• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yeah I about flipped when I entered Belfry Luna's fog gate and THAT THEME started playing. Sogood.gif

Yeah, even though it's pure fan service, I still got chills

Stefan™;110932738 said:
Demon's Souls still has the best soundtrack, but Sif's theme remains as my favourite track from the Soul series.

Demon's > DS > DS2

I should replay DeS because I hardly remember any tracks from it!

bigol

Ruin Sentinels
is one of the best themes in the series. Just incredible. First time through the game, the fight can be too tense to notice it though, happened with me at least.

Otherwise I really love the Skeleton Lords and Mirror Knight themes. There were more standouts in DkS I.

Ruin Sentinels theme is Smelter Demon theme too

Dual avelyns! Total bullshit build!

Edit: I'm not proud to say it, but it's dumb to leave money on the table. I used SAM to get the last few achievements so that I don't miss out on dem Playfire bux.

After they register I'm going to remove the achievements though because I wanna get them legitimately.

This is why we can't have nice things. Way to go.

How do you get that many? Jester armor is only giving me 770.

Theres a ring that increases souls as well, Silver snake ring or something?

I know i said this before but i really, really miss the cool Boss intros from DS/DeS.
Mirror Knight was crying out for a cool intro. It just helps make the bosses mo much more memorable. Even an easy boss like Pinwheel, man his intro was creepy as all fucking hell. And in DS2 when you do get an intro, its mostly just dull. Old Iron Kings sucked, for example.
"Ohh big scary monster walks toward the screen, the end"

I dont know why they did away with the intros in DS2, another misstep overall.

Oh and yay, i finally got the awesome looking, boss as fuck Farran Knight armour, you know, the kick ass armour they used in every promotional video for the game! And its so late in the game that its stats are shit and theres no point using it at all! Yay! Just like 70% of all the loot in this game!

Sid

OK so what is the strategy against Vendrick? I messed up by melee build but now can use Soul Geyser and Soul Vortex but they hardly hurt him.

Oh and yay, i finally got the awesome looking, boss as fuck Farran Knight armour, you know, the kick ass armour they used in every promotional video for the game! And its so late in the game that its stats are shit and theres no point using it at all! Yay! Just like 70% of all the loot in this game!
300 souls for a ladder?... Cutscene.

Cool ass boss fight?... Nothing.

'The Old One' from DeS is my favourite from the Souls series, with The Last Giant coming in second (Albeit a very distant second, at that). Unpopular opinions!

FloatOn

oh god I just made it to demon of song...

those wizards made it a really bad time getting there. easily the most frustrating part of the entire game

Mistel

Banned
OK so what is the strategy against Vendrick? I messed up by melee build but now can use Soul Geyser and Soul Vortex but they hardly hurt him.
If you are melee you can simply stand behind him an whack him to death I did it with a mastodon greatsword. Have you got all the giant souls?

Uthred

Gotta embrace that fashion souls spirit, I refuse to use drangleic on any more characters I start!

kionedrik

Do you have the Giant Souls?

For melee is pretty easy, just move around his legs and whack away after his swings.

JimPanzer

never cared for the stats in a souls game, I always go with what looks best to me. ultimately you don't want to get hit anyway.
used farran to finish the game and now using syan armor in NG+, dat cloak physics.

never cared for the stats in a souls game, I always go with what looks best to me. ultimately you don't want to get hit anyway.
used farran to finish the game and no using syan armor in NG+, dat cloak physics.

Fashion Souls > Stats - This is why I'm using Throne Defender set minus a helm (helps that the Defender's Shield is mint as well)

Moff

this game needs transmogrification, I had to change my gender in the coffin because the lion mage set looked so silly on my male character.

Gbraga

So GAF, I have some doubts about that peculiar thing you encounter in Tseldora towards the end of the game:
Why was the Ancient Dragon in Tseldora? It's really weird that both Seath's soul and the Ancient Dragon would reside the same place, or maybe the Ancient Dragon was the previous holder of Seath's soul? Though the Dragon Memory seems to be older than Crystal Cave, so I really don't get it.

It also strengths the possible connection between Aldia and Tseldora, among all the other things they share, the dragon Aldia chose to revive was in Tseldora along with Seath? There can't be so many coincidences between the two. I don't really believe that Aldia = Tseldora because of the Freja soul description (IIRC), that says the duke became something himself, so I'm back to the "the duke is one of the heads" theory, though he was definitely connected to Aldia somehow.

