• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

Some sort of walking poisonous mushroom, like the ones in DS1, but not quite as people-like.

But I've been known to not pay enough attention to enemy designs, I thought for the longest time the two huge orbs on top of Basilisks' heads were their eyes.

Basiliskeyes.jpg
Those guys were nightmare fuel for me. It didn't help that Curse status was way more crippling in DS1.

HoosTrax

Just go there. Wading through water + ankle high ledges you can't get over + mages + things = fuck that place.
I know exactly the place you're talking about. That walkway under the arches. "Are you shitting me? I have to walk all the way to the start of the walkway when it's only like 6 inches above ground at most?"

Never mind the seven enemies (not even counting lizardmen) packed in front of the fog door. Seriously FROM -- show me a video of one of your developers running that area without zoom sniping -- I'd love to see it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I know exactly the place you're talking about. That walkway under the arches. "Are you shitting me? I have to walk all the way to the start of the walkway when it's only like 6 inches above ground at most?"

Never mind the seven enemies (not even counting lizardmen) packed in front of the fog door. Seriously FROM -- show me a video of one of your developers running that area without zoom sniping -- I'd love to see it.

I didn't, but it was definitely a total pain to get through.

Haunted

Well I don't have an alternate weapon. Is the katana worth leveling dex?
How did you make it this far with only one weapon? :D My Fire Longsword would always be at risk after a while and long before I reach most new bonfires, so I quickly learned to have at least one other weapon at hand as backup. And whether it's a Katana or a Halberd or an Axe or the Heide Knight Sword... they all work fine against the Smelter Demon (which is a fairly hard boss, though). Just... no fire.

I liked the Katana's moveset, but I leveled up both str/dex enough into their mid-20s so I could at least try most weapons (except the Ultra Greatswords and such). If you're already a dex character, the Blacksteel Katana you get from the Knights in Iron Keep has pretty great dex scaling.

Thrakier

How did you make it this far with only one weapon, my Fire Longsword would always be at risk after a while so I had to have at least one other weapon at hand, whether it's a Katana or a Halberd or an Axe or the Heide Knight Sword, they all work fine against the Smelter Demon. Just... no fire.

I liked the Katana's moveset, but I leveled up both str/dex enough into their mid-20s so I could at least try most weapons (except the Ultra Greatswords and such). If you're already a dex character, the Blacksteel Katana you get from the Knights in Iron Keep has pretty great dex scaling.

No I was always fine with the sword +6. Btw any chance that I find a better gear than dragonleic? Or should I level that set?

eot

Banned
Man, a late game area (
Dragon Aerie
) looks amazing. Such a nice surprise that the game doesn't just fizzle out like Dark Souls did.

Anyone else have a problem with some of the doors
with the ruin sentinels behind
not opening in Drangleic Castle? None of the right side ones opened for me after killing the statues.

Mistel

Banned
You could two hand most of those ultra great swords without the required stats to one hand it.

ElFly

Anyone else have a problem with some of the doors
with the ruin sentinels behind
not opening in Drangleic Castle? None of the right side ones opened for me after killing the statues.
You have to kill the statues near the doors, so the soul will go to the door instead of your pocket.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
God damn people summoning in front of sm
elter
and then running away from the boss door to kill some enemies and dying.

yatesl

Although the lighting would have made this game harder, it saddens me that you can see the remains everywhere. How many Pharros locks light all the scones in the room, or light braziers hanging from the ceiling? Killing enemies near golums, only to light a torch and nothing else.

It must have been a 11th hour decision.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
elter

Better then the people who run *towards* Smelter after he does his big flying attack and get smoked by the AOE.

I joined a host yesterday who did it 3 times in 1 fight, so so so god damned stupid.

Grief.exe

It is a very odd omission from the game, they seemed to almost be masterminding many of the events in DS1 and then they disappear.

Maybe they still are.

Didn't someone mention that they are featured in the Shrine of Winter, only with severed heads?
We still have DLC to look forward to, maybe we will see something akin to New Londo or Oolacile.
They may have something to do with resurrecting a piece of
Manus as Nashandra and putting her into power
. Just like Dark Souls 1, they need a powerful undead to complete the job though.

Gbraga

It is a very odd omission from the game, they seemed to almost be masterminding many of the events in DS1 and then they disappear.

Right? With so much fanservice you'd believe they'd at least mention those who were pretty much the protagonists of Dark Souls (
Gwyndolin, Frampt and Kaathe
).

Though it's still possible they were mentioned, I'll try to pay more attention on my second playthrough, only now I realized what may have happened to Gwynevere.

Maybe they still are.

Didn't someone mention that they are featured in the Shrine of Winter, only with severed heads?
We still have DLC to look forward to, maybe we will see something akin to New Londo or Oolacile.
They may have something to do with resurrecting a piece of
Manus as Nashandra and putting her into power
. Just like Dark Souls 1, they need a powerful undead to complete the job though.

Is DLC confirmed? Thought the Tanumura said it was complete as is.

