• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

LogN

I'm on NG+ on my second character and PvPing in the iron keep. It's amazing how many people die to my magic, roll people!

orborborb

I think this game has the best camera in the souls series,from a functional perspective.

Its very stable and there are rarely any situations where it goes nuts with the zooming/rotation.

Also,the game makes everything in front of the character view transparent so you can see your character at all times.

the Dark Souls II camera drives me insane because it jumps from slowly rotating to quickly rotating rather than gradually moving faster as you push the analog stick more

similarly the Dark Souls II character movement refuses to accept that I want to turn my character until I push the stick WAY off to the side

I actually prefer Dark Souls II to Bloodborne overall, but these two problems are at the top of my list of complaints with the game

JackelZXA

Ancient Dragon
is completely kicking my ass.
As soon as I get near him, he'll fly up and throw fire down. So I have to run away to avoid the massive damage. However, by the time I'm half way running back, up he goes again. It's a vicious cycle that I can't beat. :/

Just buff your fire defense. 890 is the hard cap where his fire breath deals almost zero damage. if you can get up to like 700 fire defense you'll be able to just stand there and EAT his fire breath attacks. flash sweat adds 300 fire defense, pharos mask adds 100 from it's "always wet" status, and havel's dragon tooth weapon adds 50 for each one actively equipped. Honestly, if you fully upgrade your armor and use flash sweat you'll probably get really close to 800 anyways. Equip your rings that give fire resistance (including the one that buffs all elements)

I was using the real aurorus set mixed with some alva set, fully upgraded on every part, and good rings, and I well exceeded 890 when i used flash sweat. you can still get stomped, but if you just bring a little fire protection the Ancient Dragon boss is a joke.

Trakan

Just buff your fire defense. 890 is the hard cap where his fire breath deals almost zero damage. if you can get up to like 700 fire defense you'll be able to just stand there and EAT his fire breath attacks. flash sweat adds 300 fire defense, pharos mask adds 100 from it's "always wet" status, and havel's dragon tooth weapon adds 50 for each one actively equipped. Honestly, if you fully upgrade your armor and use flash sweat you'll probably get really close to 800 anyways. Equip your rings that give fire resistance (including the one that buffs all elements)

I was using the real aurorus set mixed with some alva set, fully upgraded on every part, and good rings, and I well exceeded 890 when i used flash sweat. you can still get stomped, but if you just bring a little fire protection the Ancient Dragon boss is a joke.

I only used fire ring + 3 and ring of resistance +1 and his attacks were only hitting me for like 15%.

I could use some advice on where to put my souls next. Current stats are:

VGR 12
END 12
VIT 25
ATN 16
STR 50
DEX 15
ADP 10
INT 4
FTH 22

Weapon discussion with (boss) weapon names, not sure if considered spoilers, but to be safe I tagged it.

I have been using greatshield(s) and mostly
Gargoyle Bident and Dragonslayer's Cresent Axe.

Also, I think I might have encountered the durability issue? I boosted my strenght and vitality up to be able to use
Smelter Sword and/or Iron King Hammer with my shield
, but they both break after killing two or three enemies. This was a big disapointment after using so many souls on just strenght to get to them.

tuna_love

Banned

VGR 12
END 12
VIT 25
ATN 16
STR 50
DEX 15
ADP 10
INT 4
FTH 22

Weapon discussion with (boss) weapon names, not sure if considered spoilers, but to be safe I tagged it.

Also, I think I might have encountered the durability issue? I boosted my strenght and vitality up to be able to use
, but they both break after killing two or three enemies. This was a big disapointment after using so many souls on just strenght to get to them.
The strong attacks lowers durability really fast on smelter sword

VGR 12
END 12
VIT 25
ATN 16
STR 50
DEX 15
ADP 10
INT 4
FTH 22

I'd say bump your vigor and end up, they're pretty low and also bump ADP to at least 20. After that depends what you want to do really.

Aces&Eights

Dual wield just clicked for me. Got my agility to 100 and dex up to level 30. Strength level 30. Just beat that fricking Earthen Peak nightmare and walked into Iron Keep. 5 seconds later I get invaded. Normally, I suck but with sticking to my two weapons I guess I've gotten better for I took out the invader in 2 minutes. He had magic, sword and shield and I barrel rolled all over his ass! Agility at 100 is the sweet spot!

So got done putting a few hours into DS2:SotFS. I put like 250ish hours into DS2 id say combined between PS3 and PC(DX9). I'm loving the new enemy and item placements. It makes the game feel really fresh. So far my most favorite redone zone is definitely heides tower of flame. The Heide knights all hanging around really makes me wish they were there in the Original. However, im going to stop playing untill the durability bug is finally fixed. After playing Bloodborne so much, i can't stand having my greatsword break between like every bonfire.

I'd say bump your vigor and end up, they're pretty low and also bump ADP to at least 20. After that depends if what you want to do really.

Yeah, try to get your agility to 104. Which is about 30 ADP. It makes evasion easier.

There is nothing wrong with having a strength build that isn't based off being a turtle.

bobawesome

Just got to Undead Refuge. How far am I in the game?

And also, wow. The messages left by people in this game are so terrible and troll-heavy that I have to wonder what the fuck attracted so many jackasses to this game. Nothing but helpful messages in Dark Souls and especially Bloodborne, but here half the messages in this are lies about secrets, or jokes about female anatomy. It's just really pathetic.

It's difficult to gauge considering you can get to that area early or somewhat late.
Yeah, I'm sick of messages that are variants of but hole and bleeding but hole.
I was guilty of leaving a message in front of a female character later in the game, however...

In front of the Queen: "I did it!! and then equipment breakage..."

Yeah, I'm sick of messages that are variants of but hole and bleeding but hole.
I was guilty of leaving a message in front of a female character later in the game, however...

In front of the Queen: "I did it!! and then equipment breakage..."

Yeah they're pretty common to see because people tend to rate them higher. Out of curiosity wrote
Weakness: Stabbing From Behind by the Emerald Herald at the Dragon Aerie
which got up to 30 in like a day, whereas all the helpful things I wrote were at like 3 or 4. It's kind of disappointing but unsurprising since there's less incentive to write something helpful.

gogosox82

VGR 12
END 12
VIT 25
ATN 16
STR 50
DEX 15
ADP 10
INT 4
FTH 22

Level your adp and vit.
Smelter Sword
degrades really fast if you use the strong attack a lot but there is a patch coming to fix some durability issues.

Artorias

Banned
I just got my platinum, and really enjoyed my time with this game again. I think there are a lot of changes for the better, but some are just confusing.

In particular, I don't get why they removed so many enemies in some areas. Shaded ruins in particular just seems barren. Maybe they thought it was slow to get through so many lion dudes, but the ghost guys are so much more boring. They barely do any damage, what is the point of them? You can already run to the boss in 20 seconds, why remove so many enemies?

Why change the dragon skeleton event in Aldia's Keep? Its right by a bonfire, and I doubt it killed that many people. What a goofy change.

I like the idea of the change to Dragon Shrine, but again, unless you aggro the gold guys, there are literally 5 enemies. Why?

Still liked it, but tbh I think I liked the original enemies and positions, with very few exceptions.

CLEEK

- after spending 50 hrs in bloodborne, I think I like the combat in DS2 more so than bloodborne. Don't get me wrong, BB's style is exactly how I play most action games, but I like the slower pace and it helps me be less greedy vs enemies. I rolled a cleric and I'm wrecking shop with the mace.

- How can I upgrade my mace and fire longsword? (Which one is better to use?)

When I played DS2, I also went with Cleric as the starting class, as I'd never used a Faith based character before. The Mace got me through the first 30-40% of the game. It's really powerful, and out damaged all the other weapons I obtained in the early stages of the game.

In fact, I'm pretty sure I only used two main weapons for the entire game. Mace to begin with, then Claymore (which I upgraded to Lightning ) which saw me though to the end.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So question about Shaded Woods progression:

I got to the bonfire that has three paths and tried the two non-misty ones which both ended in a dead end (a massive door that I can't open). I assume I need to play through the game some more to get the items that I need to open these doors? So far I only have the two Primal Bonfires from Sinner's Rise and Iron Keep.

Then I went through the misty area and hugged the left wall until I got to the Shaded Ruins bonfire. Is there where I'm supposed to be? Or is there something else in the mist that I'm supposed to do? That area is hard to see in and there are invisible enemies, so I wanted to minimize the amount of time I spent there.

