• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

That's too bad. I consider myself a Souls completionist but to this day still have not beaten the dual tigers after the snow-hell in Ivory King. It was just such a lazy and brute force area. And then to get through it all just to find two bosses that are a straight copy-paste of the SAME level's boss.... sorry I just can't stomach that shit.

This area is all i have left to do on my current play-through and i'm getting my ass handed to me, i make the boss maybe 1 out of 10 attempts. Crazy difficult.

i feel like the game is significantly harder due to aggression ranges and mob placement (although some places have gotten easier overall i'd say harder, especially the beginning, considering the beginning is probably the hardest part of the game).

I found the beginning to be exceptionally easy, i don't think i died to a boss until the
looking glass knight

I really love the atmosphere and soundtrack of this game-especially for Majula. I found myself kinda sad as I
talked to everybody in Majula. Knowing that my adventure was over coupled with the soft soundtrack in background gave me the feels :( lol
Dark Souls 2 is definitely my favorite souls game!

CrovaxPSO

I think I might have shot myself in the foot. I started a new character and joined the sunlight covenant as soon as possible so I could put my sign down a few times at each boss before killing it for myself and moving on. Seemed like a good way to get medals at a decent rate without having to just sit at the same boss dozens of times. But I think I might have gotten too far ahead of the average level for each area, since I'm having a hard time getting summoned at all. I'm currently level 60 (soul memory around 2 million) with my sign down at the
trio
boss in the bastille and I've only been summoned once in 20 minutes. I do have my matchmaking set to worldwide.

Didn't know whether to post here or not. Sorry.

So I bought Vanilla DS2 a long time ago and played through the beginning parts. I enjoyed it, but for some reason shevled it (Due to some medical stuff during the summer I think) I recently purchased BB on Amazon and its coming in two to three weeks. I thought I might as well play some VDS2 this weekend and the next. (Played abit of DS)

Do you guys/gals have any tips for me? I have the ps3 version. Anything to know regarding what class I should pick? I want a challange, but not immensly broken. (Do classes even matter?) Any other tricks and stuff? Thanks in advance.

Shinjica

I think I might have shot myself in the foot. I started a new character and joined the sunlight covenant as soon as possible so I could put my sign down a few times at each boss before killing it for myself and moving on. Seemed like a good way to get medals at a decent rate without having to just sit at the same boss dozens of times. But I think I might have gotten too far ahead of the average level for each area, since I'm having a hard time getting summoned at all. I'm currently level 60 (soul memory around 200k) with my sign down at the
trio
boss in the bastille and I've only been summoned once in 20 minutes. I do have my matchmaking set to worldwide.

Enjoy the soul memory

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but way back at the launch of Dark Souls 2 I recall the preferred way of referring to the reader of a message was "fatty." So you'd get messages like "ambush ahead, fatty." and you'd be forewarned that there were miscreants lying in wait ahead and that you should maybe cut some carbs (or something, I'm not, like, a chef or nothin').

Nowadays it seems like everybody calls me a but hole, tho. It's some sorta zany semantic shift. Someone at From oughtta make a graph or something tracking message usage over time.

That's too bad. I consider myself a Souls completionist but to this day still have not beaten the dual tigers after the snow-hell in Ivory King. It was just such a lazy and brute force area. And then to get through it all just to find two bosses that are a straight copy-paste of the SAME level's boss.... sorry I just can't stomach that shit.

They did very slightly modify that area for Scholar of the First Sin: they added a third NPC phantom. So you can trek through the place accompanied by a full AI posse if you're so inclined.

The new phantom doesn't wear pants. It's just like playing with a real person.

Scooby

Anyone know where to get Vendricks armor set? I have the crown and soul but the rest of the armor wasn't in the chest for me

NEO0MJ

So I'm finishing up Bloodborne and I'm absolutely loving it. How close is Dark Souls 2 gameplay-wise ? I'm guessing it should be a safe purchase since I'm enjoying Bloodborne ?

Also, graphically, how do they both compare ?

Thanks

bloodborne looks considerably better, dark souls 2 is a slower paced game with much more options as far as items, weapons, attack types and the like go. it also has playable PVP and coop unlike the extremely poor online component of BB (a game i love but online functionality is awful balance and design wise)

Pretty much what Sonic said. Another thing I'd like to add is that the game is longer and runs at 60 FPS, which makes it much smoother. Going back to 30 FPS in BB was annoying, especially considering the faster pace of the game.

Cerity

I think I might have shot myself in the foot. I started a new character and joined the sunlight covenant as soon as possible so I could put my sign down a few times at each boss before killing it for myself and moving on. Seemed like a good way to get medals at a decent rate without having to just sit at the same boss dozens of times. But I think I might have gotten too far ahead of the average level for each area, since I'm having a hard time getting summoned at all. I'm currently level 60 (soul memory around 2 million) with my sign down at the
trio

If you're unsure where you should be for summons, the places with an orange border on the teleport screen are where people in your soul memory range are most active.

