• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

elfinke

Look at all you character creator aficionados! At least with my first character in any game, I hit random a bunch of times then move on. If there isn't a random button, I take whatever the default is.

I think I've had my fun with my SL200/SM~10mil character. Spent hours last night lazily PvPing at Iron Keep. GLMS, Blue Flame, Poison Knives, sorc spells, more wins than losses. Might just jump into NG+++ to grab those couple spells/etc that can be accessed there, and then retire this lady.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Game is pretty lacking on the hair department yeah.

Varna

Game is pretty lacking on the hair department yeah.

I see this a lot. Can't believe people complain about the options after Dark Souls. Limited sure, but a massive step up from Dark Souls... the damn hair textures didn't even align properly in that one.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Yeah. That fight sucks. Near impossible to dodge that lunge attack. Just rush that bastard, stay under him and use your most powerful weapon + fire buff.

Yeah, I've been trying that. The worst part are the mobs at the start. Half of the time I'm put in a bad position because I couldn't kill them fast enough.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yeah, I've been trying that. The worst part are the mobs at the start. Half of the time I'm put in a bad position because I couldn't kill them fast enough.

What I did was position myself right near the fog gate and spam the tiny rats with a ranged weapon, if you're lucky you can take two out before they get to you, then you just take out the remaining ones.

On my first try I just danced around them like a pro and slaughtered them (then biggun OHK'd me)

Gbraga

If your going for just the gloves try the black witch robes and black robes for the rest try the red lion warrior cape maybe?

YOU'RE THE BEST!

The Red Lion Warrior Cape looks sooooooooo good with the Desert Sorceress set. I'm still not sure if I should stick with the Desert Sorceress Hood, if I should use the Lion Warrior headpiece, the crown or some other helm I forgot the name.

Thank you!!

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
What I did was position myself right near the fog gate and spam the tiny rats with a ranged weapon, if you're lucky you can take two out before they get to you, then you just take out the remaining ones.

On my first try I just danced around them like a pro and slaughtered them (then biggun OHK'd me)

Yeah, that's how I was pulling them. I finally just killed him.
Whenever he'd jump back I'd ran at him and roll under his head, so that helped with getting to his back legs a lot.

I really hope the next Souls has a cape or cloak slot. I love capes, but I don't like a lot of the armor these come with.

Actually, if they could adopt the two slot armor system from Dragon's Dogma, I think I would shit myself with excitement.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
How the fuck are you supposed to fight the
mages
in
Pate vs Whatshisface battle area
?

These motherfuckers are doing my head in when I try to get anywhere near them to actually... you know... fight them PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW happens.

Audio Issue!

Watching a hockey game stream on second screen while playing DS2. Everytime I get an invasion or enter a bossfight the external audio drops to a barely audible level. I think this is a windows (win8) issue. Anyone know a solution? Thanks!!

go Habs!!

Haunted

wow

WOW

I did not expect a dark ENB to make this much of a difference. It makes otherwise boring/bland areas really tense to traverse and explore instead of seeing every nook and cranny from a distance. It makes a lot of the enemy models really pop since the dynamic torch lighting is infinitely superior to the grey ambient lighting. It makes combat more tactical, just like we all imagined after the first trailers and interviews. The armour materials you'd only appreciate in Majula before are now real eye-catchers in many of the areas thanks to the dynamic lighting. It's been a constant stream of "wow" moments for me and I'm seeing a lot of the areas in a new light
harhar
on this playthrough. My trek through Huntsman's Copse just now was on a completely different level of tension and horror than the first time around (usually it'd be the other way around on repeated play).

My biggest concern was that I would be needing too many torches and the game wouldn't account for that, but even with fairly liberal torch usage, that turned out to be false. Keep your next goal (long-term) and the next sconce (short-term) in mind and don't use it in bright outdoor areas and you'll be fine - I think the rate at which you accumulate torches has actually been balanced for this sort of usage, probably in a time before they changed the lighting. I know I ended up with over 2 and a half hours of torches on my first playthrough with the vanilla lighting but I'm probably going to need every minute of them in this one - and I love it.

The change makes me appreciate the game on a whole other level, and I'm honestly kind of blown away by the difference it made to me. Highly recommended to try it out for people who've played through the game once (familiarity will offset the added difficulty).

wickfutENB v0257 (I've gone with the "main preset darker" version)

Audio Issue!

Watching a hockey game stream on second screen while playing DS2. Everytime I get an invasion or enter a bossfight the external audio drops to a barely audible level. I think this is a windows (win8) issue. Anyone know a solution? Thanks!!

go Habs!!

Fixed it: from
This is often caused by Windows thinking (often incorrectly) you are running an application that uses a microphone/telephony, and lowers other sounds for you
In the Start menu, search in the Settings category (Win+W)for "Change Sound Card Settings".
In the Communications tab, change "When Windows detects communications activity" to Do nothing.

ZQQLANDER

So I beat several areas before I got to
Hiede's Tower
. Hopefully doing things a little out of order won't hurt me in the long run

Grief.exe

You guys have some great looking characters.

I kind of feel bad as I just hit random until something acceptable comes up, then I throw a beard on him.

Gbraga

How demanding is the ENB? I'm interested in trying it on my new character once I wrap up my NG+ playthrough, but it'd be a shame to have to let go of 3200x1800@60fps :C

Black witch domino mask might also be interest to you from a pure fashion stand point.

I don't wanna burn ascetics now cause I wanna make sure I get the monastery scimitar, but I'll definitely look into it once I get the weapon. Thanks again :D

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
ALL
screenshot_2014_05_14_20_37_15_by_aloo81-d7iecvz.jpg

TIME

BEST

I'm doing faces so right.

How demanding is the ENB? I'm interested in trying it on my new character once I wrap up my NG+ playthrough, but it'd be a shame to have to let go of 3200x1800@60fps :C

You'll have to let go of that 3200x1800@60fps, but it can totally be worth it.

Haunted

I think he has a lite version with reduced effects on the page if the PC can't handle it.

Since it's as easy as dropping files in the directory to install and deleting the same files to uninstall, experiments can be done quickly. I tried out a handful of ENBs before settling on this one and while I didn't particularly like Wickfut's earlier attempts (and those of a few others), the new main darker preset really hits the right notes for me. Light where it should be, dark where it should be, good specular highlights on materials and the DoF isn't overdone.

I assume shit'll break in the Shaded Woods, but I haven't made it there yet.

Grief.exe

wow

WOW

I did not expect a dark ENB to make this much of a difference. It makes otherwise boring/bland areas really tense to traverse and explore instead of seeing every nook and cranny from a distance. It makes a lot of the enemy models really pop since the dynamic torch lighting is infinitely superior to the grey ambient lighting. It makes combat more tactical, just like we all imagined after the first trailers and interviews. The armour materials you'd only appreciate in Majula before are now real eye-catchers in many of the areas thanks to the dynamic lighting. It's been a constant stream of "wow" moments for me and I'm seeing a lot of the areas in a new light
harhar
on this playthrough. My trek through Huntsman's Copse just now was on a completely different level of tension and horror than the first time around (usually it'd be the other way around on repeated play).

My biggest concern was that I would be needing too many torches and the game wouldn't account for that, but even with fairly liberal torch usage, that turned out to be false. Keep your next goal (long-term) and the next sconce (short-term) in mind and don't use it in bright outdoor areas and you'll be fine - I think the rate at which you accumulate torches has actually been balanced for this sort of usage, probably in a time before they changed the lighting. I know I ended up with over 2 and a half hours of torches on my first playthrough with the vanilla lighting but I'm probably going to need every minute of them in this one - and I love it.

The change makes me appreciate the game on a whole other level, and I'm honestly kind of blown away by the difference it made to me. Highly recommended to try it out for people who've played through the game once (familiarity will offset the added difficulty).

wickfutENB v0257 (I've gone with the "main preset darker" version)

Post some nice screenshots.

Ropaire

Banned
Mildly funny story: I'd never seen Ela's videos before someone linked his 1:50 all boss run in this thread the other day, which I watched in its entirety.

Today I was doing some Bellfry PvP in Iron Keep and I twice got connected to one guy in turtle armor who, both times, already had another gray phantom and an arbiter on him. He did practically no offense, just cast Warmth and tried to keep himself alive as he led his pursuers on a merry chase through the arena, before finally being hunted down and scummed to death three on one. I never laughed so hard (save perhaps in schadenfreude when an invader messes up) during a PvP session.

Completely coincidentally, today was also the first time I bothered checking my recent players Steam just out of interest as to who I was connecting to and, in further coincidence, I also happened to quit out of the game shortly afterwards and check out Dark Souls II streams on Twitch, which I never do arbitrarily (I think I was considering streaming PvP myself for the first time and wanted to get a sense of how it goes for others). Then I noticed the current number one streamer of the game had the same Jim Carrey avatar as the Steam profile as someone I'd played with, and when I clicked on it, I saw the boyishly handsome face I'd watched for nearly two hours talk about baby jumperinos just yesterday.

I told him in the chat that I chased him around a couple of times and he called me an asshole and I laughed at what a small Internet it is.

ALL

TIME

BEST

I'm doing faces so right.

You'll have to let go of that 3200x1800@60fps, but it can totally be worth it.

Nice. Someone should really start a Fashion Souls thread.

So managed to finally beat the Smelter Demon (all by myself, yay!). Ran into a weird glitch twice where I was suddenly pulled towards the wall, and got stuck there for a few seconds. Is this a common occurrence in that fight?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Do arrows cause major aggro or something? I just helped someone with a boss on my new archer and despite doing pitiful damage it chased me around for the entire fight.

You should try to summon someone to help you!

no signs there. Ii ended up making it through. Just had to go slow and take it one at a time.

Ruin Sentinels are the hardest boss in the game for me. I did breeze through that room in NG++ for whatever reason.

I can't explain this shit so don't even ask.

one on one was fine, but I ended up having 3 aggro on me and it was bad news. Then after Ii cleared it and was going through the path, Ii guess one of them decided to respawn and wreck me from behind.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You're going there to PVP... But you don't want to get invaded when you step in?.

No, some of us are going there to beat the optional boss and having higher than "normal" invasion rates. It's stupid. I don't mind the idea of a PvP area, but Jesus... stop invading me with 2 assholes everytime I step onto the bridge. As soon as I leave the "area"/doorway I get invaded. How the hell is that fun?

Omg just got PC version(coming off PS3 version). I can play at 60fps no problem on high downsampled and all. The biggest thing I noticed is how much easier the game is at 60fps. I can respond to / attack enemies so much faster now.

Mildly funny story: I'd never seen Ela's videos before someone linked his 1:50 all boss run in this thread the other day, which I watched in its entirety.

Today I was doing some Bellfry PvP in Iron Keep and I twice got connected to one guy in turtle armor who, both times, already had another gray phantom and an arbiter on him. He did practically no offense, just cast Warmth and tried to keep himself alive as he led his pursuers on a merry chase through the arena, before finally being hunted down and scummed to death three on one. I never laughed so hard (save perhaps in schadenfreude when an invader messes up) during a PvP session.

Completely coincidentally, today was also the first time I bothered checking my recent players Steam just out of interest as to who I was connecting to and, in further coincidence, I also happened to quit out of the game shortly afterwards and check out Dark Souls II streams on Twitch, which I never do arbitrarily (I think I was considering streaming PvP myself for the first time and wanted to get a sense of how it goes for others). Then I noticed the current number one streamer of the game had the same Jim Carrey avatar as the Steam profile as someone I'd played with, and when I clicked on it, I saw the boyishly handsome face I'd watched for nearly two hours talk about baby jumperinos just yesterday.

I told him in the chat that I chased him around a couple of times and he called me an asshole and I laughed at what a small Internet it is.

Hahaha! I actually caught that live. He was getting kinda pissed because everyone was ganging up on him.

Ropaire

Banned
Hahaha! I actually caught that live. He was getting kinda pissed because everyone was ganging up on him.

I'd hoped he was just having fun too. I actually tried to explain to him in the Twitch chat that I normally try to wait my turn and fight one on one in the Bellfry, but after a few moments of just watching the chase I had to join in. And he still humbled me several times, I'm sure I'd be embarrassed to watch it back.

I was even howling the first time we ended up getting him, then the blue phantom turned on us and took both us bellkeepers out with one slash.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yesterday I killed Pursuer in NG+ when he swoops in instead of later, but I heard NG+ had
dual pursuers
as a boss, will I not get that now?

GorillaJu

Man I don't think I could handle Ruin Sentinels dual wielding. I tried with rolling only, no blocking, but I just found it too difficult, so I decided to put on a shield and the fight was then absolute cake.

Kamina

Golden Boy
You're going there to PVP... But you don't want to get invaded when you step in?
If you're trying to invade there just wait around any multiplayer enabled zone with the ring on (I usually just hang by the first bonfire in Iron Keep) and you'll be summoned.
Sorry, meant coop PvP.
I go in drop my summon sign and step back out to wait. Sadly in that moment it often closes off and someone invades me.

Yesterday I killed Pursuer in NG+ when he swoops in instead of later, but I heard NG+ had
dual pursuers
as a boss, will I not get that now?
Yes you will

I have to admit that I've succumbed to using Co-op a lot in this game. Like - if I can't beat a boss in about five tries by myself, I'll summon someone to help. It's much more humane ( and still satisfying ) to down a boss with a random helper. Guess I'm growing soft or something.

Anyway, finally survived through Iron Keep and killed Old Iron King. Felt so good.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Lé Blade Runner;112037140 said:
I have to admit that I've succumbed to using Co-op a lot in this game. Like - if I can't beat a boss in about five tries by myself, I'll summon someone to help. It's much more humane ( and still satisfying ) to down a boss with a random helper. Guess I'm growing soft or something.

Anyway, finally survived through Iron Keep and killed Old Iron King. Felt so good.

The good news (or bad) is that co-op seems fairly less common on NG+. Don't see a fourth as many summon signs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom