• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Jobbs

Banned
no its still shit, I havent seen a summon sign (besides the npc ones) in ages :/

if you light up all the torches in the tutorial (things betwix area) you get a red phantom now, did that happen in vanilla?

yeah, because I like to sit around white phantoming people over and over for no real reason I think I've ruined my character. I don't see signs anymore.

hawk2025

Man, that one surprise fight in Lost Bastille was so fun!

Pursuer out of nowhere, as I come back from the now-blocked entrance to the castle... and it can Curse me? :O

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure how far you are but
Nashandra is the foremost example and the boss of Earthen Peak and the scorpioness are two other cases.

A "motif" is a repeating concept or idea in a fiction and I think this consistent characterization fits the definition pretty well. I don't necessarily think it's problematic (it's fine to have wicked women in your story) but I'd definitely like to see it add up to something rather than just echo classic mythology. Hearing that it's subverted later on is encouraging.

I've completed vanilla a few times, but haven't yet touched the DLC.

I suppose I see your point about Nashandra, although a lot of that plot was lost on me (wasn't she supposed to be
the first human, Manus, reincarnated?)

What did the Scorpioness do that was manipulative?

M.D

Can you get up the broken stairs after the first boss in Earthen Peak by jumping or is there another way to do it?
Of all the Souls games/BB, this one has the story I understand the least.

Everything you've mentioned in this post is within the first half of the base game. There's a ton more.
:O

I feel like I've been to a ton of areas already, this game must be pretyy big then

Dimmle

I've completed vanilla a few times, but haven't yet touched the DLC.

I suppose I see your point about Nashandra, although a lot of that plot was lost on me (wasn't she supposed to be
the first human, Manus, reincarnated?)

Yeah, she is a
"daughter of Manus."
I think the Scorpioness betrayed Scorpion Guy somehow, if I remember his story correctly, but I've gotta be honest that a lot of the plot/subplots of Dark Souls games are mostly lost on me as well.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
One thing I absolutely love about this game is the torch system. Lighting up the darker locations is brilliant. It makes The Gutter and No Man's Wharf really enjoyable. Tomb of the Giants probably could've been excellent if it had this.

Kazuhira

She just became violent/crazy and wanted to fight scorpion dude Tark.
Same goes for the queen from earthen peak,she was angry because iron king senpai didn´t notice her.
Nothing really manipulative imo

So Bloodborne was my first Souls game and I loved it. At the same time I know I wouldn't have finished it without farming madness(thanks 2 werewolves). Can you farm in this game I guess is my question?

Danny 117

The crashes on Xbox One are getting ridiculous now. There's no correlation between events, they all just seem random. Memory leaks maybe ?

Just beat the main boss of the 3rd DLC and got the crown. Looks nice on my character :D

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The crashes on Xbox One are getting ridiculous now. There's no correlation between events, they all just seem random. Memory leaks maybe ?

Just beat the main boss of the 3rd DLC and got the crown. Looks nice on my character :D

Up to 14 crashes for me. Pretty frustrating.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So Bloodborne was my first Souls game and I loved it. At the same time I know I wouldn't have finished it without farming madness(thanks 2 werewolves). Can you farm in this game I guess is my question?

Hell yeah, you can farm.

Eventually, enemies will stop respawning (I think the number of kills it takes differs depending on the area), but you can also use items called Bonfire Ascetics to power up the area and make it start from scratch. It pretty much puts that zone into New Game+ zone (or one difficulty level higher than whatever New Game you are on).

One thing you'll love coming from Bloodborne is that you can just respawn enemies by resting at a Bonfire (Lamp equivalent in Dark Souls) and not have to deal with any loading times (although the loads are short in DSII:SotFS).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
yeah, because I like to sit around white phantoming people over and over for no real reason I think I've ruined my character. I don't see signs anymore.

I don't even do that dude, just playing normal, I'm even summoning for most bosses to get back to where I was on my first character faster, so it's not like I'm dying a lot and getting a ton of souls and I'm still grossly over the soul memory :/

Dimmle

One thing I absolutely love about this game is the torch system. Lighting up the darker locations is brilliant. It makes The Gutter and No Man's Wharf really enjoyable. Tomb of the Giants probably could've been excellent if it had this.

SotFS's lighting and "darker darks" actually makes the torch system practical. It was pretty useless in the original game outside of the Gutter and No Man's Wharf but in SotFS I've found corners of every area that benefit from shining a little light.

Hell yeah, you can farm.

It's also important to note that you don't have to farm in DSII if you don't want to. It's mainly done for optional upgrades, loot, and armor sets and not for health or ammo.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
SotFS's lighting and "darker darks" actually makes the torch system practical. It was pretty useless in the original game outside of the Gutter and No Man's Wharf but in SotFS I've found corners of every area that benefit from shining a little light.

The best place to use the torch is actually undead crypt

:3

I don't even do that dude, just playing normal, I'm even summoning for most bosses to get back to where I was on my first character faster, so it's not like I'm dying a lot and getting a ton of souls and I'm still grossly over the soul memory :/

Yeah it seems impossible to keep your soul memory low. I did quite a bit of sprinting through areas to get straight to the boss, also making sure not to lose my souls much so my level would be maxed out in reference to the soul memory. Now I've actually got the gear I want and I'm SL165 (no point stopping thanks to the memory) and have only dropped like 100k souls max and hardly ever see signs anymore. I got one guy in Amana earlier but that's the only other time since maxing out the rat covenant.

I've not even beaten the damn game yet but I've collected way too many souls still. I probably shouldn't have bothered with any of the DLC considering how far over the mark I am now but that's where the weapon I wanted was. Soul Memory is a royal pain in the ass.

Rhaknar

Speaking of fucked up things, what does the lever in
Aldias Keep
do again?

Rhaknar

Speaking of
aldia keep what's up with the guy in the energy prison
? I never figured it out in vanilla

ike_

So I learned the fun way what producing light in the crypt does in this version of the game, and I know from vanilla what pulling the lever does in Aldia's Keep, but this all leaves me scratching my head about what lighting those ominous torches in Aldia's Keep does?

This seems like the perfect place to ask.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So I learned the fun way what producing light in the crypt does in this version of the game, and I know from vanilla what pulling the lever does in Aldia's Keep, but this all leaves me scratching my head about what lighting those ominous torches in Aldia's Keep does?

Spoilers:
Each torch summons a phantom. Forgot what happens if you beat all of them though

Rhaknar

It's the new way for the skeleton dragon to wake up. Each torch spawns a red phantom, kill them all and he wakes up
. It's one of the few changes I don't like, just because it completely removes a awesome moment in the game

Get'sMad

The latter 2 DLCs were supposed to be the better ones right? Because I'm going through what was the 1st one (Sunken King) and not exactly enjoying it.

ike_

Spoilers:
Each torch summons a phantom. Forgot what happens if you beat all of them though

It's the new way for the skeleton dragon to wake up. Each torch spawns a red phantom, kill them all and he wakes up
. It's one of the few changes I don't like, just because it completely removes a awesome moment in the game

Haha well thank you both, I did not expect a direct answer from anyone. That does address the
dragon
elephant in the room though.

I managed to get my miniskirt & heels from lever bro, so I'm not going to mess with anything else and I'm going to consider this a victory.

FLT7iQY.jpg

The latter 2 DLCs were supposed to be the better ones right? Because I'm going through what was the 1st one (Sunken King) and not exactly enjoying it.

Yeah, I would say so. People's favorites tend to be DLC2 or DLC3. I don't like going into DLC1 (sunken) much myself besides a quick run through to pick up OP weapons and upgrade materials. They get much better.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Why the other games in the series don't let you respec is beyond me. It adds more replayability, at least for me, because new game plus gets boring using the same build and I usually just quit. With respec I can just do it at the start of NG+ and have a whole different experience. I love it.

Zocano

Seeing people say Sunken King is the worst hurts me deeply.

Its level design shits on everything from Dark Souls 1 and the main Dark Souls 2 game and rivals Latria and Yarnham. Amazing in atmosphere and intricacy and uniqueness. Nothing else comes close to it.

Seeing people say Sunken King is the worst hurts me deeply.

Its level design shits on everything from Dark Souls 1

whoa now... aesthetically it's a mess (especially the interiors with a bland square room frequency maybe even higher than vanilla DS2, a remarkable accomplishment), and big chunks of the layout are nonsensical as far as the area being a thing that's supposed to exist in a "world" and not solely a videogame level.

Iron King suffers from some of the same things, but to a lesser degree. it at least feels like a fucked up... foundry type thing, or something.

Rhaknar

Ancient Dragon is the only boss in the whole series that visually scares me...I think it's the size. I always talk to him and go on my way :(

Zocano

I mean it's a giant Aztec ziggurat, I don't know what aesthetically there is to mess up.

I get where your second point comes from but I don't understand how it could be detrimental to your experience. I'd rather take something that's interesting to explore rather than something that feels realistic in structure and function.

Zocano

I haven't played the remixed version (if it even is remixed) but the enemy numbers are hardly something that would really get in your way unless you're just running through aggroing everyone.

Beaulieu

can anyone tell me VERY CLEARLY in a NON CRYPTIC WAY where to go after killing the giant and the pursuer ? Ive been running around in circles for two hours now.

trying to find the info on the internet is hell because the statues dont seem to be at the same place as OG game.

I must be missing something super obvious... completed DS1 and platinumed BB without a guide...

edit : welp, just found out how to open a way in the "sewers", lets see what happens..

Get'sMad

I haven't played the remixed version (if it even is remixed) but the enemy numbers are hardly something that would really get in your way unless you're just running through aggroing everyone.

yeah I never played the original DLCs so I don't know what has/hasn't been changed but the 1st 2 areas of it are littered w/ tons of enemies that aggro right away from far distances and will chase you through most of the area. It's not very fun. I basically just had to learn how to fly through the area and run past most guys.

environmentally/aesthetically I think it's cool for sure, but the enemy layout and stuff, in this one anyways, is just annoying/frustrating in not a fun or challenging way at all.

Rhaknar

can anyone tell me VERY CLEARLY in a NON CRYPTIC WAY where to go after killing the giant and the pursuer ? Ive been running around in circles for two hours now.

trying to find the info on the internet is hell because the statues dont seem to be at the same place as OG game.

I must be missing something super obvious... completed DS1 and platinumed BB without a guide...

After pursuer if you
get on the birds nest it takes you to lost Bastille. But you should go back to Majula again, go in the tunnel on the right side from the cabin, which takes you to heide tower->no mans wharf and then lost bastille. Yes there's 2 ways to get to lost bastille

There should be a bird nest past the pursuer boss fight room that you can examine.

He should do the
heide tower
route first no? I think so at least

hey so my characer's a banger, 50 health 20 end, 22 adp, 20 str, base almost everything else but im thinking about taking dex to 15 mostly for the ice rapier range attack. my magic is only 6. in vanilla version of this game, you could put ice rapier on a non magic char and still get decent projectile damage with the weapon.

ideally i'd like to add that to my build bc, i'm all melee, and dont wanna raise SM by buying arrows or throwing knives constantly. ice rapier worked as a great substitution before. is it still worth using in that way? my builds biggest weakness is i just have no range so if they get a little bit of space it's hard for me to fully punish an estus

Top Bottom