I can see them putting all those "coincidences" to make us realize that they were working together to some extent, but I can't see them making something as big as putting both Seath's soul and the Ancient Dragon body on the same place without any further explanations, so I believe it's just that I wasn't able to make the connection.

Uthred

this game needs transmogrification, I had to change my gender in the coffin because the lion mage set looked so silly on my male character.

Yeah I'd love transmog. Though in the specific instance of the lion mage set, I used it for nearly my entire first run, but then didnt bother with later caster characters, the extra casting speed didnt seem to make a noticeable difference (certainly nowhere near as much as the +2 casting speed ring)

HoosTrax

Check out the thrust defense on Smelter chest armor relative to the other defenses. :>
I never thought to try poking him to death in his exposed midriff :|

That's a pretty funny detail. I'm sure it was intentional too, as the other three pieces have normal thrust defense.

Haunted

So GAF, I have some doubts about that peculiar thing you encounter in Tseldora towards the end of the game:
Why was the Ancient Dragon in Tseldora? It's really weird that both Seath's soul and the Ancient Dragon would reside the same place, or maybe the Ancient Dragon was the previous holder of Seath's soul? Though the Dragon Memory seems to be older than Crystal Cave, so I really don't get it.

It also strengths the possible connection between Aldia and Tseldora, among all the other things they share, the dragon Aldia chose to revive was in Tseldora along with Seath? There can't be so many coincidences between the two. I don't really believe that Aldia = Tseldora because of the Freja soul description (IIRC), that says the duke became something himself, so I'm back to the "the duke is one of the heads" theory, though he was definitely connected to Aldia somehow.

I can see them putting all those "coincidences" to make us realize that they were working together to some extent, but I can't see them making something as big as putting both Seath's soul and the Ancient Dragon body on the same place without any further explanations, so I believe it's just that I wasn't able to make the connection.
Wait, if the Duke became one of the heads (is that alluded to somewhere?), who is the hollow in the Duke's chambers? I thought he was the Duke after he lost his mind.

And the connection between the two seems to be that they were both scientists experimenting with soul transplantation and weird inhuman experiments. Aldia with dragons trying to find a way to stave off the curse (as they are impervious to it), Tseldora with spiders because... well, dude just really loved spiders.

But this is a discussion better had in the Lore thread, I think.

Haunted

You have to look at it this way, almost every armour can be made to work in DS2, even if Drangleic and Vengarl's are probably the best sets when just looking at the stats.

didamangi

I'm almost out of human effigies because of you guess it... Da
rklurke
r :(

I got her down to 10% health before "they" gank me and that prompted me to ragequit :(

Using a fire halberd does great damage to her but once she splits I always managed to fuck it up and get sandwiched between them.

Any tips? Playing as a strength halberd character, have no spells.

Moff

Yeah I'd love transmog. Though in the specific instance of the lion mage set, I used it for nearly my entire first run, but then didnt bother with later caster characters, the extra casting speed didnt seem to make a noticeable difference (certainly nowhere near as much as the +2 casting speed ring)

the lion mage set is weird, the casting bonus in paper seems to be quite big.
its like 330 vs 270. but yeah, its not raelly noticeable while playing, is there a softcap for casting speed?

but since I could level the lion mage set without twinkling titanite, its now better than the good looking alternatives anyway.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
rklurke

I got her down to 10% health before "they" gank me and that prompted me to ragequit :(

Using a fire halberd does great damage to her but once she splits I always managed to fuck it up and get sandwiched between them.

Isn't she weak to miracles? Why don't you try imbuing your weapon with lighting? She's pretty easy to avoid before she clones herself

Gbraga

Wait, if the Duke became one of the heads (is that alluded to somewhere?), who is the hollow in the Duke's chambers? I thought he was the Duke after he lost his mind.
It says that the Duke himself became something unrecognizable, or something like that, so, while that body may be Tseldora's, that was not his final form (lol). It's not directly alluded that he is one of the heads, but he was definitely influenced by Seath's soul, which was fused with his dear Freja (not sure if it's a spider or his lover) to give birth to what we fight. We know Tseldora and Seath were connected, we know Freja has Seath's soul, the duke became a monster and Freja has two heads, so that's just my baseless theory. I don't think the game ever mentions Tseldora and Freja actually becoming one.

