• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

ironcreed

Banned
Hype?

If you didn't like it the first time you'll probably hate it the second time. I feel like it's turning some of its most DS2-y qualities like bad encounter design up to 11.

Still love the game. Yeah, I don't know why either.

Bad encounter design? I could say the same about an area or two in Bloodborne, but it never ruined the quality on the whole for me.

Cassius

I know the OT says this is coming out today, but other web pages like the DS wiki are saying this is going to be released on the 7th of next week in NA.

I know the OT says this is coming out today, but other web pages like the DS wiki are saying this is going to be released on the 7th of next week in NA.
The PC version does come out today at 3 PM.

http://bandainamcous.tumblr.com/post/114719000226/are-you-ready-to-experience-a-whole-new-dark-souls
I didn't see if this was answered, but is there a discount offered to PC if you already own the original?
It's right in the OP under "WTF"
If you own the DX9 version on PC already, you get an "upgrade" price. Upgrade prices for PC DX11 version are $30 if you don't own DLCs, $20 if you own DLCs. Non-upgrade is $50.

Bad encounter design? I could say the same about an area or two in Bloodborne, but it never ruined the quality on the whole for me.

All the remixed encounters I've seen have just been additional hordes as opposed to intelligent placement. I open and hoping to be proven wrong.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just a taste:

i34T87ZSWeFbF.gif

Never forget:

dark-souls-2-shaded-woods-dukes-dear-freja.jpg

Still one of my favourite areas in the game as it evoked the more horror-like aspects of DeS. Genuinely terrifying, especially on PC.

Not the prettiest place, but one of the coolest mechanics and 'WTF-moments' the game has.

I hated it, absolutely hated it. Not due to the actual place but because it was utterly incompatible with the mods I used.

It was a choice between the game looking meh vs not being able to see while the game looks good.

I chose the latter. The area was practically white but I had the path memorized!

So how is the story of 1 and 2 connected and also is 2 before or after 1?

Is heavily connected to Dark Souls 1, in a wrong way, it takes the ideas from Dark Sousl 2 and goes to a completely new direction omiting key lores of the first game.

Dark Souls 2 is 1000 years or more after Dark Souls 1 and 5 cicles already passed so you are in the 6 cicle.

Man, graphically and artistically, this looks like shit compared to Bloodborne but I am pumped to play it. I skipped it when it came out last year, waiting on the inevitable PS4 release.

BB looks like past gen for me , have an amazing art direction but those textures....

Why am I more excited for this than playing bloodborne?
I didn't even like this the first time around.
What's going on?

Hype, you can wait for a cheap price or embrace yourself to the dark

Schryver

I'm excited to try this (and Demon's Souls) because 22 hours in Bloodborne's bosses have been way too easy for my liking.

Finalow

Some people lump horrible clipping/glitches in the same boat as hit-detection. Personally, I think clipping attacks are a much, much bigger issue for the series overall than hit detection.

And those pigs have horrible hit detection in many ways. Trust me, you'll learn when you start fighting them over and over as boss enemies in the Chalice dungeons.
clipping has always been there since demon's but it never bothered me too much, it's jarring however when you realize that sometimes there is no clipping in that spot and you hit a wall with your weapon, which nullifies your attack.

I fought those pigs a lot and actually they only have one attack where you could think of "horrible hit detection". when they charge you.
I'm positive that they follow your movements with that attack, so it might also be that your timing needs to be great and not that their hit detection is garbage. I'm not too sure though.

Guevara

I thought I would wait on this, still got a lot of bloodborne to play. But since BB's online is broken anyway, I might try and get in on DSII co-op while it's hot.

molnizzle

Do we know if this version is fixing the 60fps double durability issue on PC? Or PS4/XBO for that matter.

I thought I would wait on this, still got a lot of bloodborne to play. But since BB's online is broken anyway, I might try and get in on DSII co-op while it's hot.

Ah shit, I hadn't thought of that. 6 players now too.

Well damn. Might be time to load up the UK account on my PS4. =P

molnizzle

I'm out then. Absolutely unacceptable for them to charge $60 for this "update" and still not fix such a ridiculous bug that's been there since release. Especially now that the game will be 60fps on console now too.

From Software's programmers are fucking god awful. How do they still have jobs?

you would think if they were really struggling with how to do it they would just raise the durability ratings and call it a day.

Exactly. Just double them, problem solved.

WTF.

lol yep, not sure in this thread, but in the day leading up to this OT some people were doing so in the announcement thread.

I guess the fact that it's still in the game after all the changes they made gives credence to the idea that it's a feature.

Has anyone actually tried to argue that?

"DS2 is the first game in the series where durability actually matters."

"They repair automatically at bonfires anyway so this is From's way of balancing it out."

"If people just stopped hitting corpses this wouldn't be a problem."

"People are just mad because they want to use their favorite weapon through the whole game. If they utilized all three of their weapon slots they wouldn't be having this problem."

Why is this gif so fluid

PC version 60 fps

Has anyone actually tried to argue that?

I had seen some people already accepted the bug because 60fps is worth it.

I'm out then. Absolutely unacceptable for them to charge $60 for this "update" and still not fix such a ridiculous bug that's been there since release. Especially now that the game will be 60fps on console now too.

From Software's programmers are fucking god awful. How do they still have jobs?

If you never played the DLC is really worth it it also contain exclusive features (you dont really want to know), didnt know the price is 60$ anyway considering you can play BB.

ironcreed

Banned
All the remixed encounters I've seen have just been additional hordes as opposed to intelligent placement. I open and hoping to be proven wrong.

They apparently have reworked enemy AI across the board as well, so there is also that. But I never had a problem with the encounter design in the first place, so I am good.

Listonosh

BB looks like past gen for me , have an amazing art direction but those textures....

You honestly can't mean that. Like, I can't possibly take this seriously. Having played Scholar of the First Sin and Bloodborne, saying BB looks last-gen seems like crazy hyperbole. They're night and day. I mean, shit, some if the textures might look bad in BB, but overall, it's leaps and bounds ahead of DS2.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Happily platinumed Demon's, Dark 1, and Dark 2. Bloodborne's is probably just a night or three away.

If this new version on PS4 comes with a separated trophy list, I will happily plat it again. Still has the best mechanics, loot, and combat options of all the Souls games, in my opinion. Not so much level and world design, but I guess you can't have it all.

I actually hope I can wrap up BB relatively quickly, as I'm more than ready to move on, and it has no replay value whatsoever for me. Quite happy we can cheese our way to all three endings without having to run through the game three times. -_-

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't think it's that ugly, really, and it has the benefit of running at 60 frames. Bloodborne has a pretty bad framerate.
Other than early into Old Yharnam (due to the smoke of the fires, I think), I found the framerate to be perfectly fine... not 60fps smooth but never dipping in the same ways as the console versions of Souls games.

That said, I was summoned by my friend once, and the framerate dropped quite a bit. Maybe playing solo helps.

Exact same gifs posted every fucking time. Usually accompanied by B-Team drivel. I'm now 99% certain people wouldn't be this crazy if Miyazaki was listed as producer
I think you're right. Plenty of things people complained about in DkS2 and sneered at the "B-team" for, are back in Bloodborne, and I don't hear a peep.

Bosses in Souls are easier by several degrees, IMO.
Bloodborne feels like every boss is a giant Flamelurker or Manus.
Ridiculous. Okay, I haven't finished BB yet, but so far only 3 bosses have killed me (
Father Gascoigne, Vicar Amelia (once only, I was just really sloppy and got greedy for the last hit, slaughtered her on my second attempt), and the One Reborn (haven't retried him yet so I dunno if he's legit hard or if I'll just pwn him the second attempt like for Amelia)
. They're not remotely in the same category as Manus, come on.
How'd you beat the twin tigers in Ivory King solo? Always looking for more strategies.
See, those are harder than just about anything in all 4 games (so far).
Here's a good solo melee strategy though, to answer your question:
1) Strength build using red iron twinblade and a greatshield
2) Rings: 3rd Dragon, Chloranthy+1 (NG), Blades+1, Bird (to tank better), + whatever you like
3) Pop a brightbug
4) Buff your weapon (I used charcoal pine resin 'cause 0 att slots, but if you can cast a spell buff that might be better)
5) Spam on the first tiger, he should go down before the second one comes down or be close to death
6) Then you can take the second in 1-on-1 which is far more manageable

In terms of difficulty how would everyone rate the series from hardest to easiest now that Bloodborne has been out for a little bit?
I haven't beaten BB yet but so far it's... both harder and easier? The normal mobs are more dangerous I think. I lost more bloodstains in BB than I did in all past Souls games (of course, Dark Souls 1 and 2 had mechanics to prevent bloodstain loss, with the Rings of Sacrifice and Rings of Life Protection but even so, I didn't break them that often) and it was almost always due to normal enemies. Bosses are generally far easier, so far.

For the Souls games, some areas and bosses are really hard and others are really easy. It's always been a bit inconsistent. I think that overall Dark Souls II is the hardest, because of the DLCs.

Bed of Chaos is indeed shit, but I urge people to learn Tokhi Bombs, it makes it a lot more bearable. Enjoyable, even.
Just googled that and... holy shit. Mindblown. Love how these games manage to blow my mind years after the fact. <3

You honestly can't mean that. Like, I can't possibly take this seriously. Having played Scholar of the First Sin and Bloodborne, saying BB looks last-gen seems like crazy hyperbole. They're night and day. I mean, shit, some if the textures might look bad in BB, but overall, it's leaps and bounds ahead of DS2.

well I doubt he is saying DS2 is the measuring stick for last gen and that is all he is comparing Bloodborne with. Bloodborne looks way better than the souls games for sure.

mzupeman

Banned

It's definitely better than Dark Souls 2, but Bloodborne isn't exactly a jaw-dropper, either. If I were to pick a console game which looks decidedly 'next-gen', it wouldn't even be in my top three. Perhaps not even top 5.

It doesn't look "last gen" or worse than DS2, but the framerate and awful aliasing in BB really kills the visual appeal for me at times. It makes me really excited for the next multiplatform game.

And yeah, I'm one of those crazy people that really dislikes playing anything in 30fps. I'll do it and enjoy a game, but it makes me :(.

It's also not much better graphically than a lot of PC releases in the past few years.

Kalnos

Banned
Other than early into Old Yharnam (due to the smoke of the fires, I think), I found the framerate to be perfectly fine... not 60fps smooth but never dipping in the same ways as the console versions of Souls games.

BB spoilers
My game gets really bad in Unseen Village and completely shits itself (5 sec freeze) upon entering The One Reborn's fog door if he's already spawned (aka you die once). It's not unplayable, but it can get pretty bad.

Well, BB might have issues but it's just as believable that DS2 has those problems in a worst quality, like hitboxes. I've never had issues with them in BB but I can see that it might be an issue. But in DS2, they were an apparent and consistent issue, especially with the tracking on some of the enemy attacks.

Nobody is ignoring the issues with DS1/BB or even Demon Souls, and they all certainly have issues and flaws, but lets not give DS2 more credit then it deserves by way of faulty comparison.

Top Bottom