• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finalow

uh, did they change the treasure chest at the beginning in the forest of the fallen giants or what? It used to have 5 human effigies and now it has only 1.

Just got my hands on a proper PC and the first thing I did was install this game. I'm amazed how much better it looks than the PS3!

I'm having problems getting a Dualshock 4 to work however. I've installed the DS4 to Xinput wrapper but the button mapping seems off and the camera spins uncontrollably when I launch the game. I've tried ticking the "Hide Controller" box to no avail. Any tips? Thanks!

So what is that bell tower area. Are those phantoms other players? first time through I killed "astoria" then another dude appeared and I killed him, but then astoria came back with another dude. The other dude got on the ballista... which I didn't think NPCs could do? I got killed trying to climb a latter

Second time through, I made it up to the roofs and was fighting three dudes at once, dodging almost OHK lightning bolts, but was overcome. Third time, there was a completely unannounced red phantom with dual katanas that looked like the predator

The dwarf just outside that area's doorway did not explain anything well

It just seems like a cluster fuck

Few questions with my faith build:

1) What is a good way to get boltstones if
I'm not a Blue Guardian
?
2) Is it worth it to imbue my Priests Charm with lightning? (50 fth)
3) Is it worth it to imbue my 1H +10 mace with lightning? (16 str 50 fth)

So what is that bell tower area. Are those phantoms other players? first time through I killed "astoria" then another dude appeared and I killed him, but then astoria came back with another dude. The other dude got on the ballista... which I didn't think NPCs could do? I got killed trying to climb a latter

Second time through, I made it up to the roofs and was fighting three dudes at once, dodging almost OHK lightning bolts, but was overcome. Third time, there was a completely unannounced red phantom with dual katanas that looked like the predator

The dwarf just outside that area's doorway did not explain anything well

It just seems like a cluster fuck
The red phantom is an AI, but all the gray spirits you see are other players in the Bell Keepers covenant hunting you down for being on their turf.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'd say the quality of the bosses is better overall, same goes for the areas (individually anyway). For both they don't really reach the highs of the first game (Artorias/intertwined opening areas), but they also stay way above the lows of that game (Bed of Chaos/Lost Izalith). I think if we take both games excluding the DLC I'd say DS2 is better simply because it doesn't have such a drop-off in quality in the second half of the game.
i dunno what people say the second half of dks1 is a drop off in quality, it's just lost izalith that's shit. kiln of the first flame is a short dungeon and gwyn's hilariously underpowered but it's not that bad.

and duke's archives is awesome, so is tomb of the giants and new londo and all the dungeons that come before them are great: undead burg, the depths, blighttown, sen's fortress, anor londo.

the only dungeon i've encountered so far that compared to the ones in dks1 has been iron keep, with smelter demon being probably the only boss fight that compares. there's a couple other cool ones like forest of fallen giants and earthen peak, but they're the exceptions rather than the rule.

all the rest are just different levels of mediocre, some of them looking amazing but being no more than a bunch of corridors that lead to a dead end with a bonfire (like heide's), and others start out great but then you blinked and they're suddenly over (aldia's keep, drangleic castle)

i mean i'm ok with us disagreeing but i really think dks2 overshot it with the quantity of content and most of it ended up being sadly very forgettable.

Most of his issues with the game are equally applicable to the earlier games in the series. None of the games are insanely hard, certainly not anywhere near the level they are populary advertised to be. The ai routines and boss fights in all the games largely only take patience to overcome. The other games are even worse when it comes to using kiting and level design to "cheese" the enemies (this isnt really cheesey though, its usually working as intended I'd say). The other games have less differences in NG+ in terms of content so are even less fun to run through again if he has no interest in doing it here. The individual levels here are as big or bigger than they were in earlier games. Using only one or two sets of gear and being reliant on upgrades is also present in the earlier games (and lack of respecs ties you to even smaller subsets of equipment). The nature of the storytelling is largely the same in the other games, only Demon Souls has a more explicit (though equally obtuse) story so if its the nature of the storytelling thats the issue thats still going to be a problem. The online system and the hint system were present in the earlier games, and are a selling point of the series so nothing different there.

So basically none of his issues, which were well laid out, have to do with any supposed "downgrade" but are largely integral to the series itself. Its fine not to like DS2 or to prefer one souls game over the other but this bizarre whitewashing of the earlier games or series flaws and peccadillo's is just tedious.
i didn't say all his issues but a lot of them are exclusively tied to most dungeons and boss fights in dks2 feeling like underdeveloped cut content. dungeons being tiny and leading up to dead ends, boss fights that don't take even two tries, story being less engaging than in dks1, (he didn't say this but) connections between areas feeling super random and like they make no sense at all. disagree with this if you will but

spare me the saltiness, i'm not whitewashing anything and i'm not denying lost izalith is terrible but one dungeon being bad doesn't compare to 90% of the dungeons being mediocre.

i enjoy dks2 but if you ask me what the souls games are all about i'd never recommend dks2 over dks1 and demons

elfinke

Yes. It's a very fun PvP build.
edit: Infuse them with faintstones, the boost in magic attack counts as spell casting power.

They are very nice powerstanced with the dual straightsword moveset. Infuse them with bleed or poison as it ups the intelligence scaling to B's.

Excellent, that's what I expected. I'm done with hexing - lag has made it far too inconsistent to make it a fun experience. I also expect that my SL (197) and SM (8mil) has punched me into a bracket that I didn't have to deal with in NG when I was PvPing a lot at the Dragon Shrine as a Sorc (that was 70 SL's ago, to be fair). But in any event, I wish to actually hit people with things, without being one of those people, y'know, those Katana people, /spit.

So Blue Flames it is. I'll only have one Soul Vessel remaining after that, so if it sucks, it might be time to start another character.

Sullichin

Few questions with my faith build:

1) What is a good way to get boltstones if
I'm not a Blue Guardian
?
2) Is it worth it to imbue my Priests Charm with lightning? (50 fth)
3) Is it worth it to imbue my 1H +10 mace with lightning? (16 str 50 fth)

1) The frogs in shaded woods/brighstone cove drop them sometimes and Chloanne sells them late game, but why not just join the covenant when you want to buy some? You can leave / change covenants at any time without penalty.
2) Yes
3) Yes

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
i dunno what people say the second half of dks1 is a drop off in quality, it's just lost izalith that's shit. kiln of the first flame is a short dungeon and gwyn's hilariously underpowered but it's not that bad.

I think it's the contrast between the first half and the second half.

First half: Open multilayered world with unexpected connections everywhere, really felt like an organic setting that was masterfully crafted.

Second half: Linear dungeons

The second half wasn't particularly bad but coming off from the first, it's a bit of a let down.

Havel

Neither are very good, the shield probably being worse as it doesn't have 100% damage reduction.

I hope it gets a Steamworks patch very soon, want to replay the first game.

Going back to Dark Souls 1 is like drinking Port after you've had nothing but Lager at your friends house.

zkylon

zkylewd
I think it's the contrast between the first half and the second half.

First half: Open multilayered world with unexpected connections everywhere, really felt like an organic setting that was masterfully crafted.

Second half: Linear dungeons

The second half wasn't particularly bad but coming off from the first, it's a bit of a let down.
what's the second part exactly btw?

like everything after anor londo i imagine?

because yeah they're areas that don't interconnect but most of them are actually really good

tomb of giants and duke's archives are among my favorite dungeons in the series

i can relate but like dark souls 2 is all linear dungeons and the world feels like it makes no sense. you walk forward and take weird elevators that take you to completely different places until there's suddenly a bonfire and game's like OK HERE'S YOUR KEY, GO UNLOCK THAT OTHER DUNGEON

like earthen peak into iron keep is super crazy, why is this lava castle connected by an elevator to a random windmill? and i dunno i can venture some guesses but it's still super awkward and unnecessarily convoluted

anyways yeah my ideal souls game is basically interconnected all the time but freaking high quality stuff, none of these boss school dropouts pinwheel-wannabes like dragonrider and lost sinner and whatnot

maomaoIYP

Excellent, that's what I expected. I'm done with hexing - lag has made it far too inconsistent to make it a fun experience. I also expect that my SL (197) and SM (8mil) has punched me into a bracket that I didn't have to deal with in NG when I was PvPing a lot at the Dragon Shrine as a Sorc (that was 70 SL's ago, to be fair). But in any event, I wish to actually hit people with things, without being one of those people, y'know, those Katana people, /spit.

So Blue Flames it is. I'll only have one Soul Vessel remaining after that, so if it sucks, it might be time to start another character.

My power stanced blue flame build is SL150, just nice for NG arena/ iron keep duels.
This is the exact specifications I used. http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/characterbuild:blue-flame-powerstance-mage

The red phantom is an AI, but all the gray spirits you see are other players in the Bell Keepers covenant hunting you down for being on their turf.

Okay, cool. I was straight kicking some ass for a little while then

Can you summon people to help with that? I don't get what the objective is there. I rang a bell, but that didn't seem to do anything.

Wagram

Just finished my first play through at about 65 hours. I had a lot of the fun with the game. I think it's the weakest of the three in terms of boss encounters, but it's still an absolutely fantastic game. It's like the Uncharted 3 to Uncharted 2 situation.

Bring me a Beast's Soul!!

elfinke

elfinke

I was 99% sure that infusing a blue flame with raw was the way to go.

I've got stones coming out of my ears, so I'll spend a bit of time playing with infusions to find the balance for casting as well as well hitting fools. It does seem that one Raw with another Poison may be the way to go.

to your second part, yes. Probably every single time.

Just finished that part. She was a real bitch. I also missed a bonfire in that area, so that didn't exactly help.

That makes 4/4 on giant souls. woop

I'm only 2/4 so far.

Am I a huge freaking noob? I haven't found a blacksmith to play w/ all of my boss souls yet. What am I doing wrong :lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Okay two questions:

1) How the hell are you supposed to cure Curse this outing?
2) Pharos Lockstones: Farmable or buyable? Limited? I'm in an area that requires TONS of them apparently but have none.

Went to the area past that one, lit the bonfire. NOPE.avi'd on back to this area to call it a day.

Ghost23

Can I get some weapon suggestions? I almost have all the great souls and at the moment I am using a Craftmans Hammer +2 with Dragleic Shield. I am using a strength build, and want to start upgrading a weapon that will last me hopefully the entire game. I have enough VIT to hold a 2H fine, so those are fair game as well. A question though, if you are using your weight for a 2H and shield, does that mean you should wear light armor? How is it possible to wear both heavy armor and use a greatsword without doing the fat roll?

Edit: Also, what upgrade for weapons would be considered the best for strength builds? I've been looking them up but it's somewhat confusing...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Okay two questions:

1) How the hell are you supposed to cure Curse this outing?
Restoring your humanity.

Alternatively, try to get the Ring of Binding in Heide's Tower of Flame, near where Ornstein is. It limits Curse to -25% HP instead of -50%.
2) Pharos Lockstones: Farmable or buyable? Limited? I'm in an area that requires TONS of them apparently but have none.

Limited in the early game, enough in the late game that you can open most places (although you don't want to open every door in Doors of Pharros).

They're never necessary to progression so its up to you whether you want to use them here or there.

maomaoIYP

Can I get some weapon suggestions? I almost have all the great souls and at the moment I am using a Craftmans Hammer +2 with Dragleic Shield. I am using a strength build, and want to start upgrading a weapon that will last me hopefully the entire game. I have enough VIT to hold a 2H fine, so those are fair game as well. A question though, if you are using your weight for a 2H and shield, does that mean you should wear light armor? How is it possible to wear both heavy armor and use a greatsword without doing the fat roll?

Royal soldier's ring +2, third dragon ring, then boost your VIT as needed.
Otherwise yeah you can't.
If you like blunts use large/great club. Swords like greatsword or zweihander are good too.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Oh wow, just saw some videos of wickfut's ENB preset and it looks glorious, will apply it to my NG+ run, hopefully From/Bamco has clarified what will and what will not trigger VAC bans by then. Apparently they disabled VAC for the game for the time being until they sort it out.

Neither are very good, the shield probably being worse as it doesn't have 100% damage reduction.

I hope it gets a Steamworks patch very soon, want to replay the first game.

It would be kind of sweet if DS1 got in on the dedicated matchmaking server action too. Summoning/Being summoned has never been easier.

Shawsie64

Banned
Oh wow, just saw some videos of wickfut's ENB preset and it looks glorious, will apply it to my NG+ run, hopefully From/Bamco has clarified what will and what will not trigger VAC bans by then. Apparently they disabled VAC for the game for the time being until they sort it out.

It would be kind of sweet if DS1 got in on the dedicated matchmaking server action too. Summoning/Being summoned has never been easier.

Just looked it up it does look great! So VAC is definitely disabled at the moment?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Just looked it up it does look great! So VAC is definitely disabled at the moment?

Let me hook you up with a link

Dark Souls 2 Steam Community Thread

Jsauce would be the local Namco representant. It's been disabled since the 8th. So it seems they're aware of how mods are awesome and can make the game even better. (Maybe they're also doing this as a precaution to ensure Dark Souls 1 works with DSFix once it goes Steamworks)

Finished my last boss today (did all of them, optionals included); spent all my boss souls on boss weps and leveled up all my weapons before I started NG+. Also got the
Ancient Dragon Soul
; was pretty cool seeing
what appears to have happened to the Ash Lake area from dark souls 1, judging by the destroyed trees and such in the dragon memory

Probably not gonna get far in NG+ though; I was already getting pissed off at the game towards the end of NG, felt like a lot of shit was getting really cheap. Now I decided to start at Heide's Tower of Flame and
when I realized the red phantoms can apparently roll around and attack at will, be stunned by attacking my greatshield yet instantly recover and roll away and attack way to fast given their weapon, plus they apperantly have a ton of poise
, I rage quitted. I feel like the game isn't even trying to play by the rules at this point and I've just about had it. Plus I haven't had much luck getting summoned so far and am instead being invaded by players almost non stop, and the only reason I play really is for co-op.

Guess I got a good 70 hours out of the game though, so I shouldn't complain. Plus I'm sure I'll give it another go again tomorrow and suddenly be able to get past these guys without any issues at all.

Ghost23

Royal soldier's ring +2, third dragon ring, then boost your VIT as needed.
Otherwise yeah you can't.
If you like blunts use large/great club. Swords like greatsword or zweihander are good too.

What kind of armor and shield would you use with a fire zweihander with flame weapon?

fake edit: looks like I can't even get flame weapon until NG+. Lame....any other suggestions?

Geeze did they stealth buff
Iron King or something? After my melee build I was looking forward to just cheezing him from the corner with lightning bolts, instead now any time someone runs to the fog for he blasts his palm laser right through two walls...

Iron King or something? After my melee build I was looking forward to just cheezing him from the corner with lightning bolts, instead now any time someone runs to the fog for he blasts his palm laser right through two walls...

Palm laser is one of his most telegraphed and easily dodgeable move in his repertoire.

Turn up the sharpness? Didn't have too much of an issue but you could always hug the walls.

Man, trying to kill the
Ancient Dragon
and I am getting murdered left and right by that
AOE fire attack
, can never seem to get out of range :/ Any tips on this boss?

I was doing some co-op at that boss today when I noticed the dragon seemed to be stuck in a loop of doing the same attacks over and over again; I noticed the host and the other phantom were running at the dragon when it did its straight ahead fire attack and attacking its front feat, then when it stopped they would run right back to the entrance; the dragon would fly up and do its AOE attack but they were out of range; then it did the straight fire attack and they ran at it again. Rinse and repeat. I eventually caught on and followed their lead; dragon didn't stray from its pattern once, and it was an extremely easy attack pattern to execute.

TL;DR:
1. When you go in, run right at the dragon's front feet (I usually go to its right foot)
2. It should do the straight ahead fire attack. Attack it while it does this.
3. When it stops breathing fire, run back in front of its head about midway between the dragon and the entrance. It should start to try a flying AOE attack.
4. Run all the way back to the entrance.
5. When it lands run towards its feet, it should try the straight ahead fire attack again. Rinse and repeat.

Probably easiest without summoning other's if you want to try it this way, someone like me who doesn't know the pattern can easily screw it up if they get the boss's attention.

Zom

Banned
I have 1millon souls to spend, but I dont know if spend it in faith/int so I can use some spells or just more str/vit/etc.

maomaoIYP

What kind of armor and shield would you use with a fire zweihander with flame weapon?

fake edit: looks like I can't even get flame weapon until NG+. Lame....any other suggestions?

Do the boss again with an asectic.
Wear whatever that fits I suppose? Really depends on what encumbrance level you are aiming for and if you want to look pretty or have high def.

I've seen him do that before. Always gotta watch for that and roll out of the way.

Palm laser is one of his most telegraphed and easily dodgeable move in his repertoire.

This is true, it was more a comment/question that I've never seen him do this before. I've killed him many times, I love to just hang out in front of bosses doing co-op. Iron king is always a popular one. But tonight I've done at least 7 fights where people running behind the wall are lasered, often the host (ending it all). Not always just me ;) I've never seen that behaviour before in the many times I've fought him (co-op or otherwise).

Uthred

i didn't say all his issues but a lot of them are exclusively tied to most dungeons and boss fights in dks2 feeling like underdeveloped cut content. dungeons being tiny and leading up to dead ends, boss fights that don't take even two tries, story being less engaging than in dks1, (he didn't say this but) connections between areas feeling super random and like they make no sense at all. disagree with this if you will but spare me the saltiness, i'm not whitewashing anything and i'm not denying lost izalith is terrible but one dungeon being bad doesn't compare to 90% of the dungeons being mediocre.

i enjoy dks2 but if you ask me what the souls games are all about i'd never recommend dks2 over dks1 and demons

Saltiness? Why would I possibly be salty? Ive no vested interest in promoting DS2, my favourite is Demon Souls for a start. I just find the selective memory about the earlier games tedious. A lot of his issues? Of the nine or ten points he made easy boss fights was a) part of one and b) equally applicable to the earlier games. Small areas was a second point and again overall the games are about equal on that front. The story being less engaging is a) entirely subjective and b) his issue was with the way in which it was told, which is the same way it was told in earlier games. So apparently now "a lot" means "maybe 20-25%". So if it isnt unthinking whitewashing then perhaps you simply failed to read his post properly. Either way, the majority of his complaints are endemic to the series not just DS2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom