• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Dammit, I' in U
ndead
C
rypt
and can't beat V
estaldt
. SL 113 SMemory : 980 000.

I get him to lige 20% health but he wrecks me in the end. I could beat him so easily with a summon, but no one shows up but that NPG that is useless in the second part of the fight...

Shame edit : any GAFer able to help ?

Marcel

Where's the wall of shame of all the people who thought the durability thing was intentional? I've kept my copy in the shrink wrap as a result of that mess.

Heysoos

Ancient Dragon
is completely kicking my ass.
As soon as I get near him, he'll fly up and throw fire down. So I have to run away to avoid the massive damage. However, by the time I'm half way running back, up he goes again. It's a vicious cycle that I can't beat. :/

Ragnaroz

My shieldless Sorcerer playthrough is still going great. The only boss fight I died on so far was the Executioner Chariot and it wasn't really the boss that killed me, but those fucking skeletons. The first time I managed to kill them all was the time the boss died. Channeler's Trident is amazing, I just wish I had enough luck to get a 2nd one from the crows so I can power stance them. Will need a bit more dex for that, though, since I've been mainly putting points into int.

I'm really glad I decided to do this. My dodging has improved considerably and it has made a lot of the boss fights I had trouble with before(I'm looking at you Smelter) a complete joke.

Ancient Dragon
As soon as I get near him, he'll fly up and throw fire down. So I have to run away to avoid the massive damage. However, by the time I'm half way running back, up he goes again. It's a vicious cycle that I can't beat. :/
If you can get under his tail(or maybe just a bit further behind) the fire will miss you. And even if it hits you it shouldn't one-shot you if you're wearing Flame Quartz Ring. What I did was stand behind one of his back legs and hack away and he would either try to stomp me(which is easily dodged and preferable) or fly up into the air. When he does decide to fly dodge the fire if you can, or if not it's not that big of a deal, just make sure you're not standing directly beneath him or he will stomp you when he comes down. And one more thing, NEVER lock onto him in this fight, it just makes it harder. You can 2h your weapon because your shield won't do you much good. Once you get a hang of it it's an easy fight.

idonteven

i really can't do it guys... i get really close each time but no matter what i cant kill him,farming gems over and over again is really boring

Jito

Banned
Really enjoying the SOTFS changes they've made towards the mid game/end, feels like the game has a proper story now and some of the enemy changes are fantastic.
I've really enjoyed being invaded by Forlorn throughout the game and the "ghosts" in the woods really got me.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Where's the wall of shame of all the people who thought the durability thing was intentional? I've kept my copy in the shrink wrap as a result of that mess.

It's really not even a gamebreaking thing. Use 1 weapon for trash mobs, 1 weapon for bosses. Easy.

You eventually get weapons that such high durability that it stops being a problem. At least for me.

saturnine

Ancient Dragon

Stand right in front of him to bait his standing fire breath, evade while running up to one of his front legs, hack away with what's left of your stamina, watch out for a possible bite, go back to standing in front of him, repeat.

If you want to really cheese him, craft yourself a full +10 Alonne Knight set, it has ridiculous fire defense. That, the fire resistance ring and flash sweat pyromancy lets you take a facefull of fire for almost nothing.

NeoFaff

Ancient Dragon
https://youtu.be/buVZRElJbIA?t=1m18s
I recorded that boss fight in the DX9 version but the tactic is still the same.

As you go in, stay in front of him until he does the forward fire breath.
Then run to his right leg. Hit it.
When he flies up sprint toward the end of his tail. Keep on the right side.
Repeat. :)

Probably playing and enjoying the game and not letting something so trivial keep them from it.

Can you make a thread when weapons still break after the patch? I'd love to read it

Nere

Not really, I've been playing Bloodborne in NG+ in the meantime. I will enjoy DS2 when the durability bug is fixed.

It isn't a bug nor is it a problem. The durability has really been exaggerated so fucking much when people don't play the game because of a ''durability issue''.

Marcel

It isn't a bug nor is it a problem. The durability has really been exaggerated so fucking much when people don't play the game because of a ''durability issue''.

It seems to be a recognized problem since they're patching it so your statement doesn't seem to count for much other than vague accusations about exaggeration. I would say 'nice try' but the official calibration notes take away any bite you could have mustered up.

Nere

It seems to be a recognized problem since they're patching it so your statement doesn't seem to count for much other than vague accusations about exaggeration. I would say 'nice try' but the official calibration notes take away any bite you could have mustered up.

I have played the game for around 80 hours and my weapon has broke like 5 times max so I am talking from experience here it really isn't an issue at all. Its just that you need to pay an attention to your weapon's durability from time to time unlike the ps3 version were it never broke ever.

Marcel

I have played the game for around 80 hours and my weapon has broke like 5 times max so I am talking from experience here it really isn't an issue at all. Its just that you need to pay an attention to your weapon's durability from time to time unlike the ps3 version were it never broke ever.

The calibration notes call it an issue that is worth fixing and I'd say they have more authority than some faceless random on the internet who cites the amount of time they've played a game as evidence, as if anyone gives a shit.

Dresden

It all depends on the weapon. I use estocs, so durability isn't an issue at all for me. But anyone wielding a weapon that has a wide sweep (resulting in multiple hits against the environment) and/or hitting dead bodies gets fucked, which is what the patch is addressing.

And tying durability damage to framerate is just a terrible idea and should've been fixed a year ago.

Nere

The calibration notes call it an issue that is worth fixing and I'd say they have more authority than some faceless random on the internet who uses the amount of time they've played a game as evidence, as if anyone gives a shit.

I don't understand why you are offensive here, all I am saying is that since you have the game maybe you should give it a try and judge by yourself if there really is a durability issue or not and not listen to what others say?

Novocaine

It's really not even a gamebreaking thing. Use 1 weapon for trash mobs, 1 weapon for bosses. Easy.

You eventually get weapons that such high durability that it stops being a problem. At least for me.

I've started anew and I'm using a katana and this thing is about as durable as paper. I had zero problems running through with a greatsword but there are definitely some weapons that are rough to use because of the rate of durability loss.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
The durability issue mainly seems to cause trouble for me in co-op. Having your weapons hit allied phantoms and the host causes durability loss on par with hitting corpses. I can generally work around smacking dead bodies one way or another, but predicting the movements of potentially three other human-controlled allies to avoid clipping them and losing a huge chunk of durability all while fighting a boss is a pretty tall order. I've been using a Crypt Blacksword and even when I'm actively avoiding using anything other than the overhead swings that have very little horizontal travel I've ended up smashing the thing to pieces while helping out with bosses more than a few times.

Lenigrast's gotta be wondering what I'm doing to the damn thing at this point. Guess I'm contributing to Chloanne's college fund and all, but I'm pretty sure he's swapping stories about what an irresponsible sword owner I am with McDuff.

Jombie

The Espada Ropera has been my weapon of choice for PvE for awhile, just didn't have it there. Go dex, equip Flynn's, Old Leo and RoB and destroy.

For PvP, Channeler's Trident in right and Warped Sword in left. It's amusing when people panic and don't know what the hell to do.

gogosox82

Ancient Dragon

Run towards his back legs and attack. He will usually do a stomp attack. Then roll out of the way and attack either his tail or his other leg. You can usually loop him into the stomp or tail attacks which are really easy to dodge. If he does the fly up fire breathe attack, run towards his tail as the fire shouldn't hit you. He also may raise up and fire attack underneath his legs but that's pretty easy to see and get out of the way of. Pretty boring strategy but really effective. If all else fails you could farm for the Alonne set( it has high fire defense) and upgrade it and use flash sweat and small orange burs for the fire defense or use the grym greatshield (100% fire resistance).

Kama_1082

Banned
Alright dudes, I got around 2 hrs or so in this after Bloodborne being my first souls title. And I have some thoughts and questions:

- I'm enjoying the hell out of the game. I just got to the 2nd bonfire at the forest of the giants and its definitely more forgiving than the beginning of bloodborne.

- after spending 50 hrs in bloodborne, I think I like the combat in DS2 more so than bloodborne. Don't get me wrong, BB's style is exactly how I play most action games, but I like the slower pace and it helps me be less greedy vs enemies. I rolled a cleric and I'm wrecking shop with the mace.

- what's up with the durability? I fought almost every enemy between the 1st and 2nd bonfire at the forest and had to use the broken sword just to get though to the door. I'm not sure I'm enjoying that. How can I upgrade my mace and fire longsword? (Which one is better to use?)

- I've been playing for a few min and my health is at 50% after leaving the bonfire. I finally figured out to use an effigy, and I'm back to normal. I only have 2 more..what's the use of these?

- how do I start co-op with my friend? I see the items for invading. I'm probably blind and can't see it, but can someone guide me to the right direction?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Just got to Undead Refuge. How far am I in the game?

And also, wow. The messages left by people in this game are so terrible and troll-heavy that I have to wonder what the fuck attracted so many jackasses to this game. Nothing but helpful messages in Dark Souls and especially Bloodborne, but here half the messages in this are lies about secrets, or jokes about female anatomy. It's just really pathetic.

Kama_1082

Banned
Just got to Undead Refuge. How far am I in the game?

