• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

According to one of the two Dark Souls II wikis,
Fume Knight
is the hardest boss in the game:

"Stats collected by FromSoft reveal him as the hardest boss in the game, sporting a 93% failure rate."

Really? Is it that much harder than
Darklurker
? I'm finding it hard to believe.

It certainly was among the hardest ever for me. On par with O+S, easily.

Ac30

It just requires patience. Put on your best poison gear and the poison ring if you have it. You can equip a shield that has a very high poison block rate and a weapon that allows you to attack from behind a shield to safely take out the statues in the more troublesome areas. You know there are going to be monsters in a few of the pools so lure them out and retreat back a bit to an area you already cleared of statues and murder them.

It is methodical but you can get through it without much trouble. The new invasions do kind of make it more difficult now, but you can always retreat to an area you cleared of statues to fight them.

Those invasions threw me for a loop. They attack insanely fast with their greatswords and love using shield break. Backstabbing is crazy good with a mace though, instant loss of half their health :D

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
While I don't think DS2 is the best souls game, it's probably my favorite. It certainly is the one I've replayed the most that's for sure. I don't even know why, probably the build variety

Get'sMad

While I don't think DS2 is the best souls game, it's probably my favorite. It certainly is the one I've replayed the most that's for sure. I don't even know why, probably the build variety

It's def. not my fav but I totally see the appeal in this regard....especially going back w/ this one now after only playing though the OG console versions multiple times.

Like as I've said about it before...I really can't think of a game that there are sooo many things I really love about and hate at the same time and I'm kinda glad it exist because of that.

dolemite

Got the staff of wisdom drop much sooner than in the vanilla version: what a great acquisition for my sorcerer build. The mimic is in the first area of
Brightstone Cove Tseldora
inside the house that is tricky to get to. He may be worth farming for mage builds looking for the best staff.

Build variety isn't something that factors into these games for me as I have a specific play style, but I do like some of the mechanics changes with this game. The changes to hollowing, actual counter hit damage (even if it's not as effective as in Demon's Souls), the estus system along with separate health items makes things much more challenging. Other things are still uneven in quality, though, but I legit find this game better than Dark Souls 1 in terms of systems.

Maedre

Banned
Got the staff of wisdom drop much sooner than in the vanilla version: what a great acquisition for my sorcerer build. The mimic is in the first area of
Brightstone Cove Tseldora
inside the house that is tricky to get to. He may be worth farming for mage builds looking for the best staff.

you can shoot an arrow through the Window of the house.

addyb

So glad I got out of earthen peak last night. Also glad I did a respec so I coupe have a hybrid build and basically add casting abilities. That helped me out in the peak :)

I found
gilligan
that was a sneaky place to put him and also the
burning of the windmill
is also very sneaky.

So with finding that fella I guess it's best to descend the pit now instead of going to iron keep?

Also I've missed it I think but can someone tell me where the poison bite ring is?

Talking or rings (ooo errr) what does everyone rock on this?

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I can't wait to play this. I Just finished Dark Souls tonight. I really loved absolutely everything, I can't even put it into words. It is the King's Field 5/6 I always wanted.

I am ready for more.

Taking a souls break though since I just did like 70 hours. Hopefully this second one goes on sale fast on steam since it's a remake? Any rumors about a fast price drop?

NEO0MJ

According to one of the two Dark Souls II wikis,
Fume Knight
is the hardest boss in the game:

"Stats collected by FromSoft reveal him as the hardest boss in the game, sporting a 93% failure rate."

Really? Is it that much harder than
Darklurker
? I'm finding it hard to believe.

Fume Knight
absolutely destroys shield users so that shouldn't be surprising.

Edit: players who wear heavy armor or wield heavy weapons are also at a disadvantage.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I think they switched the location of that key to the area opposite that. Go from the Servant's Quarters out the other way, and it should be on the ledge of the broken bridge.
D'oh! Should have realized they'd change item placement as well as enemy. Sorry, I have no business offering advice in this thread, I could totally lead players astray with outdated info. My bad. ^^

Hugstable

Banned
I'll start with a vague hint, go through the area you just talked about again and think of things you had to do before.

Yup I ended up figuring it out, was a little weird and random of a solution I thought. The boss of that place was sooooooo good though
Mirror Knight
He took me about 5 attempts, always was stuck in that final 25% of his health, he took a bit to get down!

I've been in the dreaded Shrine of Amala now.

Get'sMad

lol
XXH14dM.jpg

Corpekata

Banned
Sorry which boss?

Poisonbite ring
is behind a Pharros Lockstone in Earthen Peak. The lowest area of the building you fight the Covetous Demon. The path will be covered in poison if you didn't burn the windmill yet. Burning it will drain the area and make it safer to traverse.

addyb

Poisonbite ring
is behind a Pharros Lockstone in Earthen Peak. The lowest area of the building you fight the Covetous Demon. The path will be covered in poison if you didn't burn the windmill yet. Burning it will drain the area and make it safer to traverse.

Ahh ok done the windmill and the
poison queen boss
last night so will head back there and take a look.

SkylineRKR

Lost Bastille Q's:

Was there really no shortcut towards the boss? Had to run past 9 cluttered enemies each time after I lost to those 3 sobs. But got them the 4th time. Shitty fight.

Also, on the way to the next area there is a statue blocking a cell and it seems a bonfire behind it. Is that place worth it?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Fume Knight
absolutely destroys shield users so that shouldn't be surprising.

Edit: players who wear heavy armor or wield heavy weapons are also at a disadvantage.

Between this and the other boss, it's as if FROM actively disliked melee players...

Lost Bastille Q's:

Was there really no shortcut towards the boss? Had to run past 9 cluttered enemies each time after I lost to those 3 sobs. But got them the 4th time. Shitty fight.

Also, on the way to the next area there is a statue blocking a cell and it seems a bonfire behind it. Is that place worth it?

Which boss? The
Ruin Sentinels
? Or the one after those, in the next area:
Sinner's Rise
? IIRC, there's a bonfire very near the first boss, but you do have to ride an elevator and cross a section with water and several enemies every time you try to get to the second boss.

Lost Bastille Q's:

Yes
He trades boss souls for weapons

Pretty sure there's no shortcut, at least I never found one. It's about the same distance from any of the 3 surrounding bonfires. The boss was easy enough if you summon the two NPCs.

SkylineRKR

Between this and the other boss, it's as if FROM actively disliked melee players...

Which boss? The
Ruin Sentinels
? Or the one after those, in the next area:
Sinner's Rise
? IIRC, there's a bonfire very near the first boss, but you do have to ride an elevator and cross a section with water and several enemies every time you try to get to the second boss.

The Ruin guys. But I went from the cell, rushing past the mummies and the gank squad. Taking the ladder, quickly summon the phantom in the cell and go. Clearing them out got tedious.

The Ruin guys. But I went from the cell, rushing past the mummies and the gank squad. Taking the ladder, quickly summon the phantom in the cell and go. Clearing them out got tedious.

There was a second summon, in the 'L' corner, where a bunch of stacked explosive barrels are (just to the left of cell with the ladder). One phantom tanked, the other used spells, I just stood by and attacked when required.

Mman235

Down the stairs in the area where all the knights attack you there's a door that opens into a pit. After you've opened it there's a place near MacDuff's bonfire where you can drop off and fall into that entrance; that skips the knight fight and most of the other enemies on the way to that boss.

takriel

Down the stairs in the area where all the knights attack you there's a door that opens into a pit. After you've opened it there's a place near MacDuff's bonfire where you can drop off and fall into that entrance; that skips the knight fight and most of the other enemies on the way to that boss.
Do you have to roll or jump, I can never remember?

SkylineRKR

I saw lots of spectres dying there. Thought it was a hoax door.

I didn't even find his workshop yet. I am getting more aware of explosive barrels and illusionary walls etc though. Though I do have the key (which was hard to get in vanilla I read).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
havent seen summons in awhile, either its early, or im already overlvled :(

stupid soul memory

addyb

I had a strange one last night. Put a summon outside the
chariot boss
got summoned and died on the boss. Every attempt after that I got the message saying I'd be summoned then after 10 seconds got another message saying it had been cancelled by user. This happened about 6 times in a row so sodded it off then.

Just weird as first attempt was fine and then after that no luck.

Guru-Guru

Banned
I think I am going to pick this up tomorrow. Bloodborne was my 1st From Software game and I loved it. 40 hours of pure bliss. On the weekend I thought I should take a break before playing Dark Souls II, which seems to be longer than Bloodborne. I got Dragon Age: Inquisition, which was on sale. I know it is an unfair comparison, but the combat system felt like complete shit. It was also jarring playing a game where you have a map with just about everything already conveniently labelled for the player. Bloodborne spoiled me; time for Dark Souls II!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I think I am going to pick this up tomorrow. Bloodborne was my 1st From Software game and I loved it. 40 hours of pure bliss. On the weekend I thought I should take a break before playing Dark Souls II, which seems to be longer than Bloodborne. I got Dragon Age: Inquisition, which was on sale. I know it is an unfair comparison, but the combat system felt like complete shit. It was also jarring playing a game where you have a map with just about everything already conveniently labelled for the player. Bloodborne spoiled me; time for Dark Souls II!

To be fair... Inquisition is pretty bad. Combat system is a joke and it's basically a series of fetch quests and collectathons.

Dude dont take a break, hop right in. After you finished DK2, get a PS3 with DK1 and Demon souls .

Then go replay every game in NG+ :p

SkylineRKR

I liked Inquisition a lot but the tactical view goes to waste since its easy to build something way too broken that can simply rush in (would save a lot of time for regular mobs). I ignored lots of fetch quests later on, its better if you only do a few and then story or romance stuff.

Bloodborne is much better though. DS2 as well.

Top Bottom