• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

ohhh, thanks for the good tips ! Where is that fire sword ?

You remember the bonfire with the hag-like merchant? If you head back out the main entrance of that building you should see a pit way down in front of you and some scaffolding leading down there. Follow it to the bottom and you will find a small tunnel to your left. There's a fire breathing salamander down the bottom of it but if you time it you can run down the tunnel into a little alcove on the left with the weapon. Has a great moveset for PvP when 2 handed.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Is there a particular god everyone prays to?

034-480x319.jpg

We should get someone who's playing the game fresh to comment really on how the spoilers are affecting them, it doesn't help that (I assume) we've both played before yet I care about boss names and area locations so I spoiler them, whilst you care about neither. At the end of the day though, it's a minor inconvenience to click on spoilers or just highlight the whole post to reveal all of them.

Anyone else loving the new bloodstains showing multiple deaths in an area? It reminds of Supermeat Boy hurling himself to his death during the level replays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQrsjZ1a_54
This is amazing

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Reposting:

How much new content (in hours) is there in this version compared to the base PS3 version? Wondering if its worth replaying it all over again or not.

Anyone knows?

Joey Ravn

Banned
That's not a bad comparison at all, but to me its much more of case of Dark Souls and Bloodborne representing two distinct forks in the road from Demon's Souls.

Dark retains the measured pace and presents a hostile environment within which the player is confined and must try to survive. Bloodborne accelerates and amplifies the aggression and like Demon's sets up the player as an outside agent who is assaulting the world.

In this respect Dark Souls 2 represents a logical progression of the ideas underpinning the "dark" branch, by upping the ante in terms of the numbers of enemies in the world and its overall size.

Sure. That's what I was trying to convey, really. Dark Souls II emphasizes the "Souls" aspect of Dark/Demon's Souls (i.e. items, mechanics, enemies, world, lore, etc.), while Bloodborne goes more for the "feeling" of a Souls game, but giving its own spin to it. It throws away the classic medieval/high fantasy setting, the connection to the lore of previous games, some of the most deeply rooted combat mechanics (shields and magic), etc. In that sense, Bloodborne is closer to Lords of the Fallen than to Dark Souls II (quality notwithstanding).

I never played Demon's Souls (for the same reason I'll probably never play Bloodborne), so I can't really comment on its merits. And that's why I use Dark Souls (one of my top 5 favorite games of all time) as the starting point of my analogy.

But from what I've seen, Dark Souls is the "natural evolution" of Demon's Souls: a more refined game that uses the same tropes, combat mechanics and story progression. For example, Demon's has a world that is sectioned off into individual chunks (aka "levels"). Dark Souls then takes that concept and stretches it to its logical conclusion: instead of having instanced zones, (close to) every area in the game is interconnect to at least another area, creating the feeling of having one seamless world. So, in that sense, Demon's and Dark Souls are (mostly) the same game... at least in what my analogy is concerned.

Is it possible to use fragrant branches of yore in such a way that you screw yourself out of unlocking all of them? I've got one right now and i can think of 3 places of using it (before the no mans wharf bonfire, the sex change coffin, and the castle before majula with the guy sitting down). But if one of these doesn't yield another branch then i might be screwed

Braag

Is it possible to use fragrant branches of yore in such a way that you screw yourself out of unlocking all of them? I've got one right now and i can think of 3 places of using it (before the no mans wharf bonfire, the sex change coffin, and the castle before majula with the guy sitting down). But if one of these doesn't yield another branch then i might be screwed

You get as many fragrant branches throughout the game as there are statues. At least I think so cause I've used all my branches I got and I can't recall any statue I haven't gone back to and brought to life.
It's obviously up to you on which statues you use them on first.

Tybolt

Banned
I agree in level design and atmosphere ( although sometimes it's on pair as well ), but regarding the "boring areas", while it's true, let's not forget Lost Izalith, Crystal Caves,Tomb of the Giants. Dark Souls had some pretty mediocre areas as well. I think that overall, DkS2 is more consistent in quality, and didn't go down to the levels of the worst areas in Dark Souls 1.

I also think it's by far the one with the most and best variety in character building in the entire series.

New game + additions is also pretty awesome and adds quite a bit of replayability to an already highly replayable game!

Who didn't love getting eye strain from playing there?

Beaulieu

pursuer boss givin me a harder time than all of BB bosses together, including the watchdog of the old lords in defiled dungeon tbh.

platinumed ds1 and bb but this guy is my weakness, or my build fuckin sucks.

pursuer boss givin me a harder time than all of BB bosses together, including the watchdog of the old lords in defiled dungeon tbh.

platinumed ds1 and bb but this guy is my weakness, or my build fuckin sucks.
Weird, I killed him way early and almost didn't even get hit. Lock on and roll to the side, his moves have insanely long charge up time.

tuna_love

Banned
Like a few people have said. Always dodge towards the pursuer in his left. There's a rhythm to dodging him that makes it kinda fun for me.

Get'sMad

Like there's a bunch of stuff I really like about this game but in this version sometimes it just seems like they said "hey let's just make some of the stuff that was already annoying or poorly designed in the original version and just double down on it!"

Heysoos

by the way fuck the area right after the smelter demon and fuck whoever decided to put a bunch of the turtle shell guys in those tightly packed corridors when you're moving up

Each day that passes that my local independent game store does not have this game in the grumpier I get. Think I will just use my credit there to buy an extra controller and move on ><

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I've been meaning to comment on this for a while (since I did a bit of it on my tank aswell) but coop through a zone (as opposed to just a boss) is really fun. People will point out secret walls and shit

Kazuhira

Fume Knight. What a load of shit. Each loss feels like a slap on the face. Fuck.

I died like 300 times against this mofo,my rage level was beyond off the charts.
Drop your shield,fight naked and use Velstadt´s helmet,that´s the only way imo.
Hardest boss i´ve ever faced in any souls game.

Get'sMad

I stopped playing the OG PS3 version before they did that big patch w/ some of the boss nerfs and I just did Sinner and damn that was cake. I remember having trouble w/ it on my first go around.

Sullichin

Well, I bought this. Beat DS2 a bunch of times but I'm unsure how I want to build my character this time. I started as a knight and will probably go the STR route as usual!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I died like 300 times against this mofo,my rage level was beyond off the charts.
Drop your shield,fight naked and use Velstadt´s helmet,that´s the only way imo.
Hardest boss i´ve ever faced in any souls game.

Oh shit, I never went up against the dark souls 2 DLC bosses but I remember the black dragon in the Artorias DLC made me give up entirely. Not looking forward to fighting this dude.

Best boss in any souls game imo.

I felt Knight Artorias was the best boss fight personally. He had an interesting move set that kept you on your toes and blocking was never an option.

ExVicis

Alright after getting to and struggling in Iron Keep I can see why some people are frustrated with this game and and it's re-design because this is just dumb. I can fucking see them spawning in, why?!

Victrix

*beard*
Alright after getting to and struggling in Iron Keep I can see why some people are frustrated with this game and and it's re-design because this is just dumb. I can fucking see them spawning in, why?!

Use a bow, pull, profit?

Dunno I found shrine more annoying personally, iron keep just felt like a typical one step at a time sloggy type deal. Plus you can skip the first boss.

ExVicis

Use a bow, pull, profit?

Dunno I found shrine more annoying personally, iron keep just felt like a typical one step at a time sloggy type deal. Plus you can skip the first boss.
Pull what though? They spawn in on you. I feel like you can only really slog it out or retreat.

Hugstable

Banned
Pull what though? They spawn in on you. I feel like you can only really slog it out or retreat.

I think those guys are always waiting there, they just have a crazy long agrro range. Just take it slow, it's only the ones straight ahead that come like that. Over the bridge to the right at the top you can see 2 others and snipe them to pull.

pa22word

Pursuers are really easy imo. You can just walk around him for most of his attacks and he has really wide parry frames on a lot of his attacks. A good trick for people having issues is just to remember to always roll to his right, and when he does his charge and swing move you can circle strafe to his right and never get hit, then waylay him and turtle until he does the move again. Rinse repeat and you can kill him as a naked deprived without much trouble, even though it might take you some time :p

Well, I bought this. Beat DS2 a bunch of times but I'm unsure how I want to build my character this time. I started as a knight and will probably go the STR route as usual!

the beauty of ds2 is you can totally change your build if you hit a wall or get bored.

i'm gonna stream some more for the rest of the night. my build's about level 90, gotta go find the rotten and go through the gutter (gotta get my butcher's knife), as always with about 75% pvp thrown in between small chunks of progress. i think i'm gonna ascetic the chariot boss now even though murderer's row becomes hell when you do that...i just need dat choloranthy +2 ring, so spoiled by bloodbornes fast recovery

is the battle axe worth leveling up? as a 'strength' build (20 str is my highest attack stat, have lots of agility as well for melee) i always love using the hand axe since its so strong for being so light, how's the battle?

http://www.twitch.tv/sonicxtreme/

Get'sMad

Dang I miss those weird things that crawled around in the water in Sinner's Rise that you could lure into the hole where the lift is. Instead they just stuck a Flexile Sentry in there.

smh

ExVicis

I think those guys are always waiting there, they just have a crazy long agrro range. Just take it slow, it's only the ones straight ahead that come like that. Over the bridge to the right at the top you can see 2 others and snipe them to pull.
If so they disguised them well because it looks to me like spawn in. I've observed as a phantom and sat back just to see where they come from. They almost magically appear it looks like because they're not there and then suddenly they are.

Edit: Holy shit you're right, some aggro from inside the damn keep

Dang I miss those weird things that crawled around in the water in Sinner's Rise that you could lure into the hole where the lift is. Instead they just stuck a Flexile Sentry in there.

smh

Have those enemies been completely removed from the game now? The only place I've seen them is in a cage in A
ldia's Keep

Neoweee

If so they disguised them well because it looks to me like spawn in. I've observed as a phantom and sat back just to see where they come from. They almost magically appear it looks like because they're not there and then suddenly they are.

Edit: Holy shit you're right, some aggro from inside the damn keep

They changed the zone considerably. The ones that charge you as you enter replace ones that were standing near the entrance in the first place, but are now not there. So they've mostly moved them around and added AI to make your entry into Iron Keep more like an "incursion" that the castle defenders are charging to take on.

I think they're also programmed to fight you one-on-one, even if you retreat far, because they're crazy samurais.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Oh ffs, the flexile sentry respawns on the path to sinner ughh.

Top Bottom