• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
remind me, the "normal progression" after
forrest of giants - tower of flame - no mans wharf - lost bastille - sinners rise
is
shaded woods
correct?

xanavi

Man, it feels so dirty being a bell-bro but I really need those chunks. At least if I get summoned second in I don't go and DP the guy.

sixghost

remind me, the "normal progression" after
forrest of giants - tower of flame - no mans wharf - lost bastille - sinners rise
is
shaded woods
correct?

Honestly, you can go just about anywhere you want after you beat the two Forest of the Giants bosses. That's probably the way most people go, since you're nudged towards the
Lost Bastille and Sinner's Rise
after you beat
Pursuer
, which gives you your first fragrant branch. I think most people take that as a hint to use it on the person blocking the other path, but
the well
and
Huntsman Copse
are pretty similar in difficulty.

So I've found my first straight up douche. Not even a cheater. Well maybe, not sure. Just the worst PvP sportsmanship. A guy with dual avelyns and havel's armor in a PvP arena that's really small. He was able to consistently shoot these things so maybe they are cheating somehow because I thought it'd take a bit before you could shoot again.

The reason I say poor sportsmanship is because in this small arena I couldn't dodge or block the shots. Literally. It's impossible to dodge all those bullets and not take damage I battled him twice and second time I decided to dodge. It didn't work. If I tried to hit him he had enough time to shoot those things away.

How do you even have fun with that? You're abusing something and you choose the specific arena you can abuse it in. Obviously he's not a faith build seeing what he's using so what's the point? Am I not seeing how much fun it'd be to stand still and shoot, shoot, shoot, without any need to do anything because you'll always hit in this small space? Tomorrow I'll try PvP again, but if this continues I might just do blue sentinels by simply invading sinners and putting on the ring.

That's just not true dude. As long as you're near his back feet you'll always be able to get far enough unless you aren't <70% equip. I just did that boss for the first time a few days ago and was consistently dodging that attack.

Eh maybe. I shouldn't have trusted the strategy to sticking to his head/mouth since he still consistently did that AoE attack. Still it's a boring fight where one fuck-up costs you your life because somebody decided the AoE only has a small spot where you can dodge. At least in DS1 with the fatass jailer demon, you had more than enough time to reach his butt and not get hurt by AoE. But even that one wasn't a one hit kill.

finalflame

So I've found my first straight up douche. Not even a cheater. Well maybe, not sure. Just the worst PvP sportsmanship. A guy with dual avelyns and havel's armor in a PvP arena that's really small. He was able to consistently shoot these things so maybe they are cheating somehow because I thought it'd take a bit before you could shoot again.

The reason I say poor sportsmanship is because in this small arena I couldn't dodge or block the shots. Literally. It's impossible to dodge all those bullets and not take damage I battled him twice and second time I decided to dodge. It didn't work. If I tried to hit him he had enough time to shoot those things away.

How do you even have fun with that? You're abusing something and you choose the specific arena you can abuse it in. Obviously he's not a faith build seeing what he's using so what's the point? Am I not seeing how much fun it'd be to stand still and shoot, shoot, shoot, without any need to do anything because you'll always hit in this small space? Tomorrow I'll try PvP again, but if this continues I might just do blue sentinels by simply invading sinners and putting on the ring.

Eh maybe. I shouldn't have trusted the strategy to sticking to his head/mouth since he still consistently did that AoE attack. Still it's a boring fight where one fuck-up costs you your life because somebody decided the AoE only has a small spot where you can dodge. At least in DS1 with the fatass jailer demon, you had more than enough time to reach his butt and not get hurt by AoE. But even that one wasn't a one hit kill.

People like this, to me, are just sick fucks and take the fun out of the game. You're right, I don't see how any normal human being could ever have fun with that.

R1CHO

Time for some Fashion Souls, how do I look GAF?
screenshot345012ypj1a.png

Divine, what sword is that?