I would love DLC if is as good as AotA.

Haunted

You could two hand most of those ultra great swords without the required stats to one hand it.
I did that with the
Smelter Sword
for a while, but for my first playthrough, I went with the classic "always keep your shield up" approach.

No I was always fine with the sword +6. Btw any chance that I find a better gear than dragonleic? Or should I level that set?
Drangleic is a good set, but there are stronger ones. Twinkling Titanite is fairly rare and most of the really good sets use it, so think hard about where to invest it. :D

Grief.exe

Right? With so much fanservice you'd believe they'd at least mention those who were pretty much the protagonists of Dark Souls (
Gwyndolin, Frampt and Kaathe
).

Though it's still possible they were mentioned, I'll try to pay more attention on my second playthrough, only now I realized what may have happened to Gwynevere.

When I first started playing, I initially suspected Nashandara as Gwynevere as they kept saying she came from outside Drangleic.

Is DLC confirmed? Thought the Tanumura said it was complete as is.

I would love DLC if is as good as AotA.

Nothing confirmed, I would just be very surprised if they didn't have anything.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
For the people having trouble with the Royal Rat Authority,just run into him when he's not attacking,he plays like Sif then.

He's even easier than Sif when you do it that way. When you kill the four little ones at the beginning, the fight is essentially over.

elter

That's a great thing to do if you want to intentionally troll people. Or wait outside the fog gate instead of going in LOL

Garcia

I'm starting to get really annoyed by having to wait over 15 seconds when I want to quit the game. How haven't they fixed this after 2 weeks??

Quit Game > 4 sec. to Press Start screen > Press Start > 10 seconds (connecting to servers) > Main Menu > Quit game > You're out.

What the fuck, From?

Gbraga

I'm starting to get really annoyed by having to wait over 15 seconds when I want to quit the game. How haven't they fixed this after 2 weeks??

Quit Game > 4 sec. to Press Start screen > Press Start > 10 seconds (connecting to servers) > Main Menu > Quit game > You're out.

What the fuck, From?

I just go to the press start screen and then hit alt f4

Mistel

Banned
I did that with the
Smelter Sword
for a while, but for my first playthrough, I went with the classic "always keep your shield up" approach.
I prefer a Pursuer sword to the smelter one myself out of the boss ones. It's lighter than a greatsword and scales better at max upgrade level. But considering it's A/C vs A/D for strength dex it might be a case of picking the one you liked.

That's a great thing to do if you want to intentionally troll people. Or wait outside the fog gate instead of going in LOL

I got an idea for Leroy Jenkins troll character. Just do coop and run straight through areas to aggro as many mobs as possible an just let your party get swarmed.

God Dammit Leroy!

Garcia

I just go to the press start screen and then hit alt f4

I tried this twice but got an error when I started the game. The first time I Alt+F4 the game I lost all my pre-order weapons (they were back after 2 reloads). The second time the game told me I would loss items and other progress if I don't quit the game correctly. That's why I've been doing it the regular way.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

What the fuck, From?

In game if you press Alt + F4 it just slowly fades out then goes straight to desktop. Saves where ever you are, and works quickly and perfectly.

Facism

yeh i wouldn't be surprised if they announced DLC alongside a "Prepare to Die" rerelease across all platforms including next-gen. Worked out for them last time

B95B44D0B7D7BBF619D4F82019F0EA574756C7EA

Here's my character so-far... I'm really enjoying Dark Souls 2 at this point. I've had some hardship, and some troubles... But that's the fun of it!

Garcia

In game if you press Alt + F4 it just slowly fades out then goes straight to desktop. Saves where ever you are, and works quickly and perfectly.

I haven't tried this. The times I did Alt + F4 the game were after I chose to Quit within it. It's so weird that I got errors by doing it the regular way though. Thank you for the tip, Alo. Will try this out tonight. I didn't know about the fade to black thing.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I haven't tried this. The times I did Alt + F4 the game were after I chose to Quit within it. It's so weird that I got errors by doing it the regular way though. Thank you for the tip, Alo. Will try this out tonight. I didn't know about the fade to black thing.

Glad to help. Quitting the "legitimate" way is totally a pain in the ass. Knowing the Alt+F4 trick makes fidgeting with settings and taking ridiculous resolution screenshots a much nicer experience.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I hate the pursuer. Ornstein and Smough dont got nothing on this asshole :(.

Edit: to make things worse, the one time I got him in position for the balista, I forgot to actually fire it. Lmao

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
can you explain exactly what this does?

i dunno what a deadzone even is lol

Deadzone basically means "the controller is not gonna look at any movement within this zone"

So by default, DSII seems to sort of stick to a grid of UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, and then the diagonals are full analog.

Normally, it would be "ignore small movements near the middle, acknowledge everything else"

Havel

can you explain exactly what this does?

i dunno what a deadzone even is lol

Basically it is how far you need to push your analogue stick for the game to register it. Dark Souls 2's was dreadful because you had to push it a big amount before your charcter or camera even moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom