• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

rhandino

Banned
I don't know all the changes since launch but it seems pyromancy is largely the same, lightning spear was mega nerfed, and for some reason I remember greater resonant souls having more casts.
9Z6MDrO.gif

Lightning + Great Lighting Spear was so good, I used them mostly as complements to my Mace + Sunlight Blade but I can understand, The boss at
Aldia Keep
was SO EASY with it...

george_us

So I bought this a week ago to see if I was too hard on Dark Souls 2 when it came out and I'm still having trouble staying interested past No Man's Wharf. There's just something fundamentally "off" about combat compared to the previous that makes it unenjoyable for me.

i'm enjoying this, but the encounter design is significantly more annoying and less intuitive in comparison to bloodborne. way too many areas where you have to slowly draw out 1 enemy at a time. very tedious when you've run through the same area for the 6th time.

BizzyBum

For boss
Scorpioness Najka, I didn't realize you need her to knock the tree down to get that item from the person on top. I guess it's impossible to get now? Was the item any good?

You know what's the most evil and powerful tactic bosses have in this game: The stagger near the 10% mark of their health. Almost had Fume Knight...and I let greed claim me.

Since lightning is nerfed, i want to reallocate point for my char. My stat now:
VIT 30
END 20
ATN 13
STR 16
DEX 50
ADP 24
INT 6
FTH 40

I mainly use Blacksteel Katana, Fachilon and Old dragon Spear. Anyone can suggest me a good weapon to replace spear since i won't focus on FTH anymore (magic/fire or something?)

njean777

Beat the fume knight and man that was a great fight (took me about 10 tries, was using a great sword +10). The DLC for this game has been great so far, now just have to beat the last boss in the Iorn Crown dlc. Then it is off to the last Sunken Crown.

Dimmle

I finally beat
Fume Knight
after at least 20 tries. Oddly enough, he didn't buff his sword at all during the final attempt. Easy win.

Spittyball

Neo Member
So do any other console gamers hate the jump from 30 fps to 60 fps? I just feel like it slowed the game down a lot and I just cannot get into it. Last year I put ~100 hours into it. I have had my PS4 version for 2 weeks now and have played for less than 4 hours. I also feel like they nerfed the entire game. 2 summons for the first boss? Among other things I have noticed.

Just wondering if anyone else who played on the consoles last year share my opinions.

i'm enjoying this, but the encounter design is significantly more annoying and less intuitive in comparison to bloodborne. way too many areas where you have to slowly draw out 1 enemy at a time. very tedious when you've run through the same area for the 6th time.

It gets better. Some areas are pretty good in the new version.

The first few areas got the worst of it TBH. Forest of the fallen giants and Heidi's tower are just ridiculously bad. The game goes apeshit on ambushes and ganks there. But once you get over that hump, its actually pretty decent. The new enemy placement fixes a lot of shitty areas in the mid and late game IMO. And the DLC is excellent both in terms of level design (which is the best the Souls series has had IMO) and enemy placement.

There is still an odd place here and there that will throw you into a gauntlet but its not as bad as the vanilla game was.

elfinke

I just got to the
horde of corpses
boss. He's kicking my ass. Making matters worse is a new NPC invader having his way with me. Halp?

So I finally jumped in on Scholar this week, while timing out on BB. I put 300-odd hours into vanilla DS2, so thought I'd be burnt out on content, but the small changes (and the fact I didn't play any of the DLC, despite buying it...) were enough to convince me to jump in. Oh and the paltry price on Steam helped, too.

Fuck me, some of these NPC invaders are unreal. That particular fucker in front of the Rotten, god damn he made me sweat. I love The Gutter and Black Gulch, they're both like puzzles. I punch my way through all the statues and set fire to all the oil pools in the Gulch, slowly and methodically. It's an easy, quite enjoyable area to work through. But jeez, when he spawned he really stole the jam out of my doughnut.

Nonetheless, Scholar is proving to be a bunch of fun, and DS2:Scholar might just be my favourite Souls game of the lot, surpassing Demon's.
Though I need to dig into BB a little more to be sure.

I'm looking forward to digging into the PvP meta, having not looked at it in months, pre-DLC last year. What's that like these days? I spent a good while yesterday hanging around the Gargoyle tower stomping bellbros for fun, the amount of activity in that area was very encouraging.

Just wondering if anyone else who played on the consoles last year share my opinions.

dear lord no. A rock solid 60 frames per second has increased my enjoyment 10 fold. I've played every souls game on console, just got the gaming pc last year and even dark souls horribly fluctuated for me with the durante fix. DSII makes me realize how the souls game were meant to be experienced, without the vomit inducing camera.

akira28

I'm enjoying the hell out of this game. Didn't even see fit to uninstall the old version.

loving all these high level enemies hidden in unexpected spots. It's like a loving "fuck you" from the original From team. Like they came back and made changes to make this the definitive version after bloodborne was done.

NEO0MJ

Should I kill
Carl the cartogropher

For the other assassinations it seems I don't have to but I can't find a work around for him.

You don't have to. To get the item
just light all the main bonfires and beat the game without moving to NG+. He'll give you his stuff after talking to him.

Wagram

Damn the
Fume Knight. I had him at 20% and he 1 shots me with that sword in the ground shit (I am on champions covenant).

NEO0MJ

But doesn't he revive at new game plus anyway?

I meant bbefore moving to NG+. After you beat the final boss and watching the credits you have the option of finishing stuff before moving to NG+ by going to a bonfire and choosing to move on from the options. It's then that he'll give you his stuff.

SkylineRKR

The first few areas got the worst of it TBH. Forest of the fallen giants and Heidi's tower are just ridiculously bad. The game goes apeshit on ambushes and ganks there. But once you get over that hump, its actually pretty decent. The new enemy placement fixes a lot of shitty areas in the mid and late game IMO. And the DLC is excellent both in terms of level design (which is the best the Souls series has had IMO) and enemy placement.

