• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

DALBEN

Banned
I'm not sure if your only problem is the fast travel from the get-go, or the lagging hitboxes. Or both?

I liked the fast travelling. It's not like it can teleport you directly to the end of the game. You still have to do it on your own first and only after lighting a bonfire can you fast travel to it. I don't see why it would be a deal breaker. Also, I didn't have any of your lagging hitboxes, but I primarily played in offline mode, maybe that's the reason it was smooth for me?

Sorry about that. I dont hate the fast travel, i simply think that walking from one area to other is more rewarding ( like dks1 ).

About the videos, these are the only " bugs " that i found in the game ( happened to me at least 5 times ), but is stopped after i lvled my agi to 100 ( could be a coincidence ).

Sorry for not making myself clear, my english is not that good.

So I almost killed the Pursuer in the lost batille (the area with the chest near start) he hit me once-and disappeared- anyone manage to kill him there? whats he drop?

Fast traveling is fine, I can't imagine at what point of the game you would get fast traveling if not the start. The game actually divides quite a bit in comparison to Dark Souls imo. It's much easier to go to Huntsman's Copse instead of No-Man's Wharf and do just fine, or skip Huntsman's Copse and go to the Valley after doing Sinner's Rise. You couldn't do that as easily in Dark Souls as the catacombs are blocked off, and your main objective is to ring the two bells.

One of my main problems against Dark Souls 2 is it is even more knowledge dependent than the other 2 games. I think what turns off a lot of people is the way they handled the Estus flask, the overabundance of stats, and the fact that agility exists at all. Adaptation shouldn't exist, it's poorly explained and is an absolutely crucial stat unless you go with a heavy armor + sword and shield build. Even then you drink way too slow. Vigor also seems weird and pointless, no idea why they separated it from endurance.

Maybe the Estus shards would work if you started with way more Estus flask, or if the shards were rewarded for downing Bosses. I think it would be really intimidating to a new player to have only one reusable health source, and then be out of luck once they run out of life gems.

So I almost killed the Pursuer in the lost batille (the area with the chest near start) he hit me once-and disappeared- anyone manage to kill him there? whats he drop?

Twinkling Titanite and 6k souls I think. He'll reappear if you go to the bonfire. Took me a few tries because if you don't kill the mobs outside (including the mummy creature) they'll barge in during the fight.

So how much is ice rapiers projectile slowed down from the nerf? I have a full melee build w only 6 mag that I might bring to 15 dex just for that range attack since I'm not using knives or arrows or bolts. Is mag ice rapier still a decent range poker with no stat investment like it used to be ?

Yeah the game is so spread out, no fast traveling would turn off many people even just if it was right from the start (if the difficulty didn't already). And the Pursuer is famous for the slightly wonky hitbox for that glowing blue stab. Try to either get around him completely or just leave a bigger window to dodge.

FixatedMouth

Neo Member
good lord at the difficulty spike in the dlc o_O

started with the gulch one, these enemies take 3 dark orbs at least to kill, and theres a million of them :/

thinking more and more about switching to normal magic, at least each spell is only 1 slot compared to most of hexes being 2 slots...and even with a +10 chime, one of the best (caithe) the dmg still isnt that impressive :/

All three dlc areas are very resistant to magic. I had a caster with 75 intelligence and needed 4 crystal soul spears to kill the basic enemies.

DALBEN

Banned
Maybe you guys are right, its just that i loved dks1, just one big map ( minus some areas ), interconected, it was a great feeling finding the shortcuts.

I think im strong enough now, the next thing im gonna do is murder all pursers, they ( he? ) killed me so many times.

Hehe fixated, the last thing im gonna do is play the dlc, good to know that they are hard.

theDeeDubs

I've only crashed twice and both times I was online on XB1. Although, I only play online until I get 30
sunlight
medals from co-op for
Sunlight Spear
then immediately go back offline. I just really hate pvp, and sadly this makes me miss out on getting to laugh at blood stains.

Just beat Darklurker yesterday and have finished everything on NG except the DLC, so that's my next path I guess. I don't know if they have tweaked bosses, but certain ones that never gave me trouble before have been pains in the ass this time around. Keeping
Lucatiel
alive on The Rotten was a bitch. Whereas I found it easy on Smelter. I also found Velstadt super hard this time around, but never had trouble with him before. Darklurker felt about the same, and I find it's a fight more about luck than anything because certain spell combos after
it splits
can be tough to find openings to attack back in whereas if it favors
melee
and
beam attack
it's a cakewalk. Mirror Knight also felt easier to me.

Still rocking mace and pyro flame some, but have switched mostly to Dragonrider Bow and pyro flame now. Forgot how much I loved archery in DS 2. I also loaded up some great lightning spears for Darklurker and found them still surprisingly effective since I've pumped fai and attn for pyro anyway. So Dragon Chime has found its way into the rotation as well now.

Did they change the layouts or anything with the DLC?

Like say I hadn't played DLC2 and 3 on the original am I gonna experience something different in Scholar DLC areas than I would in the original DLC areas?

M.D

Right before the third bonfire (before the boss) at Iron Keep there's a thing with 2 bull heads on it that starts moving if you attack and messages about a ring

Anyone knows what's up with that?

Santiako

Has anyone here played SOTFS on both PS4 and PC? If so, is the PS4 version solid in terms of framerate and load times?

I haven't played it on pc, but on ps4 the 60 fps are rock solid and the load times are very short (2-10 seconds depending on the area).

masterkajo

If I purchase the Steam upgrade of Dark Souls 2 to Dark Souls 2 SotFS will I lose access to my dx9 Dark Souls 2 on Steam? Or will I own both versions?

Kazuhira

If I purchase the Steam upgrade of Dark Souls 2 to Dark Souls 2 SotFS will I lose access to my dx9 Dark Souls 2 on Steam? Or will I own both versions?

The DirectX11 and DirectX9 versions have their own Steam page,they are separate games.
So yeah,you will own both versions.

masterkajo

The DirectX11 and DirectX9 versions have their own Steam page,they are separate games.
So yeah,you will own both versions.

Thanks, that is pretty cool. Thought I might lose the dx9 version. This way I can still go back to Durante's GeDoSaTo or play with a friend who doesn't seem to want to upgrade.

After Old Iron King there's a pool of water or something, I went back there and it teleports me to an area with a closed door and some empty rooms on either side. Is this one of the DLC areas? I don't remember this from vanilla DS2.

Victrix

*beard*
After Old Iron King there's a pool of water or something, I went back there and it teleports me to an area with a closed door and some empty rooms on either side. Is this one of the DLC areas? I don't remember this from vanilla DS2.

Yep. You need a key to get in there, you'll know it when you see it.

Had a guy constantly invading and killing me at the Iron Keep entrance. Summoned a helper and kicked his ass. God that felt good. Thanks buddy!

Fhtagn

First of all, sorry about my english, still learning.

I played demons souls and dark souls 1 to death, i tried dks 2 and stoped halfway two times on my 360 ( i dont had the time do play it ) .

I bought dks2 sotfs on my x1 and im loving, my goty easily. Its so good, i lost 10 years of my life yesterday playing Shrine of Amana, but it was so good and such a WTF boss at the end of it, cant wait to play it more, im already thinking on my NG+.

Fuck this new "pursuer", i encontered him 4 times already, please game, just stop hehe, i hate that guy.

I hated black gulch at first, but i ended loving it.

The only problem that i have against this game is:

- Why fast travel since the start ? :(

THIS:

http://xboxclips.com/GC+DALBEN/37e35803-5172-4eb6-a62a-3d227ee27c41
http://xboxclips.com/GC+DALBEN/56ffb140-a27e-4e5b-9ee9-b8f60427c2f4

Its a beautiful game in many ways:
http://xboxclips.com/GC+DALBEN/ed3b6f58-771f-4ade-866b-d5f9c93c1d62

NGNURxg.gif

That hippo vacuum grab is why I haven't bought this yet. It's brutally stupid and unfair. I will eventually play this for sure, but unless they fix that I'm in no rush to pay $60 for it. I dealt with that enough times in the PS3 version.

M.D

Yep. You need a key to get in there, you'll know it when you see it.
Are you talking about the snowy area? I killed that boss then lit the primal bonfire, and at the back theres some structure to examine which teleported me to an area with 2 rooms on either side but I don't remember a locked door? I got on an elevator that took me to some snowy towers

Wonder where I got that key if there was a door that I don't remember

addyb

So gaf I've so far done

Last giant
Dragon rider
Old Dragon slayer
Flexile sentry
Lost sinner
Sentinels
Scorpion lady
Royal rat brigade
Chariot
Covetous demon
Royal rat authority
Poison woman
Skeleton lords
Rotten boss

How far am I into the game now?

Also some critique on my stats. I started off melee but wanted some casting abilities so did a bit of a respec

VIG - 15
End - 13
Vit - 12
Atn - 13
Str - 20
Dex - 21
Int - 21
Fth - 20
Adp - 16

Not quite sure what I should be concentrating on now. More vigor and adaptability?

When you guys try and roll after attacking, does it seem as if the character pauses a little TOO long before finally rolling? I've gotten hit so many times when I try and roll after hitting an enemy -.-

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
All three dlc areas are very resistant to magic. I had a caster with 75 intelligence and needed 4 crystal soul spears to kill the basic enemies.

that is turning me off completely of doing them then :/

M°°nblade;160205602 said:
There probably is a connection. Didn't DS1 lore mention something about the trees in Ash lake being connections to or plateaus supporting different universes?
Something like that. We see a giant expanse of them in the lake, while only one is visible in Lordaeron.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh yeah THATS why I hate invasions, thanks for reminding me dark souls. its not bad enough that Im hating this stupid DLC zone, I cant find any summon signs because of my soul memory, and some asshole decides to ruin my run, great

forcing pvp onto a pve game will always be the most baffling decision in these games in my opinion.

Joey Ravn

Banned
oh yeah THATS why I hate invasions, thanks for reminding me dark souls. its not bad enough that Im hating this stupid DLC zone, I cant find any summon signs because of my soul memory, and some asshole decides to ruin my run, great

forcing pvp onto a pve game will always be the most baffling decision in these games in my opinion.

nah, brah, git gud

#rekt

No, in all seriousness, this is my main problem with Dark Souls II: forced invasions. In DsK1 you could choose to risk it and go human if you wanted to summon someone, or play the game hollow if you didn't want to get invaded. But here comes FROM and fuck you, player, get invaded by people who are actively building their characters to wreck yours. The only option you have is to fully disconnect yourself from the game, but that means that you'll miss the bloodpools and messages...

Neoweee

But here you can turn off invasions by burning an effigy, at least.

Ayt

Banned
That hippo vacuum grab is why I haven't bought this yet. It's brutally stupid and unfair. I will eventually play this for sure, but unless they fix that I'm in no rush to pay $60 for it. I dealt with that enough times in the PS3 version.

You barely fight the things.

To avoid the grab attacks of any of the enemies you just have to make sure to dodge at the last second since your iframes are triggered right when you start to roll.

Id actually like to be invaded lol got nothing happening atm and I feel like im too reckless to burn items to turn me human only to die 15mins later being stupid.

Do more convents open up later? all ive got so are the marjula ones.

Rurunaki

When you guys try and roll after attacking, does it seem as if the character pauses a little TOO long before finally rolling? I've gotten hit so many times when I try and roll after hitting an enemy -.-

Yup. I got used to how fluid BB's dodge then attack animation. Good thing is DS2 is training me for those split second dodging which will come handy in making epic videos for BB.

Buburibon

Are you on Steam? I spend most of my time in-game in offline mode, and only switch to online once I'm standing right in front of a fog door looking to provide/summon assistance. Yeah, I don't like the "forced" invasion mechanic at all, and have never invaded anyone in hundreds of hours playing the Souls games.

Ac30

PvP blows when ping is awful, hitboxes suck and my hits (which on my screen clearly hit) don't register. I thought joining the Bell Covenant would be fun for some jolly PvP, lawl. Of course the opponents are so used to it they can exploit ping to their advantage? IDK. Hell you're best off using some heavy-ass weapon 1 handed, stun lock and riposte, instant kill since hitboxes are so messed :(

EDIT: Does someone have a recommendation for a PVP build, I have no idea how these guys do that move that allow a riposte from the front...

Joey Ravn

Banned
But here you can turn off invasions by burning an effigy, at least.

That's more of a patch than a proper solution. Effigies only last for half an hour, and they are limited in quantity if you're not actively farming for them. If you die a lot you'll want to use effigies to get your health back. Besides, burning them requires you to go back to a bonfire every half an hour, which may not be possible if you are exploring a new area.

Nephtes

Holy crap!!!
I just realized why the durability bug isn't affecting me! If you're a member of the Bell Keeper covenant, when you're summoned to kill an invader, if you win you're returned back to your world with your weapons at full durability!!

I was wondering why I wasn't finding durability an issue...I tend to get summoned to kill an invader 2 and 3 times per zone. It refills your Estus and spells too! (if you win)

Rhaknar

I didnt know that you could burn effigies to prevent invasions. it says it prevents cooperation also tho

Im half hating / half loving this first dlc. its hard, and im struggling, and its annoying, and im dying a lot. but its pretty and Im exploring and finding items making every new run a little bit faster because im starting to learn the critical path.

I guess what im saying is its a dark souls zone alright >_>

I do NOT like however how its completely anti magic, and you guys say all 3 zones are like this? Im using my fire sword (actually its a dark sword these days) half the time and they go down fast with melee, and I managed to sumon 1 dude finally, he was RECKING the mobs with 2 greatswords. unfortunately it was a short duration summon :(

edit: oh and at least I dont care about losing souls anymore. im lvl 143 or something, im just putting points into health and endurance now just to use them. just lost 40k souls and didnt even flinch. that and my 2mill soul memory is probably preventing me from getting summons anyway

I have the Future Press Guide for DS2, is there a good guide online that has the Scholar of the First Sin updates reflected in it?
My get all the gear/trinkets OCD is killing me.

Top Bottom