• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

SpokkX

First playthrough complete, now it's on to the DLC and a few optional things before I venture into NG+.

I have to say, I breezed through the main game with very few problems, but the first DLC area I'm working on (Old Iron King) is absolutely destroying me. I gave up in frustration last night. I'm sure part of it has to do with experience since I had already completed the vanilla version a couple of times, but it still feels like the difficulty has been turned up about 200%.

And what is it with my second sword swing always passing right through the skeleton knight guys? Happens nearly every time.

I agree. I am in the old king area and i am being totally destroyed. Everything so far has been not tha hard...

And there are no summons to help :(

Sotha_Sil

Do the changes to enemy and item locations vary enough to make it worth running through the game again? I'm enticed by 60fps and all the DLC (which I never played), but not completely sold. I already played through the vanilla game on PS3 with several builds.

Danny 117

A handy thing I've learned to do when you run out of estus/heals; instead of going to a bonfire, throw down your summon sign and help someone. You'll be put back where you were with full estus etc and the enemies won't have respawned.

Just thought I'd share. It may help someone that didn't know about it.

Soodanim

I'm enjoying my Twinblade with bye bye enemy poise ring.

Can you drain all the
poison
away from whatever area I'm in before fighting the boss? I small soapstoned someone and his world had none.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
PSA for those that might have missed these 2 estus flask shards like I did.

there is one behind the statue in the tutorial area, and there is another behind another statue on the way to no mans wharf, right before you enter the cave there was a statue blocking a door with one of those bug eyed frogs in front. you will need 2 fragrant of yore for these of course, but theres plenty in the game (im just before the DLC and ive cleared every statue ive found soon or later)

Do the changes to enemy and item locations vary enough to make it worth running through the game again? I'm enticed by 60fps and all the DLC (which I never played), but not completely sold. I already played through the vanilla game on PS3 with several builds.

For me, it has definitely been worth it. It looks even more gorgeous and plays wonderfully, and the revised enemy placements make it feel new again. Plenty of surprises in familiar locations.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
That feeling when you run up the sword in forest of giants to get a shiny only to turn around and see the entire undead army running to destroy your ass.

Divius

Cruising through the game now, currently at the
Shrine of Amana
. Both the
dragon rider bros
and
Looking Glass Knight
were no problem at all. Moving on!

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Grabbing this from best buy later. Bloodborne is my first Souls game and I love it. Should finish up the main game today and then on to the chalice dungeons to see if I can get the platinum trophy.

Heysoos

I talked to
Lucatiel
when I entered through
Lost Bastille
after I beat Pursuer, but now I can't find
her in No Man's Wharf.
Bug or did I miss something?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
DLC levels up based on your SM. So if you have a high SM, you are gonna have a hard time. For me, level 150 and SM around 4m worked fine in vanilla version.

Eh? Are you sure about that?
I thought the only things at affect difficulty are bonfire intensity and the covenant of champions?

Robot Pants

Ok let me ask a question about the addition of
Aldia. Was his presence, boss fight, and new choice ending, all added with the first DLC?

Godan

So been playing a lot today and I am not too far behind where i got to on the PS3 version.

Just got to Huntsman's Copse I think its called. and I must say I think I like the PS4 version better.

I will play more later on after I get some food.

No. There's no reason to focus on 'counter hits'. It's a perk of dex stuff generally, and there is a ring that affects it, but that's really it.

If you're going melee, pick str or dex and go for a weapon (or weapons) that suit your personal preference.

As far as I know you can pretty much take anything the entire way (hell, the basic Club is one of the best 1h strike weapons in the game for pure str, if not the best).
Ah damn. Got my hopes up for a bit thinking it would pay off.

Oh well. I'll still get my satisfaction clubbing things to death. And stabbing. I got enough points in both stats that i can mix up my weapons and get good results as it is.

M.D

Fucking Dark Souls

I ran around the entirety of
No-Man's Wharf
, opened all the shortcuts, found the npc's, bought the Pharros' Lockstone and lit up all the map after cleaning it (could have been useful before I cleared it out a dozen times ;p)

Also ran around the area with the dead pirate that doesn't attack you because I thought he might summon the ship in some way

Turns out its just lever

Man the world of this game just seems so subpar after playing Bloodborne. Still having a great time, even the worst souls game is still one of the best games out there. Doing my first magic build. Currently no shield l-hand with a staff and r-hand with fire sword.

blackflag

I think I cheated a bit but I played already before so whatever. I started the game and went immediately to Heide's tower and cleared all the Giants and Knights to the boss and the dragon, then reset continuously. I'm level 40 and haven't done anything.

I think I cheated a bit but I played already before so whatever. I started the game and went immediately to Heide's tower and cleared all the Giants and Knights to the boss and the dragon, then reset continuously. I'm level 40 and haven't done anything.
Yeah you really don't need to grind in this game at all. The bosses are already cake.

SRTtoZ

So the best strength weapon is the club? I've been doing pretty well with it. Str at 30 but I'm not finding many strength weapons at all.

Its not that simple IMO. Depends on if you want something smaller and fast, or bigger and slow (but hits harder). Scaling in this game isnt that amazing so don't base everything on if its an A or S scale, like for example the Large Club is an S scale STR weapon, and the Giant Club is B or A I think, but the Giant club does more overall damage when upgraded fully because it has higher base stats. The Red Iron Twinblade is another weapon thats pretty cool, very fast and hits lots of times but has shorter range. Its best to experiment and find out what moveset you like. Moveset is VERY important. Oh also, the starter mace is REALLY good as a main or backup weapon. Its the mace that Clerics start with and I think they sell it at the Blacksmith in Majula.

M.D

What level do you think its good to stop leveling at? I'm 48 and just got to the
The Lost Bastille
(cleared the
Forest of Fallen Giants
and
No-Man's Wharf
)

I'm leveling STR as my main stat, what's the highest weapon requirement for that? I have a greatsword that requires 28 (currently sitting on 26)

Currently using club that I really like, are there any upgrades paths like DS or just straight up reinforcing? I got an ember but the blacksmith says he doesn't know how to use it
Is there another blacksmith?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
What level do you think its good to stop leveling at? I'm 48 and just got to the
The Lost Bastille
(cleared the
Forest of Fallen Giants
and
No-Man's Wharf
)

I'm leveling STR as my main stat, what's the highest weapon requirement for that? I have a greatsword that requires 28 (currently sitting on 26)

Currently using club that I really like, are there any upgrades paths like DS or just straight up reinforcing? I got an ember but the blacksmith says he doesn't know how to use it

Yes, there is another blacksmith.

Yes, there are separate upgrade paths, but they don't work the same way as in DkS1.

Str reqs go up to 50 I believe.

SRTtoZ

The Lost Bastille
(cleared the
Forest of Fallen Giants
and
No-Man's Wharf
)

I think the highest STR weapon req is 50. I'm level 133 at the end of the game. You can upgrade normal weapons from the blacksmith in Majula. The Blacksmith in The Lost Bastille requires the ember and he can infuse your weapon with certain magic or poison/bleed effects. You also have another couple blacksmiths to unlock which you can turn in Boss Souls to them and get special boss weapons.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
cleared no mans wharf and heide on my mage, got my stuff from the hex dude at the start of huntsman copse, fun times. cant believe i started a new character after having already done the same on vanilla lol

Dimmle

Where does Lucatiel go after meeting her in the Lost Bastille? I didn't summon her for Ruin Sentinels or Rotten but I'm looking for her in Earthen Peak for the Smelter Demon and she doesn't seem to be anywhere.

Where does Lucatiel go after meeting her in the Lost Bastille? I didn't summon her for Ruin Sentinels or Rotten but I'm looking for her in Earthen Peak for the Smelter Demon and she doesn't seem to be anywhere.

I found her in
one of the tunnels under the main path in the Black Gulch.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Fuck the Darklurker.

I have nothing else to say about it. And I will henceforth judge Dark Souls II solely based on this boss fight. So you know what I think about Dark Souls II.

M.D

Yes, there is another blacksmith.

Yes, there are separate upgrade paths, but they don't work the same way as in DkS1.

Str reqs go up to 50 I believe.

I think the highest STR weapon req is 50. I'm level 133 at the end of the game. You can upgrade normal weapons from the blacksmith in Majula. The Blacksmith in The Lost Bastille requires the ember and he can infuse your weapon with certain magic or poison/bleed effects. You also have another couple blacksmiths to unlock which you can turn in Boss Souls to them and get special boss weapons.

Thanks.
I feel good at this lvl so might stay at it or put points only into STR if there's a weapon that I really want to use or vit if there's need for more equip load

Lucatiel complete guide since there seems to be some confusion:

Lost Bastille - in the small tower directly across from the bonfire after the Pursuer battle and bird ride (same location as vanilla). Summon for Lost Sinner fight. Sign is directly behind the lift at the bottom.
No Man's Wharf - on the top floor of one of the houses early in the area (different location from vanilla). Summon for Flexile Sentry fight. Sign is on the docks close to the ship.
Black Gulch - in the earliest of the three secret areas you can find by dropping down over the edge, close to the first bonfire (same location as vanilla). Summon for The Rotten fight. Sign is right by the second bonfire.
Harvest Valley/Earthen Peak - in the small hidden room on the bottom floor of the three-story area just before you fight Covetous Demon (different location from vanilla). Summon for Smelter Demon fight. Sign is right outside the fog gate.

In order to get her equipment (and the related achievement/trophy), you must do two things:
1. Talk to her and exhaust all of her dialogue in all 4 of the above locations, until she starts repeating the same lines.
2. Summon her and keep her alive for at least 3 of the 4 boss fights listed above. She must survive at least 3 of these fights through their completion.

Final location:
Aldia's Keep - in the small wooden hut with the bonfire as soon as you enter the area. If the above 2 requirements are met, she will give you her equipment after talking to her a couple of times. Either way, she will disappear after talking to her here, never to be seen again in your current NG level.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Lucatiel complete guide since there seems to be some confusion:

No Man's Wharf - on the top floor of one of the houses early in the area (different location from vanilla). Summon for Flexile Sentry fight. Sign is in one of the houses later in the area, just behind the shortcut gate.

Pretty sure her summon sign in that zone has moved since vanilla.
On the docks closer to the ship
, no?

wrongway

Picked this up and made a start on it. The new enemy positions are fun. Surprise turtle guys! :D

Except I goofed already and ended up fighting near a chest I couldn't see in the dark (should've been smart and closed the blinds before playing). Early in FOFG, what was in the chest in that room with all the ballistas?

Sid

Picked this up and made a start on it. The new enemy positions are fun. Surprise turtle guys! :D

Except I goofed already and ended up fighting near a chest I couldn't see in the dark (should've been smart and closed the blinds before playing). Early in FOFG, what was in the chest in that room with all the ballistas?
A titanite shard,you should roll after you open the chest though

Kinda confused now. Think I'm about halfway through at the moment having lit 2 primal bonfires at sinners rise and the iron keep. Currently taking on the boss in the shaded woods, seems optional. So which way to the next two primals? When can I get at the dlc? I found an entrance but no key.

Also there seems to be trophies tied to npc quests? I found one so far so I'm guessing there's more.

Top Bottom