• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

JGLS

Hey so I have to get a PS4/XBone/gaming PC to get the alternate enemy placements?

No, this is also available on PS3 and 360.

EDIT: Nevermind, according to the content table in the OP, I can't exactly tell if the new enemy placement is present on 360/PS3. However I see no reason why it shouldn't be on those platforms.

Havel

I have never played those games or any in the series. Although I am a 32 year old seasoned gamer.
Is this a good entry point?

I am on PC.

Aside from a few plot points and references to Dark Souls 1, DS2 is the best place to start for a newcomer to the series. At least in-terms of getting to grips with the mechanics.

Just remember to play Dark Souls 1 afterwards.

I have never played those games or any in the series. Although I am a 32 year old seasoned gamer.

I am on PC.

I strongly suggest you to play Dark Souls Prepare To Die Edition first. It's generally regarded as the better game of the two. And it's the first game of course.

DS2 might give you a false impression of the series.

EDIT: Nevermind, according to the content table in the OP, I can't exactly tell if the new enemy placement is present on 360/PS3.
It isn't. Updates on the PS3/360 version are done - they got the balance patch + the new end boss, everything else is next(current) gen only.

Finalow

thread title sucks. <

well I haven't played the dlcs so I guess I'll buy this version. it'll be my third copy of the worst game in the souls series. welp

While the invisible pig is hilarious, there are better examples of wonky hit detection in BB.
http://a.pomf.se/uabsdl.webm
not even remotely close to be as bad as DkS2 when it came out. I've yet to see something like that in BB, whereas in DkS2 it didn't take long to notice that stuff.
plus I don't really see how "invisible glitched pigs = bad hit detection".

Neoweee

EDIT: Nevermind, according to the content table in the OP, I can't exactly tell if the new enemy placement is present on 360/PS3.

New placement is not in the last-gen versions. It is more & different/varied enemy types, and more elaborate enemy behavior and patrol distances. You can't just load up a new boss enemy on an old system without hurting the framerate (given that it was already sub-30 most of the time).

not even remotely close to be as bad as DkS2 when it came out. I've yet to see something like that in BB, whereas in DkS2 it didn't take long to notice that stuff.
plus I don't really see how "invisible glitched pigs = bad hit detection".

Some people lump horrible clipping/glitches in the same boat as hit-detection. Personally, I think clipping attacks are a much, much bigger issue for the series overall than hit detection.

And those pigs have horrible hit detection in many ways. Trust me, you'll learn when you start fighting them over and over as boss enemies in the Chalice dungeons.

New placement is not in the last-gen versions. It is more & different/varied enemy types, and more elaborate enemy behavior and patrol distances. You can't just load up a new boss enemy on an old system without hurting the framerate (given that it was already sub-30 most of the time).

Urgh, so if you just have a ps3 there's really no reason to buy, except maybe get the DLC a little cheaper?

Neoweee

Urgh, so if you just have a ps3 there's really no reason to buy, except maybe get the DLC a little cheaper?

It isn't out for PS3. There is just the season pass that already exists, or in some regions the GOTY bundle version.

This thread and release is basically the next-gen/updated PC version.

Unit24

I'm really confused about the release dates. The OT says that it's supposed to come out on the 1st, but everywhere else I look says it's either the 2nd or the 7th.

Neoweee

The PS3 version is basically GOTY edition. It is the February patch plus the season pass at a discounted price. There are no changes to the game associated with buying the product.

Adaren

I am on PC.

Aside from a few plot points and references to Dark Souls 1, DS2 is the best place to start for a newcomer to the series. At least in-terms of getting to grips with the mechanics.

Just remember to play Dark Souls 1 afterwards.

I actually think the story flows better if you play 2 -> 1, so I agree with this!

JerkShep

I might double dip but I really need opinions on the revamped encounters, if they've made substantial improvements I'm in

I'm really confused about the release dates. The OT says that it's supposed to come out on the 1st, but everywhere else I look says it's either the 2nd or the 7th.

EU console launch is today
PC Launch is today worldwide

NA PS4 XB1 360 and PS3 release: 7th

The PS3 version is basically GOTY edition. It is the February patch plus the season pass at a discounted price. There are no changes to the game associated with buying the product.

Gotcha. Weird how they're calling it the same thing as the new version. They should've just called it the "Complete Edition".

Xeilyn

I'll get this down the line. DS2 is the worst in the series imo but its still a good game and i never got the DLC, I might try some builds i never got around to on PS3. Will be hard to go back to this after BB though, its so good

owlbeak

Man, graphically and artistically, this looks like shit compared to Bloodborne but I am pumped to play it. I skipped it when it came out last year, waiting on the inevitable PS4 release.

Joey Ravn

Banned
When is it coming to steam ?

I've heard on the Steam forums that the game comes out today at 3 PM PST (April 2, 00:00 for people in mainland Europe), which is 2 and a half hours from right now.

But, honestly: who fucking knows. The way FROM/BAMCO have managed this release is borderline pathetic. The PC version of the game is AWOL. Not even one video of the DX11 build has been made available (as far as I can tell). And they have outwardly refused to give any information about the game unlocking on Steam. People with physical copies still can't register their game on Steam! Not even adding it to their libraries, even if it doesn't work right now: they can't even use their CD keys.

absolutelydisgusting.jpg

ironcreed

Banned
Man, graphically and artistically, this looks like shit compared to Bloodborne but I am pumped to play it. I skipped it when it came out last year, waiting on the inevitable PS4 release.

Don't worry. It has some absolutely gorgeous art direction in plenty of it's many locations.

molnizzle

I never finished DS2 on PC so I'll definitely grab this on PS4 as soon as I'm done with Bloodborne. Like maybe after I platinum it.

I know that once I get used to the 60fps I'll never touch BB again. =P

I'm going with ps4 version because the graphics on the ps3 build bummed me out. I want dat 1080p/60fps.

ironcreed

Banned
Good to hear! :)

Just a taste:

i34T87ZSWeFbF.gif

AndyB1974

Wondering what the UK price is going to be for this on Steam, seeing as you can buy a physical copy from Amazon for £19. The base game and all DLC's are £50 on Steam at the moment. Anyway, only a couple of hours left to find out.

Robot Pants

Why am I more excited for this than playing bloodborne?
I didn't even like this the first time around.
What's going on?

CHC

Would love to see what the PC version looks like. Not sure if this really is coming to Steam tonight or what, but for now I'm busy with other stuff.

Will pick up when I feel like playing again.

Why am I more excited for this than playing bloodborne?
I didn't even like this the first time around.
What's going on?

Hype?

If you didn't like it the first time you'll probably hate it the second time. I feel like it's turning some of its most DS2-y qualities like bad encounter design up to 11.

Still love the game. Yeah, I don't know why either.

Top Bottom