• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

impact

Banned
Well, BB might have issues but it's just as believable that DS2 has those problems in a worst quality, like hitboxes. I've never had issues with them in BB but I can see that it might be an issue. But in DS2, they were an apparent and consistent issue, especially with the tracking on some of the enemy attacks.

Nobody is ignoring the issues with DS1/BB or even Demon Souls, and they all certainly have issues and flaws, but lets not give DS2 more credit then it deserves by way of faulty comparison.

If they fixed those hitbox issues in this remaster it could be one of the best games ever made.

Fingers crossed. I haven't had a single hitbox problem in BB.

BB looks like past gen for me , have an amazing art direction but those textures....

The game uses high resolution assets, even the Digital Foundry tech analysis points this out. You're going to have to substantiate that claim.

bloodborne-overview-regain-system-screen-01-ps4-us-25feb15

genjiZERO

It's really weird to release this so close to Bloodborne. A poor business decision IMO. Keep it until sales have died down.

It's really weird to release this so close to Bloodborne. A poor business decision IMO. Keep it until sales have died down.

I agree, especially considering that Bloodborne seems to be selling pretty well. It should have been at the end of April. That way, they could have used the Bloodborne hype to maximize sales but not necessarily get hurt by them.

I mean, BB is still at the top of Amazon, and while I know that's not the greatest indicator of sales, the game is still clearly selling. And I feel like it'll be the PC/XB1 version that'll probably end up selling at this point.

I agree, especially considering that Bloodborne seems to be selling pretty well. It should have been at the end of April. That way, they could have used the Bloodborne hype to maximize sales but not necessarily get hurt by them.

I mean, BB is still at the top of Amazon, and while I know that's not the greatest indicator of sales, the game is still clearly selling. And I feel like it'll be the PC/XB1 version that'll probably end up selling at this point.

It's still a game that came out over a year ago, even with the great improvements. I'll definitely be buying it, but the entire Xbox market didn't have a new Souls game to play until this game was announced. So all that leaves is the PS4 as being crowded with Souls releases, and the really die hard guys (me) will buy both, while the less eager will just wait.

theofficefan99

Guessing the added NPC plus the tweaked item descriptions are to alleviate all the complaints of the story not making much sense in the original? That's what I've heard, anyways.

It's still a game that came out over a year ago, even with the great improvements. I'll definitely be buying it, but the entire Xbox market didn't have a new Souls game to play until this game was announced. So all that leaves is the PS4 as being crowded with Souls releases, and the really die hard guys (me) will buy both, while the less eager will just wait.

That's what I'm trying to say. It's just too close to Bloodborne's release date. End of April would have been better. Because people on PS4 are still buying/playing BB, they might end up not getting DS2.

Of course, that has no effect on XB1/PC sales but I doubt the end of April would either. I just think Namco isn't maximizing the sales they could be getting.

Come April 7, people are still going to be buying Bloodborne on PS4. That's a potentially lost sale for DS2. End up April? BB sales will probably have tapered off significantly and new fans are looking for a Souls game and lo and behold, DS2.

You honestly can't mean that. Like, I can't possibly take this seriously. Having played Scholar of the First Sin and Bloodborne, saying BB looks last-gen seems like crazy hyperbole. They're night and day. I mean, shit, some if the textures might look bad in BB, but overall, it's leaps and bounds ahead of DS2.
In all fairness on a graphical and technical level, DS 2 is worse than early ps3 games like Uncharted 1.

Anung

Un Rama
My guess is that they are hoping the Xbox/PC crowd will jump in for that Souls taste since BB is exclusive.

Yeah, They are hoping that the BB hype will be infectious enough that people without PS4's will grab this instead. Bit risky but I see why they've done it.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

It's actually a great idea. Bloodborne only exists on PS4, and people who exclusively have other systems have heard all the hype and are likely in the mood for a new Souls game (if they're fans of the series). Lo and behold, a remastered version of Dark Souls 2 releases a month later.

