• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

50 VIG but only 20 STR? I judge you sir!

well, i mostly play pvp and coop helping people. 50 vig makes battles more drawn out, i like hitting a bunch of times and getting away and having long epic battles. vs being a glass cannon. i slayed pretty well today in all types of pvp with a big str weapon combined with the craftsmans hammer to finish them off. hell, half the people i fight end up losing the battle themselves by getting flustered and losing their gameplan, or taking a roll off an edge when they get scared of a greatsword slash lol. and honestly, in DS2, it seems to me that str bonus is not worth near as much as weapon upgrade. greatsword +10 3 shots most ppl online if you can connect it. dont see the need for much more. however, is it like DS1 where 27 STR is ideal, due to max 2 hand bonus?

also with those odd stats, would i benefit from infusions, like raw with the great club, greatsword, zwei, or those types of weapons? that i can only hold two handed bc of low offensive stats. never got if infusions were worth it without magic stat investments.

Kazuhira

I must be missing something super obvious... completed DS1 and platinumed BB without a guide...

edit : welp, just found out how to open a way in the "sewers", lets see what happens..

Don´t worry pal,90% of the players miss that fucking lever during their 1st play,it´s almost invisible.

Is Old Iron King supposed to be hard? On the way there it's filled with messages like friend required ahead, I can't take this, impossible. But i just one ahotted him without getting hit a single time. Did I just get lucky or something?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is Old Iron King supposed to be hard? On the way there it's filled with messages like friend required ahead, I can't take this, impossible. But i just one ahotted him without getting hit a single time. Did I just get lucky or something?

It's one of those "Some ppl hate it some ppl think he's piss" bosses. Also very dependant on your spec (one of the game's actual problems imo)

ironcreed

Banned
I love Dragon Aerie so much.

Screenshot-Original.png

I just got a Flame Quartz Ring +1 and when i equip it my Fire DEF stat doesn't increase. Is this a bug in the game, or what am I supposed to be looking at?

Captcha

I just got a Flame Quartz Ring +1 and when i equip it my Fire DEF stat doesn't increase. Is this a bug in the game, or what am I supposed to be looking at?

Go into the equipment menu and press triangle (or whatever button "switch" is for you) until you get the appropriate player status screen. That is the only one that shows accurate numbers for some reason.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So I'm full hex / dark infused. Am I fucked when / if I go to those dark covenant dungeons?

SpokkX

Seeing people say Sunken King is the worst hurts me deeply.

Its level design shits on everything from Dark Souls 1 and the main Dark Souls 2 game and rivals Latria and Yarnham. Amazing in atmosphere and intricacy and uniqueness. Nothing else comes close to it.

Yeah easily the best of the dlc.. The 2nd was ok but the third was uninspired

Zocano

Yeah easily the best of the dlc.. The 2nd was ok but the third was uninspired

I actually thought all three had a lot going for them for different reasons.

The first is definitely the strongest for me but the second has a cool approach to exploring a level. You basically spend a ton of time going through this area that's entirely locked off and inactive until you hit the "mid point" of the DLC and it ramps up the exploration and life of the place. It's really cool.

The third is great atmospherically and I love how the weather conditions affect your exploration and pacing through the area (and I am one of the people that love the optional area). Also the damn Ivory King fight is amazing in concept and execution and location and everything.

As someone who just finished playing all 3 DLCs for the first time, Sunken King was my favorite by a mile. Everything about it was just classic Souls. Gorgeous, evocative area with a brilliant layout and surprises at every turn, tricky but not unfairly difficult, memorable bosses. I also enjoyed Ivory King very much. Iron King, or "The Tower of Terror" as I like to call it, was brutally difficult and something I will never touch again. I hated everything about it.

O.DOGG

It's been about a year now since I played through DS2, maybe it's time to upgrade and do it again. Honestly, I'm itching to go back to this world but the amount of invasions ruined the game for me on NG+. Or maybe I'll wait for a sale...

Victrix

*beard*
As someone who just finished playing all 3 DLCs for the first time, Sunken King was my favorite by a mile. Everything about it was just classic Souls. Gorgeous, evocative area with a brilliant layout and surprises at every turn, tricky but not unfairly difficult, memorable bosses. I also enjoyed Ivory King very much. Iron King, or "The Tower of Terror" as I like to call it, was brutally difficult and something I will never touch again. I hated everything about it.

Iron Passage was pure hell. I get the feeling the three 'side' areas in the DLCs are basically either coop only or meant as challenge zones, because all three suck.

Rhaknar

cool, just need those giant memories to be officially caught up to where my tank was :D

got 2 soul vessels, kinda feel like going full magic and dropping faith (and thus dropping hexes), gues i'd still have 1 vessel in case I want to change back

Victrix

*beard*
I actually really like Eleum Loyce's Optional Area. It's a really cool idea that's mostly done well.

Repeat bosses are lame, and while I did like the general aesthetic of that place far more than the other two, it was still a pretty horrible slog solo

bobawesome

The 2nd DLC has to be my favorite part of the game. It really washed out the awful taste the first left in my mouth. I thought it was fairly decent the first time I played it in July but I loathed it the second time around.

Rhaknar

ugh
Vendrick
has so much fucking health (
I have 4 giant souls
)

I barely hurt him with any spell, I dont think I cba with this

Victrix

*beard*
The 2nd DLC has to be my favorite part of the game. It really washed out the awful taste the first left in my mouth. I thought it was fairly decent the first time I played it in July but I loathed it the second time around.

It's funny how polarizing the dlc areas area. Just about everyone agrees that one (or more) of them are some of the best areas in the game, but also just about everyone seems to totally hate one or more of them.

I just found the tower to be really, really tiring. Too much unceasing loud background noise, too many tough enemies in cramped quarters. Damn cool vistas outside though. And the last boss was great, as fun to fight mechanically as the third dlc boss arena was impressive visually.

Red Hood

Banned
I finished it a few days back and I've really enjoyed my 38 hours with it. I think I prefer the first Dark Souls, but there's no doubt Dark Souls II (in this case, Scholar of the First Sin) is the most polished Souls game yet. The implementation of fast travelling from the get-go for example really did wonder for the pacing. It looks and runs great as well.

+ Great PC port, looks and runs great.
+ Considerably higher pacing than DaS1 (though still not as paced as DeS), primarily due to being able to fast-travel from the get-go.
+ Better and more flexible rolling/dodging system.
+ More humanoïd bosses, though apparently some see this as a bad thing.
+ General gameplay improvements and tweaks compared to DaS1
+ More bonfires, but…

- … the feeling of relief after finding one isn't as great. In DaS1 I found myself extremely reliefed after after struggling and ploughing big time.
- Drangleic somehow doesn't feel as connected as Lordran, from Majula and on wards they basically felt like little branching path ways.
- Doesn't score that high on originality, and I'm thinking it's not that memorable too.

DaS (9) > DaS II (8.7) > DeS (8.5) as far as I'm concerned. And now I'm ready for the Lost Crows DLCs.

Got this last night and don't have a clue what's going on but i'm having fun!

Only got up to fighting the 3 massive knights but that's about it

usp84

Don´t worry pal,90% of the players miss that fucking lever during their 1st play,it´s almost invisible.

can anyone tell me VERY CLEARLY in a NON CRYPTIC WAY where to go after killing the giant and the pursuer ? Ive been running around in circles for two hours now.

trying to find the info on the internet is hell because the statues dont seem to be at the same place as OG game.

I must be missing something super obvious... completed DS1 and platinumed BB without a guide...

edit : welp, just found out how to open a way in the "sewers", lets see what happens..

What door are you talking about?

Red Hood

Banned
can anyone tell me VERY CLEARLY in a NON CRYPTIC WAY where to go after killing the giant and the pursuer ? Ive been running around in circles for two hours now.

trying to find the info on the internet is hell because the statues dont seem to be at the same place as OG game.

After the Pursuer there's a
little nest on one of the higher platforms and after interacting with it, it that takes you to Lost Bastille
. Is that what you meant?

Rhaknar

good lord at the difficulty spike in the dlc o_O

started with the gulch one, these enemies take 3 dark orbs at least to kill, and theres a million of them :/

thinking more and more about switching to normal magic, at least each spell is only 1 slot compared to most of hexes being 2 slots...and even with a +10 chime, one of the best (caithe) the dmg still isnt that impressive :/

Derpot

Playing the game at the moment, just beat the Mirror Knight.
I'm not really fan of some changes they did, like the stupid statues they put in front of some paths for absolutely no reason or the fact they changed Creighton's location in the Shaded Woods, wtf.
But apart from that, playing the game in 60 fps is quite nice and I'm having fun.

lcap

Playing the game at the moment, just beat the Mirror Knight.
I'm not really fan of some changes they did, like the stupid statues they put in front of some paths for absolutely no reason or the fact they changed Creighton's location in the Shaded Woods, wtf.
But apart from that, playing the game in 60 fps is quite nice and I'm having fun.

I just booted the game and saw that statue. How do I get rid of them?

DALBEN

Banned
First of all, sorry about my english, still learning.

I played demons souls and dark souls 1 to death, i tried dks 2 and stoped halfway two times on my 360 ( i dont had the time do play it ) .

I bought dks2 sotfs on my x1 and im loving, my goty easily. Its so good, i lost 10 years of my life yesterday playing Shrine of Amana, but it was so good and such a WTF boss at the end of it, cant wait to play it more, im already thinking on my NG+.

Fuck this new "pursuer", i encontered him 4 times already, please game, just stop hehe, i hate that guy.

I hated black gulch at first, but i ended loving it.

The only problem that i have against this game is:

- Why fast travel since the start ? :(

THIS:

http://xboxclips.com/GC+DALBEN/37e35803-5172-4eb6-a62a-3d227ee27c41
http://xboxclips.com/GC+DALBEN/56ffb140-a27e-4e5b-9ee9-b8f60427c2f4

Its a beautiful game in many ways:
http://xboxclips.com/GC+DALBEN/ed3b6f58-771f-4ade-866b-d5f9c93c1d62

NGNURxg.gif

Red Hood

Banned

I'm not sure if your only problem is the fast travel from the get-go, or the lagging hitboxes. Or both?

I liked the fast travelling. It's not like it can teleport you directly to the end of the game. You still have to do it on your own first and only after lighting a bonfire can you fast travel to it. I don't see why it would be a deal breaker. Also, I didn't have any of your lagging hitboxes, but I primarily played in offline mode, maybe that's the reason it was smooth for me?

J4g3r

Oh, you have to find the keys now? Interesting.

Where are they?

Dragon Talon:
Forgotten Key Door down the well in Majula (Where Great Lightning Spear is)
Heavy Iron Key:
With all the Fire Salamanders in the Forest of the Fallen Giants.

Frozen Flower:
First Bonfire in Drangleic Castle, behind one of the closed doors in that room with all the Ruin Sentinels.

Gbraga

Dragon Talon:
Forgotten Key Door down the well in Majula (Where Great Lightning Spear is)
Heavy Iron Key:
With all the Fire Salamanders in the Forest of the Fallen Giants.

Frozen Flower:
First Bonfire in Drangleic Castle, behind one of the closed doors in that room with all the Ruin Sentinels.

Thanks for the info! That's really awesome.

Top Bottom