• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gbraga

Anyone know why I can now see all bonfires in the fast travel menu? They appear kinda greyed out and say ??? but I can see them in order and everything.

It's just an end game thing, I guess. Those are all the new locations you'll visit until the end of the game.

sheaaaa

It's just an end game thing, I guess. Those are all the new locations you'll visit until the end of the game.

But why would they suddenly appear? I've only just made it partially through
Drangleic Castle. Just killed the two Dragonslayers.

I think the list unlocks when you acquire the
four Old Souls
. Since you've gotten to
Drangleic Castle
that means you've been able to pass through
Shrine of Winter
which requires
those souls
to open in the first place.

EDIT:

Maybe that's what the
primal bonfires
are for. I think you don't really need to
reignite them
to progress through the game but they might unlock the
full bonfire list
?

Grief.exe

I wish the bonfire menu was a bit more organized. The menu becomes very convoluted and cluttered when you go into the end game areas.

For example, you could probably organize the Grave of Saints, Gutter, and Black Gulch into one sub-menu. They are all in the same vertical hole after all.

Just organize based on geographic proximity. Heide's Tower is the lighthouse that guides ships into No Man's Wharf and Last Bastille, Sinner's Rise, and Belfry Luna are all the same fortress.

Arelaz

The full list unlocks once you get to that area. I suppose it's so you know which areas you've missed, if any, so you can go back and fully explore. Since a lot of these areas are fully skippable, you may have missed things.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I think the list unlocks when you acquire the
four Old Souls
. Since you've gotten to
Drangleic Castle
that means you've been able to pass through
Shrine of Winter
which requires
those souls
to open in the first place.

EDIT:

Maybe that's what the
primal bonfires
are for. I think you don't really need to
reignite them
to progress through the game but they might unlock the
full bonfire list
?

I'm not sure that's when they appear. I didn't notice them until I was halfway through Drangleic castle. Of course it could just be a failure of attention on my part, but I certainly look at that warp screen pretty frequently.

Gbraga

Should I go back to the
Queen in Drangleic Castle
before finishing my playthrough? Will she have any new dialogue for me there? I only have
one memory left, then I'll go kill Vendrick and figure out where the fuck I should go next, which I assume will end the game.

AkuMifune

Banned
Was standing next to a bonfire last night and the game freaked out. Artifacts everywhere, seeing through walls...matrix type shit. Think it was right around the time it came back online.

Just hoping it was a one time thing and not my video card going.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
What stat should I increase so that I can move fast and dodge and roll quickly even with heavy armor?

Grief.exe

Should I go back to the
Queen in Drangleic Castle
before finishing my playthrough? Will she have any new dialogue for me there? I only have
one memory left, then I'll go kill Vendrick and figure out where the fuck I should go next, which I assume will end the game.

Vendrick is actually completely optional. The King's Ring is necessary for further progression though.

Apparently the Queen and the cat both have new dialogue every step of the way.

Gbraga

Vendrick is actually completely optional. The King's Ring is necessary for further progression though.

Cool! I guess I'll talk to them after I beat that boss then :D

I hope there's a true ending where I marry Shana-chan.

BadTaste

At the start of my NG+ I can now dual wield Ultra weapons (whatever you call them), I dunno if I should ditch 1 handed weapons now.. I've been using a 1 handed Mace and 1 handed Sword for ages.

garath

I'm | | this close to buying DS2 as I've been watching a little bit of Kay's let's play. It looks like a lot of fun. I played a ton of Demon's souls, not so much Dark souls. Trying to decide on a character type. I was kind of a heavy hitter str based guy in Demon's souls. Didn't really play enough Dark souls to get a feel for the char types.

I'm torn between maybe a dual wielding dex based fast dagger attacking, rolling, running guy and maybe a straight spell caster. Both viable? I don't really want to handicap myself just for the sake of playing a particular archetype. Trying not to spoil myself too much so I haven't researched them much.

Despera

Banned
Man the Defender Greatsword is such a versatile weapon. I think I'm switching from my Lightning Great Club to it permanently. Just finished off the
Throne Watchers
and it's up there as one of the easiest boss fights. I was kinda expecting an
Ornstein and Smough
kinda a deal but nooope.

I'm gonna miss the Club's one hit kills in PvP though lol.

btw, why can't I use the cracked blue eye orbs? Collected about 35 through the blue sentinel arena battles and now I don't know where I'm supposed to use 'em.

Gbraga

I'm | | this close to buying DS2 as I've been watching a little bit of Kay's let's play. It looks like a lot of fun. I played a ton of Demon's souls, not so much Dark souls. Trying to decide on a character type. I was kind of a heavy hitter str based guy in Demon's souls. Didn't really play enough Dark souls to get a feel for the char types.

I'm torn between maybe a dual wielding dex based fast dagger attacking, rolling, running guy and maybe a straight spell caster. Both viable? I don't really want to handicap myself just for the sake of playing a particular archetype. Trying not to spoil myself too much so I haven't researched them much.

They're both viable. I'm not a fan of spellcasters, but dual wielding is definitely a lot of fun.

Since you're not looking at info, I should probably say that if you go the dual wielding route, you'll want to have 150% the required stats to hold your weapons so you can use the power stance (where you attack with both weapons at the same time).

Man the Defender Greatsword is such a versatile weapon. I think I'm switching from my Lightning Great Club to it permanently. Just finished off the
Throne Watchers
and it's up there as one of the easiest boss fights. I was kinda expecting an
Ornstein and Smough
kinda a deal but nooope.

I'm gonna miss the Club's one hit kills in PvP though lol.

btw, why can't I use the cracked blue eye orbs? Collected about 35 through the blue sentinel arena battles and now I don't know where I'm supposed to use 'em.

I believe you neeed to be part of their covenant.

HoosTrax

I wish the bonfire menu was a bit more organized. The menu becomes very convoluted and cluttered when you go into the end game areas.

For example, you could probably organize the Grave of Saints, Gutter, and Black Gulch into one sub-menu. They are all in the same vertical hole after all.

Just organize based on geographic proximity. Heide's Tower is the lighthouse that guides ships into No Man's Wharf and Last Bastille, Sinner's Rise, and Belfry Luna are all the same fortress.
Oh god...I'm getting visions of a Fez-esque map menu now.

Something that orders things geographically would be handy. I was kind of baffled myself as to the overall progression of the areas I had previously been to until I consulted the map.

I probably should have gone back for the additional dialogue. I'm pretty fuzzy on the Queen's nature / background / motives even after finishing the game.

Sullichin

So I killed
King Vendrick
in NG but didn't
grab his soul.
Does anyone know if I can find it in
Shrine of Amana
in NG+ before beating the boss again?

omg...
NG+ adds up to your previous bonfire ascetics ??

Thought it would all reset (+2 for NG+), but now I'm stuck with some crazy high ones.
I was testing out stuff in NG and burned up a bunch. :(

garath

They're both viable. I'm not a fan of spellcasters, but dual wielding is definitely a lot of fun.

Since you're not looking at info, I should probably say that if you go the dual wielding route, you'll want to have 150% the required stats to hold your weapons so you can use the power stance (where you attack with both weapons at the same time).

Cool. I appreciate that. :)

Grief.exe

Oh god...I'm getting visions of a Fez-esque map menu now.

Something that orders things geographically would be handy. I was kind of baffled myself as to the overall progression of the areas I had previously been to until I consulted the map.

I think the instant travel from the beginning and cluttered fast travel menu causes some confusion and general disconnects with the game world.

I forgot Earthen Peak was directly connected to the Iron Keep for a long time. I thought the boss of the former lusted after Vendrick, not the Old Iron King.

It would also help if you could see part of Iron Keep from Earthen Peak, but I suppose that would run into performance issues. In Dark Souls 1, you would get huge frame drops in Blighttown partially due to rendering all the way to Firelink Shrine if you look upward.

I thought of FEZ and mildly stroked out.

But seriously, it needs an overhaul.

Haunted

That's Ornstein and Lummox for you!
MTSxwHv.png

Lost Bastille already has like 5 bonfires, almost silly that Sinner's Rise is supposed to be its own area with only one bonfire and the boss.

One thing about the sometimes slightly weird bonfire placements that made me understand From's logic a bit better is that there's supposed to be one bonfire close to each covenenant agent.

Haunted

It would also help if you could see part of Iron Keep from Earthen Peak, but I suppose that would run into performance issues. In Dark Souls 1, you would get huge frame drops in Blighttown partially due to rendering all the way to Firelink Shrine if you look upward.
I've made a post about the game's internal geographical errors in the lore thread and
Earthen Peak leading upwards into the (apparently invisible, apparently floating) Iron Keep
is by far its worst offender.

Grief.exe

I've made a post about the game's internal geographical errors in the lore thread and
Earthen Peak leading upwards into the (apparently invisible, apparently floating) Iron Keep
is by far its worst offender.

In my mind I always assumed that elevator went down.

Would make a lot of sense if they are mining below the mountain of Earthen Peak for iron.

EDIT: Just verified and you are right, the elevator goes upwards. What, are they mining ore from the sky? Where did the lava come from?

Booshka

Well I haven't abandoned the covenant, but i still can't figure out where to use these damned blue orbs :\

please halp

You need to be Human form and try to invade in an area that has an Area boss. So, it has to be an active online zone, can't invade from Majula or other places like that where there is no player interaction.

Also, make sure you are in the right blue covenant, one is for PvE scrubs to get help, and the other is for overleveled jackholes to invade Reds and NPC killers.

What I am trying to say, is that you should just join Brotherhood of Blood, and invade as a Red like a real Souls Invader.

BigAT

So I'm about 16 hours in playing without a guide, but I've been using the same fire sword for far too long and I absolutely need an upgrade. Anyone have any recommendations on a good weapon I should go for and upgrade? I'm up to
Rotten, Scorpion Lady and the three Sentinels.

Sullichin

You need to be Human form and try to invade in an area that has an Area boss. So, it has to be an active online zone, can't invade from Majula or other places like that where there is no player interaction.

Also, make sure you are in the right blue covenant, one is for PvE scrubs to get help, and the other is for overleveled jackholes to invade Reds and NPC killers.

What I am trying to say, is that you should just join Brotherhood of Blood, and invade as a Red like a real Souls Invader.

Perhaps you know the answer to this?
So I killed
King Vendrick
in NG but didn't
grab his soul.
Does anyone know if I can find it in
Shrine of Amana
in NG+ before beating the boss again?

Booshka

So I'm about 16 hours in playing without a guide, but I've been using the same fire sword for far too long and I absolutely need an upgrade. Anyone have any recommendations on a good weapon I should go for and upgrade? I'm up to

Buy some weapons, and along with some other weapons you already have, go and try them out on the trash mobs in Forest of Fallen Giants, experiment with them. See how they interact with your stats, your equip load, roll speed, playstyle, etc. Mess around with different attack types, Strike, Thrust, Slash. When you find a weapon you like, pay attention to its weapon class, and look for weapons in its same class, try those out too.

Find a good one? Upgrade it.

EDIT: @Sullichin, I don't think so, pretty sure NG+ resets everything, so I doubt it, but it's worth checking out anyway.

In my mind I always assumed that elevator went down.

Would make a lot of sense if they are mining below the mountain of Earthen Peak for iron.

EDIT: Just verified and you are right, the elevator goes upwards. What, are they mining ore from the sky? Where did the lava come from?

I thought it was a smelter not a mine?

edit: technically it's a keep obviously

ElFly

I feel that the Fire Longsword you get from the forest of the giants can carry you all the way through the game.

If you feel you ain't doing too much damage there are lots of options. One is to dual wield long swords; if you are already invested in the fire longsword, you can use the heide sword with I think....16 str and 15 dex, which isn't that much.

Uthred

The menu certainly does become cluttered and could have been done more elegantly (UI-wise the Souls games always feel a bit ropey). But "very convoluted" seems a stretch, I mean, its a grid layot with limited sub-options, convoluted is about the last thing it is.

Gbraga

Also, did a quick respec to prepare myself to NG+, ditched the dual katanas and I'm now with a shield and a bow on my left hand and washing pole and curved dragon greatsword on my right hand. They all look pretty cool, but honestly don't feel really useful. I guess the washing pole can be quite good on PVP with that ridiculous range + phantom range, but as far as PVE goes, I see no reason not to just two hand the Curved Dragon Greatsword instead of using the Washing Pole and the shield. I guess playing more than 60 hours dual wielding made it so I didn't get used to blocking, so it honestly feels useless.

Any reason for me to keep the washing pole and the shield other than PVP? Having both dual katanas and a Murakumo felt waaay more useful.

Reposting cause I'm considering a new respec to go back to the dual katanas, but I really want to give the Washing Pole a chance before I do it, I love the weapon, and it looks really good with that black set that drops from the horses (forgot the name).

HoosTrax

They would have a hard time reconciling the fact that it's raining near Drangleic, bright and sunny at Belfry Sol, and nighttime at Lost Bastille.

maomaoIYP

Reposting cause I'm considering a new respec to go back to the dual katanas, but I really want to give the Washing Pole a chance before I do it, I love the weapon, and it looks really good with that black set that drops from the horses (forgot the name).

Katanas are probably one of the worst group of weapons for PvE.

Despera

Banned

Jackhole it is then lol

thanks

ElFly

They would have a hard time reconciling the fact that it's raining near Drangleic, bright and sunny at Belfry Sol, and nighttime at Lost Bastille.

Drangleic is supposed to be bigger than the area of Lordran we visited in DS1. The weather / time changes we see make more sense than, say, going down two (three?) staircases from undead parish to the forest and have it suddenly be nighttime.

The skyboxes showing the surrounding areas would have helped more than it hurt.

eot

Banned
I think the instant travel from the beginning and cluttered fast travel menu causes some confusion and general disconnects with the game world.

I forgot Earthen Peak was directly connected to the Iron Keep for a long time. I thought the boss of the former lusted after Vendrick, not the Old Iron King.

The way they put the world together makes me question why they insist on continuous level transitions. I think stuff like the ways in which you travel to the Lost Bastille make more sense. I love that Dark Souls basically didn't need a loading screen if you never died, but that went hand in hand with how they designed the world. Walking from (lategame)
Shaded Woods, through a relatively short Aldia's Keep and getting a glimpse of the Dragon Aerie before the Guardian Dragon fight takes me out of the world a bit
. There are some amazing vistas in the game but I don't have any sense of how Drangleic is put together. It doesn't feel like a place to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom