• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

garath

So, was curious about this. I remember in a preview FromSoft mentioned you could fight bosses before you get to their arena, but so far it has only happened once.

Not looking for explicit details, but is the one time the only time there is?

I'm not that far into the game but
the pursuer pops up before his arena
as I recall.

I'm exclusively increasing vitality now. Once you're able to use basic magic/miracles and can at least two-hand the heaviest weapons, equipment load (maybe more than endurance for me) becomes my only hangup.

Yep every time you die with it you get it fixed and you are off again.

oh shit

This changes everything.

Does Demon's go straight into ng+ when you beat the game? I only have 1-3 left.

You can finish all levels before reaching a point of no return. You can even drop down a certain hole and still not pass that point

HoosTrax

So, was curious about this. I remember in a preview FromSoft mentioned you could fight bosses before you get to their arena, but so far it has only happened once.

Not looking for explicit details, but is the one time the only time there is?
Off the top of my head, one in NG and another in NG+.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
started NG+, right off the bat in things betwix
some new enemies with hawks, and then 2 npc phantoms
...damn, didnt know stuff changed so much

Disabling the ambient lighting makes a hell of a difference.

darksoulsii_2014_05_13_20_57_48_42_by_bigboss154-d7i8lit.png

darksoulsii_2014_05_13_20_57_55_24_by_bigboss154-d7i8li2.png

Is this still only possible with ENB? I wonder if this is something that could be implemented into GeDoSaTo.

Mistel

Banned
Think I'll try playing with a more sorcery based character now, with normal swords as backup and a shield in left hand. Any starting tips, stuff to get right away or something just in general?
There's a charm that acts like a shield later in the game that might be of interest to you.
oh shit

This changes everything.
It does. Soul memory is going to count every soul you get so you might as well make sure you can't loose any that you can't retrieve.
Aha I totally missed the videos title, dumb oversight! Thanks for pointing that out!
It would be great in the Aerie.

goblin

So, what is the most painless (or should I say least painful?) way to get more Twinkling Titanite?

In any case, it's pretty unfair that stupid melee dudes get to upgrade their weapons with a different material, while casters have to use the same one for staves/chimes and armor.

all spoilers in this post are endgame areas:
Either farm
Memory of giants, outside the memory with the giant lord. You use bonfire ascetic, pick up the 3 twinkling titanite outside the memory, beat the boss and repeat. You get a bonfire ascetic during the boss fight so you won't run out.
, or
dragon aerie, you get 6 or so twinkling titanite from a run. There's no boss here which makes for easy farm.
, or finally
they drop from enemies in shrine of amana.
Just pick the one you think are the least painful. One of the first two should be the best, depending on what you prefer to kill.

Going to second the first choice unless you're concerned about messing up your Soul Memory.
There's a Fire Seed in Jeigh, also, if you still want to max out your Pyromancy Flames. If you extend the run to the other giant memories, you can get another Fire Seed and an extra Bonfire Ascetic from Memory of Vammar, as well as a Soul Vessel and Wilted Dusk Herbs (I assume you're playing a caster) from Memory of Orro all on top of the incredible amount of souls you get each time you kill the Giant Lord who never stops being a pushover.

Thanks to the few who answered my question. A little bummed it isn't more often, was looking forward to it happening more, but still having a blast regardless.

Havel

Is this still only possible with ENB? I wonder if this is something that could be implemented into GeDoSaTo.

Currently, yeah. If Durante could somehow implement the vaules in GeDoSaTo, I would ditch ENB entirely because that is the only thing keeping me using it.

Mistel

Banned
loooooooool. This is so good.

I've still never used a seed of giants, I just forget about them. The only way to get them is to warp to FOFG after every invasion to pick up the seed? What a pain in the ass.
You get them right near soldiers rest it's not a guaranteed "growth" but it's worth to check after four or five invasions.

I'm guessing there's a point where you stop being amused by the messages that say things like "be wary of but, hole" but I haven't reached that point.

It could be the gallow's humor of it all in the midst of a dreary landscape bent on punishing you that is populated by emotionally and physically fatigued NPCs, or it could be that I have an adolescent's sense of humor still.

Disabling the ambient lighting makes a hell of a difference.

Game is terribly lit, unfortunately. Many areas end up just solid black with a few torches dotted around the level. Would've been so much nicer had they designed it with that level of darkness and placed a lot more lights around instead of relying on the ambient lighting.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Not having much fun with Cleric so far. Loved Pyromancer in DS ... hmm maybe I should have gone that route.

The only problem with playing a cleric is that they make the game super duper easy. They have better offensive magic then sorcs or hexers which is pretty ridiculous.

You get them right near soldiers rest it's not a guaranteed "growth" but it's worth to check after four or five invasions.
Ahhh, I thought it was one after every single invasion.

I guess this does explain why that bonfire is there, it seems the sole purpose in that dead end of an area. That and farming
"Seigmeyer"

Still a convoluted way of doing something that could be a lot of fun.

Durante

It could, but as you can see in that screenshot (though that works better than most areas) the game isn't built for it. The challenge isn't to disable ambient lighting, it would be to add lights in its place throughout the entire game. And that's a lot harder. Also, in many cases ambient light terms make perfect sense, it's not like DS2 is the only game with ambient light.

The only problem with playing a cleric is that they make the game super duper easy. They have better offensive magic then sorcs or hexers which is pretty ridiculous.
In the grand tradition of D&D the cleric gets to use weapons and wear armor while also getting at least equivalent spells to the mage.

At least the sorcery spells have a lot more variation and style :p

so if I didn't summon Pate in FotFG, am I toast for his questline outside of NG+? I met him in Earthen Peak and he didn't really say shit. I tried to go back, but I can't find his sign anywhere.

I guess I could Ascetic?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
now that I made a STR tank char that was always above 70% load and a Hex Sorc who was always bellow 30% load, I think my next eventually will be a DEX/faith bellow 70% load to use different weapons, armor and spells

Mistel

Banned
so if I didn't summon Pate in FotFG, am I toast for his questline outside of NG+? I met him in Earthen Peak and he didn't really say shit. I tried to go back, but I can't find his sign anywhere.

I guess I could Ascetic?
No you can still do it and obtain the gifts from him after the quest is finished technically.

I'm really starting to feel the pains of the Soul Memory system now. Currently at SL200~ and I just don't want to keep leveling, but if I don't the souls all go to waste and I'd only hurting myself for no reason. I'd rather just stay at 140 or so, but I guess I just need to keep dumping into stats when possible.

Yeah, hopefully From actually patches the stupid 60FPS durability bug.
What is this bug? I haven't really been keeping up with discussions but I assume your durability gets drained faster at the higher framerate?

I guess I could Ascetic?
You don't need to summon him, but I believe you do need to go around and get the chest outside of the locked door.

Grief.exe

I guess I could Ascetic?

He doesn't need to be summoned for his questline.

What is this bug? I haven't really been keeping up with discussions but I assume your durability gets drained faster at the higher framerate?

Durability goes down way faster in 60 FPS than 30.

Phew, 25 more kills and I'm rank 3
Bell Keeper
once again. That would conclude my NG run. Apart from
Dragon
and
Rat King
covenant-only items, I farmed everything I could in that playthrough.

NG+ is going to be a no-bonfire run so I gotta prepare a bit first before committing to it. I also will need to farm what I couldn't get in NG.

HoodWinked

i think the accelerated durability although a bug is great because it actually becomes a relevant mechanic, its is such a dark souls fuck you for a weapon to be close to breaking right as you're panicing to find the next bonfire. i'll switch to my other weapon just so i can save the durability on my main weapon for bosses.

also it leads to forced discovery of other weapons. they should try to keep it in but obviously tweak it where a weapon doesnt just breaks after 4 swings.

What is this bug? I haven't really been keeping up with discussions but I assume your durability gets drained faster at the higher fps.

It is not a bug, it is the unintended consequence of a terrible programming design decision. They tied durability degradation to frame rate in the code. Hopefully they revisit this and find a more elegant solution because it is very poor programming to tie any gameplay function to the framerate.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
FROM gud programmers what are you talking about?

It is not a bug, it is the unintended consequence of a terrible programming design decision. They tied durability degradation to frame rate in the code. Hopefully they revisit this and find a more elegant solution because it is very poor programming to tie any gameplay function to the framerate.

Well this is... How in the... Why? :E

Adaren

i think the accelerated durability although a bug is great because it actually becomes a relevant mechanic, its is such a dark souls fuck you for a weapon to be close to breaking right as you're panicing to find the next bonfire. i'll switch to my other weapon just so i can save the durability on my main weapon for bosses.

also it leads to forced discovery of other weapons. they should try to keep it in but obviously tweak it where a weapon doesnt just breaks after 4 swings.

The accelerated durability bug only takes effect when you swing your weapon at a corpse or a friendly phantom. Even if it was fixed, durability would still be important.

Source

The real bug is probably that swinging your weapon at a corpse lowers its durability, and the link with frame rate is incidental. Video games have a lot of moving parts, so I wouldn't be too harsh on FROM's developers. The only thing tied to frame rate is weapon/corpse interaction, and that interaction was probably never intended to exist.

I do think it's a pretty big QA oversight, however. The QA team is probably more at fault than the developers.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I just installed the GEM ENB mod and it's definitely interesting, just wish I knew how to bring the color saturation up a little.

The problem with DSII's graphics is that it's like that moment in a nightclub after last call when turn on all the lights. You're not really supposed to see a lot of the stuff in these environments well-lit, it just ends up looking off. Since they had to ditch the old lighting, I guess their solution was to crank the lighting up and lose all contrast in the process. Damn I really want to see more of that old lighting engine, where torches were a necessity and lighting those stands would have been a priority.

Svafnir

No Spoilers.

Well I beat the game, my first ever game in the "souls" series. I am a little disappointed.

But I think that's for having the wrong mind set going into it, people kept talking about how insanely hard it was. I think I died more to falling than to monsters, the AI routines and most fights were not difficult. The majority of bosses I did not die a single time on or if I did it was due to some unexpected attack. Never took more than three tries for any boss. Perhaps I was playing overly cautious, I don't know. Difficult, but not as crazy as people say.

I also hate the leashing. I feel like so many fights in this game can be cheesed, I wish enemies followed you forever. There was two points in the game where I just used a doorway to kill enemies, quickly decided to stop using that mechanic as it was boring though. Way too many ways to leesh and cheese enemies.

People tell me to play NG+ for a more difficult experience, but doing everything again does not seem fun just for a bit harder game.

I felt like all the areas in the game were super tiny. Again no spoilers, but every new area looked like it might be big.... but then never was, some areas were just insanely small. It took me about 40 hours to beat the game and I made sure to explore side content, but nothing seemed that big. Especially going back to an area, I noticed how tiny they are.

Lots of cool items, but I never really changed my gear. Used items from the first area of the game pretty much all the way through because of the upgrade system, but maybe that just means the upgrade system is awesome that almost any item can be good.

Also the story. What. Sure you have to look for the story yourself and it's a decent story. But I just don't think I like this form of story telling, it just never felt epic, it never felt like a real goal or anything and I talked to everyone. It just felt empty.

However I did like the way the world connected with shortcuts and alternate routes to places, some of the end game areas looked pretty cool. Lots of the enemy design was pretty neat also, overall it was a fun game and that's all that matters. But it wasn't what I thought it was going to be. Was expecting some super difficult game where I actually have to use my consumables and plan everything ahead. I ended the game with a stupid amount of human effigy's and life gems. I never even used the other items I got like increase dark def and all the buffs.

Plus the online and hint system really makes the difficulty a much smaller factor also. I did two bosses early on in the game with summoning humans and it made them a /joke/. Those damn messages on the ground pretty much tell you everything you have to do also, so I also stopped reading them.

I don't know. It was just weird, I was expecting too much.

PS: I also probably played stupidly, I never used spells and just sword/shielded the entire game. Maybe spells would make it more difficult, I just went crazy on str/dex, idk if that made it easier for me.

tuna_love

Banned
I'm really starting to feel the pains of the Soul Memory system now. Currently at SL200~ and I just don't want to keep leveling, but if I don't the souls all go to waste and I'd only hurting myself for no reason. I'd rather just stay at 140 or so, but I guess I just need to keep dumping into stats when possible.

You don't need to summon him, but I believe you do need to go around and get the chest outside of the locked door.
What's the easiest way to get that chest? Jumping down?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Okay, beat the
Pursuer
in Forest of the Giants. Not sure where to go now...

I mean I have
The Deep Pit, Heide's Tower of Flame revisit?, Shaded Woods, or the Iron Keep
to do. The second to last one I haven't dove into too far due to the bullshit enemies
you can't see
residing in it. But I'm not sure diving into the last one is good since my stats or damage is poor.

zkylon

zkylewd

a lot of your issues with the game are actually things most souls fans agree with have been "downgrades" from dks1. the quality of bosses and dungeons is unfortunately way lower than in dks1 and demon's, even tho the game is pretty enjoyable still.

Overdoziz

Banned
a lot of your issues with the game are actually things most souls fans agree with have been "downgrades" from dks1. the quality of bosses and dungeons is unfortunately way lower than in dks1 and demon's, even tho the game is pretty enjoyable still.
I'd say the quality of the bosses is better overall, same goes for the areas (individually anyway). For both they don't really reach the highs of the first game (Artorias/intertwined opening areas), but they also stay way above the lows of that game (Bed of Chaos/Lost Izalith). I think if we take both games excluding the DLC I'd say DS2 is better simply because it doesn't have such a drop-off in quality in the second half of the game.

Grief.exe

Okay, beat the
Pursuer

I mean I have
to do. The second to last one I haven't dove into too far due to the bullshit enemies
you can't see
residing in it. But I'm not sure diving into the last one is good since my stats or damage is poor.

I say it everytime you ask, just explore! Really doesn't matter when you tackle content.

No you can still do it and obtain the gifts from him after the quest is finished technically.

He doesn't need to be summoned for his questline.

ohh sweet. Missed the chest the first time around, I'll have to head back through and check it out.

Thanks guys.

Okay, beat the
Pursuer

I mean I have
you can't see

In the area past that boss, there is "transportation" to another area you may have not been to yet. L
ost
B
astille

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom