• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

irriadin

I died like 30 times to the stupid Dark Phantom + triple turtle knight area in Forest of Fallen Giants... maybe a dual wield setup just isn't for me =/

burgerdog

What happens if we light up the torches in Aldia's Keep? There's dev messages saying don't you dare. I also love the mime that's in a cage. Now that really paints the keep as a fucked up place.

FixatedMouth

Neo Member
Is it possible to use fragrant branches of yore in such a way that you screw yourself out of unlocking all of them? I've got one right now and i can think of 3 places of using it (before the no mans wharf bonfire, the sex change coffin, and the castle before majula with the guy sitting down). But if one of these doesn't yield another branch then i might be screwed

You pick them up here and there but you can farm them in
Aldia's Keep. One of the caged mimics drops one every time.

Neoweee

So, update on my Company of Champions ("Hard Mode") + Deprived + Faith game, i.e. "triple hard mode"

Got to Soul Memory a million, and what that entails.

I originally sprinted bosses and did a weird order to start the DLC early, fighting
The Rotten
as my fifth boss. He alone gave 6 SL... DLC #1, though...

Not something to rush.

I was about SL 75 and a respect before the build started to come together. Faith builds want tons of attunement, and require supplemental Pyro, IMO. The attunement gets me some Agility, but not enough, so I am up to 10 in ADP, for now. There are a few bosses in particular for which low Agility will hurt you more, but outside of the of the late game, they are few and far between. The bosses that stand out as being strong against low Agility are:

- The
Pursuer
(a little)
- The
Lost Sinner
(a lot)
-
Smelter Demon
(a lot)

Moving on to the DLC and "late" areas without finishing all of the earlier areas, because, hey, why not? What's the worst that can happen?

For new players:

I strongly, strongly recommend looking around and going down the game's other paths. Each branch can be particularly punishing at the end for various builds, and you can face a lot less resistance by poking around to see what your builds and playstyles are good against. Picking off a few "weak" bosses relatively early can be a boatload of free Soul Levels.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Alright. Dark Souls has beaten me. I physically cannot continue to fight Fume Knight, my brain feels like it's on fire.

Thankfully I have nothing to prove so long before I get to that stage I just hit the summons

PlayMaker

Banned
Didn't Play SotFS yet, but I really love some changes respect the original version:

-Finally there are Heide Knights in Heide Tower. Exploring this area and no seeing a single Heide Knight was like... "What? What happened with them?"

-The Pursuer FINALLY PURSUERS THE PLAYER. Jesus Fucking Christ, only 2 times, -3 in NG+- you fight him in original version. This is no pursuing. Now he fights the player in many, many places. One of my favourite bosses in game, also. Very excited for this.

-Drangleic Castle have very good changes like the statues, the Alonne Captain archers originally, with the Chariot horse (which is also another of my favourite bosses, the hype before release was high because of this boss) and the Old Knights with hammer and greatsword.

-Many interesting ideas for NPC's summoning and for NPC' invader.

In ther other hand, I don't really like other changes that in my opinion make the game too easy in some parts:

-¿Grand Lance in the face in really, really early game? Easy mode on. Getting the Grand Lance in original version was a hell. I don't see a really good reason to move it, and most importantly, to change it to the start of the game.

-Dull Ember in the face when you arrive to Lost Basille... Goddamit, the jump in Iron Keep was difficult, but not really hard. Maybe because there is no reason for the Ember been there.

-Drangleic Castle still having annoying parts like Thrones gallery and many others with very few changes. It could be really awesome if they want to make it.

That is what I see from now.

P.D. Sorry for my awful grammar. English is not my first language.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Made some good progress today: got through Huntsman's Copse, Harvest Valley, and Earthen Peak. Spent the longest time in Harvest Valley trying to figure out where I need to go until I made a sprint for it and found Earthen Peak. Got the sunbro covenant which is awesome, as I can now start collecting sunlight medals.

The two bosses in EK are stupidly easy though. C
ovetous
D
emon
gave me a little more trouble since he can stagger you if you try to block all his attacks, but he goes down pretty easily, while M
ytha
was a complete and utter joke. Well, I'm not complaining, as I finally hit SL 100. Onto Iron Keep!

