• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Cerity

So apparantly I just finished the game, so much wat.
Throne watcher & guardian was easy, found out I needed the giant lord soul, took a bit to get that due to the one hits he was giving me. Went to fight Nashandra, which was interesting and took a couple tries but still didn't feel like end game stuff. Went through the light and... that's it? Still felt like there was going to be so much more to it.

I wanted to go through the DLC but I'm not sure if I'm willing to go through another NG(+) just for it. Got really tired of the gank squads, precarious positioning and the bosses not even comparing to the areas before them.

Throne watcher & guardian was easy, found out I needed the giant lord soul, took a bit to get that due to the one hits he was giving me. Went to fight Nashandra, which was interesting and took a couple tries but still didn't feel like end game stuff. Went through the light and... that's it? Still felt like there was going to be so much more to it.

I wanted to go through the DLC but I'm not sure if I'm willing to go through another NG(+) just for it. Got really tired of the gank squads, precarious positioning and the bosses not even comparing to the areas before them.
You can still do the DLC. You only go to NG+ once you actively choose to do so at the Majula bonfire. The DLC has some of the best maps in the game (enemies are a different matter, and bosses range from garbage to the best in the game). Also it sounds like you didn't fulfil the requirements to meet the final boss (after Nashandra).

la_briola

You did not fight the last boss yet.
You need to kill Vendrick first.

edit: see above.

Also: join the covenant Pilgrims of Dark and kill
Darklurker

Aces&Eights

im just standing there afk until someone comes in my game

Hey, man, don't even sweat it. If you asked for a fight, then sure, be respectful and whatnot but to get invaded in your own game, while you are dealing with all the games enemies is full on do what you can to win. My new thing is to bow real fast and as they return the bow to hit them in the face with my +6 axe and follow up with my +5 mace. You invaded me without invitation? I'm gonna get all sorts of dirty on your mage ass.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, man, don't even sweat it. If you asked for a fight, then sure, be respectful and whatnot but to get invaded in your own game, while you are dealing with all the games enemies is full on do what you can to win. My new thing is to bow real fast and as they return the bow to hit them in the face with my +6 axe and follow up with my +5 mace. You invaded me without invitation? I'm gonna get all sorts of dirty on your mage ass.

Lol I don't know how I feel about that.

Trakan

The DLC is better than any of the base game. You don't need to go through NG+ to play it.

Dammit, I fucked up with my cloud saves and I lost my progression of two bosses :(

I' in U
ndead
C
rypt
and can't beat V
estaldt
. SL 111 SMemory : 940 000.

I get him to, like, 20% health but he wrecks me in the end. I could beat him with a summon the last time, but no one shows up but that NPG that is useless in the second part of the fight...

Any GAFer able to help ? There's no summon sign before its fog door.

EDIT :

Anyone ? Please :'(

hawk2025

lol

This is a total dick move, but I love it so much. Play as you wish, I say. Part of something like etiquette and "honor" being part of a meta-game is exactly that: Not everyone has to be a part of your meta-game, and they might even make use of it. I wouldn't do it, but I do not judge you for it!

Nephtes

Important Question:

What do we rename the thread when the durability patch happens?

I submit the following suggestion:

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Bearer-Seek-Seek-Lest Level Me Up Already!

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Dammit, I fucked up with my cloud saves and I lost my progression of two bosses :(

I' in U
ndead
C
rypt
and can't beat V
estaldt
. SL 111 SMemory : 940 000.

I get him to, like, 20% health but he wrecks me in the end. I could beat him with a summon the last time, but no one shows up but that NPG that is useless in the second part of the fight...

Any GAFer able to help ? There's no summon sign before its fog door.

EDIT :

Anyone ? Please :'(

If nothing else, there are 2 NPC summons you can use for that fight.
Scarlett is in the room near the beginning with the 2 Leydia witches that spam Affinity at you, and Agdayne is in the room leading to the boss near one of the pillars on the left-hand side.
Not sure which one of the two you already found, but you could try with both of them in tow if you're having trouble. Of the two, Scarlett is more useful.

Love it. The only time I'll be civil and have a one v one without healing is if they wait until the area is cleared but if you invade me, say in the middle of black gulch then all bets are off.

If nothing else, there are 2 NPC summons you can use for that fight.
Scarlett is in the room near the beginning with the 2 Leydia witches that spam Affinity at you, and Agdayne is in the room leading to the boss near one of the pillars on the left-hand side.
Not sure which one of the two you already found, but you could try with both of them in tow if you're having trouble. Of the two, Scarlett is more useful.

Scarlett vanished out before the boss gate :/ Any tip to get him to the boss quickly ?

ixix

Scarlett vanished out before the boss gate :/ Any tip to get him to the boss quickly ?

Did she get killed? Scarlett's a phantom, not a shade, so she shouldn't be timing out. I went through the entire Crypt with her in tow and she never disappeared.

If you want to ensure she makes it to the boss you could clear out the entire path from her summoning sign to the fog door before tagging the sign. Then just lead her straight to the fog, no worries about anything untoward befalling her en route.

Did she get killed? Scarlett's a phantom, not a shade, so she shouldn't be timing out. I went through the entire Crypt with her in tow and she never disappeared.

If you want to ensure she makes it to the boss you could clear out the entire path from her summoning sign to the fog door before tagging the sign. Then just lead her straight to the fog, no worries about anything untoward befalling her en route.

Thank you very much, it worked !!

ixix

Thank you very much, it worked !!

Glad to hear it.

You can use the same trick to get Sellsword Luet's shade to help you with the
Looking Glass Knight
even though you're probably not supposed to be able to. His shade in that area times out after helping you kill two enemies, but if you kill everything between his sign and the boss you can bring him all the way to the fog. Makes it possible to go into that fight with three NPC allies, which turns it into an AI battle royale. Not particularly useful, but amusing.

Damn Ancient Dragon was so easy, took me 2 tries, that would have been one if I didn't fuck it up with a stupid mistake.

Finally completed all the content (frigid outskirts included, thanks to some awesome jolly co-op, I would have never ever been able to beat that boss). Now to the NG+ game.

Derpot

I know I'm not the only one who whines about this but the durability is awful. At the beginning of the No-man's Wharf, my sword was almost broken in 30 seconds, wtf.
Thank God I have Santier's Spear.

Went back to play dark souls 1 on the 360 today and just couldn't do it, just a mixture of being really used to the ds4, and fairly iffy framerate.

I'm not sure if its too likely, but i'd love a demon's souls and dark souls ps4 port, i know with sony publishing one and namco the other its likely never going to happen.

EDIT: and i do not have a gaming PC, and no plans to buy one for sometime.

Heysoos

Can someone help me with
Sinh
? Also, I can't even get him to half health without my Zwein pretty much completely breaking... :|

Xbox One Soul Memory of 2.8m

edit:
oh fuck you game

beat him, but right when I beat him I died and now he's still alive
edit2:

third time's the charm. Fuck this guy though. I spent more than half the actual fight fucking following him around because all he does is
fly up as soon as I would get near him again
. So stupid.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Went back to play dark souls 1 on the 360 today and just couldn't do it, just a mixture of being really used to the ds4, and fairly iffy framerate.

I'm not sure if its too likely, but i'd love a demon's souls and dark souls ps4 port, i know with sony publishing one and namco the other its likely never going to happen.

Demon's Souls HD with 60 fps would be amazing. Really hope they end up doing it given Bloodborne's popularity.

ike_

Just got to Undead Refuge. How far am I in the game?

And also, wow. The messages left by people in this game are so terrible and troll-heavy that I have to wonder what the fuck attracted so many jackasses to this game. Nothing but helpful messages in Dark Souls and especially Bloodborne, but here half the messages in this are lies about secrets, or jokes about female anatomy. It's just really pathetic.

I know right, who are these juvenile cretins with their toilet humor?

PiQqP8S.jpg

4kMz2XI.jpg

hm i just got the ashen mist, IIRC this is pretty much endgame after i beat the memories, now i have to remember all those optional bosses/areas i passed up and...dredge through the dlc again (it's cool but man it's hard and i agaped this guy at lv 110 100% melee lol so i obviously put off that one boss). idk if i'm gonna bother ng+ing or not or just stick where i am for easy pvp...i'm at the point where id need to add quite a few levels to feel anything significant and adding them might put me in 'dark magic hell' as far as pvp is concerned (i just want to fuckin sword fight not min max kill people in 2 hits lol), idk, or i could just say screw it all and go for the cheevos on this char..

speaking of which idk htf to raid dragon airie now with all those corrosive guys and being full melee...time to try it, i was suprised you could just completely skip everything there in this version

Korosenai

I'm at 9 million soul memory now and I can't find a single game in the Bell Tower anymore.... Makes me sad. That was my favorite part about the game. Spent the last two days just playing pvp in it.

UberLevi

Is it just through a sheer stroke of luck that I killed 4 Alonne Knights in a row at Iron Keep and each one dropped a different piece of the set? I don't use the set, but it was cool to see all four pieces drop back to back.

And on a different note, I've decided I want to play with a straight sword instead of a greatsword so I'm working up to earning a Sun Sword from the sunbro covenant. Any tips for quick places to collect those sweet, sweet sunlight medals?

Not sure where to go from here, cant decide if I should carry on with the area that has the 4 armed sword club dude in the water or one that is past the rat king.

My armours pretty meh as well, the headless dues helm and the draconain(?) chest/arms/legs.

Even my weapons are dull now, +3 broad sword and flacion, +2 blacksmith hammer and a greatsword I put on then realise it does less DPS than the hammer so it goes back away again.