And the connection between the two seems to be that they were both scientists experimenting with soul transplantation and weird inhuman experiments. Aldia with dragons trying to find a way to stave off the curse (as they are impervious to it), Tseldora with spiders because... well, dude just really loved spiders.
Well, yes, the connection between their characters, sure, but I mean a connection as in they actually knowing each other and helping each other for some reason. It can't be a coincidence that
Aldia conducted creepy experiments just like Seath, decided to resurrect the Dragon found in Tseldora/Seath's archives and even possibly created a dragon crossbreed, which even references Priscilla on item descriptions.

Maybe Seath contributed to Aldia's experiments and research, including knowledge on the crossbreed so Aldia could try to make the Emerald Herald in order to break the curse.

There's really no evidence of any of what I'm saying (at least as far as I know), but it's hard to believe those are all coincidences.

But this is a discussion better had in the Lore thread, I think.

I agree, but please bear with me just until I beat the game, I don't wanna get spoiled, but I believe I'll finally beat it today (and then go straight to NG+ :D)

rklurke

It's a she? Didn't know that! Interesting.

About the fight,
it was definitely the hardest boss in the game for me so far, playing with a melee dex build. What did the trick to me was being less aggressive when she splits, instead of just attacking cause I know how to avoid all of her attacks, instead just run and pay attention to both at the same time, and wait for the best opportunity to attack. Have patience. When one of them goes to the air to fire that beam that's easily dodgeable, avoid it and go hit the other one.

Mr Git

How many
souls of a giant do you have? You'll want five, really. Then don't bother with magic at all for the fight, much easier to melee. Keep trying to get behind him. always roll to his left (your right) and you'll avoid all his attacks. And don't get greedy, one or two swipes at a time ;)

Gbraga

Also, did a quick respec to prepare myself to NG+, ditched the dual katanas and I'm now with a shield and a bow on my left hand and washing pole and curved dragon greatsword on my right hand. They all look pretty cool, but honestly don't feel really useful. I guess the washing pole can be quite good on PVP with that ridiculous range + phantom range, but as far as PVE goes, I see no reason not to just two hand the Curved Dragon Greatsword instead of using the Washing Pole and the shield. I guess playing more than 60 hours dual wielding made it so I didn't get used to blocking, so it honestly feels useless.

Any reason for me to keep the washing pole and the shield other than PVP? Having both dual katanas and a Murakumo felt waaay more useful.

In NG, I beat him with
4 Souls of a Giant and a Mastodon Halberd +10. Actually, I just kept to his left leg (your right) which he always kind of keeps to the front, so if you walk/push into him from that side, kind of between his legs, I noticed that he'll almost always swing his sword the same way and never even come close to hitting you. I just kept walking into him and hitting after his attack and beat him without a problem, although it's a kind of a long and tedious fight. The annoying thing is that he likes to jump away from you from time to time so you have to readjust.

Anyway, I'm plowing through NG+ much easier than I expected. Beat
Sinner
and
The Rotten
on my first try. Died a bunch of times like an idiot against
Freja
, even managed to kill her while a stray spider jumped from the side and killed me at the same time, so I had to do it all over again. Raw Mastodon Halberd +10 still does the job nicely although am I crazy or does the halberd degrade much faster in NG+? I don't know what's the case, tougher enemies or maybe the Raw upgrade, but I'm not really hitting many more times yet sometimes the durability chips away significantly faster. It's like the game registers hitting through walls or the floor and sometimes it doesn't.

Forkball

Oh my, I fought the final boss by accident. I put down my summon in
Drangleic Castle
expecting to help a guy go through the level, but he opened up a secret door that went straight to the final bosses. Proud to say I didn't die (though the host did).

I tried to get summoned by LGK but he wouldn't take me. I read a strategy about the best way to do it, but I only got summoned for battles vs other people on that bridge. I WANNA HELP THE KNIGHT.

Also, my current armor is full Smelter Demon with the LKG torso. I look hideous.

