• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Just started this a few days ago. I played for 15 hours and downed 5 bosses before I realized the effigys unlock the other half of your health. If I would have known from the beginning the first 15 hours would have been so much easier haha.

Vgr: 50
End: 40
Vit: 40
Adp: 32? I don't remember
Str: 50
Dex: 37
Att: 13
Int: 30
Fth:30
Rings: third dragon, Chloranthy +2, ring of blades +2, agape ring
Armor: Drakekeeper helm, Velstadt armor, Havel's gauntlets, Alonne knight leggings.
I use about 20-25 different weapons for pvp. From all classes.

What level are you with that?

What are your major weapons for PVE, and what infusions did you use?

Just started this a few days ago. I played for 15 hours and downed 5 bosses before I realized the effigys unlock the other half of your health. If I would have known from the beginning the first 15 hours would have been so much easier haha.

you didnt find the ring of binding? it's pretty important! It doesnt work that way regarding unlocking, it basically means as you go hollow you take a health hit and it goes down to half. If you have the ring of binding it drops by less each time and bottoms out at 75%. Taking the human effigy refills you to full health and being human and also allows you to summon NPCs which there seem to be a lot more of in this version.

Tarkus

What level are you with that?

What are your major weapons for PVE, and what infusions did you use?
260-ish.

Dark Claymore, Dark Zweihander, Dark Fume Sword, regular Sun Sword, Red Iron Winblade, Fire Black Knight Halberd and Greatsword. Mostly the same stuff I use for PvP except for katanas. Blossom Kite Shield for stamina regen, not defense.

I did start using the Vessel Shield yesterday. It looks cool and buffs your stats. I just parry with it.

260-ish.

Dark Claymore, Dark Zweihander, Dark Fume Sword, regular Sun Sword, Red Iron Winblade, Fire Black Knight Halberd and Greatsword. Mostly the same stuff I use for PvP except for katanas. Blossom Kite Shield for stamina regen, not defense.

I did start using the Vessel Shield yesterday. It looks cool and buffs your stats. I just parry with it.

damn i think you are a lot further in this than i am.

ive decided on a custom build i will use for the DLC using a lightning greatclub + 10, Drangleic set, kinds crown, Drangleic shield, sunset staff in the left hand with 4 spells for some range (Dark Orb, Dark Weapon and Repair) as well as a poisoned rapier +10 in the left hand in case someone invades. I saw someone who carried around a huge weapon do this on a video to have something in his left hand that can hit really quickly just to stop people from swinging and hitting him.

Tarkus

damn i think you are a lot further in this than i am.

ive decided on a custom build i will use for the DLC using a lightning greatclub + 10, Drangleic set, kinds crown, Drangleic shield, sunset staff in the left hand with 4 spells for some range (Dark Orb, Dark Weapon and Repair) as well as a poisoned rapier +10 in the left hand in case someone invades. I saw someone who carried around a huge weapon do this on a video to have something in his left hand that can hit really quickly just to stop people from swinging and hitting him.
That's a good strategy. Also think about a Large Club instead. There's really not that much difference except 3 units of weight. Great Club has higher AR but Large Club has better scaling. Hell, have both. Clubs wear down really fast, so a backup, Bracing Knuckle Ring, and repair powder are good strategies.

That's a good strategy. Also think about a Large Club instead. There's really not that much difference except 3 units of weight. Great Club has higher AR but Large Club has better scaling. Hell, have both. Clubs wear down really fast, so a backup, Bracing Knuckle Ring, and repair powder are good strategies.
I saw this bloke carrying the repair spell with him so I think that should be fine. Yes I saw the large club has better strength scaling so will keep this as a backup as well.

you didnt find the ring of binding? it's pretty important! It doesnt work that way regarding unlocking, it basically means as you go hollow you take a health hit and it goes down to half. If you have the ring of binding it drops by less each time and bottoms out at 75%. Taking the human effigy refills you to full health and being human and also allows you to summon NPCs which there seem to be a lot more of in this version.
Yeah I didn't know what the ring of binding did until you said that haha. I'm wearing it now. The game is so much easier now that I know this!

Yeah I didn't know what the ring of binding did until you said that haha. I'm wearing it now. The game is so much easier now that I know this!
Yeah its been in each souls game and it's always something you should have on at all times.

Same as the chloranthy ring. Regardless of your build or class.

carl32

Banned
Is anybody having issues getting online on XB1, i haven't played for 2 months and iv'e had to reinstall the game as it wouldn't update, now it won't let me sync data and so i can't go online or access my saves. I'm going to be well pissed if iv'e lost my saves.

ElTopo

Banned
They definitely boosted the number of invincibility frames this time. I leveled ADP up to 25 (100 AGL) and I was able to beat Smelter Demon on my first try without a shield. That and they probably fixed the hitboxes on him a little bit. Generally I use the Gyrim Greatshield on him.

ElTopo

Banned
Quick question: optional boss in the 3rd DLC (the snow area where you fight the Kings Pets) did they place a bonfire closer to the boss in SOTFS?

After finishing Bloodborne and taking a break from Souls I finally jumped in here and played 5 hours. Just started to bang my head against Heides Tower.

I am not sure I am feeling it. Game just seems to rely to much on spamming large groups enemies at you and the character control just doesn't seem to be up to the task of dealing with it.

Reminds me of Uncharted 3 in a weird way. That was another game that just spammed armoured enemies at you and sucked a lot of the fun out of it.

Runs great on my crummy PC though.

Ancient Core 2 Quad at 2.5ghz and a GTX 750 and still get a almost always locked 60 with everything on high @ 1080p.

ElTopo

Banned
Nope. Much like the trip to Sir Alonne and others. The DLCs are brutal.

Dang...

That's literally my only complaint with the 3rd DLC. Dealing with the barrage of horses and there being no close bonfire really doesn't encourage you to fight that optional boss.

I did finally get my favorite weapon back, the Red Iron Twinblade. Leveled that mother all the up.

PS: I couldn't believe I got so far with a +5 halberd. Really good early weapon when paired with the Stone Ring and it's nice to actually use it now that the Durability bug is gone

After finishing Bloodborne and taking a break from Souls I finally jumped in here and played 5 hours. Just started to bang my head against Heides Tower.

I am not sure I am feeling it. Just to rely to much on spamming large groups enemies at you and the character control just doesn't seem to be up to the task of dealing with it.

Reminds me of Uncharted 3 in a weird way. That was another game that just spammed armoured enemies at you and sucked a lot of the fun out of it.

PS: I couldn't believe I got that far with just a +5 Halberd. Halberd is a really good early weapon when paired with the Stone Ring.

Runs great on my crummy PC though.

Ancient Core 2 Quad at 2.5ghz and a GTX 750 and still get a almost always locked 60 with everything on high @ 1080p.

That dragon guarding Ornstein can go fuck itself. I have no idea how to kill that thing without using a Bow.

Yeah its been in each souls game and it's always something you should have on at all times.

Same as the chloranthy ring. Regardless of your build or class.
Thanks for the tip! Bloodborne was my first "souls" game and I loved it so much I decided to pick up Dark Souls 2 for PS4. Bloodborne seems to be much simpler when it comes to equipment haha.

jb1234

Just started playing this and I'm getting my ass handed to me in the first forest area. I'm a Dark Souls and Demon Souls veteran so I can't figure out why this is so much harder, aside from the distinct lack of Estus Flasks to fall back on.

The random crashes are not helping. There's one particularly nasty bug in the forest which turns the screen white, the game is clearly still running (I can hear the sounds) but I can't do anything. I hope they patch that out because the game is basically unplayable right now.

Soodanim

I get it now. Dark Souls 2 tries too hard. I'm really not enjoying the Gulch area. It's not even traps, it's just that shit everywhere. And it's either learn the perfect rolling or spend 9 hours breaking them all each time you die. I ran through it, got to the boss, and aside from a couple mistimed dodges leading to deaths, it was easy as pie. Disappointingly easy.

I worst thing is I stopped playing over a month ago because I wanted to continue it with a decent controller, so I threw down the 360 and waited for my DS4. Got the DS4, and this area is the first thing I come back to.

Up until now I've been fine with the game. There was a stupid bit with the windmill where I was given no clue that that's what you were meant to do, but it's been fairly smooth sailing most other places. But this shit is worse than Izalith's copy pasted dragon hinds.

MUnited83

For you.
Where to be summoned at a little over 2 million soul memory? Trying before Throne Watcher & Defender/Nashandra/Aldia.
Not much luck.

ElTopo

Banned
The Gulch is garbage, but at least it's short and it doesn't get any worse than that. lol.