Apologies for the awful spelling and lack of place names, I swear I can only remember Majula lol

Audioboxer

So im dual wielding 2 katanas atm.
Ucigatana and blacksteel.
I like it but im wondering if a rapier would pair well with a katana instead.
I ask because im nearing the espada and im considering throwing that in.
Or would 2 rapiers outright outdamage a blend of the 2?

Really?
Ive been told 2 rapiers can be PvE breaking.
In that case rapier+pyro off hand?
Im grown fond of poison misting shielding enemies.

Katana in left, rapier in right is good. I was using a BS katana and ricards. Switched to two BS though, they wreck with 50 dex. The L2 cleave move, whilst short range, does a ton of damage.

Cerity

You can still do the DLC. You only go to NG+ once you actively choose to do so at the Majula bonfire. The DLC has some of the best maps in the game (enemies are a different matter, and bosses range from garbage to the best in the game). Also it sounds like you didn't fulfil the requirements to meet the final boss (after Nashandra).

You did not fight the last boss yet.
You need to kill Vendrick first.

edit: see above.

Also: join the covenant Pilgrims of Dark and kill
Darklurker

The DLC is better than any of the base game. You don't need to go through NG+ to play it.

I walked off when the credits rolled, came back and found myself back in Majula so assumed the game just threw me in NG+. Just went and killed
Vendrick
, still not sure if I can be bothered getting all the stuff sorted to grab the true ending or starting the DLC. Spent so long waiting for the magic to grab me like it did in the first game and Demons Souls but it just never happened.

I'm at 9 million soul memory now and I can't find a single game in the Bell Tower anymore.... Makes me sad. That was my favorite part about the game. Spent the last two days just playing pvp in it.

just reset you can get there in like an hour now that u know what ur doing

grab the agape ring asap tho and just freeze your sm

Just got to Undead Refuge. How far am I in the game?

And also, wow. The messages left by people in this game are so terrible and troll-heavy that I have to wonder what the fuck attracted so many jackasses to this game. Nothing but helpful messages in Dark Souls and especially Bloodborne, but here half the messages in this are lies about secrets, or jokes about female anatomy. It's just really pathetic.

Uh huh. Guessing you never saw the myriad of "sticky white stuff" jokes in Demon's or the numerous ass jokes about the female statues in Cainhurst for Bloodborne then.

Dark Souls 2 is hardly alone in that.

CaLe

So I'm finishing up Bloodborne and I'm absolutely loving it. How close is Dark Souls 2 gameplay-wise ? I'm guessing it should be a safe purchase since I'm enjoying Bloodborne ?

Also, graphically, how do they both compare ?

Thanks

So I'm finishing up Bloodborne and I'm absolutely loving it. How close is Dark Souls 2 gameplay-wise ? I'm guessing it should be a safe purchase since I'm enjoying Bloodborne ?

Thanks

bloodborne looks considerably better, dark souls 2 is a slower paced game with much more options as far as items, weapons, attack types and the like go. it also has playable PVP and coop unlike the extremely poor online component of BB (a game i love but online functionality is awful balance and design wise)

Kama_1082

Banned

Thanks
I thought I was gonna hate ds2 because it was slower than BB but man, I was wrong. I actually like the combat in souls 2 much better than BB

elohel

for those of you that have blown through the game lol how different is the new enemy layout and how are the balance changes overall?

for those of you that have blown through the game lol how different is the new enemy layout and how are the balance changes overall?

i feel like the game is significantly harder due to aggression ranges and mob placement (although some places have gotten easier overall i'd say harder, especially the beginning, considering the beginning is probably the hardest part of the game).

balance wise this is now the most balanced souls game in existence honestly

Dresden

A bunch of the really painful gank spots got toned down. Feels easier for the most part. There's a spot or two where the increased aggro ranges get super painful, but other than that, you'll breeze through it.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I so love this game. I never got far into the OG one, never bought DLCs, not sure why, but im so into it with scholar of the first sin (PC dx11), i found a really good build for my playstyle, the grand lance apparently its found earlier now than before), is a game changer for me.

Skatterd

The new layout is much better imo.
Easier areas are a little harder and harder areas are a little easier. Overall it feels much more balanced and enjoyable.

The challenge routes in the dlc are still unfortunately unbalanced piles of shit.

Novocaine

It's not crazy different but there are definitely some sections that you will notice change such as Heide's Tower of Flame. Most of the placement changes make better narrative sense.

CHC

The challenge routes in the dlc are still unfortunately unbalanced piles of shit.

That's too bad. I consider myself a Souls completionist but to this day still have not beaten the dual tigers after the snow-hell in Ivory King. It was just such a lazy and brute force area. And then to get through it all just to find two bosses that are a straight copy-paste of the SAME level's boss.... sorry I just can't stomach that shit.

klee123

Just beat Vendrick after getting 4 Giant souls.

After dying to him twice, I've finally realized that just strafing around him and stabbing his ass is the most effective strategy. Still has a ton of def even with 4 giant souls though, took so many hits to die.

Well, now all I have left is the DLC before I tackle the last boss.

Top Bottom