• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

earthen peak is HORRIBLE as a mage ugh

Earthen Peak is just horrible in general. They made that whole area a bunch worse than it was in the original, along with the following area too. It's kind of odd how in some areas the difficulty has been dropped a lot and then others raised way higher.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I like Earthen Peak.

Going through as a dex no shield uchi/scimitar wielder. I don't think dual wielding is worth a shit.

Power stancing dual caestus is a lot of fun though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So if I can run the PC version maxed out just fine, does it just come to personal preference if I want to play it on the PS4? I could be wrong, but I remember hearing about some PC specific bugs regarding durability of weapons.

Just want to get the best experience possible.

The PC version still looks and runs better if you have decent hardware. I bought both versions, but go with the PC version unless you really want access to the PS4 community or trophies or something.

ExVicis

Maybe I'm overleveled a 70 bit I'm going through powerstancing Estoc and Heide Knight Sword and I blasted right through Earthen Peak yesterday. The mankin were annoying but once I caught them in attacks they died fairly easy.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I didnt have any issue with my tank (both in vanilla and sins), in fact I like the zone, so I assumed it was just a mage thing. guess not lol

pa22word

Don't worry about him, he's still being an ass cause someone was using spoilers for an area name the other day and he couldn't figure out what it was.

...or something that genuinely aggravated me a week ago (or whenever I guess I posted in the bloodborne OT last; I have more important things to worry about than keeping track of message board "grudges") still aggravates me now. When looking into the context of this rerelease of a year old game it's just even more grating. Yes, I know there are people who are playing it for the first time. However, I think GamerJohnS can handle knowing out of context that there's a boss in the game called "Trucker Ducker", or an area called "Metal Deluge". It both improves readability for everyone and keeps people from actually being spoiled, because instead of clicking on a bunch of white blurbs everywhere that may or may not be an abbreviated version of what you might think they're talking, GamerJohnS can look at the contextless word and say, "oh hey, I've never heard the term "Trucker Ducker" in the context of this game! Guess I shouldn't click on that!" and lets people who have played up to that point also carelessly click on it because they immediately can draw the context of the word in relation to it being in the OT for the game.

Neoweee

I didnt have any issue with my tank (both in vanilla and sins), in fact I like the zone, so I assumed it was just a mage thing. guess not lol

They don't do a LOT of poise damage, but they do enough and attack fast to fuck up anyone that doesn't have a decent amount. Dex builds and caster builds that are neglecting Poise have a relatively small margin of error on those guys.

are bellbro invasions working for you guys? wore my ring for hours yesterday and got no invasions. the bell was pulsating so it was working but didnt get summoned once. SM is about 200k, is that why? too high/low?

gonna stream for a few hours if anyone wants to watch or chat. i have a really bad toothache so help distract me GAF ha! Love how that happens on a saturday so i have to wait 2 days to go to the dentist >_<

http://www.twitch.tv/sonicxtreme/

Jito

Banned
...or something that genuinely aggravated me a week ago (or whenever I guess I posted in the bloodborne OT last; I have more important things to worry about than keeping track of message board "grudges") still aggravates me now. When looking into the context of this rerelease of a year old game it's just even more grating. Yes, I know there are people who are playing it for the first time. However, I think GamerJohnS can handle knowing out of context that there's a boss in the game called "Trucker Ducker", or an area called "Metal Deluge". It both improves readability for everyone and keeps people from actually being spoiled, because instead of clicking on a bunch of white blurbs everywhere that may or may not be an abbreviated version of what you might think they're talking, GamerJohnS can look at the contextless word and say, "oh hey, I've never heard the term "Trucker Ducker" in the context of this game! Guess I shouldn't click on that!" and lets people who have played up to that point also carelessly click on it because they immediately can draw the context of the word in relation to it being in the OT for the game.

We should get someone who's playing the game fresh to comment really on how the spoilers are affecting them, it doesn't help that (I assume) we've both played before yet I care about boss names and area locations so I spoiler them, whilst you care about neither. At the end of the day though, it's a minor inconvenience to click on spoilers or just highlight the whole post to reveal all of them.

Anyone else loving the new bloodstains showing multiple deaths in an area? It reminds of Supermeat Boy hurling himself to his death during the level replays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQrsjZ1a_54

Is it just me or does the game seem way easier? I feel like almost every boss has been nerfed. In Vanilla DS2 i fought Ruin Sentinels 30 times and couldn't beat them , and lost 3-4 times even eith 2 helpers. Now I just 1 shotted them, you can kill the first one without even dropping down and the others won't even aggro yet for example.

Kind of depressing how easy some of the bosses seem to be, then they made some of the trash packs impossible. stupid shit like the Flexile Sentry boss as a regular enemy before Lost Sinner and a Pursuer that constantly spawns while you're fighting random groups of enemies . Oh and those silver guys who aggro from a mile away in Heides Tower. Idk I'm not really liking these changes so far

addyb

Soo I encountered my first
mimic
earlier in
earthen peak

Absolutely shit it I did. Totally forgot about these from dark souls lol.

Neoweee

Is it just me or does the game seem way easier? I feel like almost every boss has been nerfed. In Vanilla DS2 i fought Ruin Sentinels 30 times and couldn't beat them , and lost 3-4 times even eith 2 helpers. Now I just 1 shotted them, you can kill the first one without even dropping down and the others won't even aggro yet for example.

Kind of depressing how easy some of the bosses seem to be, then they made some of the trash packs impossible. stupid shit like the Flexile Sentry boss as a regular enemy before Lost Sinner and a Pursuer that constantly spawns while you're fighting random groups of enemies . Oh and those silver guys who aggro from a mile away in Heides Tower. Idk I'm not really liking these changes so far

They weren't. You got better and have a playthrough of experience.

Have you never replayed a Souls game before? It's always like this.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
I finally found my stride with this game! I was able to find my place in the other two souls games and Bloodborne pretty quickly so I was a bit frustrated. Lost Sinner was the final hurdle for me to start fully enjoying this game.

So far I like the environments and areas. It's a nice change of pace to have brighter more lighted areas. The lighter tone works for me. I'm enjoying the lastest bosses as well as I generally find mob bosses fun.

Neoweee

I finally found my stride with this game! I was able to find my place in the other two souls games and Bloodborne pretty quickly so I was a bit frustrated. Lost Sinner was the final hurdle for me to start fully enjoying this game.

So far I like the environments and areas. It's a nice change of pace to have brighter more lighted areas. The lighter tone works for me. I'm enjoying the lastest bosses as well as I generally find mob bosses fun.

You've likely moved to some earlier areas that you could have already done, so the difficulty jumped down a bit. It will ratchet up again.

Really? I still think some bosses got easier.
Lost sinner
was definitely one

He was nerfed like 2 weeks after the game's release a year ago, as well as the NG+ version. Aside from that I think she's been untouched.

burgerdog

Wait a minute, we have to beat the dlc in order to fight the boss that was added in a patch? He didn't pop up after beating you know who, I'm not doing the dlc and I already killed the true end boss in vanilla ds2. Just wondering what the requirements are.

nahlakhai

Love BB but I haven't beat it yet. Should I beat it and then hop over to this game? Play another game for awhile as a palette cleanser?

I was a part of the original Demon's Souls adopters that never made it past the first level and then missed out on all of DaS 1 and 2.

Mogwai

Wait a minute, we have to beat the dlc in order to fight the boss that was added in a patch? He didn't pop up after beating you know who, I'm not doing the dlc and I already killed the true end boss in vanilla ds2. Just wondering what the requirements are.
I thought The requirement was to answer correctly when you talk with
Aldia
throughout the main game?

Victrix

*beard*
Love BB but I haven't beat it yet. Should I beat it and then hop over to this game? Play another game for awhile as a palette cleanser?

I was a part of the original Demon's Souls adopters that never made it past the first level and then missed out on all of DaS 1 and 2.

I'd say play DS1 first, just so the technical improvements here don't bug you going backwards. Plus DS1 is a great game.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
True, but I didn't find those areas in DkS 1 to be that mediocre as Harvest Valley, Earthen Peak, Iron Keep, Shaded Woods, Doors of Pharros, and Brightstone Cove Tseldora.

Gotta say, that's a super-random set of areas to dislike imho.

addyb

The only location I've not liked so far is doors of pharros. I found that dull. All the others have been good. Still prefer demons souls locales the best.

Joey Ravn

Banned

I haven't played Bloodborne (and probably never will, since it's a console exclusive), but from what I've seen, Bloodborne is to Dark Souls what Aliens is to Alien. In terms of combat, Bloodborne's pace is much, much faster and the mobility of your character is much, much freer. Your character "dances" around the battlefield, since rolling and dodging cost very little stamina. And that is why there are no shields, since you are encouraged to be constantly moving, parrying and attacking, and not defending yourself passively. Dark Souls is much more methodical and calculated in its approach. It's slow, it feels heavy. A dodge can cut one third, or more, of your stamina bar. You have to be very careful with how you manage your stamina, and when you initiate an attack, since timing them wrong can get you killed in an instant. From what I've heard, it can be jarring going from Bloodborne to Dark Souls if you don't change your approach to combat.

Using the same analogy, Dark Souls II is to Dark Souls what Die Hard 2 is to Die Hard: still quite good, but basically more of the same with another coat of paint. It revists most of the ideas that made the first so great, adds a few improvements to the formula and does some stuff well enough on its own, but the sequel doesn't do much to differentiate itself from the first game.

IMO, play Dark Souls first after finishing Bloodborne, but think about it as a completely different game from Bloodborne. Don't assume that your skills will translate 100% perfectly from one game to another. And if you still want some more Souls action, get Dark Souls II once you've beaten Dark Souls.

And watch Die Hard, because it's the fucking best movie of all time.

I haven't played Bloodborne (and probably never will, since it's a console exclusive), but from what I've seen, Bloodborne is to Dark Souls what Aliens is to Alien. In terms of combat, Bloodborne's pace is much, much faster and the mobility of your character is much, much freer. Your character "dances" around the battlefield, since rolling and dodging cost very little stamina. And that is why there are no shields, since you are encouraged to be constantly moving, parrying and attacking, and not defending yourself passively. Dark Souls is much more methodical and calculated in its approach. It's slow, it feels heavy. A dodge can cut one third, or more, of your stamina bar. You have to be very careful with how you manage your stamina, and when you initiate an attack, since timing them wrong can get you killed in an instant. From what I've heard, it can be jarring going from Bloodborne to Dark Souls if you don't change your approach to combat.

Using the same analogy, Dark Souls II is to Dark Souls what Die Hard 2 is to Die Hard: still quite good, but basically more of the same with another coat of paint. It revists most of the ideas that made the first so great, adds a few improvements to the formula and does some stuff well enough on its own, but the sequel doesn't do much to differentiate itself from the first game.

IMO, play Dark Souls first after finishing Bloodborne, but think about it as a completely different game from Bloodborne. Don't assume that your skills will translate 100% perfectly from one game to another. And if you still want some more Souls action, get Dark Souls II once you've beaten Dark Souls.

And watch Die Hard, because it's the fucking best movie of all time.

Man, this analogy actually works.

Code:
[IMG]http://www.chud.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/diehard_map.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/KQ7QyIE.png[/IMG]

Then when you consider the sprawls that are the airport in Die Hard 2 and Dark Souls II's map, it actually works.

Hmm. Need to think about this more.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I haven't played Bloodborne (and probably never will, since it's a console exclusive), but from what I've seen, Bloodborne is to Dark Souls what Aliens is to Alien

That's not a bad comparison at all, but to me its much more of case of Dark Souls and Bloodborne representing two distinct forks in the road from Demon's Souls.

Dark retains the measured pace and presents a hostile environment within which the player is confined and must try to survive. Bloodborne accelerates and amplifies the aggression and like Demon's sets up the player as an outside agent who is assaulting the world.

In this respect Dark Souls 2 represents a logical progression of the ideas underpinning the "dark" branch, by upping the ante in terms of the numbers of enemies in the world and its overall size.

NEO0MJ

So I have a Fragrant Branch that I could use to either free
Straid of Olaphis
or just save for something else (i.e.,
grabbing the Estus Flask shard in the tutorial area
). Are there any weapons that are useful for me to grab using a boss soul? The bosses I've beaten so far are:
Last Giant, Pursuer, Dragonrider, Old Dragonslayer, Flexile Sentry, Ruin Sentinels, and Lost Sinner.

Pursuer Greatsword is a pretty good weapon if you can handle ultra greatswords well. I think the barbed club and warped sword from the Flexile Sentry are also good weapons.

Heysoos

The wonky ass aiming system kind irks me at times. Like I'm fighting some guy and it randomly decides to refocus itself on a different target that's not an immediate threat making me turn my back on the one I'm fighting. I'm not even touching the thumb stick so I don't know why it randomly targets someone else sometimes.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
The wonky ass aiming system kind irks me at times. Like I'm fighting some guy and it randomly decides to refocus itself on a different target that's not an immediate threat making me turn my back on the one I'm fighting. I'm not even touching the thumb stick so I don't know why it randomly targets someone else sometimes.

Honestly, just don't use lock on. It was a hard habit to break for me but it will save you a lot of frustration.

Soodanim

Is there a particular god everyone prays to? I bought the ring but I haven't made a commitment because I know nothing about it.

nahlakhai

I'd say play DS1 first, just so the technical improvements here don't bug you going backwards. Plus DS1 is a great game.

Unfortunately no last gen system, and even though I'm running native Windows on my Macbook Pro, PC gaming is just too much of a pain to set up. I'll wait for the first sale on this game and grab it. Hopefully it goes on sale at BB so I can stack GCU with it. I still have quite a ways to go in BB.

Yeah ok...how do we make Dragon Shrine any harder? Lets just put 94829 Trizzillion Dragon Knights on the bridge that aggro all at once...good job From.

Beaulieu

pursuyer is kicking my ass :(
1st try I summoned a dude who proceeded to kill him with the balistas while I fight him
right after hes dead, balist kills me too
unlike bloodborne, boss wasnt considered killed and now I have to fight him by myself because there is no marks anymore and I cant get him to half HP :'(
I think I might have fucked up by putting all my points in ADP

pursuyer is kicking my ass :(
1st try I summoned a dude who proceeded to kill him with the balistas while I fight him
right after hes dead, balist kills me too
unlike bloodborne, boss wasnt considered killed and now I have to fight him by myself because there is no marks anymore and I cant get him to half HP :'(
I think I might have fucked up by putting all my points in ADP

Just dodge right for all his attacks. There's a fire long sword nearby too if you're not hitting hard enough. ADP was the right choice. I did the same and I'm close to finished now and most all bosses have been relatively easy since you can roll through the attacks well.

Beaulieu

Just dodge right for all his attacks. There's a fire long sword nearby too if you're not hitting hard enough. ADP was the right choice. I did the same and I'm close to finished now and most all bosses have been relatively easy since you can roll through the attacks well.

ohhh, thanks for the good tips ! Where is that fire sword ?

Top Bottom