People like this, to me, are just sick fucks and take the fun out of the game. You're right, I don't see how any normal human being could ever have fun with that.

There are people who enjoy shitting on a parade, and have more fun with that than say a proper honorable battle where you do spells/melee. All to him if he's having fun, but this game needs a rating system so I can avoid players like these in the future.

sixghost

This is what worked for me.
If you stay near his rear feet he only seems to do three attacks. The stomp is easy to dodge and doesn't actually do that much damage. The one where he starts flying and shoots fire at the ground, you just run to the tail here. And the one where he inverts his head and shoots fire below his body, you just run to the right here. The only part of him you should be attacking is his feet, since the tail can crush you, and this keeps him in this attack pattern.

The second I mention the dual avelyn thing I googled it and found a redditor whose OP is "Do you have little or no skill? But you still want to dominate people in PvP? And you don't mind one-shotting people with dual avelyns? Then this vid is for you!"

and posts this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FDPSiuM_7k

This isn't even funny now. Well I mean it is funny, but it's not when it happens to you. From fix this shit. The reddit post also confirms my fears that the ghost hits/hitbox with lag make it where dodging is near impossible as you'll always get hit.

eot

Banned
About Shrine of A...
Are they singing the credits song from Dark Souls? Sonds a bit like it.

maomaoIYP

The second I mention the dual avelyn thing I googled it and found a redditor whose OP is "Do you have little or no skill? But you still want to dominate people in PvP? And you don't mind one-shotting people with dual avelyns? Then this vid is for you!"

This isn't even funny now. Well I mean it is funny, but it's not when it happens to you. From fix this shit. The reddit post also confirms my fears that the ghost hits/hitbox with lag make it where dodging is near impossible as you'll always get hit.

Just roll when he raises the avelyns. It's OP but it's perfectly beatable. It's exactly like fighting a dude who relies solely on GRS except the avelyns always have the same timing and a much longer recovery time. A player who holds a regular infinite stunlock weapon in one hand and an avelyn in the other is way harder to beat, he can combo directly into an avelyn shot. Completely unavoidable.

Mistel

Banned
Divine, what sword is that?
Mirrah greatsword.
Time for some Fashion Souls, how do I look GAF?
screenshot345012ypj1a.png
Without that ugly mask probably much better.
Ugh never, I'm trying to maintain some sense of style here. Besides, it's like a 10 damage difference at maximum upgrade level and morning star has the bleed effect (but I have no idea what that does :D).
Better scaling on the maces so you get more damage. Bleed once the meter is filled drains a % of health and shrinks the stamina bar.

Just roll when he raises the avelyns. It's OP but it's perfectly beatable. It's exactly like fighting a dude who relies solely on GRS except the avelyns always have the same timing and a much longer recovery time. A player who holds a regular infinite stunlock weapon in one hand and an avelyn in the other is way harder to beat, he can combo directly into an avelyn shot. Completely unavoidable.

Maybe it's because every other situation in DS has taught me to roll at the last possible second, but never considered this. Don't know if it'd help with lag, but we'll see. As to longer recovery time I didn't see it. The second he stopped I'd attack and after one hit from me he'd already be shooting again. I didn't even have time to hit him again to stun him, he probably had poise up the wazoo.

maomaoIYP

Maybe it's because every other situation in DS has taught me to roll at the last possible second, but never considered this. Don't know if it'd help with lag, but we'll see. As to longer recovery time I didn't see it. The second he stopped I'd attack and after one hit from me he'd already be shooting again. I didn't even have time to hit him again to stun him, he probably had poise up the wazoo.

Once you've gotten the timing down, roll towards him. Also avelyns have a very high stamina cost, if you can bait him to shoot till he runs dry he has no way of escaping a roll in attack.