I bet you a large number of non-PS4 owners will be buying this game to fill the Bloodborne itch.

Arttemis

That's what I'm trying to say. It's just too close to Bloodborne's release date. End of April would have been better. Because people on PS4 are still buying/playing BB, they might end up not getting DS2.

Of course, that has no effect on XB1/PC sales but I doubt the end of April would either. I just think Namco isn't maximizing the sales they could be getting.

Come April 7, people are still going to be buying Bloodborne on PS4. That's a potentially lost sale for DS2. End up April? BB sales will probably have tapered off significantly and new fans are looking for a Souls game and lo and behold, DS2.

Queue Dark Souls 1 remaster post April. Confirmed.

ironcreed

Banned
Well, BB might have issues but it's just as believable that DS2 has those problems in a worst quality, like hitboxes. I've never had issues with them in BB but I can see that it might be an issue. But in DS2, they were an apparent and consistent issue, especially with the tracking on some of the enemy attacks.

Nobody is ignoring the issues with DS1/BB or even Demon Souls, and they all certainly have issues and flaws, but lets not give DS2 more credit then it deserves by way of faulty comparison.

I'll give them all credit in about equal measure, beings that I love them all about the same, but in different ways. Hell, I even prefer the gear, bosses and environment variety in DSII the most out of all three Souls games. But on the whole, they are all fantastic pieces of work, with various strengths and flaws that may bother some more than others. Bloodborne included.

Yep, I was going to just play this game since I didn't have a PS4 when BB landed, but then that Amazon bundle hit and I was like fuck it.

I'm sure there's more people like me out there that want to partake in the hype, but don't want to drop $500.

It's actually a great idea. Bloodborne only exists on PS4, and people who exclusively have other systems have heard all the hype and are likely in the mood for a new Souls game (if they're fans of the series). Lo and behold, a remastered version of Dark Souls 2 releases a month later.

I bet you a large number of non-PS4 owners will be buying this game to fill the Bloodborne itch.

I don't know if said XB1 owners (and PC owners to a lesser degree) would not buy the game if the release date was a week or two later. I think its a mistake giving up potential PS4 sales when there doesn't seem to be any reason to believe that XB1/PC owners wouldn't buy the game if it came out something like April 24th.

I'll give them all credit in about equal measure, beings that I love them all about the same, but in different ways. Hell, I even prefer the gear, bosses and environment variety in DSII the most out of all three Souls games. But on the whole, they are all fantastic pieces of work, with various strengths and flaws that may bother some more than others. Bloodborne included.

I think that's great. DS2 should be praised for the things it does great. But it has flaws and we shouldn't be ignoring them in the game because "bu-bu-bu other games do it too." Because no, it's not true.

Listonosh

It's definitely better than Dark Souls 2, but Bloodborne isn't exactly a jaw-dropper, either. If I were to pick a console game which looks decidedly 'next-gen', it wouldn't even be in my top three. Perhaps not even top 5.

Oh yeah, I definitely agree with that statement, but I think saying that it looks last-gen is wrong. I think that now that we've been in the current-gen for some time, it's easy to forget the subtleties that make games look better than their last-gen counterparts. Stuff like lighting, reflections and particle effects go a long way to make games look miles better.

But agreed, BB is certainly now showstopper but certainly a step above last-gen graphics in most cases.

ironcreed

Banned
I think that's great. DS2 should be praised for the things it does great. But it has flaws and we shouldn't be ignoring them in a game of "bu-bu-bu other games do it too." Because no, it's not true.

Speaking of said flaws that are being thrown around, I know the hit detection thing was never a problem to me. Only when maybe getting hit through the environment or something, which has happened to me in every Souls game, including Bloodborne.

Arttemis

Locked at 720p and 30fps, this version of Dark Souls is based on the PC version and includes the Prepare to Die Edition DLC.

Ha! I could totally see another bizarre multi-version simultaneous release. Get the Prepare to Die More edition on PS4/Xbone for $XX, or $10 less on PC, or $20 less on PC if you have PtD and want DX11.

Seanspeed

Banned
See my post for why I think it still doesn't make sense from a perspective of maximizing sales.
Eh. Impact shouldn't be severe. And delaying costs money too, don't forget. If they're delaying all platforms, then that's not an insubstantial amount they're not taking in.

Plus, the development costs for this have probably been pretty minimal. I doubt they need to for this to sell massively well to make a worthwhile profit.

Speaking of said flaws that are being thrown around, I know the hit detection thing was never a problem to me. Only when maybe getting hit through the environment or something, which has happened to me in every Souls game, including Bloodborne.

DS2 has the most pronounced hitbox issues of any of the Souls game. If you google the issue, you will find tons and tons of GIFs dealing with the issue. The game still had the great hitboxes of the previous games when it worked but it wasn't nearly as precise as DS/DkS/BB.

At the same time there are quite a few people who are introduced to the series with Bloodborne and will be curious about DS2.

I don't think it's that weird. It makes sense for the team who made DS2 and after this they can fully focus on their next project. There's really no need to wait for Bloodborne to cool off.

Kama_1082

Banned
Never played DS2 and I'm in love with bloodborne. Can I play and have a build just like BB? I am generally not a fan of using a shield in any game..should I pass or give it a shot?

ArynCrinn

Banned
Eh. Impact shouldn't be severe. And delaying costs money too, don't forget. If they're delaying all platforms, then that's not an insubstantial amount they're not taking in.

Plus, the development costs for this have probably been pretty minimal. I doubt they need to for this to sell massively well to make a worthwhile profit.

^This, it's just like the OG DS2, no real reason for it to exist other than milking badly executed or poorly thought out and tested mechanics further into the ground.

...at least I'll be able to do another Steam review with like a Mill dislikes. ;p

Never played DS2 and I'm in love with bloodborne. Can I play and have a build just like BB? I am generally not a fan of using a shield in any game..should I pass or give it a shot?

Shieldless builds in Dark Souls games require a bit more skill and experience as the game was built around defensive play style using shields. You can certainly try it, but getting hit isn't as forgiving as it is in Bloodborne, you could easily be taken down in 1 swipe by a boss.

ironcreed

Banned
DS2 has the most pronounced hitbox issues of any of the Souls game. If you google the issue, you will find tons and tons of GIFs dealing with the issue. The game still had the great hitboxes of the previous games when it worked but it wasn't nearly as precise as DS/DkS/BB.

So I have heard and seen in various gifs. I am just saying that it always felt great to me and I never had any problems playing it. And it is just as likely that many will never see shit like this in Blodborne, while still many will:

u42Bqix.gif

I'm not a good player and I had no trouble in DS2 as double melee (double scimitar dex for most of the game, then double bandit axe str/faith at endish).

The only bosses that gave me trouble were ones where shields wouldn't have mattered (Dark Lurker, ancient dragon.)

That was definitely a sore spot in the graphics, but I think that little area looked pretty nice otherwise:

If you ignore the trees maybe, and even though most backgrounds are 2d I know, but that one especially just looks like a pasted on wallpaper to me, stuck out really badly for me. IMO was the worst looking spot in the game.

But it was a pretty minor area and I forgot about it 1 min later once I took the elevator:

creyas

Eager to complete my quadruple dip with the PS4 version to start the download before going to bed, but the online store doesn't deem me eligible to purchase it and no purchase button on the console store. Price also keeps disappearing and reappearing on the web store main page just for this game. Come ooon

So I have heard and seen in various gifs. I am just saying that it always felt great to me and I never had any problems playing it. And it is just as likely that many will never see shit like this in Blodborne, while still many will:

u42Bqix.gif

Glitchy behavior and I'm sure people will encounter it but that doesn't seem to be showing any hitbox problems (watching on mobile).

Edit: Great shots Sean. That area was probably the highlight of the game for me, graphically.

ironcreed

Banned
Glitchy behavior sure and I'm sure people will encounter it but that doesn't seem to be showing any hitbox problems (watching on mobile).