Dresden

Got the four great souls, on to Drangleic. Happy with the changes I've seen so far. Sometimes they're silly (like the sudden repopulation in Heide of their knights), but most of the time I think they work out really well. It feels complete in a way that vanilla wasn't; integration of previously ng+ only enemies into the base game helps as well.

It does make for an easier game, but I don't think that's a bad thing.

I got to the bonfire that has three paths and tried the two non-misty ones which both ended in a dead end (a massive door that I can't open). I assume I need to play through the game some more to get the items that I need to open these doors? So far I only have the two Primal Bonfires from Sinner's Rise and Iron Keep.

Then I went through the misty area and hugged the left wall until I got to the Shaded Ruins bonfire. Is there where I'm supposed to be? Or is there something else in the mist that I'm supposed to do? That area is hard to see in and there are invisible enemies, so I wanted to minimize the amount of time I spent there.

You're in the right place. As for the
misty area, there's loot you can find, along with an npc that sells some unique items.
That's about it.

tuna_love

Banned

There's a stamina regen +1 ring in there

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I'm not sure why, but I guess I just don't understand stats in this game. Why the holy hell is my Stamina only going up by one point at a time now when I raise my endurance past 18? Also, does strength scaling work the same in this game as other Souls titles? My attack stats aren't increasing as I level up my strength, even as low as 17 with a B- scaling weapon. The Fuck?

About 8-10 hours in so far. Really enjoying Dark Ambush 2 Ambush of the first Ambush. :/

Anyway, poison weapons worth it? I was thinking of imbuing a dagger or something fast with poison. Get 3-4 hits in, poison and run away. Does it work that way?

burnfout

Not sure if its the new version of the game, or my increased skills, or my strength build versus my PS3 dex build, but I am just running through the game :(

Dragonslayer, Flexile Sentry, Sentinels, Lost Sinner, Najka all died first try.

The Sentinels were a massive pain in the PS3 version, but now they were quite the joke, felt like I could have handled 8 of these guys.

Also doensn't help that some areas ( Shaded woods, Sinners Rise water ) are nerfed into oblivion.

Luckily the Pursuer(s) give me somewhat of a challenge.

Audioboxer

Hit SL 150 on my character in NG. At Aldias keep, and still have two DLCs left.

Running with dual BS katanas. With 50 dex they're quite strong! Heavy though.

Liking this much better than vanilla DS2. Some tough areas though due to crowding of enemies.

Not sure if its the new version of the game, or my increased skills, or my strength build versus my PS3 dex build, but I am just running through the game :(

Dragonslayer, Flexile Sentry, Sentinels, Lost Sinner, Najka all died first try.

The Sentinels were a massive pain in the PS3 version, but now they were quite the joke, felt like I could have handled 8 of these guys.

Also doensn't help that some areas ( Shaded woods, Sinners Rise water ) are nerfed into oblivion.

Luckily the Pursuer(s) give me somewhat of a challenge.

All the new invisible enemies were a bit of a pain at first. I thought some of them were just visions of other players lol.

SkylineRKR

Anyone know if they fixed the Shaded Ruins geometry exploit that allowed us to jump over a broken wall to get to a chest blocked off by a petrified lion warrior? PS4 version, here.

Works. I did it because I wanted a boss greatsword early and was out of fragrant and still had to beat Sinner's Rise. But it wasn't worth it in the end probably (took me quite some tries), you'll get a lot soon enough.

Menthuss

Just got to Undead Refuge. How far am I in the game?

And also, wow. The messages left by people in this game are so terrible and troll-heavy that I have to wonder what the fuck attracted so many jackasses to this game. Nothing but helpful messages in Dark Souls and especially Bloodborne, but here half the messages in this are lies about secrets, or jokes about female anatomy. It's just really pathetic.

Some of the messages could be from people that are on NG+. IIRC NG+ spawns new enemies in different locations. I'm with you on the dumb "but hole" jokes though.

burnfout

Seriously ? I fought so many of them by now that he can't even hit me anymore. Don't even need to parry cheese him.

Yeah don't know. He currently spawns near McDuff, with archers up high and dogs all around him. Died 2 times to him now. I really need to kill the others first, but was lazy.

bobawesome

Don't find a "Ring of Soul Protection" in the usual places anymore! Any Hints?

"Leave me alone. I am interested in one thing. Dark. You haven't the gift."

Talk to Felkin just before Huntsman's Copse if you have high enough intelligence and faith.

I just started playing this last night and, err, I am pretty sure I am doing something wrong. I know the Dark Souls series is supposed to be difficult but this is ridiculous. The knights in the first section of the game are stupidly difficult. Did I skip a section that should be significantly easier? I've tracked back but haven't been able to find anything. Also, I picked the class with two swords but almost immediately regretted it because I like being able to block and parry. Are the stats going to be unsuitable for the type of character I want to place?

bigol

I just started playing this last night and, err, I am pretty sure I am doing something wrong. I know the Dark Souls series is supposed to be difficult but this is ridiculous. The knights in the first section of the game are stupidly difficult. Did I skip a section that should be significantly easier? I've tracked back but haven't been able to find anything. Also, I picked the class with two swords but almost immediately regretted it because I like being able to block and parry. Are the stats going to be unsuitable for the type of character I want to place?

Head to the forest of the fallen giants first.

Ayt

Banned

VGR 12
END 12
VIT 25
ATN 16
STR 50
DEX 15
ADP 10
INT 4
FTH 22

I'd get vigor and endurance up to the soft cap of 20 asap.

There is a path along the water to the first area very close to the bonfire in Majula

If you put the curved sword in your left hand, you can parry with L2. Unfortunately you cannot block while dual wielding. You already have enough strength to use some lighter shields (there is one you may have missed in a chest along the stairs in the underground path leading to Heide's Tower), but you will need more to wield heavier shields so if you like to play that way you'll want to invest in some strength. You'll also need strength to use bigger weapons.

Nere

I am in ng+ and my stats look like this
vigor 50
end 40
vit 31
atn 5
str 50
dex 32
adp 25
int 5
fth 5

I play with no shield and fume ultra greatsword two handing it and rely on rolls to avoid bosses and fast movement any ideas where to invest next? I was thinking of raising dext to the 50 cap as well but dunno. Maybe I should invest in magic? I have no clue.

la_briola

I am in ng+ and my stats look like this
vigor 50
end 40
vit 31
atn 5
str 50
dex 32
adp 25
int 5
fth 5

I play with no shield and fume ultra greatsword two handing it and rely on rolls to avoid bosses and fast movement any ideas where to invest next? I was thinking of raising dext to the 50 cap as well but dunno. Maybe I should invest in magic? I have no clue.
You can just push adp to ~40.

So im dual wielding 2 katanas atm.
Ucigatana and blacksteel.
I like it but im wondering if a rapier would pair well with a katana instead.
I ask because im nearing the espada and im considering throwing that in.
Or would 2 rapiers outright outdamage a blend of the 2?

Got through the Castle last night. Now I am in
Shrine of Amana
. Oh how I hate this area, tried it a few times last night and while I do good damage to everyone I am getting hit hard and the water is not helping haha.

Rapiers are one of those weapons like the Twinblades who's stats and moveset don't lend them well to dual wielding. You'll get more out of them alone and with a buffing/unique shield.

Really?
Ive been told 2 rapiers can be PvE breaking.
In that case rapier+pyro off hand?
Im grown fond of poison misting shielding enemies.

NEO0MJ

Really?
Ive been told 2 rapiers can be PvE breaking.
In that case rapier+pyro off hand?
Im grown fond of poison misting shielding enemies.

I've never tried it/read on it much personally, but I feel its unique move-set is wasted dual-wielding. I could be wrong.

Ragnaroz

Got through the Castle last night. Now I am in
Shrine of Amana
. Oh how I hate this area, tried it a few times last night and while I do good damage to everyone I am getting hit hard and the water is not helping haha.
Cast Light is your best friend in Shrine of Amana.

NEO0MJ

Hmm but I thought adp cap is at around 25 and you shouldn't get it higher.

You eventually reach a certain point in all stats where boosting them above a certain level leads to diminishing returns. You still gain boosts but they're much lower and take raising multiple levels to increase.

Top Bottom