Rean

Not sure how I feel about the
pursuer encounters
now. I wonder if that was the original plan they had in mind for him.

Get'sMad

Despite my numerous complaints about this game (that go back to the original version) I am actually having a good time going through this game doing dual wield...something I was bad at in the original game and really enjoying now. Just wish I knew the thought process/reasoning behind some of the changes they made in certain areas.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Despite my numerous complaints about this game (that go back to the original version) I am actually having a good time going through this game doing dual wield...something I was bad at in the original game and really enjoying now. Just wish I knew the thought process/reasoning behind some of the changes they made in certain areas.

I'm seeing a lot of DWers when I summon people

This is absolutely the way to go, don't be a stubborn idiot like me.

I..I have to beat this on my own. I have to. I have to. This is the first boss in Dark Souls 2 that's just thrown me around like a ragdoll. I am nothing to it. I can like dodge every single one of its attacks perfectly and get them down to quarter health but then it powers up and gets the AOE and fire attacks and just wrecks me in 2 hits. I should probably get some more of the things to disable the other two statues but I don't THINK they heal it unless it gets near them? I don't think I've died because of that yet.

Rhaknar

I didn't mean to be a dick with my "I don't have anything to prove so I just summon" line btw, rereading it and it sounds shitty, I apologize

More like "I'm shit and have no patience and already finished vanilla so I just summon" :p

AmyS

I understand that the various graphic mods made for the original PC release will not work with PC SotFS.

Is there anything that would stop new mods being created for the new version? I'm sure it's been discussed in this and other threads.

So I have passed D
ragon
A
erie
a few hours ago.

What's the point of that zone in SotFS? Just a glorified upgrade stone well?
I mean, they outright unlocked the shortcut that lets you bypass the entire area...that felt weird.

One other thing that felt weird was in A
ldia's
K
eep
, because that damned
dragon didn't move at all
>_<

Get'sMad

Wow did it do this in one of the patches in the OG where in the S
keleton
L
ords
fight that the wheel dudes just don't do shit anymore? I remember that being the toughest part of the fight and not one of the them rolled at me during the fight. Made the whole fight extremely easy.

FixatedMouth

Neo Member
I..I have to beat this on my own. I have to. I have to. This is the first boss in Dark Souls 2 that's just thrown me around like a ragdoll. I am nothing to it. I can like dodge every single one of its attacks perfectly and get them down to quarter health but then it powers up and gets the AOE and fire attacks and just wrecks me in 2 hits. I should probably get some more of the things to disable the other two statues but I don't THINK they heal it unless it gets near them? I don't think I've died because of that yet.

I screamed and jumped around when I finally beat him. Haven't had that feeling since I learned to get through the undead burg when I first discovered dark souls.

Don't give up

Rhaknar

Wow did it do this in one of the patches in the OG where in the S
keleton
L
ords
fight that the wheel dudes just don't do shit anymore? I remember that being the toughest part of the fight and not one of the them rolled at me during the fight. Made the whole fight extremely easy.

They rolled on me on my mage earlier today and it was annoying

FixatedMouth

Neo Member
So I have passed D
ragon
A
erie
a few hours ago.

What's the point of that zone in SotFS? Just a glorified upgrade stone well?
I mean, they outright unlocked the shortcut that lets you bypass the entire area...that felt weird.

One other thing that felt weird was in A
ldia's
K
eep
, because that damned
dragon didn't move at all
>_<

Oh Man I thought that area was way harder this time around.
so many exploding dudes everywhere. hiding around corners and shit.

Ac30

Black Gulch has to be the least fun I've ever had in a videogame, holy shit. 100s of poison statues + instadeath hands and giant worms are so much fun.

Well, finally defeated
Sir Alonne
and finished the Old Iron King DLC. And that is one area/DLC I will never, ever, ever go near again.

I screamed and jumped around when I finally beat him. Haven't had that feeling since I learned to get through the undead burg when I first discovered dark souls.

Don't give up

I'm glad to finally have a THIS BOSS moment in Dark Souls 2. The first DLC ones kicked my ass around a bit, but this one is an a whole different level for me.

I should probably explore around some more so I can get rid of the last two statue things that heal the jerk. Like it needs it. They should heal me instead. Or when you get rid of them all they shoot out water and put out the guy's fire sword.

Black Gulch has to be the least fun I've ever had in a videogame, holy shit. 100s of poison statues + instadeath hands and giant worms are so much fun.

Just run. After the worms stick right, by the edge and you will find another bonfire. Drop backwards out of that one and the boss is right near you. The actual area is probably the smallest in any souls game it's just littered with crap. There's really no reason to bother fighting down there tbh.

By the way, anyone have any fume knight tips? Also what the hell's up with the DLC? Everything's so overly difficult and packed with gank squads.

tuna_love

Banned
Just run. After the worms stick right, by the edge and you will find another bonfire. Drop backwards out of that one and the boss is right near you. The actual areas is probably the smallest in any souls game it's just littered with crap. There's really no reason to bother fighting down there tbh.

By the way, anyone have any fume knight tips? Also what the hell's up with the DLC? Everything's so overly difficult and packed with gank squads.
There's a statue blocking that bonfire now so make sure you've got a branch

Victrix

*beard*

You can run through it in like a minute. There's also a bonfire right by the boss door.

Travolta

Neo Member
I'm glad to finally have a THIS BOSS moment in Dark Souls 2. The first DLC ones kicked my ass around a bit, but this one is an a whole different level for me.

I should probably explore around some more so I can get rid of the last two statue things that heal the jerk. Like it needs it. They should heal me instead. Or when you get rid of them all they shoot out water and put out the guy's fire sword.

Beating Fume Knight at NG+ with no summons was easily one of the best feelings I ever had, game-wise. One tip, learn how to dodge his attacks, don´t bother trying to turtle up against him.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So I just entered Iron Keep but I also realized that I never went through that gate that has a petrified dude blocking the mechanism, with a large warrior with a blue sword sitting outside. Should I do that area first or should I keep moving ahead with Iron Keep?

There's a shortcut that allows you to avoid some of the nasty bits of the poison gulch area. Toward the beginning, there is a drop off area to the right(sorry, don't remember the exact spot) that leads to an area further down right above those wall snakes. Makes it an easy run to the bonfire. I only found it because an enemy knocked me off onto the ledge haha

Dks2 new guy.
Im still trudging along.
Took out
lost sinner and the gargoyles
and now im in that huntsmans place whos name I cant recall.
I cross a couple bridges and get ganked by a mob of ninja like dudes with whips and axes.

Totally demoralizing as usual but not giving in. Can anyone tell me where to get better katanas?
I have that basic one from that smith in lost bastille.

pa22word

Also another trick for Black Gulch is, unless they changed it, you can actually run through the area and kill everything + destroy the poison statues, then sit down at a bonfire again and the statues won't actually come back unless you die. That way you can piece your way through the bullshit until you open the second bonfire.

Kazuhira

So I just entered Iron Keep but I also realized that I never went through that gate that has a petrified dude blocking the mechanism, with a large warrior with a blue sword sitting outside. Should I do that area first or should I keep moving ahead with Iron Keep?

Don´t worry about it,finish iron keep.

Kallor

Coming fresh off Bloodborne into this and I'm wanting gaf to spoil some of the easily missable stuff in DS2 for me because that shit annoys me. Stuff like missable quests/areas/npcs.

Hugstable

Banned
Also another trick for Black Gulch is, unless they changed it, you can actually run through the area and kill everything + destroy the poison statues, then sit down at a bonfire again and the statues won't actually come back unless you die. That way you can piece your way through the bullshit until you open the second bonfire.

People have trouble with Blackgulch? It felt like the most linear area to me so far, especially after what came before it. With a Posionbite ring it's pretty much a straight path.

That said I'm really liking some of the zones in this game. Got worried after the shitty Harvest Valley and Earthen Peak combo, but Iron Keep, Gutter, Shaded Woods have all been really amazing areas.

I'm going through that area right now while putting Iron Keep on hold for the moment, but it doesn't really matter which order to go in. If you already got good fire resistance, just knock out Iron Keep first.

Top Bottom