• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Ratrat

I beat Ancient Dragon last night...

I don't think I've ever been so happy beating a boss in this series. The feeling of accomplishment is much stronger when they are optional ones that many avoid. Now on to Darklurker. :s

It might be a bit of a culture shock for you coming off of Bloodborne. It's slower, there's no regain system and you also incur a max health penalty every time you die (which can be restored through Human Effigies).

I think the learning curve is higher due to what I just mentioned as well the fact theres just so many more options at your disposal in terms of how you approach combat.

I came off playing Bloodborne and I can tell you there's definitely an adjustment period. Combat is much slower and methodical. Your rolls/evades aren't nearly as effective. The game is also leagues deeper, with literally more than double the stats, along with hidden modifiers for certain things that aren't easy to grasp. There's also a deep and complex magic/enchanting system to learn if you wish. It's also a much bigger game, straight up. Like twice as big. And remember the graphics are just up-rezzed from a last generation game and will be tough on the eyes at first.

All that being said, It's an amazing game if you have the patience to learn and adapt.

Cheers for the replies guys.

Maedre

Banned
i have some serius problems with the graverobber-boss in the sunken King DLC. I am not very good at PvP and these three bastards are killing me at least 40 times.

Its the first Boss who makes me crazy. Fume was cakewalk in comparission.

I´m playing as a Quality Build Dualwield with some Faith magic, SL 225.

Cob32

i have some serius problems with the graverobber-boss in the sunken King DLC. I am not very good at PvP and these three bastards are killing me at least 40 times.

There should be 2 npcs to summon near the bonfire of you don't mind going that route.

SkylineRKR

The robbers were easy mode on my melee build once I swapped out a Fire BK UGS+5 and 100% shield. Just tank and backstab, did 75% damage on the bleed guy. When hes gone you have won. I was like level 140.

Beat
Aldia. Pretty good boss imo. Its mostly about swift evasion and getting a few hits in. Much more fun than Nashandra.

I respecced into a Moonlight Greatsword build and infused it with magic before the final bosses but I don't see the benefits yet. I know its nerfed but I like the weapon. Is there still a viable build for it? Crystal doens't work anymore.

Maedre

Banned
There should be 2 npcs to summon near the bonfire of you don't mind going that route.

i Dont mind this route, but its kind of Harder with them. The life of the Bosses tripples and my npcs are not realy a help. I lost so many Effigys :(

Hey yall, DS2 noob here. I played all of DS1 with a high strength build using a big shield and axe. I noticed that most of the skilled players I see use dodging more than shields so I've decided to roll with a high dex/endurance character this time. So far I've made it up to Flexile Sentry and I have a couple questions:

1. What should I look for in armor? I havr upped my ADP a lot for better dodges and stuff. When I was a STR build armor was simple - bigger was better. But so far I am still wearing the starting armor (knight) and using a +3 Falchion and Fire Longsword (2h both).

2. How do I deal with multiple mobs best? Everything seemed way easier until I got to No Man's Wharf. Multiple enemies and small walkways with no room to roll kicked my ass. Bosses seem easier with no shield and high agility but trash mobs are eating my lunch.

Thanks for any tips you guys might have!

SkylineRKR

Hey yall, DS2 noob here. I played all of DS1 with a high strength build using a big shield and axe. I noticed that most of the skilled players I see use dodging more than shields so I've decided to roll with a high dex/endurance character this time. So far I've made it up to Flexile Sentry and I have a couple questions:

1. What should I look for in armor? I havr upped my ADP a lot for better dodges and stuff. When I was a STR build armor was simple - bigger was better. But so far I am still wearing the starting armor (knight) and using a +3 Falchion and Fire Longsword (2h both).

2. How do I deal with multiple mobs best? Everything seemed way easier until I got to No Man's Wharf. Multiple enemies and small walkways with no room to roll kicked my ass. Bosses seem easier with no shield and high agility but trash mobs are eating my lunch.

The Drangleic set is very good if you've got the vitality. Also the Knight set is very good, its not the starter set for a knight build and its past a stone statue in the tower of flame on the way to No man's wharf. I used it until near the end.

To deal with multiple enemies you have to pull them one by one with bows. Or position yourself behind a narrow path or a door.