Will do. I've dealt with bad ghost hits and people trying to abuse the backstab/parry glitch, but the former is a reality of this game that won't stop, and the latter is a glitch that honestly doesn't work against me since I tend to wait for an attack before I attack. This is the first time I've dealt with this 'press trigger to win' build. It just takes away from my faith I have in the community. I'm regretting now not doing my PvP's in NG.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
dude those minotaurs in shaded wood SUCK for casters. luckily they are easy to kill with a sword but damn, take less magic dmg why dont you :/

edit: with that said, thats shaded woods done. I forgot it lead to stupid
doors of pharros
>_> also, when I went to shaded woods on my first character I could unpetrify a lot more statues than I can this time, where the hell did I get so many branches on my first character?

Honestly, you can go just about anywhere you want after you beat the two Forest of the Giants bosses. That's probably the way most people go, since you're nudged towards the
Lost Bastille and Sinner's Rise
after you beat
Pursuer
, which gives you your first fragrant branch. I think most people take that as a hint to use it on the person blocking the other path, but
the well
and
Huntsman Copse
are pretty similar in difficulty.

I never got a fragrant branch after that fight? I ended up going on a much harder route and after the Forest went to Bastille -> Sinners Rise -> Huntsmans Copse -> Earthen Peak -> Iron Keep, and only then bought a fragrant branch from the merchant, and was then able to unlock the shaded woods

eot

Banned
I never got a fragrant branch after that fight? I ended up going on a much harder route and after the Forest went to Bastille -> Sinners Rise -> Huntsmans Copse -> Earthen Peak -> Iron Keep, and only then bought a fragrant branch from the merchant, and was then able to unlock the shaded woods

It's in a chest in the bonfire room I think.

Rhaknar

went to
Huntsman Copse
instead of doing
doors of pharros
and its easier than I remember. maybe its because it leads to the
chariot boss
that I thought it was higher level

is there any staff that works for both int and faith? this having to change to a chime for some hexes shit sucks :/

Dhuie

Neo Member

The downside of game info on the internet. Ghey builds and cheap tactics published for the worlds wankers to see. Just as bad as IGN's best weapon & perks set up for FPS.games.

Let people work out stuff for themselves.

dude those minotaurs in shaded wood SUCK for casters. luckily they are easy to kill with a sword but damn, take less magic dmg why dont you :/

edit: with that said, thats shaded woods done. I forgot it lead to stupid
doors of pharros
>_> also, when I went to shaded woods on my first character I could unpetrify a lot more statues than I can this time, where the hell did I get so many branches on my first character?
Yep, they have high elemental resistance. They very easy to bait and backstab though, I carry a non-infused weapon upgraded a little purely for these guys.

You probably did things in a different order for the branches, there's a couple in Harvest Valley just as loot early on.

The downside of game info on the internet. Ghey builds and cheap tactics published for the worlds wankers to see. Just as bad as IGN's best weapon & perks set up for FPS.games.

Let people work out stuff for themselves.
Spelling it differently doesn't alter your mis-use of the word.

Trying to farm the Llewellyn Set is becoming very frustrating, really don't want to use an Ascetic :-/

Covenant question - If I leave the Sun Bro's for another covenant will my level remain so I can pick them back up later or does it get reset to 0. Cheers.

Wow, I tried that deadzone fix for 20 minutes and thought it felt weird. Removed it and then went back to the game and HOLY CRAP I can't believe I never noticed how huge the deadzones are in this game. Definitely going to keep using the fix and get used to it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Originally, my plan was just to do something like 40VIG/40STR/40DEX on my dual wielder. Then I figured I would have more fun if I branched out and get some magic to compliment my dual wielding (most notably elemental weapons).

So what's good? Pyros? Magic? Hex? No Miracle please, I already have a Miracle character.

Moff

If you are doing a dual wield character I guess pyros makes the most sense, since you only need to spend souls on ATN and nothing else

Uthred

Originally, my plan was just to do something like 40VIG/40STR/40DEX on my dual wielder. Then I figured I would have more fun if I branched out and get some magic to compliment my dual wielding (most notably elemental weapons).