CrovaxPSO

If you're unsure where you should be for summons, the places with an orange border on the teleport screen are where people in your soul memory range are most active.

I totally forgot about that, I'll head to those areas. Thanks for the reminder, haha.

FixatedMouth

Neo Member
So I stumbled across something really fun last night...

I was invading all over the place and eventually made it to
Dragons Shrine
for invasions. I spawned at the top of the stairs and a three man squad was waiting for me. As I was fighting them the sunbro accidentally hit one of the knights and all hell broke loose. I couldn't stop laughing as this sea of death knights swarmed them and killed them in seconds.

I don't know why I found it so funny but I invaded there the rest of the night and just goaded the host into hitting one of the knights. It was so much fun :)

Audioboxer

So I stumbled across something really fun last night...

I was invading all over the place and eventually made it to
Dragons Shrine
for invasions. I spawned at the top of the stairs and a three man squad was waiting for me. As I was fighting them the sunbro accidentally hit one of the knights and all hell broke loose. I couldn't stop laughing as this sea of death knights swarmed them and killed them in seconds.

I don't know why I found it so funny but I invaded there the rest of the night and just goaded the host into hitting one of the knights. It was so much fun :)

I accidentally rolled into one of them and got completely mauled lol. (not invading. I'm nice, I don't invade)

So I just killed the
twin Dragonriders in Castle Dragleic.

The only way available to me loops back to the same room after going through a circle. Cant activate the soul giant twisting thingy cause nothing is alive in that room. Where do I go?

So I just killed the
twin Dragonriders in Castle Dragleic.

The only way available to me loops back to the same room after going through a circle. Cant activate the soul giant twisting thingy cause nothing is alive in that room. Where do I go?

Here ya go :)
Bring the two enemies in the next room into that room with you so they activate it.

Didn't know whether to post here or not. Sorry.

So I bought Vanilla DS2 a long time ago and played through the beginning parts. I enjoyed it, but for some reason shevled it (Due to some medical stuff during the summer I think) I recently purchased BB on Amazon and its coming in two to three weeks. I thought I might as well play some VDS2 this weekend and the next. (Played abit of DS)

Do you guys/gals have any tips for me? I have the ps3 version. Anything to know regarding what class I should pick? I want a challange, but not immensly broken. (Do classes even matter?) Any other tricks and stuff? Thanks in advance.
Class doesn't really matter in any Souls game, it just determines what gear you start out with, none of which is unique. Leveling up in DS2 is the cheapest ever in the series (in terms of how much it costs in souls to level up), so it's very easy to take a mage and make them in to a hulking greatsword user.

If you want any easier time for the first area, you could start as a mage, buy an extra soul arrow spell from the first merchant you come across for double the casts. That will make the first part quite easy and give you an easy time at getting souls to level up any way you want, even forgeting magic entirely.

Other than that, grab a 100% physical block shield as soon as you can. Talk to NPCs until the start to repeat themselves (after which they will move to the hub or on to their next location for their "questline").

There is an special set of weapons in there.

Ohhh I think I will do the DLC before I finish the game. Does it dump you into NG+ as soon as you finish the game like Bloodborne? Or can you run around and do things? Right now I am at
Dragon Shrine
, am I close to then end?

Also a general question, I have been using the same armor for most of the game, nothing I really find seems to measure up to it. Using Drangleic Set right now. Found the Faraam Set and really like the looks but the stats are meh...should I upgrade a different set or just keep using the Drangleic?

Novocaine

You dont get automatically put into NG+ after you beat the boss.

Use whatever armour suits you best. If you aren't having trouble with item burden with Drangleic then go for it. There isn't really a BIS, it's all situational.

You dont get automatically put into NG+ after you beat the boss.

Use whatever armour suits you best. If you aren't having trouble with item burden with Drangleic then go for it. There isn't really a BIS, it's all situational.

Gotcha, I think I just want a different look haha. Maybe I will upgrade some armor.

irriadin

Is infusing your weapon not always a good idea in this game? I was under the impression that it was a no-brainer move in the past Souls games, but I've read posts stating the contrary about doing it in DS2 in various places. I have a +10 Fire Shortsword and a +10 Lightning Scimitar, using a DEX build with power stance.

Heysoos

I'm having a lot more problems that I'd like to admit on a certain part of the Old Iron King DLC.

I'm doing the tower that's
full of curse. The one that spawns an invader when you go through the chain. I get him down to like a quarter health and he immediately books it with seemingly infinite stamina all the way to the bottom where he gets healed by the stupid thing. And those other guys that never stop reviving, and the invader won't follow me back up no matter how much I bait him. So I'm constantly getting fucked over by the two ghost guys with range while I try to fight the invader.

Tips? Or anyone want to lay down a Shade sign there? :) Xbox One for reference, 2.9m soul memory. :3

gogosox82

trio

Soul Memory is your issue. You can only co op with people around your sm (so somewhere around 2 million). If you go to the bonfire and select travel, you can see where mp is active around your sm.

gogosox82

I'm having a lot more problems that I'd like to admit on a certain part of the Old Iron King DLC.

full of curse. The one that spawns an invader when you go through the chain. I get him down to like a quarter health and he immediately books it with seemingly infinite stamina all the way to the bottom where he gets healed by the stupid thing. And those other guys that never stop reviving, and the invader won't follow me back up no matter how much I bait him. So I'm constantly getting fucked over by the two ghost guys with range while I try to fight the invader.

Tips? Or anyone want to lay down a Shade sign there? :) Xbox One for reference, 2.9m soul memory. :3

Seed of a tree of giants. Use it and when he runs down the stairs the enemies will aggro on him and kill him. If you use a weapon with strong knock back, you can knock him off the ledge and he'll fall down the hole and die.

Heysoos

Seed of a tree of giants. Use it and when he runs down the stairs the enemies will aggro on him and kill him. If you use a weapon with strong knock back, you can knock him off the ledge and he'll fall down the hole and die.

I ended up just resetting the encounter via bonfire, then lured him across the chain right away. He did the lance charge and fell to his death. 😂

Kamina

Golden Boy

I solved it in running by to the bottom and waited until they followed me, then i ran to that Fire Maiden and destroyed it, eliminating the curse.
Once that is done you can flee to the top and take out the enemies one at a time while slowly making your way down. At that point the invader will also follow you again amd you can fight him.

for those of you that have blown through the game lol how different is the new enemy layout and how are the balance changes overall?

Only two areas got harder I think, but less harder than three areas that were nerfed.

Harvest Valley is a bit harder now, but they smoothed out the difficulty. Before it was a mostly easy level with an annoying part before the boss door. Now the route to the boss is easier but the level is harder.

The area before old dragonslayer is harder, it's probably better because it's a deterrent for new players to go to him since he is significantly harder than dragonrider.

Shrine of Amana's last pull is much easier. Dragon Shrine is much easier. Dragon Aerie is annoying if you don't use a fragrant branch. The area before vendrick has much less golden knights. Lost Memories seems easier as well.

I'm really pleased overall. Already planning to a faith CoTC run through after I'm done. Working through DLC areas right now. The additions they made to the game's story makes more sense as well.

Heysoos

Does the Ring of Evil Eye not work? I have the +1 version and I don't see myself gaining any health at all after any kills.

Buburibon

Ok. Seriously. The constant crashes is ruining the experience pretty badly.

Are you using any overlays at all? My game wouldn't start until I disabled RTSS, and wouldn't stop crashing until I disabled the Steam overlay. It's been rock solid ever since.

Come to think of it, gaming/specialty keyboard and mice were causing crashes over at my father's.

Heysoos

Are you using any overlays at all? My game wouldn't start until I disabled RTSS, and wouldn't stop crashing until I disabled the Steam overlay. It's been rock solid ever since.

Come to think of it, gaming/specialty keyboard and mice were causing crashes over at my father's.

Sorry, should have mentioned I'm playing on X1. I'm beginning to think I should have just bought on PC.

hawk2025

Killed in the Black Gulch last night by a Black Phantom close to the second bonfire.

Rage.

RAGE.

It's an X1 issue, I believe, being patched along with the durability eventually.

Sorry, should have mentioned I'm playing on X1. I'm beginning to think I should have just bought on PC.
Ah, this.

Sullichin

Sorry if this has been asked a lot:

Is there an ETA for the patch that fixes weapon durability?

"coming weeks" is all we know.
Fixed issue whereby weapon durability was decreased drastically when used on enemy corpses, friendly characters, etc. (Especially apparent for users running the game at 60 fps as the durability decrease rate was linked to the frame rate).
http://www.darksoulsii.com/us/news.1.php

Trying to decide if I should poison stone my Ricard's. I am at 25 dex 20 str now and will probably pump faith for infusion bonuses before anything else.

I am mostly switching between mace, fire longsword, BSK, and greatsword. Haven't took any of them past +6 yet tho. Man I love the movesets of weapons and switching my style up constantly in this game. 500+ hrs on 360 and loving SoTFS and its changes.

Edit: on x1

Heysoos

How the fuck are you supposed to kill the
Ivory king dude
? The bullshit adds never stop spawning.

edit: got it but that was really not intuitive.

Top Bottom