The Drangleic set is very good if you've got the vitality. Also the Knight set is very good, its not the starter set for a knight build and its past a stone statue in the tower of flame on the way to No man's wharf. I used it until near the end.

To deal with multiple enemies you have to pull them one by one with bows. Or position yourself behind a narrow path or a door.

Thanks for the tips. I saw that statue but I don't know what you need to get past it. Lol

Going to purchase in the next few days, just watched VaatiVidya beginner guide and he is using a magical wand/stick as his first weapon which he recommend to start the game with but does not state what class the character is or what weapon it is.
It is a good started weapon or should I be using a sword/shield combo, which I would presume is a good starter setup for a newbie to the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLg0vQ53Df4

Kazuhira

The only advice i can give you is to learn the terrain and use it for you advantage so you can separate the group,i always go to the lower level with water(the guys with the Alva and Havel set will follow you ) and then quickly return to the upper level and fight the dude with the great bow.
I remember when i was about to win the fight,only the Havel guy left with less than 1/4 of hp and somehow i managed to screw it up and he kills me with the dragon´s tooth spin attack,i raged so hard that i almost went super saiyan.

Fragrant Branches. Which you can get a lot of slightly later on in the game.

Old Hag Melentia sells one or 2. But the first one should be used on the petrified woman in Majula imo.

Awesome! I went ahead and used it for the armor. Guess I'll just deal with the consequences later :)

Flexile Sentry was easy mode with this build.

Fisty

Finished my first playthrough, got every spell etc possible, beat every boss (including DLC) and left no stone unturned. 78 hrs, on to ng+

So I'm full timing the Havel armor and Havel shield in my tank and spank build. Is this as good as it gets? Should I be dumping all my twinkling titanite into this set? I've also got a +5 pursuers ultra greatsword. Which weapon should I focus on next? I'm almost entirely strength. I onto had enough dex to wield that sword

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I came off playing Bloodborne and I can tell you there's definitely an adjustment period. Combat is much slower and methodical. Your rolls/evades aren't nearly as effective. The game is also leagues deeper, with literally more than double the stats, along with hidden modifiers for certain things that aren't easy to grasp. There's also a deep and complex magic/enchanting system to learn if you wish. It's also a much bigger game, straight up. Like twice as big. And remember the graphics are just up-rezzed from a last generation game and will be tough on the eyes at first.

All that being said, It's an amazing game if you have the patience to learn and adapt.

Bump up your AGL stat(pump points into Adaptability) and around the mid-90's/early 100's your rolls will be far more effective with more i-frames and far less instances of being smacked out of it with cheap toe hits. Annoying that this was a thing, but worth the skill dump if you want rolling to not feel so janky.

Once you hit 95 and eventually 100 in AGL, the difference is night and day in terms of rolling feeling like a proper gameplay mechanic.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

I have played all games as a Dex-dodge roller. Pretty much always stuck to light armor(usually the assassin gear or leather). You are squishy but highly maneuverable.

If you are fine with the Falchion moveset, pumping that up to +10 eventually alongside equipping the Stone ring(poise break) will often make you feel like you can stun-lock certain bigger enemies to death with long combo strings. Having a magic weapon as well is necessary as well for certain enemies(Fire LS is fine early in but may want to have other elements in the lategame to swap too, but Falch +10 will get you through most of the game)

Highly recommend grabbing a Winged Spear as well. Scales with Dex, has long thrust reach(perfect for cramped spaces), does great damage and will be a lifesaver in certain situations you describe in point 2. Heilde's Spear is a good alternative(same moveset but with boosted Lightning dmg)

Oh and if you forego magic, keep a bow on hand for ranged combat/pulling. By the end game, your high dex will make a longbow viciously deadly on its own too even with cheap arrows.

I played DS2 last year and was pretty down on it overall. Craving something to play having finished BB so I'm gonna do the upgrade on PC.

I wanna do an int build. Is there a rough stat investment I should follow? Also want as close to the i-frames as the other souls games as possible.

gogosox82

Going to purchase in the next few days, just watched VaatiVidya beginner guide and he is using a magical wand/stick as his first weapon which he recommend to start the game with but does not state what class the character is or what weapon it is.
It is a good started weapon or should I be using a sword/shield combo, which I would presume is a good starter setup for a newbie to the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLg0vQ53Df4

He started as a sorcerer which gives you a sorcerer's staff. Its fine to start as a sorcerer but I think you will get more out of playing if you use a melee class. I would start as a knight if you want to be a melee player. You start with a lot hp and adp and decent str and dex. You also start with a good set of armor and a decent weapon with the broad sword. If you want to be a sorcerer then definitely start with the sorcerer class but do not get hit because you have really low starting hp and no good armor on.

I played DS2 last year and was pretty down on it overall. Craving something to play having finished BB so I'm gonna do the upgrade on PC.

I picked this up for the PS4 I can only imagine it is a million times better on the PC. I loved Demons Souls and Bloodborne, the first Dark souls was great.

Just started it last night. This is amazing. Do it.

One question, can I do the endboss and then do the DLC or do I have to do the DLC first like in DS1?

DLC gives you a special buff to be
always human
if you collect the three crowns, and one of the DLC requires the ashen mist. to unlock a optional boss memory.

There's a free PS4 theme on Japanese PS+
https://twitter.com/senden_ogu/status/592643576988729344

Also is the Black Knight Halberd alright for playing the DLC areas? I'd think that at least in the second DLC the fire damage is not too useful.

Second DLC have lots of fire resistance mobs for obvious reasons

He started as a sorcerer which gives you a sorcerer's staff. Its fine to start as a sorcerer but I think you will get more out of playing if you use a melee class. I would start as a knight if you want to be a melee player. You start with a lot hp and adp and decent str and dex. You also start with a good set of armor and a decent weapon with the broad sword. If you want to be a sorcerer then definitely start with the sorcerer class but do not get hit because you have really low starting hp and no good armor on.

Thanks, very useful information.

Man people weren't joking with the lightning nerf. Are the two dlc lightning spells any good? I might just sit at 40/30 faith/int and use defender's greatsword (is this still good?).

I don't mind the charges being reduced on lightning spells, but the damage is pathetic. Charges being low is good imo, makes faith builds complementary to melee instead of being a build where you stand back and throw spears like magic/hex do.

Need some advice on what a good dark weapon would be. Thinking of getting enough strength for the red iron twin blade.

pager99

Man people weren't joking with the lightning nerf. Are the two dlc lightning spells any good? I might just sit at 40/30 faith/int and use defender's greatsword (is this still good?).

I don't mind the charges being reduced on lightning spells, but the damage is pathetic. Charges being low is good imo, makes faith builds complementary to melee instead of being a build where you stand back and throw spears like magic/hex do.

Need some advice on what a good dark weapon would be. Thinking of getting enough strength for the red iron twin blade.
I recommend leveling up the fire shortsword to plus 10 then infusing it with dark it's a great little sword and is good for pvp

I have played all games as a Dex-dodge roller. Pretty much always stuck to light armor(usually the assassin gear or leather). You are squishy but highly maneuverable.

If you are fine with the Falchion moveset, pumping that up to +10 eventually alongside equipping the Stone ring(poise break) will often make you feel like you can stun-lock certain bigger enemies to death with long combo strings. Having a magic weapon as well is necessary as well for certain enemies(Fire LS is fine early in but may want to have other elements in the lategame to swap too, but Falch +10 will get you through most of the game)

Highly recommend grabbing a Winged Spear as well. Scales with Dex, has long thrust reach(perfect for cramped spaces), does great damage and will be a lifesaver in certain situations you describe in point 2. Heilde's Spear is a good alternative(same moveset but with boosted Lightning dmg)

Oh and if you forego magic, keep a bow on hand for ranged combat/pulling. By the end game, your high dex will make a longbow viciously deadly on its own too even with cheap arrows.

Thanks for the thorough response! I'm really enjoying playing as a faster and more agile character.

As for now I went ahead and picked up the Knight set, and it doesn't seem like it's messed up my equipment load (60-something% is where it's at now).

I do like the falchion, but I have kept the fire sword around for its thrusting attack for single enemies. I will probably keep the Falchion as long as possible though, as it scales really well. I also do have a spear of some kind that scales well with Dex. Might be the winged spear. I can't remember and I'm at work now. But I haven't used it much because I like having Falchion, Fire sword, and Bow in my weapon slots.

I'm excited to get home and keep going with this character.

SkylineRKR

Less than 100 agility sucks.

I could evade everything at 97 agility. I have it at 100 since but notice no difference at all. Sort of waste of levels. I'd save those for another stat.

The first poison pool in that poison pool place there is 4 in the first poison pool from bonfire just use bonfire ascetics

Or the enemies next to the Black Gulch hidden bonfire. The drop rate seem to be high. I get either a large or chunk, both at the same rate.

Dimmle

The first poison pool in that poison pool place there is 4 in the first poison pool from bonfire just use bonfire ascetics

poison pool poison pool poison pool

Also, try hanging around one of the Belfries. You'll waste a bunch of bellbro scrubs and get a Chunk every time.

Aces&Eights

So if I choose to respec, does it cost anything? I have a soul vessel but I dont want to reroll 2.45 million souls if they take a "fee" out of it. Unless, of course, the fee is 100 souls. I feel that From probably feels 30% is more fair lol

Neoweee

So if I choose to respec, does it cost anything? I have a soul vessel but I dont want to reroll 2.45 million souls if they take a "fee" out of it. Unless, of course, the fee is 100 souls. I feel that From probably feels 30% is more fair lol

Nope. It dumps you back to a stat screen, and you spend your stat points directly, i.e. your stats are refunded and must be used. Souls are untouched.

Aces&Eights

Nope. It dumps you back to a stat screen, and you spend your stat points directly, i.e. your stats are refunded and must be used. Souls are untouched.

Sweet! Oh, I neglected to mentioned I killed the witches. I can pay 15k but what gravestone is the one I want?

Edit: so I have mainly done a dex build but I am wondering if I didn't do it quite right. I have 50 dex, 45 strength, 20 adp, 18 vit 20 endurance/equip load. Should I negate the health and stamina and pump dex up higher? What are the diminishing return numbers for each stat?

rhandino

Banned
I am like 1 boss aways from the ending and wanted to post some impressions, PS3 version here =/

For a little background I played a lot of DSII when it launched, I have 2 characters: 1 was an Alva Knight that only used Drangeleic Sword + Shield and the Dragonrider Bow and the other was a ArchDrake that was HEAVY on Miracles and the Mace + Archdrake Shield, I enjoyed them both a lot, especially the Archdrake one since Sunlight Spear never gets old.

Now since they added more content with the latest patch and also the impressions for the DLC has been fantastic I decided to do a 3rd run without shield and Dualwielding Axes and a Bow for baiting enemies + Faraam armor set AND WOW! Fighting without shield makes some of the battle more intense and fun, just last night I fought
Velstadt
and then
King Vendrick
and was amazed at how more fast and dynamic those battles get without having to hide behind the shield and pray that I was having enough stamina to stand the attacks. Other bosses that I enjoyed fighting without a shield where
The Lost Sinner, Duke Dear Freja, Royal Rat Authority and Trone Watcher + Defender
, game changer tbh.

Now, I have two questions about the DLC:

1) It's true that the DLC difficulty is based on the Soul memory? Am I screwed with a soul memory of 3 Million? T_T

2) How much were the Miracles + Hexes nerfed? I plan to create a new character and this one is going to be a Sorcerer that use both Miracles + Magic with a Dash of Hexes and a Longsword but I read some stories of people saying that magic oriented builds are having trouble big time in the DLC areas...

OH! And can't wait to see how good is the new ending, I find awesome the first time you light
the last of the Primordial Bonfires and that massive explosion happens just for the Scholar to appear =D

I think each DLC has various elemental weaknesses. Pretty sure someone said one of the DLC's everything was weak to dark, and I know one dlc mobs are resistant to fire.

Never heard of DLC difficulty being tied to soul memory, but it looks like it may be true. If that's the case I suppose I know what order to do the DLC in :p.

I recommend leveling up the fire shortsword to plus 10 then infusing it with dark it's a great little sword and is good for pvp

Yup I have it as a backup and I probably should be leveling it over my lightning mace considering the fire bonus is my faith + intellect and I stop pumping points into faith now that it's at 30. Though strike damage is too good to give up.

Figured I should farm this silverback spear for a dark weapon.

I don't know all the changes since launch but it seems pyromancy is largely the same, lightning spear was mega nerfed, and for some reason I remember greater resonant souls having more casts.

Top Bottom