So what's good? Pyros? Magic? Hex? No Miracle please, I already have a Miracle character.

Hex requires both Int and Faith as Dark damage scales of the lowest of the two (and stops at 30/30) so thats a big investment for a "dip", Pyromancy scales of Int or Faith or more correctly your Fire DMG bonus which both contribute too (it caps at 60, though you can split that however you want or just have it in one stat e.g. 60 INT or 20 INT 40 Faith, etc, all give the same bonus), Sorcery scales off Int, the higher level spells have really high requirements and the lower level spells are probably the weakest of the four types. If you just want them for the various weapon buffs just hit the minimum targets to get those (Dark Weapon requires 16I/14F, Flame Weapon just needs the pyromancy glove, three levels of magic weapon require Int of 10/18/28, Sunlight Blade requires 36F)

nah, if you did the valley of defilement before you can eat those two fro breakfast
Absolutely! I think the dark areas got progressively easier through the series.

The Gutter is fun to explore because it's the only place where the torch mechanic works as originally intended. It's like an exploratory puzzle in itself to light all the torches. Great area, and definately worth doing very early if the enemies feel too easy otherwise. The Gulch is only annoying because of the stunlock from the poison spit, it's also a nice looking area - I did not expect a radioactive-neon cave when I got down there, nice work From.

Jintor

At least Gulch is pretty short. I actually like Gutter and Gulch conceptually, but taking out those statues every time is a real pain in the arse (until you unlock the bonfires of course)

kionedrik

This might seem a minor annoyance in the long run, but at the early stages of the game it screwed me over. I started a new deprived character with the intent of pursuing a pure caster build (sorcery into hex). If you miss the hidden door in the Cardinal Tower, you can only get a catalyst in No-Man's Wharf...

It almost seems the game wants you to spend souls into a physical build early-on and spend a soul vessel to respec once you finally get the tool you need for the build you want. There's no reason to not have a vendor sell it at the start of the game like in DS1.

Styles

nah, if you did the valley of defilement before you can eat those two fro breakfast

I see people complain about Harvest Valley, The Gulch etc. but IMO, nothing comes close to the tediousness that is the VoD.

And I love The Gutter; one of my favourite areas in DS2.

So I was doing co-op with this dude who was just hanging around at Belfry waiting to get invaded and he just gives me 17 souls of hero.
That's 170000 souls.
Thanks dude!

I can barely get through that place without getting invaded. One dude killed me while I was also fighting another invader and the one of those black knights with a huge sword and when I die he drops when of those "I'm sorry" sound bites...
This game man...

Sickbean

Yeah 5-1 and 5-2 make all other similar areas look like a piece of piss.

I found 5-2 in particular gave me the sweatiest palms of any game ever.

eot

Banned
At least Gulch is pretty short. I actually like Gutter and Gulch conceptually, but taking out those statues every time is a real pain in the arse (until you unlock the bonfires of course)
I was able to just sprint through there, didn't get stunlocked.

Are there any memorable boss themes in this game? The last giant was the only fight where I noticed the music (Old Dragonslayer too I guess), but maybe I just need to play the game a few more times. I looked it up and the composer is the same, hmm.

Mistel

Banned
Are there any memorable boss themes in this game? The last giant was the only fight where I noticed the music (Old Dragonslayer too I guess), but maybe I just need to play the game a few more times. I looked it up and the composer is the same, hmm.
Last giant and the rotten's theme is good I think.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Ruin Sentinels
is one of the best themes in the series. Just incredible. First time through the game, the fight can be too tense to notice it though, happened with me at least.

Otherwise I really love the Skeleton Lords and Mirror Knight themes. There were more standouts in DkS I.

Styles

Demon's Souls still has the best soundtrack, but Sif's theme remains as my favourite track from the Soul series.

Demon's > DS > DS2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom