a fix (I googled)? Are these consequences of my lvl 53 char and stats?

I could be wrong but shields are no longer like the previous games where you press the button and it's suddenly up. There is some animation there probably shortened by putting points into ADP.

The sprint lag is most likely because you tried to run after exhausting your stamina bar. There's a penalty for that - you have to wait for it to fill all the way back up.

ElFly

I think the shield rising is slower compared to previous games. Dunno if it can be improved with stats. e: oh yeah, there's extra animation

I saw a message next to the bonfire in the area with the Dragon Rider boss. It said something like "remember... this place again?" Can't remember exactly what it said, but it sounded like
it meant this place was an older (newer?) version of a place in Dark Souls. Is there anything that confirms that either way Y/N?

ElFly

Also, I saw a message next to the bonfire in the area with the Dragon Rider boss. It said something like "remember... this place again?" Can't remember exactly what it said, but it sounded like
it meant this place was an older (newer?) version of a place in Dark Souls. Is there anything that confirms that either way Y/N?

Was it a message that you could rate?

Unrateable messages are left by the game itself; most noticeable ones are the "pull back" ones before the lever that frees (spoiler: aldia keep)
Navlaan

I've played a little with the miracle that reveals more messages, but haven't found any significant dev message yet.

Thrakier

I saw a message next to the bonfire in the area with the Dragon Rider boss. It said something like "remember... this place again?" Can't remember exactly what it said, but it sounded like

I could swear I played the sam eboss fight in another game. I'm not sure...maybe Psychonauts?

Gazoinks

Mostly, it's a second rate Blighttown even down to
the freakish one off bug thing

edit: though I haven't played Demon's so that might be a series or company thing like the Moonlight Greatsword.

It is a series thing. Blighttown was a second-rate Valley of Defilement. :p The main thing I loved about The Gutter was that it actually required use of the torch, and as such had a very dangerous "exploratory" feel even though the enemies were easy. And no giant pool of poison at the bottom... Unless you count Black Gulch.

Technically Heide is supposed to be the ruins of
Anor Londo.

I'm still not convinced on this one.
Anor Londo was way above the rest of Lordran. Wouldn't it being flooded mean the rest of the world was underwater?

I could be wrong but shields are no longer like the previous games where you press the button and it's suddenly up. There is some animation there probably shortened by putting points into ADP.

The sprint lag is most likely because you tried to run after exhausting your stamina bar. There's a penalty for that - you have to wait for it to fill all the way back up.

It takes a moment to get the speed for a sprint. And yeah, if you run out of stamina you need to wait a bit.

Shields are raised and then, after a brief moment, put into a blocking position. In DK2, you're committing to a block or being hit; there is no more ninja-blocking. I've got no idea if Agility affects the speed of this or whether it is shield specific.

I haven't found shields very useful in DK2 and I think these changes are part of it.

ElFly

It is a series thing. Blighttown was a second-rate Valley of Defilement. :p The main thing I loved about The Gutter was that it actually required use of the torch, and as such had a very dangerous "exploratory" feel even though the enemies were easy. And no giant pool of poison at the bottom... Unless you count Black Gulch.

I'm still not convinced on this one.
Anor Londo was way above the rest of Lordran. Wouldn't it being flooded mean the rest of the world was underwater?

It seems each time the first flame was rekindled, the undead that did it got the chance to reshape the area a little, which lead to new kingdoms rising, like Olaphis.

There's also the thing where the intro shows some ruins similar to the ones seen in Majula, you fall in a typhoon and appear in things betwixt; come out to Majula and you see the sea. If you look at the map of Drangleic, you will see that there is sea to the west, and mountains covered in clouds to the east. The intro calls Drangleic a "walled off land". I take this to refer to the mountains to the east. When you take the elevator to the Aerie from Aldia's, you cannot see the sea under, just land and mountains and clouds, and the stone towers.

But the typhoon and Heide tells me that maybe Drangleic had land to the east too, and that it was somehow -magically- separated from the rest of the world, to leave it more isolated, and thus protect the rest of the world from the curse. As a consequence, the sea cut the area off, and maybe took parts of
Anor Londo
with it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom