• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistel

Banned
Damn it! The
Ruin Sentinel
won't respawn anymore and I have yet to collect all the armor parts, as I'm still missing the leggings. This is the third time this happened to me when I was trying to farm armor/weapons from enemies.
Use an ascetic at the bonfire to respawn them.
That armor is shield. It's description says it boosts luck but when I equip it alone I don't get the serpent emblem to show up in the hud, unlike other luck boosting equipment.
Hence apparently.

Forkball

So uh, how am I supposed to beat the final boss?

She has curse orbs around her, and I get you can vanquish them by attacking, but by that time I'm already cursed several times over. Heck, even getting next to her without those orbs seems to curse me. It just takes me down to half health and then any attack can murder me. Also even at half health I am still getting cursed and my health drains so quickly. TIPS?

Should I upgrade my Bastard Sword? I currently have it at +2, stopped using it and toggled to the Drangleic Sword which was better than my +2 Bastard.

The problem is that to upgrade the Drangleic Sword I need to use Twinkling Titanite so I won't.

Should I go back to the Bastard Sword and make it +4 or +5? or try another weapon?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
So uh, how am I supposed to beat the final boss?

She has curse orbs around her, and I get you can vanquish them by attacking, but by that time I'm already cursed several times over. Heck, even getting next to her without those orbs seems to curse me. It just takes me down to half health and then any attack can murder me. Also even at half health I am still getting cursed and my health drains so quickly. TIPS?

Don't stand near the orbs? :p

I know everyone says to destroy them, but all you have to do is walk to the opposite end of the arena. She will follow you and they become a non-factor. I wonder if From didn't account for that and that's why the final boss is such a pushover.

Forkball

I BEAT THE GAME.

Major Spoilers.

Great game. Took me 40 hours to beat and that's without doing everything. I'll probably make a bigger post on my impressions later, but I was quite pleased with the game. It does some things better than DKS1, but of course DKS1 is better in some aspects as well.

Probably won't bother with NG+ though. I'll do some multiplayer until I get burned out.

Ruuppa

Just a regular mace will do? Yeah, I got one.

The Strong attack of powerstanced Clubs can effectively stunlock them, so that's an option as well. I hear that on Bonfire Intensity 2 and up they only spawn once per Ascetic/NG, but haven't verified it personally.

In terms of world design, I think Dark Souls 2 actually has more in common with Demon Souls than the original Dark Souls.

The world can be essentially broken down into linear, separated areas with a boss at the end, much like Demon Souls was. The design is disguised as more open, but it never reaches the non-linear elements of the original Dark Souls.

Agreed. I've gotten through more of the game now, but it still feels Forrest of the Fallen Giants is the best 'designed' level (based on DS standards). It seems like that level alone has about 6 or 7 shortcuts, whereas I don't think I've unlocked that many through all the other areas combined.

You are correct though, the level design is extremely linear. I think I've only come across a few areas that actually lead to multiple places.

That doesn't make it a bad game, but just makes it feel like a step back as far as level/world design goes.

Vitor711

I'm thinking it was a mistake to keep my adaptability at 5. Can barely avoid most of
Vendrick's and Darklurker's
attacks.

Ha, yeah. You need to get your agility up to 100 and you'll see a huge benefit.

Also, I went back and tried to play DkS 1 the other night. HOLY HELL WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Graphically, I mean, wow, even with DSfix, the sequel is light-years ahead of the first game. The lighting, even post-downgrade is fantastic in comparison and, while the hitboxes seem weirder, the animations are actually much better. Trying to play DkS 1 at 60FPS and it's clear that it wasn't made to be viewed like this. Lots of enemies just look jerky at points. It's sort of weird.

I also just prefer the 'feel' of DkS 2 combat. Can't put my finger on why exactly but I just found it really, really hard to go back to the first game. Also, the old UI was hideous. Much, much, much improved now. It's weird just how much I misremembered about the original.

Is there any realistic chance they're going to change how Soul Memory works? I'm starting to feel like I need to take my characters beyond level 150 but I don't want to be screwed if they change up the matchmaking to take levels into account later...
Bamco made a reference to Soul Memory being one of the things they're listening to feedback on, so I think there's a good chance they are going to tweak it. Not disable it completely, but at least do something.

If you want to level up, I say go ahead and do so. You can always make another character for pvp later down the line. Myself, I've no interest in playing catchup with everyone. The system itself is completely broken so why bother. SL150 sounded high to me at first, but I guess with ADP it's understandable they upped it from the familiar SL120.

Gattsu25

Banned
Ha, yeah. You need to get your agility up to 100 and you'll see a huge benefit.

Also, I went back and tried to play DkS 1 the other night. HOLY HELL WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Graphically, I mean, wow, even with DSfix, the sequel is light-years ahead of the first game. The lighting, even post-downgrade is fantastic in comparison and, while the hitboxes seem weirder, the animations are actually much better. Trying to play DkS 1 at 60FPS and it's clear that it wasn't made to be viewed like this. Lots of enemies just look jerky at points. It's sort of weird.

I also just prefer the 'feel' of DkS 2 combat. Can't put my finger on why exactly but I just found it really, really hard to go back to the first game. Also, the old UI was hideous. Much, much, much improved now. It's weird just how much I misremembered about the original.
I'm pretty much exactly the opposite on the feel of the game, but if did not mess with the frame rate. I feel the original is a much faster, more intense experience. Faster in terms of player movement, stamina regen, enemy movement, and even NPC dialog both in terms of speed of delivery and the pause between lines which is MUCH shorter in the first game. The enemies also do not have infinite stamina as all enemies have a wind down animation at the end of a combo or strong attack and the enemies are no longer able to spin >360 degrees while winding up an overhead attack. I'm loving how interconnected the world feels with shortcuts in one area regularly opening up in other earlier zones, and that sense is made stronger by the vistas in the background always having other landmarks. The graphics are much worse, there is no denying that, but I still think that the metal shine effect in DS1 is great.

Soulhouf

Bamco made a reference to Soul Memory being one of the things they're listening to feedback on, so I think there's a good chance they are going to tweak it. Not disable it completely, but at least do something.

If you want to level up, I say go ahead and do so. You can always make another character for pvp later down the line. Myself, I've no interest in playing catchup with everyone. The system itself is completely broken so why bother. SL150 sounded high to me at first, but I guess with ADP it's understandable they upped it from the familiar SL120.

ADP but also because equip load and stamina being in 2 separate stats now.
I don't care about the stat that determines equip load though

elfinke

That's not a simple mistake to make.

They're right next to each other in my inventory, I'm farming Dragon Aerie while watching TV (and as usual not wearing headphones, kind of just running on auto pilot), when I suddenly found myself shooting a weak GRS.

Ah well. Waddaya gonna do?!

Vitor711

I'm pretty much exactly the opposite on the feel of the game, but if did not mess with the frame rate. I feel the original is a much faster, more intense experience. Faster in terms of player movement, stamina regen, enemy movement, and even NPC dialog both in terms of speed of delivery and the pause between lines which is MUCH shorter in the first game. The enemies also do not have infinite stamina as all enemies have a wind down animation at the end of a combo or strong attack and the enemies are no longer able to spin >360 degrees while winding up an overhead attack. I'm loving how interconnected the world feels with shortcuts in one area regularly opening up in other earlier zones, and that sense is made stronger by the vistas in the background always having other landmarks. The graphics are much worse, there is no denying that, but I still think that the metal shine effect in DS1 is great.

The issue with the pauses after the combos and the lack of tracking moves is that it's a much easier game.

I picked up my save game in the Duke's Archives and I could backstab every enemy I found. Also, the increased stamina regen just makes it trivial to recover from a combo.

I prefer the design of the world in DkS1 also but I think the changes they made to the combat were sensible.

FloatOn

I had the most excellent time yet in dark souls 2 yesterday:

after getting my ass handed to me by ogres and that sorceror npc I unleased in aldia's I killed them all with my trusty magic finally.

I make it outside and begin praising the sun at the transcendant sights. But what's this? fog gate... boss fight immenient.... 0 magic. I throw caution to the wind and enter:

Oh shit it's a
Dragon!
I call back to my time fighting them in Dark Souls and with my trusty moonlight greatsword I proceed to fuck up it's world on the first try!

sogood.gif

Now I'm in the most amazing looking part of probably any video game ever. I can't wait to play more.

Soulhouf

Do you not want to be a fast-rolling Havelynmancer!? Crazy talk!

XD
I love this made-up word. You instantly understand what it means and it fits perfectly.

Speaking of which, with my main character (NG+3, 20M SM) when I see anything other than these Havelynmancer clones it feels so refreshing, even if it's Vangarl. I get so happy that I send nice messages to them after the fight every time.

They're right next to each other in my inventory, I'm farming Dragon Aerie while watching TV (and as usual not wearing headphones, kind of just running on auto pilot), when I suddenly found myself shooting a weak GRS.

Ah well. Waddaya gonna do?!

Why would you go through the menu to use aging feather every time?

elfinke

Why would you go through the menu to use aging feather every time?

Cos I use it that infrequently it's not worth including in the quick menu.

Not have them right next to each other?

But that's where they are in the menu by default?

It was a comment of levity and self-deprecation, not some deep thought needing over-analysis until the humour has been sucked out of it, guys :(

In other news, homing heavy soul arrow (HHSA) followed by crystal soul spear (CSS) is my new favourite combo in the game. HHSA moves so slowly that people run then roll/dodge it, and by then I've fully charge and let go of CSS, which hits for a ton, just as they're coming out of their roll dodging the HHSA. It's fantastic. It's a one-two knockout every time.

Blue Flame swords aren't worth it at SL200 fighting. Well, with my skills they aren't. Better off swinging a Staff of a Wisdom, Magic Moonlight Greatsword and a shield. Will try them again on a new character at a lower level though, I like their speed, stun lock ability and moveset.

I just went to some joint called "The Gutter" after finishing up a room filled with freakin rats with one main rat boss. I can't see a damn thing! lol Very unnerving place to walk around.

I'm also getting summoned as some "gray spirit" in someone's game and getting killed everytime. whats up with that? Why am I getting summoned out of nowhere?

Gattsu25

Banned
I just went to some joint called "The Gutter" after finishing up a room filled with freakin rats with one main rat boss. I can't see a damn thing! lol Very unnerving place to walk around.

I'm also getting summoned as some "gray spirit" in someone's game and getting killed everytime. whats up with that? Why am I getting summoned out of nowhere?

Summoning is because of the rat area.

The gutter isn't that bad. In any souls game, when you find yourself in a dark area made out of wooden planks you almost always want to head toward the closest light source. Don't forget to use your torch to light those sconces!

knitoe

The Rat Covenant will summon you to their game and kill you for entering that area. Best to burn effigy at bonfire or play offline if you want advance.

UrbanRats

Don't worry man, The Gutter is super short and piss easy...
if you played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1

Havel

It could, but as you can see in that screenshot (though that works better than most areas) the game isn't built for it. The challenge isn't to disable ambient lighting, it would be to add lights in its place throughout the entire game. And that's a lot harder. Also, in many cases ambient light terms make perfect sense, it's not like DS2 is the only game with ambient light.

This just isn't true at all. I've played through the entire game and only about two areas don't work with it disabled, one being the Shaded Woods.

Sconces now actually have a purpose, dark areas require a torch which falls in line with with they said pre-release. It seems like most areas were designed for it being off, or at least very low values.

Not to mention, it makes Majula look beautiful.

darksoulsii_2014_05_14_13_49_07_28_by_bigboss154-d7iblk2.png

darksoulsii_2014_05_14_13_49_01_01_by_bigboss154-d7iblk7.png

darksoulsii_2014_05_14_13_51_24_95_by_bigboss154-d7ibljx.png

darksoulsii_2014_05_14_13_51_35_07_by_bigboss154-d7ibljj.png

TnK

This just isn't true at all. I've played through the entire game and only about two areas don't work with it disabled, one being the Shaded Woods.

Sconces now actually have a purpose, dark areas require a torch which falls in line with with they said pre-release. It seems like most areas were designed for it being off, or at least very low values.

Not to mention, it makes Majula look beautiful.

darksoulsii_2014_05_14_13_49_07_28_by_bigboss154-d7iblk2.png

darksoulsii_2014_05_14_13_49_01_01_by_bigboss154-d7iblk7.png

darksoulsii_2014_05_14_13_51_24_95_by_bigboss154-d7ibljx.png

darksoulsii_2014_05_14_13_51_35_07_by_bigboss154-d7ibljj.png

So may crushed blacks.....
This is not good.

The pursuer is hard. Tips please. This game is IMO harder than both Dark and Demon.

Ruuppa

This is not good.

The pursuer is hard. Tips please. This game is IMO harder than both Dark and Demon.

Summon a meatshield, use the ballistas, kill the meatshield with the ballista by accident(optional).

I've upgraded my blacksteel katana (don't remember how much) and now I found out that is not the best katana in the game :(
From what I've read best katanas are: chaos blade, washing pole, berserker blade.
The first 2 I think I'm never gonna use them due to low durability (20). The berserker blade is a rare drop :(
Do you guys confirm this?

garath

This is not good.

First playthrough Pursuer?

Once I got his pattern down, it wasn't too bad. I had to start dodging right instead of left though.

What I tried to do was keep some distance between me and him so he would feel obligated to do the really telegraphed and slow shield rush attack. You can get two solid hits in off that attack and still have time to back off some more. Try to keep that distance and force the shield rush. Failing that, he does some sweeping attacks that are best dodged by rolling to the right. Have to get REALLY far from his jumping third attack where he spins around. That's the one that would get me more often than not. It has an uncanny range.

UrbanRats

This is not good.

Parry his sprint attack, roll&block through the others, don't be greedy.
Roll "into" his cursed sword one.

Or just summon someone and
let them Ballista his ass.
You'll have
other chances of fighting him later on anyway.

Gattsu25

Banned
This is not good.

Maintain a medium distance to bait him into his slide attack and then stay close to him and roll to the right. Get one, maybe two hits in (if you have fast attacks) between his major attacks.

Havel

This is not good.

This isn't crushing blacks. Crushing blacks is taking every value in the very low 0-255 range (grays) and changing them to black.

This gets rid of the of white light that is present everywhere in the game, regardless of where you are. Of course, it is most apparent on areas which have no direct lighting and is left in complete darkness.

I can post screenshots to prove this has nothing to do with crushing blacks.

EDIT: Just realized I accidentally had SweetFX turned on with those screenshots, didn't realize as I took them very quickly. SweetFX does make everything in those shots look a lot more 'dynamic' than they should.

Vitor711

Pursuer: Patience, his 3 sword combo slash and blue glowing slash are where he spends most of his time recovering so get in one or two hits. Never get greedy and you'll get there.

Or you can be boss like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps8sbAxHMxg#t=594

Roll to the right.

He does his three hit swing? Roll to the right.

He prepares to stab you when his sword glows blue? Roll to the right.

He charges you from a distance? Step to the right, shield up just in case but don't roll to save stamina. He'll miss every time.

Hit once with a heavy weapon or twice with a light weapon. Regain stamina/keep shield up. Easy fight.

Gattsu25

Banned
Roll to the right.

He does his three hit swing? Roll to the right.

He prepares to stab you when his sword glows blue? Roll to the right.

He charges you from a distance? Step to the right, shield up just in case but don't roll to save stamina. He'll miss every time.

Hit once with a heavy weapon or twice with a light weapon. Regain stamina/keep shield up. Easy fight.

This.

I only died to him twice. The very first time (while learning his patterns) and once in a co-op session because the other phantom decided it would be a good idea to stab me in the fucking face with a ballista bolt.

If you follow the above advice, it's a fairly easy fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom