• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uthred

a lot of your issues with the game are actually things most souls fans agree with have been "downgrades" from dks1. the quality of bosses and dungeons is unfortunately way lower than in dks1 and demon's, even tho the game is pretty enjoyable still.

Most of his issues with the game are equally applicable to the earlier games in the series. None of the games are insanely hard, certainly not anywhere near the level they are populary advertised to be. The ai routines and boss fights in all the games largely only take patience to overcome. The other games are even worse when it comes to using kiting and level design to "cheese" the enemies (this isnt really cheesey though, its usually working as intended I'd say). The other games have less differences in NG+ in terms of content so are even less fun to run through again if he has no interest in doing it here. The individual levels here are as big or bigger than they were in earlier games. Using only one or two sets of gear and being reliant on upgrades is also present in the earlier games (and lack of respecs ties you to even smaller subsets of equipment). The nature of the storytelling is largely the same in the other games, only Demon Souls has a more explicit (though equally obtuse) story so if its the nature of the storytelling thats the issue thats still going to be a problem. The online system and the hint system were present in the earlier games, and are a selling point of the series so nothing different there.

So basically none of his issues, which were well laid out, have to do with any supposed "downgrade" but are largely integral to the series itself. Its fine not to like DS2 or to prefer one souls game over the other but this bizarre whitewashing of the earlier games or series flaws and peccadillo's is just tedious.

Started ng+ today. Plowed through Last Giant, Pursuer and Dragonrider in like 30-40 mins. I think this is going to go fast.

Funny thing happened. I had done a coop on pursuer to get human and earn a SSSS. Then, I summoned folks to zerg rush the boss. Well, one of them was a red phantom with a white ring and caught me by surprise and ganked me. I guess it serves me right... haha.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Started ng+ today. Plowed through Last Giant, Pursuer and Dragonrider in like 30-40 mins. I think this is going to go fast.

Funny thing happened. I had done a coop on pursuer to get human and earn a SSSS. Then, I summoned folks to zerg rush the boss. Well, one of them was a red phantom with a white ring and caught me by surprise and ganked me. I guess it serves me right... haha.

Never once did I think to utilize the white ring like that...

Mistel

Banned
Did you get invaded or did you summon them?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
When you put on the white ring, your summon sign becomes white just like a co-op phantom. Your shade is also white in their world.

The ultimate troll item. Wow. Can you combine that with an item that aggros enemies to keep up the facade only to reveal your dastardly demeanor and slay them right before a boss?

Edit: I just checked, it doesn't make your summon sign red.

Grief.exe

105. Close to 1mill in Soul Memory.

Though I'm struggling on damage despite having 20 in STR/DEX/FTH/INT. :/

Has more to do with upgrading your weapon than stats early on.

Also, there is really no point in spreading out your stats like that. Choose one or two paths to focus on. For example: STR/FTH.

For example: I beat NG at SL 100, NG+/NG++ at 160.

The ultimate troll item. Wow. Can you combine that with an item that aggros enemies to keep up the facade only to reveal your dastardly demeanor and slay them right before a boss?

Edit: I just checked, it doesn't make your summon sign red.

I am not 100% certain, but I think their shade color is slightly off from a normal white phantom. Not enough to be a huge red flag, but different enough that you can pick up on it.

I may just be making it up in my head.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I got invaded for the first time just now. Like a chicken, I ran away. The person then proceeded to fall off a cliff.

Ruuppa

Oh yeaaaah! Ring of Exalted get! Would have gotten both that and Conqueror's, but for three things:

1. Getting cocky
2. Getting headshotted by a crossbow guy in Sinner's Rise
3. Being on the descending elevator at the same time

Has anyone here gotten both of them on the same run?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I can't see shit in this fog. Swinging at nothing but air. Ugh.

HoosTrax

When you put on the white ring, your summon sign becomes white just like a co-op phantom. Your shade is also white in their world.
Isn't it kind of useless if you have two SunBros with you? Hmm, needs a yellow ring.

Edit: Then again, thinking back to that video of the Chameleon + Seed of Giants trolling, and the invader walking right past the incredibly out-of-place giant shade-summoning tombstone in the middle of the room.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
protip :
just run. follow the right wall. caution, will eventually open up. if you follow that you'll eventually come to the opening

I think i killed maybe one guy

That's easy to say but when you have five of the fuckers swinging at you and you dunno from where and get lost, it's annoying.

Oh thank god, found a way out of there. Worst area in the game.

Ruuppa

That's easy to say but when you have five of the fuckers swinging at you and you dunno from where and get lost, it's annoying.

Long-reaching, wide-swinging weapons are your friends there. Just move really slow through the place, aggroing them one at a time and you'll have a good time.

HoosTrax

Good god, the dual Pursuers on NG+ is no freaking joke.
That fight is easily exploitable for those who don't want to summon.

Let one of the Pursuer bros perform the impale move on you (obviously make sure you have enough HP to survive it, but in any case, it's not a one-hit KO). This will cause you to become Cursed. Afterwards one of the two will despawn, and you're free to kill the remaining one like normal. Then if you choose to, you can rest at the bonfire, and the Pursuer who left initially will be available to fight.

My biggest nope (or maybe "Noooo!!" ?) was dying after managing to kill one of them.. And the one I killed first was the one that drops Ring of Blades +2. That sucked something awful.
Exact thing happened to me on NG +1. I figured if I could kill one of them while both were bearing down on me, I could have killed both if I hadn't become complacent, so I didn't sweat cheesing them the second time around.

I can't see shit in this fog. Swinging at nothing but air. Ugh.

Turn up the sharpness? Didn't have too much of an issue but you could always hug the walls.

Man, trying to kill the
Ancient Dragon
and I am getting murdered left and right by that
AOE fire attack
, can never seem to get out of range :/ Any tips on this boss?

Turn up the sharpness? Didn't have too much of an issue but you could always hug the walls.

Man, trying to kill the
Ancient Dragon
and I am getting murdered left and right by that
AOE fire attack
, can never seem to get out of range :/ Any tips on this boss?

Are you wearing the fire ring+1 you can get and using the pyromany fire protect spell?

Oh thank god, found a way out of there. Worst area in the game.

I dunno, I'm kinda ok with that area. I mean yeah, it's cheap, but it's not a bad idea, it's just that the technical implementation is incredibly lazy. It reminds me of Tomb of the Giants from DS1 in terms of hampered visibility and combat. I killed dozens of enemies in the forest but I walked very slowly and looked for the brighter silhouettes of the enemies. Although hugging the walls is pretty much the best strategy if you're not interested in searching through the whole area for items.

That fight is easily exploitable for those who don't want to summon.

Yeah, I did this. Single Pursuer is a pushover by that point, but I couldn't handle two of them at all. That youtube clip with the guy punching the dual Pursuers is insane.

Thanks to steam family share, my little brother has also been playing quite a bit of Dark Souls 2. It's his first Souls game and despite being a semi-brogamer casual, he's handling himself really well. He progressed through most of his 10 hours with just a pair of powerstanced falchions. He has taken a lot of my protips at heart and gotten good at dodging, managing his stamina, and not using a shield like a scrub. He also loves the shit out of PvP but is unsportsmanly as fuck.

He just killed Smelter Demon with just Lucatiel. Going to buy him a GFWL Souls key in the next steam sale.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
After the initial surprise of new enemies in things betwix in NG+ I was disappointed in Forrest of Giants up to the witch vendor lady (which granted isn't a lot), everything was the same as NG :(

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Anybody know which bonfire respawns the two giants in Black Gulch? I'd like to avoid respawning The Rotten, if possible...

Those respawn like any mob, you just don't get another soul from them

Edit: shit double post, I'm sorry :/

After the initial surprise of new enemies in things betwix in NG+ I was disappointed in Forrest of Giants up to the witch vendor lady (which granted isn't a lot), everything was the same as NG :(

You will see a lot of black phantoms, but there aren't any other new unique enemies like those
Falconer's
in the rest of the game (that I'm aware of). Kind of a disappointment.

Rhaknar

You will see a lot of black phantoms, but there aren't any other new unique enemies like those
Falconer's
in the rest of the game (that I'm aware of). Kind of a disappointment.

Really? That is super disappointing then after they throwing new enemies at you the moment you start NG+ lol

Really? That is super disappointing then after they throwing new enemies at you the moment you start NG+ lol

I perused the wiki, and it looks like there may be one more in
Shrine of Amana

The black phantoms do seem to be fairly varied in armor set and weapons, so I guess you can count that as a little more variety, but there doesn't seem to be any new enemy types like Thing's Betwixt shows.

garath

Ah. Turns out my gray invaders is a common thing in the belfry Luna. I got invaded 3 note times back to back. This time I was ready though and killed all three. Yay.

Fun stuff. This game just keeps on getting better. Too bad the gargoyles rocked me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom