• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Just finished the main campaign in Bloodborne (which I loved) thinking of picking up this game on the PS4.
Have not played any of the Souls style games prior to Bloodborne and wanted to see if anyone can advise how similar they are.
Have looked at a few videos and read some reviews and like what I've seen so far.
Is there a much higher learning curve for DS2 compared to Bloodborne, for example?

Kama_1082

Banned
Just finished the main campaign in Bloodborne (which I loved) thinking of picking up this game on the PS4.
Have not played any of the Souls style games prior to Bloodborne and wanted to see if anyone can advise how similar they are.
Have looked at a few videos and read some reviews and like what I've seen so far.
Is there a much higher learning curve for DS2 compared to Bloodborne, for example?
I was in the same situation as you were and I found DS2 to be a bit easier in some ways and harder in others.

I found the combat to be a bit slower, but yet much more satisfying than BB and its just as easy to get mobbed like in BB.

Dying makes your overall health go down to a max of 50%, potentially making you go back to being a human.

What I did love is that when you use flasks or heals, they reset after you die.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I came off playing Bloodborne and I can tell you there's definitely an adjustment period. Combat is much slower and methodical. Your rolls/evades aren't nearly as effective. The game is also leagues deeper, with literally more than double the stats, along with hidden modifiers for certain things that aren't easy to grasp. There's also a deep and complex magic/enchanting system to learn if you wish. It's also a much bigger game, straight up. Like twice as big. And remember the graphics are just up-rezzed from a last generation game and will be tough on the eyes at first.

All that being said, It's an amazing game if you have the patience to learn and adapt.

Neoweee

There's nothing in the series like killing three invading Bellbros. Maybe that speaks more to their abilities than my own, but it really seems like nobody knows how to play against Heavenly Thunder or a plain ol' Greatsword.

I came off playing Bloodborne and I can tell you there's definitely an adjustment period. Combat is much slower and methodical. Your rolls/evades aren't nearly as effective. The game is also leagues deeper, with literally more than double the stats, along with hidden modifiers for certain things that aren't easy to grasp. There's also a deep and complex magic/enchanting system to learn if you wish. It's also a much bigger game, straight up. Like twice as big. And remember the graphics are just up-rezzed from a last generation game and will be tough on the eyes at first.

All that being said, It's an amazing game if you have the patience to learn and adapt.

i can attest to this. it took me a good 5 hours or so to get used to the combat. and i still haven't been using a shield, like....at all. i've beaten 2 bosses and one of the invaders. the game is signifcantly harder than bloodborne, and a lot of that i think has to do with stamina. it's just so much more precious here than in BB.

anyway, as far as the graphics go. it's funny, the game looks really, really good in some spots, and really, really ugly in others....like ps2 level bad in some spots. it ultimately comes down to the lighting. above and beyond the big downgrade controversy, which i'm largely unfamiliar with...why did they abandon the torch system? it seems like there's whole rooms and sections of the game that were supposed to be dark and require a torch, but they don't. the lighting even changes when you have a torch, making these rooms seem like they'd be pitch black without it. really strange cause the game looks way better when the lighting systems are doing their thing

Had you played a Souls game before Bloodborne?

I played DaS through to maybe the top of Sen's Fortress, and am now working through Bloodborne (which I'll actually finish) and already eyeing DS2 but worried I'll be kind of disappointed. How does it feel after playing through BB? Are you enjoying it?

it's slowly and slowly growing on me. i definitely don't like the combat as much as bloodborne, nor the world and aesthetic, but i'm definitely enjoying it. the adjustment was rather rough because the dodging and stamina are so much different from BB

drotahorror

dat hunters hat

jsrBzF5.jpg

mkvl

Neo Member
GAF I have a confesion to make... My time with Sotfs is making this my favourite Souls game. I know its blasphemy to put it above DkS but I can't help it, maybe I need to grab a good PC and replay DkS on 1080p/60fps.

HeelPower

GAF I have a confesion to make... My time with Sotfs is making this my favourite Souls game. I know its blasphemy to put it above DkS but I can't help it, maybe I need to grab a good PC and replay DkS on 1080p/60fps.

That's a big part of it,I am sure.

I really,really can't wait for DS1 remaster on next gen consoles.

mkvl

Neo Member
Demon's Souls Remastered plz

I think DeS would be the mostra difficult to remaster imho. They could just leave the game intact with better graphics but I would hope for a few game mechanisc tweeks and a bit of remixed content like Sotfs.

It might be a bit of a culture shock for you coming off of Bloodborne. It's slower, there's no regain system and you also incur a max health penalty every time you die (which can be restored through Human Effigies).

I think the learning curve is higher due to what I just mentioned as well the fact theres just so many more options at your disposal in terms of how you approach combat.

Aces&Eights

So, I am level 110ish and about 2.5 mil soul level. At Vendrick. Got 4 of the 5 giants souls (because, Ancient Dragon can bite me. Seriously, I don't last 1 minute.)

Problem is, I don't see any summon signs. I''m not the greatest at Souls bosses so reeeeally want some help but I fear I am now overleveled?

CrovaxPSO

So, I am level 110ish and about 2.5 mil soul level. At Vendrick. Got 4 of the 5 giants souls (because, Ancient Dragon can bite me. Seriously, I don't last 1 minute.)

Problem is, I don't see any summon signs. I''m not the greatest at Souls bosses so reeeeally want some help but I fear I am now overleveled?

I think Vendrick has to be fought alone.

Aces&Eights

He's not too bad if you stick behind him right on his feet, easy to dodge his wide swings and you can attack after his little combo.

Yeah,but not getting AD soul means he's 8x harder, correct? I guess I could at elast give it a whirl. I hear AD is actually harder so....

Ayt

Banned

This weekend I started a new character and the controls feel quite clunky after having played so much DS2 recently.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
With 4 giant souls he only has 2x his base defense.
Wait, wha..? I've been using my giant souls for, well, SOULS because I'm playing a magic character and will never use the (Straid or Orniflex) weapons anyway. Did I screw myself for one of the final bosses? :/

Wait, wha..? I've been using my giant souls for, well, SOULS because I'm playing a magic character and will never use the (Straid or Orniflex) weapons anyway. Did I screw myself for one of the final bosses? :/

don't use the
"soul of a giant"
items. you can get 5 total.

horsebird

Banned
I just got to the
horde of corpses
boss. He's kicking my ass. Making matters worse is a new NPC invader having his way with me. Halp?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I just got to the
horde of corpses
boss. He's kicking my ass. Making matters worse is a new NPC invader having his way with me. Halp?

The Rotten? He's a pretty straight forward boss if you're a melee user. His attacks are highly telegraphed and with low weight it shouldn't be very difficult to dodge them. Don't run around too much as you will probably end up cornering yourself in the flames. There are 2 summons if you've been following Lucatil and another NPC summon in the pit area if you're really struggling with it.

roll dodge cleaves right up in his face->attack->repeat.

gogosox82

Are you referring to boss souls and not soul of a giant souls? You can only get 5 a playthrough without using an ascetic and you get most of those at the end of the game so I would say your fine if your just using boss souls and not soul of a giant souls which you shouldn't really have more than one of unless your at the end of the game.

Sooooooooo was there supposed to be a boss in the Lost Bastille? I'm trying to play this game with as little help in terms of guides and such, so I'm not sure.

I ran past the Pursuer because I didn't feel like fighting him again, and after some adventuring I ended up in Sinner's Rise. No boss fight. Was the Pursuer the boss here and I avoided him? Do I need to go back?

On a kind of related note, I feel like I continue to miss things. For example, what does "Liar" mean on the messages? So many people like these messages and I don't understand why. Also, messages with allusory wall show up, but for the life of me, I'm not able to find out where it is. I've found some that aren't marked..... Are people just trolling?

I just got to the
horde of corpses

Try to hit him in the left arm and evade inmediately when he tries to face you, pretty easy with long weapons or magic but for melee try to hit him two times max then stepback and repeat

Sooooooooo was there supposed to be a boss in the Lost Bastille? I'm trying to play this game with as little help in terms of guides and such, so I'm not sure.

I ran past the Pursuer because I didn't feel like fighting him again, and after some adventuring I ended up in Sinner's Rise. No boss fight. Was the Pursuer the boss here and I avoided him? Do I need to go back?

On a kind of related note, I feel like I continue to miss things. For example, what does "Liar" mean on the messages? So many people like these messages and I don't understand why. Also, messages with allusory wall show up, but for the life of me, I'm not able to find out where it is. I've found some that aren't marked..... Are people just trolling?

After the
sentinel
boss fight, in the same room, there are lots of illusory walls. There is one mayor boss there and a optional boss

EDIT: v oh lol they move it?

usp84

After the
sentinel
boss fight, in the same room, there are lots of illusory walls. There is one mayor boss there and a optional boss. try to do the optional
gargoyles
boss first being hidden in a pharros wall. Who will give you an advantage item against the main area boss.

In sotfs the advantage you mean is not after the optional boss

Aces&Eights

They are trolling big time with those messages. Most walls you can just click X and it will open. Some do require a couple hits with your weapon. If it doesn't work after a couple it is safe to say it's not there.

As for the LB, there are two bosses there.
the 3 Sentinals
are not behind anything except a fog door. From the bonfire that starts you out
in the little room before a long bridge with a troll guy, go past him and into next little room and take a left. You will see another troll and two enemies on the left little patio. Beat then and go in the door. You will need a Fragrent Branch to get by. Once in the room, kill all enemies (there are a LOT) and take an immediate left once in the door. Go into the next room and defeat enemies. Hang a right then a left and go past some jail cells. Then you will see the fog door. After the bosses, check all walls as there are a few hidden areas in here

You've sorta screwed yourself but it's just an optional boss. Killing him does net some cool stuff though. You can respawn the Giants in the Gutter with Bonfire Ascetics to get Giant Souls if you need.

You've sorta screwed yourself but it's just an optional boss. Killing him does net some cool stuff though. You can respawn the Giants in the Gutter with Bonfire Ascetics to get Giant Souls if you need.
I thought they stopped letting you do the bonfire ascetic trick for Giant Souls in the patch that had
Aldia
in it.

Ragnaroz

Can you guys let me know the best places to use bonfire ascetics to farm titinate shards? Particulalry twinkle titanite shards.
Shrine of Amana is pretty good for Twinkling Titanite. Those Archduke guys drop it quite often. And you don't even need bonfire ascetics, just join the Champion Covenant and they will respawn endlessly.

NEO0MJ

Shrine of Amana is pretty good for Twinkling Titanite. Those Archduke guys drop it quite often. And you don't even need bonfire ascetics, just join the Champion Covenant and they will respawn endlessly.

Even the maidens drop it if I'm not mistaken.

Top Bottom