There is still an odd place here and there that will throw you into a gauntlet but its not as bad as the vanilla game was.

During Things Betwixt I thought I played an awful game. Incredibly dumb area. This combined with the low AGL.

I actually started to like the game once I got past the Giant. Shortcuts were pretty smart. Heide's was okay, I liked the area but the knights were pissing me off. I did farm the first few big guys until they stopped spawning. It gave me a level boost and the Heide's sword eventually. Which made me steamroll through No Man's Wharf.

Made it to Sinners Rise after a days play. The enemy placement feels ok so far. The pursuer at lost bastille is straight up bonkers though. Plus there's the invader right next to him, jeeze.

My spells are pretty weak at this point. Where can I find the next best staff? I know where the staff of wisdom is but it's gonna be a whole before I have 50 intelligence.

good to know. although i'd put no man's wharf and huntsmans copse in there too along with the other early areas

rhandino

Banned
Started last night the DLC areas, first the Sunken Crown...

Shulva is soooo god, I just love the level design and the enemies there, found hilarious the
tortoise enemies that carries the poison statues
and even when I found a little annoying some of the soldiers there I liked how you use the environment to set traps or make safer a route... like the route to the second bonfire, sogood.gif.

Oh, and managed to found the Puzzling Stone Sword and MAN! one of the most awesome movesets for a weapon... can't wait to continue tonight =D

BouncyFrag

I'm new to DS2 and just started a Cleric looking for general advice as to where I should put my stat points for a melee/faith build. I've found that the mace is a pretty good starting weapon. What would be a good backup weapon to build up with it? Thanks.

vilmer_

Is DLC anti caster? I'm 60 faith and my lighting does shit damage on everything.

It feels like caster damage is kind of crappy in the DLC in general. I'm using a Magic Staff of Wisdom +5 and a Dark Sunset Staff +5 with 60/60 ish in Int/Faith and my spells are doing average damage at best, especially on bosses.

I've been helping people out with the DLC and melee characters seem like they are doing double and even triple my damage (using Crystal Soul Spear, Soul Geyser and Dark Orb with a 4th slot for messing around with random spells. And also using +gooder spell damage rings. There's really not much else that I can do at this point.

Neoweee

It feels like caster damage is kind of crappy in the DLC in general. I'm using a Magic Staff of Wisdom +5 and a Dark Sunset Staff +5 with 60/60 ish in Int/Faith and my spells are doing average damage at best, especially on bosses.

I've been helping people out with the DLC and melee characters seem like they are doing double and even triple my damage (using Crystal Soul Spear, Soul Geyser and Dark Orb with a 4th slot for messing around with random spells. And also using +gooder spell damage rings. There's really not much else that I can do at this point.

Enemies have extra defense to ranged damage, but elements on weapons and the spell buffs can still so a shitload of damage. Several bosses either corrode weapons when hit in their hinds, or will jump away if you get too close, which in some ways helps favor ranged attacks. It is a mixed bag overall, but backstabs can and will fuck up regular enemies even with no points in strength or Dex.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

What I experiemced last night on ivory king. Felt like all I could do was run around and stay love while melee partners killed king and adds.

Kama_1082

Banned
I need help. I'm stuck on the rotten. I just can't seem to avoid anything he does. Can anyone help me out?

PS4, LVL 70, 320K total souls.

I need help. I'm stuck on the rotten. I just can't seem to avoid anything he does. Can anyone help me out?

PS4, LVL 70, 320K total souls.

Are you summoning the NPC phantoms? You can get one towards the left before you go down to the fog door and Lucatiel is available too if you have been following her questline. Having an npc go in an get his attention makes things so much easier because you can strike him from behind. I'd help but am way ahead of you.

Kama_1082

Banned
Are you summoning the NPC phantoms? You can get one towards the left before you go down to the fog door and Lucatiel is available too if you have been following her questline. Having an npc go in an get his attention makes things so much easier because you can strike him from behind. I'd help but am way ahead of you.
I'm making the brutal mistake of just running towards the fog door. I shouldn't do that, I think.

I'm making the brutal mistake of just running towards the fog door. I shouldn't do that, I think.

Another thing to note about that area is that you can destroy some of the poison statues and then go back to the bonfire to replenish yourself and the statues will stay destroyed. They will only re-appear if you die. Makes the trek down so much easier. And there is a second bonfire if you haven't found it yet.

And yeah, it's always best to check the environment first while human, because there are tons of NPC characters you can team up with to help you fight. And I had trouble with Rotton on melee as well so don't think you are alone.

Good luck tho.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yeah I respecced to a moonlight build after beating nash and sunken king and Brume is giving me a hard time.

I'm heavy faith with enough str/dex for santiers spear. Not sure if that's a decent build or not, but it allows me to do decent damage when faith does jack shit.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Demon's Souls is $5 on PSN right now. worth it? or too big of a step back?

110% worth it.

It was my first, so there's definitely some nostalgia speaking, but it has some of the most memorable moments in the series. I think it's up right up there with Bloodborne when it comes to a consistent atmosphere that's really cool and weird at the same time. Great cast of characters, too.

I'm not sure I agree, but I can easily see why some people list it as their favorite in the series.

phoenixyz

What SM do people in the DLC usually have? I am in the 3-5 mill tier and I never see any summon signs nor am I summoned (except once for Fume Knight).

hawk2025

interesting. can you expound on this? is the level design and/or combat better than DS2?

The level design is much better. Combat is somewhat less varied, but benefits from better design and more fun enemy encounters. It also has the best suite of characters so far.

Easily worth the $5, it's a no-brainer at that price.

Top Bottom