What's up with the censoring of words in this game?

edit: wait, there's actually 1,200 censored words? -____-

http://pastebin.com/DLpHA40C

2gurls1cop it is

Some of these are incredible.

angrypirates
bean count
boinks
finger
men2men
qq more
woof

I thought for sure my name would appear as Fork**** but turns out it's ok. I got summoned by a guy named Snowball once.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I'm trying to figure out if < 50% equip load is worth it for the extra roll distance. I currently have enough vit to wield a light shield, mastodon halberd and bow, and a full alonne set while staying under 50, but I could put so many points elsewhere if I dropped down to the lighter heide set, and furthermore just settled for < 70%.

didamangi

Isn't she weak to miracles? Why don't you try imbuing your weapon with lighting? She's pretty easy to avoid before she clones herself

I do have a +10 lucerne lightning as well, but I think the dragon fire halberd does more damage than that so I guess she's most vulnerable to fire.

About the fight,
it was definitely the hardest boss in the game for me so far, playing with a melee dex build. What did the trick to me was being less aggressive when she splits, instead of just attacking cause I know how to avoid all of her attacks, instead just run and pay attention to both at the same time, and wait for the best opportunity to attack. Have patience. When one of them goes to the air to fire that beam that's easily dodgeable, avoid it and go hit the other one.

Got her down to 10% health before I died again, with my last effigy as well :(

I know all her attacks, it's just that through bad positioning and or bad luck they got me sandwiched and dead just before I got that 2 final hits. Argh! Gonna cool off and try to get/buy some effigies somewhere I guess.

akira28

Yeah, I saw a "Knight" censored to "K***ht". "Phoenix" was censored to "P**enix", so stupid. Sigh

I don't even care, or mind. Jackasses with horrible troll names are stymied, along with everyone else. They'll just have to choose another name.

I hate when people choose names that seem like they are actual Dark Souls characters. I had to google this sunbro's name just to make sure I wasn't missing an optional NPC.

Gbraga

I wish Mahou Shoujo Braga-tan would fit the character limit :/

I'm trying to figure out if < 50% equip load is worth it for the extra roll distance. I currently have enough vit to wield a light shield, mastodon halberd and bow, and a full alonne set while staying under 50, but I could put so many points elsewhere if I dropped down to the lighter heide set, and furthermore just settled for < 70%.

I feel like 50~60 is still fine, but more than 60 already feels weird.

Newboi

My favorite theme from the souls series is from the Four Kings boss fight in DkS1. I still think DkS1 has the best music and, so far, boss fights of the series.

Anyway, I'm at
Huntsman's Corpse
and I took the path towards the colossium. The
Red Phanton in front of the fog gate
absolutely murdered me lol. I guess I'm supposed to go a different way lol.

Is anyone else here a large club user? The recovery speed of it is still a little wonky to me. Is the two handed swing recovery faster than one handing it? It seems that alot of enemies who don't die or aren't stunned after one hit get a guaranteed on me regardless of my spacing, as my recovery is just long enough for them to counter attack. Is there a way I can mitigate the recovery time?

Gbraga

Anyway, I'm at
Huntsman's Corpse
and I took the path towards the colossium. The
Red Phanton in front of the fog gate
absolutely murdered me lol. I guess I'm supposed to go a different way lol.

Weakness: parrying, don't give up!

So I decided to roam around Sol while the servers were down and saw
You've been invaded by Bell Tower spirit
or something. This probably happened 3-4 times, but I couldn't find the guy. Stepping through the gate sends him back. It's not THAT big of an area. Servers being down wouldn't affect NPC summons, right?

HoosTrax

So I decided to roam around Sol while the servers were down and saw
You've been invaded by Bell Tower spirit
or something. This probably happened 3-4 times, but I couldn't find the guy. Stepping through the gate sends him back. It's not THAT big of an area. Servers being down wouldn't affect NPC summons, right?
He usually spawns closer to the start of the area than the end. Try looking between the two towers next to each other.

Last night had my first real LG Knight fight. Someone must have used a bonfire Ascetic. He was taking a lot less damage than normal and very shortly into the fight summoned another player. Made it a lot more interesting and fun. The poor invader had to take 2 of us on while the host entertained the boss.

The stakes felt so much higher and it was a blast. I can understand why From might want to shield players from this in ng, but everyone should experience the fight as it was meant to be played.

sheaaaa

Anyone know why I can now see all bonfires in the fast travel menu? They appear kinda greyed out and say ??? but I can see them in order and everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom