• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Hugstable

Banned
Hey I have a few questions about the start part of Aldia's Keep

I just found these 2 scones, one upper and one lower that both have these "DON"T YOU DARE" messages next to them. What happens if I light them? Is it like the Crypt where it just spawns tons of red NPC invaders? I saw a lever with tons of Don't you Dare messages and I'm guessing that one has something to do with the guy on the other side, but I can't figure what those scones are for and whether I should just screw the messages and burn that shit

Captcha

I just found these 2 scones, one upper and one lower that both have these "DON"T YOU DARE" messages next to them. What happens if I light them? Is it like the Crypt where it just spawns tons of red NPC invaders? I saw a lever with tons of Don't you Dare messages and I'm guessing that one has something to do with the guy on the other side, but I can't figure what those scones are for and whether I should just screw the messages and burn that shit

You're right about the lever and I would leave it alone and do that dude's questline as normal.

Definitely light the braziers, though. It is part of a thing that will get you Aldia's Key. Return to the main hallway when you light all 4 up.

I have only been to the gate of that particular area so far and it was like white out conditions, which I find to be an amazing switch from being in pitch black. I could see just enough of the ground to slowly make my way. I can only imagine what awaits me there.

I never played the third DLC before now, but I'm guessing no because the limited visibility thing was definitely there and seemed like a mechanic they were after.

Damn. :/

It's a brilliant mechanic that is incredibly atmospheric but is unfortunately completely overdone. Soloing that area is a goddamn nightmare, and not in the fun "this is Dark Souls" way.

i'ma be streaming the rest of the day if anyone wants to chat souls with me or watch, come hang GAF :D

http://www.twitch.tv/sonicxtreme/

mostly pvp but i'ma run through the n64 woods and open up drangelic in between.

have the abyss levels gotten any harder in the remix version? darklurker freaks me out considering my only offensive stat is 20 str lol, almost my points are in health endurance and adp bc i'm a sadist ha

Sullichin

This game is generous with titanite slabs. After the one you get from Pr
owling Mangus
, there is another one before the next boss
on the right side of the spiked floor outside
. Plus I got a slab and a ton of chunks from the Bell covenant.

I'm using Greataxe now. It's amazing in PVP and PVE. Not sure what STR weapon to max next, I think I've used them all at one point or another. The giant smelter hammer is fun as hell but it's very heavy.
i'ma be streaming the rest of the day if anyone wants to chat souls with me or watch, come hang GAF :D

http://www.twitch.tv/sonicxtreme/

mostly pvp but i'ma run through the n64 woods and open up drangelic in between.

have the abyss levels gotten any harder in the remix version? darklurker freaks me out considering my only offensive stat is 20 str lol, almost my points are in health endurance and adp bc i'm a sadist ha

20STR should be fine, I would have your weapon at +10 though. That's more important.

The sconces will do what you said. You can better sneak through that hallway without them lit if you find a key somewhere.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
lol just rage quit the game :p

"that" room in undead crypt is infuriating when youre trying to get all the items because you are OCD >_>

hey is flash sweat found anywhere in PVE or do you have to buy it from the pyro lady? i can't find SOTFS info for sure if its findable anywhere just old pages

Captcha

Damn. :/

It's a brilliant mechanic that is incredibly atmospheric but is unfortunately completely overdone. Soloing that area is a goddamn nightmare, and not in the fun "this is Dark Souls" way.

You are right, and having that terrible slog in between you and that boss who proceeds to devour your hopes and dreams was some next level shit. The optional areas of all three DLCs are trying.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It becomes 10x easier when you leave and come back. Also, destroying the statues stops the ghosts from spawning.

I know but im a mage and you cant target them :p

I dont even think theres anything for a mage in that pharros lockstone wall but I must get everything! lol

Rhaknar

Just do some suicide runs to destroy the statues, they don't respawn.

ah didnt know they didnt respawn. I got the thing and finished the zone anyway. it WAS actually mage stuff, nothing ill use tho.

btw "illusion ahead therefore try torch" or similar messages in undead crypt are fucking EVIL

You are right, and having that terrible slog in between you and that boss who proceeds to devour your hopes and dreams was some next level shit. The optional areas of all three DLCs are trying.

Ugh yes. At least with Shulva and Iron King you could pretty much sprint past the worst of the gauntlet. Here it's incredibly disorienting, and god forbid you stop to get your bearings.
The only way I could pull it off was to summon the two NPCs and allow them to distract all the horse/deer so that I could run to the boss relatively unmolested...with maybe a 50% success rate.

Oswen

Ended up skipping DS2 last year since I felt that a next gen version would have released after, good thing I was right.

After having finished Bloodborne I am quite enjoying the game, sometimes it does feel very cheap, not like other Souls games didn't have their moments (I'm looking at you, Anor Londo snipers) but still it does feel like sometimes it's a bit overdone.
Anyway I still find it great, I was expecting the worst game ever from what I did read around in these months but luckily it's far from it.

I just killed the Ancient Dragon and I don't really know what to do now.
Should I go for the memories/chasm/ending first and dlc later or should I go for those now? Are they harder than vanilla content? Am I supposed to do them before the ending?

Rhaknar

hmm after
undead crypt
its pretty much
aldias keep -> dragon shrine
if I remember correctly?

Dimmle

Can someone tell me exactly how discomforting I should find Dark Souls 2's consistent motif of
manipulative women
? The DLC seems to continue that refrain, from what I've played.

M.D

I made some good progress today, cleared Earthen Peak and made my way to Iron Keep and unlocked the secret bonfire while skipping the first boss in the area
Got to the part with the 3 three on the balcony and said fuck it done for today ;p

Also made my way to the chariot skeleton boss but didn't kill him and did not go back there

I wonder how much I have left to play and if I've touched any of the DLC areas at all, since the spots for traveling are almost full iirc

Sullichin

Can someone tell me exactly how discomforting I should find Dark Souls 2's consistent motif of
manipulative women

Of all the Souls games/BB, this one has the story I understand the least.

I made some good progress today, cleared Earthen Peak and made my way to Iron Keep and unlocked the secret bonfire while skipping the first boss in the area
Got to the part with the 3 three on the balcony and said fuck it done for today ;p

Also made my way to the chariot skeleton boss but didn't kill him and did not go back there

I wonder how much I have left to play and if I've touched any of the DLC areas at all, since the spots for traveling are almost full iirc
Everything you've mentioned in this post is within the first half of the base game. There's a ton more.

DeaviL

Banned
manipulative women

And how about all those evil male enemies that attack you?

But seriously, manipulative people exist.
Is it so special that it's a women here? Technically it's even a sign of intelligence.

Seriously though?

Dimmle

Of all the Souls games/BB, this one has the story I understand the least.

I don't want to be reductive. There's definitely something going on with the constant repetition of this gender dynamic and I'm not sure it's gross but it's definitely an attention-getter.

And how about all those evil male enemies that attack you?

But seriously, manipulative people exist.
Is it so special that it's a women here? Technically it's even a sign of intelligence.

Seriously though?

There are plenty of "good" women present in Dark Souls 2 as well, and many more women in total than Dark Souls 1 could boast. Themes aren't communicated through tallies. I'm just interested in discussing the gender criticism conversation that the game is clearly intent on spurring by echoing the same story over and over.

You can't talk about Macbeth without looking at Lady Macbeth. It would be absurd.

No need to be defensive; I can really like Dark Souls 2 and have some questions about its themes simultaneously without combusting into flames.

Kazuhira

manipulative women

Isn´t nashandra the only evil queen? I´m pretty sure the other 3 loved their kings,even if they´re fragments of Manus.

Enordash

DS2 really doesn't give a shit about you in comparison to Bloodborne, lol. I joined the Covenant of Champions right away without knowing what that did and went the very wrong way to start out with. I was a little blown away by the (hilariously self-imposed) brutal difficulty.

Rhaknar

calling it for today in
aldias keep
, almost have my mage caught up with my tank :)

manipulative women

You're in a cursed, fallen world. There is no such motif when the parameters of the universe allow for all creatures, human or otherwise, to be evil.

Goodness is rare, yet there are numerous good characters in the game (both male and female).

I think you're looking too far into it.

Fhtagn

manipulative women

It is present in the main game, but is subverted pretty well in the DLC.

Fhtagn

You're in a cursed, fallen world. There is no such motif when the parameters of the universe allow for all creatures, human or otherwise, to be evil.

Goodness is rare, yet there are numerous good characters in the game (both male and female).

I think you're looking too far into it.

No, no one is "looking too far into it." It is perfectly valid to interrogate a piece of media/art/game along these lines. This is actually something Dark Souls 2 handles kind of badly in the main game. Three negative women bosses you fight that are built on ancient stereotypes or tropes, without much clever about it.

However, the DLC does a good job of subverting it.

Bonfireside Chat went in depth on this issue; I pretty much agree with their take on it (which is pretty similar to what I just summarized.)

And those guys are big Dark Souls 2 supporters, fwiw.

No, no one is "looking too far into it." It is perfectly valid to interrogate a piece of media/art/game along these lines. This is actually something Dark Souls 2 handles kind of badly in the main game. Three negative women bosses you fight that are built on ancient stereotypes or tropes, without much clever about it.

However, the DLC does a good job of subverting it.

Bonfireside Chat went in depth on this issue; I pretty much agree with their take on it (which is pretty similar to what I just summarized.)

And those guys are big Dark Souls 2 supporters, fwiw.

I agree it's fair to look into it. Never said it wasn't.

I'm saying that, at a glance, the world these people occupy is fundamentally broken. If someone isn't manipulative/evil, it's rare.

Because that evil is base and common (otherwise known as natural nature), we can't say that the game glorifies or even objectifies those women. It's done, poorly - sure.

Again, it's not a motif. Just a part of what's normal to that world.

Edit - what's being subverted is the overall despair and brokenness of the world. Not an archetypal, historically flawed view of women.

We really have to be careful how we approach character designs and motivations; unless we understand the nature of their world, we cannot establish motifs.

Going to ask one more time as I am off work and about to head home to play! Never played Dark Souls 2 and wanting to do a melee character first, STR/FAITH or STR/DEX build? Someone told me Faith was nerfed bad but I honestly am not sure if they were just overreacting to a small nerf or not.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
manipulative women

I didn't notice this at all playing the game. Would you mind elaborating with some examples?

The only one that immediately comes to mind is the priestess who sells you the area unlock.

Rhaknar

Going to ask one more time as I am off work and about to head home to play! Never played Dark Souls 2 and wanting to do a melee character first, STR/FAITH or STR/DEX build? Someone told me Faith was nerfed bad but I honestly am not sure if they were just overreacting to a small nerf or not.

I was 1 shot by a lightning spell by a player summoned by mirror knight :p

are you going to melee with shield, no shield, dual weild, we need specifics

When you resist the temptation of summon signs because you just know you can do it alone, and then you finally succeed... Never gets old.
People going into bosses with 3 partners are really sucking the challenege out of the game. It's a massacre.

Sullichin

STR/FAI is still good:
- Cleric starts with a very good STR/FAI split
- Healing miracles are still useful and nice to have in the beginning
- Late game lightning spells and weapon buffs (sunlight blade) are very good.
- Free homeward bone with homeward spell
- Hexes are still very good if you want to invest some INT.. in which case consider a Crypt Blacksword build.
- Wrath of Gods if you make it to NG++

Nephtes

When you resist the temptation of summon signs because you just know you can do it alone, and then you finally succeed... Never gets old.
People going into bosses with 3 partners are really sucking the challenege out of the game. It's a massacre.

I did all the bosses in Vanilla DS2 up to Iron Keep alone (or with Lucatile for the achievement) ... I just want to get back to that spot ASAP, so I'm going to keep sucking the challenge out till then...

Fhtagn

I agree it's fair to look into it. Never said it wasn't.

I'm saying that, at a glance, the world these people occupy is fundamentally broken. If someone isn't manipulative/evil, it's rare.

Because that evil is base and common (otherwise known as natural nature), we can't say that the game glorifies or even objectifies those women. It's done, poorly - sure.

Again, it's not a motif. Just a part of what's normal to that world.

Edit - what's being subverted is the overall despair and brokenness of the world. Not an archetypal, historically flawed view of women.

We really have to be careful how we approach character designs and motivations; unless we understand the nature of their world, we cannot establish motifs.

A bit of constructive advice here: I would suggest not using the phrase "you're looking too far into it" if you don't want people to read it as dismissive. The difference in meaning between that and "don't look into it" is minuscule rhetorically, so even if you didn't mean it that way, that is how it comes across and puts people into a combative stance right away. I'm not mad btw, I recognize this is the internet and tone is very hard to divine accurately. Consider this a friendly nudge, as that is how it is intended.

And I agree that the games "crapsack world" ensures that many of the major characters are going to be evil or deeply flawed. This is however not a reason to rely on boring traditional gender roles for how said evil/flaws manifest. And the Mythra/Najka/Nashandra trio is what makes the issue jump out at some players. It's that the game has all three that makes it stick out as a sore thumb and feels like a pattern.

Thankfully they did not make the motivations for all of the
Daughters of Manus
in the DLC so simple/cliche/tropey.

I did all the bosses in Vanilla DS2 up to Iron Keep... I just want to get back to that spot ASAP, so I'm going to keep sucking the challenge out till then...

I mean first time players of course.
I played the hell out of vanilla and in some annoying sections I don't refuse the help to get through faster either.

I was 1 shot by a lightning spell by a player summoned by mirror knight :p

are you going to melee with shield, no shield, dual weild, we need specifics

Will probably carry a shield and switch to two handing weapons based on the situation. Would also like to wear some armor as well, not the heaviest but probably stuff like the knight set. Basically a Paladin style character.

STR/FAI is still good:
- Hexes are still very good if you want to invest some INT.. in which case consider a Crypt Blacksword build.

Thanks! was debating between knight and cleric for starting but I suppose cleric would give me a better head start with stat distribution and I can probably find knight style armor early.

Dimmle

Isn´t nashandra the only evil queen? I´m pretty sure the other 3 loved their kings,even if they´re fragments of Manus.

It is present in the main game, but is subverted pretty well in the DLC.

Ah, I haven't progressed far enough in the DLC to see the subversion. I've only encountered the
queen of Shulva and she seemed pretty sinister but I'm only saying that because she hurled black fireballs at me.

I didn't notice this at all playing the game. Would you mind elaborating with some examples?

The only one that immediately comes to mind is the priestess who sells you the area unlock.

I'm not sure how far you are but
Nashandra is the foremost example and the boss of Earthen Peak and the scorpioness are two other cases.

A "motif" is a repeating concept or idea in a fiction and I think this consistent characterization fits the definition pretty well. I don't necessarily think it's problematic (it's fine to have wicked women in your story) but I'd definitely like to see it add up to something rather than just echo classic mythology. Hearing that it's subverted later on is encouraging.

Neoweee

STR/FAI is still good:

I am doing a Company of Champions (Hard Mode) as Faith build (with 13 Strength). It's not bad. Likely a bit harder than the last CoC run I did as a Hexer, though I think the CoC effects were bumped a bit or something?

- Use Pyromancy in the mix. No reason not to. What? Neither they nor Faith get a lot of charges?
- Oh, but Faith loves Attunement! Many (Most?) spells get a bunch of extra charges, and 49 is a bump for, like, everything. Flame Swathe is ridiculous, but only gets 2 charges by default. Poison Mist, Toxic Mist, get fucking great as Attunement buffs their number of casts. You have enough to lay it on bosses and then just run away.
- Attunement also takes care of much of your Agility!
- Attunement gives cast speed!
- Very good damage scaling for good damage output.
- Don't be afraid to equip multiples of a spell. 2 stacks of Lightning Spear = 18 casts. 2 stacks of Flameswathe is 8.
- Remember, you can powerstance spells to increase their efficiency!
- Upgrade your Chimes!
- Use the binoculars to zoom in and throw them spears! Archers don't got shit on you.
- But, yeah Attunement people. Tripling the Spears, Doubling the Swathes and Mists, is goddamn beautiful when it finally comes together.

It sucked for a while... but when you start tearing through things, it does wonder. Heavenly Thunder on
Old Iron King
, or clearing rooms of small enemies in a single cast? Lightning Spears 1-or-2-shotting Alonne knights?

Remember, Soul Vessels can help you respec from a mixed build early on to a more focused one late game. Early you'll want some ADP for the "cheap" agility, but eventually, your Attunement will cover most of the range. I have 100 agility with only 10 ADP (starting at 6 as Deprived)

I... actually forgot about Homeward. LOL. Just as I run out of Bones. Thanks!

Anyone know if the dlc weapons and gear are needed for the trophy unlocks? I'm kinda tempted to take a second run for the platinum but I really don't like some of the dlc areas.

Also, I still have one issue with this game that drags the quality down pretty far. After Drangleic the quality just seems to fall off a cliff.
Amana, Undead Crypt, and even the first area on the way to the Ancient Dragon all are either cheap or boring, sometimes both. There's practically no direction at this point and it zig zags all over the world leading to those damned memories and then the last stretch can be done.
It's just lacking structure and so jumbled at the end that finding your way requires either a guide, previous knowledge of the process or a whole ton of blind luck.

Reaching the end again is reminding me how my opinion formed the first time around.

Dimmle

Remember, Soul Vessels can help you respec from a mixed build early on to a more focused one late game. Early you'll want some ADP for the "cheap" agility, but eventually, your Attunement will cover most of the range. I have 100 agility with only 10 ADP (starting at 6 as Deprived)

Goddamn, I'm running a Str/Faith pugilist build right now so this is downright invaluable advice. Now all I want to do is get home and re-spec my character away from ADP and toward ATN.

Neoweee

Anyone know if the dlc weapons and gear are needed for the trophy unlocks? I'm kinda tempted to take a second run for the platinum but I really don't like some of the dlc areas.

Also, I still have one issue with this game that drags the quality down pretty far. After Drangleic the quality just seems to fall off a cliff.
Amana, Undead Crypt, and even the first area on the way to the Ancient Dragon all are either cheap or boring, sometimes both. There's practically no direction at this point and it zig zags all over the world leading to those damned memories and then the last stretch can be done.
It's just lacking structure and so jumbled at the end that finding your way requires either a guide, previous knowledge of the process or a whole ton of blind luck.

Reaching the end again is reminding me how my opinion formed the first time around.

Yes, the Trophies are updated to require the DLC spells, etc.

I didn't have an issue with the endgame my first time through. In exploring, I found the gates, so I remembered where they were (Need Ring signs were everywhere, though).

The change to the door opening now is much appreciated.

Goddamn, I'm running a Str/Faith pugilist build right now so this is downright invaluable advice. Now all I want to do is get home and re-spec my character away from ADP and toward ATN.

Careful, it takes a LOT of Attunement. You'be better off with a balance likely, as ADP gives Agility at like 3 (or 4?) times the rate. Attunement is mostly for Cast Speed & Slots, with Agi as a side effect. ADP is Agility as its primary purpose, with Poise as a side effect. Endurance is Stamina primary, with Poise as a side effect.

It takes a while for Faith to come together. But, Pyro functions better earlier, and the build benefits greatly from the Weapon enchantments. Lightning is a HELL of a buff to have on a weapon.

Sullichin

I am doing a Company of Champions (Hard Mode) as Faith build (with 13 Strength). It's not bad. Likely a bit harder than the last CoC run I did as a Hexer, though I think the CoC effects were bumped a bit or something?

- Use Pyromancy in the mix. No reason not to. What? Neither they nor Faith get a lot of charges?
- Oh, but Faith loves Attunement! Many (Most?) spells get a bunch of extra charges, and 49 is a bump for, like, everything. Flame Swathe is ridiculous, but only gets 2 charges by default. Poison Mist, Toxic Mist, get fucking great as Attunement buffs their number of casts. You have enough to lay it on bosses and then just run away.
- Attunement also takes care of much of your Agility!
- Attunement gives cast speed!
- Very good damage scaling for good damage output.
- Don't be afraid to equip multiples of a spell. 2 stacks of Lightning Spear = 18 casts. 2 stacks of Flameswathe is 8.
- Remember, you can powerstance spells to increase their efficiency!
- Upgrade your Chimes!
- Use the binoculars to zoom in and throw them spears! Archers don't got shit on you.
- But, yeah Attunement people. Tripling the Spears, Doubling the Swathes and Mists, is goddamn beautiful when it finally comes together.

It sucked for a while... but when you start tearing through things, it does wonder. Heavenly Thunder on
Old Iron King
, or clearing rooms of small enemies in a single cast? Lightning Spears 1-or-2-shotting Alonne knights?

How could I forget pyromancy? My absolute favorite PVP build in this game was pure pyro, max or near max attunement, tons of VIT and END, nothing else. No weapons. Just dear flame. I had a LOT of fun trolling people on the bridge level in the Brotherhood of Blood arena with Fire Whip and Forbidden Sun.
Will probably carry a shield and switch to two handing weapons based on the situation. Would also like to wear some armor as well, not the heaviest but probably stuff like the knight set. Basically a Paladin style character.

Thanks! was debating between knight and cleric for starting but I suppose cleric would give me a better head start with stat distribution and I can probably find knight style armor early.

Cleric also starts with the Mace which is one of the most useful weapons in the game.

Jobbs

Banned
the pursuer on the ground after going down the ladder in bastille where there used to be one of those regular tall dudes genuinely took me by surprise. fighting him unprepared + the dog and other adds proved to be my downfall.

does anyone know if there were any changes to soul memory? I recall hearing there would be.

Gbraga

Any pages with cool PVP builds for Scholar? I'm not fond of PVE in this game, but there are more people playing it than vanilla, after all, so maybe PVP is cool.

Rhaknar

the pursuer on the ground after going down the ladder in bastille where there used to be one of those regular tall dudes genuinely took me by surprise. fighting him unprepared + the dog and other adds proved to be my downfall.

does anyone know if there were any changes to soul memory? I recall hearing there would be.

no its still shit, I havent seen a summon sign (besides the npc ones) in ages :/

if you light up all the torches in the tutorial (things betwix area) you get a red phantom now, did that happen in vanilla?

Korosenai

Can anyone with a ps4 look and see the percentage of players who have unlocked the achievements for the four primal bonfires? I wish Xbox would had a feature like that, it's neat to see how many people unlocked something.

Top Bottom