No, but he should never have been hit there to begin with. Which is pretty much the same problem as a dodgy hit box. Personally, I have been swivel-hit and pounded through the environment like that in every Souls game and Bloodborne. But never had a problem with the hit box in general in any of them. That is just my experience.

Nintenyearold

Neo Member
I'm liking BB a lot and I'm interested in picking this up for PS4 sometime.

I know that DaS 1 is considered the better game, and I will probably hook up my PS3 and give that a shot someday too, but are there any story or lore reasons to play DaS 1 before 2?

wickfut

Banned
just added the JP version to my cart...

IBsZ3i.jpg

It says I already own the Scholar of the first sin DLC so I'm unable to repurchase it?

Glitchy behavior and I'm sure people will encounter it but that doesn't seem to be showing any hitbox problems (watching on mobile).

Edit: Great shots Sean. That area was probably the highlight of the game for me, graphically.

Well, it may not be showing hitbox problems between the character and the enemy, but it very obviously shows a different kind of hitbox problem - namely that enemies can clip through walls. So yes, it's still a hitbox problem. That said, I still think there's no comparison to the stuff going on in DS2. Warping around is just gross, there's no excuse for that.

And to be fair, it's probably not so much of a hitbox problem as it is an animation problem. the hitbox might very well be correct, the animation system just doesn't smoothly transition you from the moment the hit boxes connect to the moment the damage is committed. Instead, when it's ready to commit the damage, it just warps you to a precomputed character pose.

Zocano

I did Father Gascoigne blood lvl 10 and it wasn't a bullshit boss, however if I found out you could beat him by shooting him three times then yes, I would consider it a bullshit boss that is clearly unbalanced. Which is kind of what happende with Darklurker and my caster.
__

I don't know, maybe you hid it in your elitist personality gif box?

Like I said above to the other guy. I'm sure you're super hardcore souls-vet and I should just "git gud" but your argument fails when I can destroy your "tuff" boss in a few shots with my caster making this fight a clear oversight in balancing by the devs.

A boss being weak to a certain playstyle isn't unexpected and has been consistent through the whole series. So say a boss is "poorly designed" because of that is sort of silly. Destroying Darklurker with magic is fine, I don't understand your argument that it's unbalanced because of that. Sure you don't get the crazy burly brawl that you do with a melee build, but that's the difference between a melee and ranged character? There have always been bosses that favor one or the other.

That's fine if you attack my attitude
everyone should just git gud at Darklurker anyway
, but as a melee fight, Darklurker is one of the best fights in the series alongside Flamelurker, Allant, Artorias, and a few from Bloodborne. It's very well designed for being a magic casting boss and quite fun once you have it down.

Destroying him with magic doesn't make it any less fun as a melee boss (you can destroy flamelurker with magic just as easily, wheras Allant would laugh in your face).

You honestly can't mean that. Like, I can't possibly take this seriously. Having played Scholar of the First Sin and Bloodborne, saying BB looks last-gen seems like crazy hyperbole. They're night and day. I mean, shit, some if the textures might look bad in BB, but overall, it's leaps and bounds ahead of DS2.

Its not that hard to past trought DS2 graphics anyway, I just find some parts of the game really unbearable to see for me.

DS2 have more diversity classes compared to BB only Hunter class.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Dark Souls 2's visual sin is not that it looks horrible, but just wildly inconsistent. Some zones look fantastic to me, and a few are equal in mood and art direction to anything in the Souls series or Bloodborne, taking next-gen assets into account in the case of BB.

ironcreed

Banned
Dark Souls 2's visual sin is not that it looks horrible, but just wildly inconsistent. Some zones look fantastic to me, and a few are equal in mood and art direction to anything in the Souls series or Bloodborne, taking next-gen assets into account in the case of BB.

I actually appreciate the variety. Everything kept feeling fresh.

Top Bottom