And also, wow. The messages left by people in this game are so terrible and troll-heavy that I have to wonder what the fuck attracted so many jackasses to this game. Nothing but helpful messages in Dark Souls and especially Bloodborne, but here half the messages in this are lies about secrets, or jokes about female anatomy. It's just really pathetic.
Yeah, noticed that too. Its pretty awful. Some parts are legit about ambushes, but most of the time they aren't and I'm a bit too skittish

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Anyone know if they fixed the Shaded Ruins geometry exploit that allowed us to jump over a broken wall to get to a chest blocked off by a petrified lion warrior? PS4 version, here.

irriadin

Maybe it's just not a good Dark Souls day for me, but I died at least a dozen times to
Elana
in the Sunken King DLC. I've got a dual wield build and I inevitably get killed by
either the Velstadt clone, or Elana's barrage of dark magic attacks.
I'm about soul level 115. What should I do to win this? The NPC summon seems somewhat useless...

Guru-Guru

Banned
Generally speaking, which area is less of a pain in the ass: Black Gulch or Shaded Woods? I only have 1 human effigy left, and don't want to die 10 times and be penalized for it.

Heysoos

Guess I will head there tonight. The fog looks like it will annoy me though.

Just take it slow, and you should be able to see the outline of the enemies through the fog. Sometimes I got confused with the ghosts of other players, but it wasn't hard, just a slow slog. If you want to avoid annoyance though, just hug the left wall.

Alright dudes, I got around 2 hrs or so in this after Bloodborne being my first souls title. And I have some thoughts and questions:

- I'm enjoying the hell out of the game. I just got to the 2nd bonfire at the forest of the giants and its definitely more forgiving than the beginning of bloodborne.

- after spending 50 hrs in bloodborne, I think I like the combat in DS2 more so than bloodborne. Don't get me wrong, BB's style is exactly how I play most action games, but I like the slower pace and it helps me be less greedy vs enemies. I rolled a cleric and I'm wrecking shop with the mace.

- what's up with the durability? I fought almost every enemy between the 1st and 2nd bonfire at the forest and had to use the broken sword just to get though to the door. I'm not sure I'm enjoying that. How can I upgrade my mace and fire longsword? (Which one is better to use?)

- I've been playing for a few min and my health is at 50% after leaving the bonfire. I finally figured out to use an effigy, and I'm back to normal. I only have 2 more..what's the use of these?

- how do I start co-op with my friend? I see the items for invading. I'm probably blind and can't see it, but can someone guide me to the right direction?

- Durability is wack in this compared to Bloodborne (and all the other Souls games). But it gets better as the first area is particularly brutal on your weapons and you will eventually get access to items and rings (Souls series' better version of Caryll Runes) that can lower the durability drop. Also, there's currently a bug in place where if you hit a dead enemy your durability takes a dive so avoid that if possible. They're patching it out soon.

- The health thing is another Souls staple. Unlike BB where you have reduced health as a summon, you have reduced health if you die (and full health as a summon/invader). In DSII they're particularly nasty about it since the more you die, the more HP you lose. Though Demon's Souls was worse in that it made you half HP instantly.

- To co-op, look for an item called the White Sign Soapstone (or the Small White Sign Soapstone). I'll put the exact locations below in spoilers in case you want to discover them yourselves:

The Small White Sign Soapstone
is the first one you usually find, it's in a chest in a room above the second bonfire in the Forest of Fallen Giants. Bash the door down with your weapon to get in or beat the first boss and get his key (no seriously, just bash the door down).

The White Sign Soapstone
comes a bit later in the Forest of Fallen Giants, there's an NPC that will warn you of a trap. Walk into said trap and kill the mobs and then get out and talk to him.

Glad you're enjoying the game. It's a lot better than some of GAF gives it credit for.

The Espada Ropera has been my weapon of choice for PvE for awhile, just didn't have it there. Go dex, equip Flynn's, Old Leo and RoB and destroy.

For PvP, Channeler's Trident in right and Warped Sword in left. It's amusing when people panic and don't know what the hell to do.

You forgot dual wield on the Ropera with another rapier. You kill things super dead with power stance rapiers.

Not using a Warped Sword though, that thing is for MLGs and squares. Go Crypt Blacksword. XD

HeelPower

I think this game has the best camera in the souls series,from a functional perspective.

Its very stable and there are rarely any situations where it goes nuts with the zooming/rotation.

Also,the game makes everything in front of the character view transparent so you can see your character at all times.

KodaRuss

Never really understood the hit box criticism for this game as a sword and board dude. Playing dual wield now and I have to say they are really bad. So many times I am not close to the attack and still get hit

Top Bottom