I loved the Gutter but the Gulch doesn't bother me too much. They made it easier in Scholars, if you destroy the statues, they stay destroyed. In the original version, if you destroy the statues they come right back if you die or use a bonfire.

zsswimmer

I loved the Gutter but the Gulch doesn't bother me too much. They made it easier in Scholars, if you destroy the statues, they stay destroyed. In the original version, if you destroy the statues they come right back if you die or use a bonfire.
I have the scholar version but Im pretty sure that statues respawned after I died or used a bonfire, had to keep killing them everytime.

Dresden

Why destroy any of the statues? Just sprint to the second bonfire (and use a fragrant branch because they put statues everywhere), then go stomp the Rotten.

jb1234

I'm really not enjoying this at all, compared to Dark Souls. I'm still in the forest area, seven hours of gameplay and there's just too much bullshit, from groups of enemies that attack you at once (even if you try to lure them out) to crappy level design. It's really not all that much fun and just seems punishing for the sake of being punishing. I never got that impression from the other games in the series I've played (and beat).

I'm really not enjoying this at all, compared to Dark Souls. I'm still in the forest area, seven hours of gameplay and there's just too much bullshit, from groups of enemies that attack you at once (even if you try to lure them out) to crappy level design. It's really not all that much fun and just seems punishing for the sake of being punishing. I never got that impression from the other games in the series I've played (and beat).

Like most souls game, the difficulty curve is very high at the start and evens out after you level up a bit. I spent a bit of time just doing the following:

- Leveling up in the forest of fallen giants
- Getting the fire long sword helped a lot as a caster
- Getting the drangleic shield after killing the pursuer.

Which bit in general are you stuck on - have you taken out the first boss? (Giant whatever?)

Soulhouf

Started this on PS4 and I'm very confused. The game feels very weird and lacks impact coming from Bloodborn.
Then I started my PS3 version save file and I immediately felt at home.
Is something wrong with the PS4 version? It really doesn't feel like a FromSoft game to me. It's almost like a generic Western action RPG or something.

It's like I'm playing a completely different game. Really weird...

Manu

I'm trying a shieldless build for the first time, it's so much fun.

Any tips for weapons that scale with STR and DEX?

jb1234

Like most souls game, the difficulty curve is very high at the start and evens out after you level up a bit. I spent a bit of time just doing the following:

- Leveling up in the forest of fallen giants
- Getting the fire long sword helped a lot as a caster
- Getting the drangleic shield after killing the pursuer.

Which bit in general are you stuck on - have you taken out the first boss? (Giant whatever?)

Yeah, since I posted this, it's evened out a bit and No-man's Wharf felt more like DS in terms of difficulty. The Heide tower was bullshit, though. I got a new set of armor but I note it can't be upgraded without twinkling titanite so that will probably be a problem latero n...

Jombie

My biggest gripes with enemy placement in Scholar are Heide's tower and Iron Keep. I hate that the Heide knights aggro after killing the Dragonrider; the one at the entrance will aggro after you rest at the first bonfire. Really dumb. There are just an obnoxious amount of archers in IK now.

I was thinking of making a "pure" pyromancer build, but I don't really understand how it works in DS2. What stats should I be using? Ideally I would use a simple weapon but mostly pyromancy as much as possible.

Manu

My biggest gripes with enemy placement in Scholar are Heide's tower and Iron Keep. I hate that the Heide knights aggro after killing the Dragonrider; the one at the entrance will aggro after you rest at the first bonfire. Really dumb. There are just an obnoxious amount of archers in IK now.

Heide is considerably harder in Scholar. I got wrecked over and over and over.

Kaibutsu

Finished the game this past weekend and thought it was fantastic. While I still prefer the faster paced nature of Bloodborne there was something really satisfying about using my King's Shield & Curved Dragon Greatsword to wreck fools. The one thing that pissed me off though is I messed up my opportunity for the platinum trophy (the only trophies I'm missing are the 4 spell collecting ones) by fucking up the Royal Sorcerer Navlaan quest line.
I let the dumb ass out because I spoke to him when I was human and didn't know there was an assassination questline if I had kept him locked up while I was hollow
. I didn't mind his
constant invasions the rest of the game, I killed him everytime,
but not being able to get those two spells pissed me off to no end. I finally went back and killed him after I finished the game.

Kaibutsu

Sun Sword is the weapon I have the most fun with. Best moveset in game. A/A scaling.

Yeah after I got the Sun Sword I used that pretty much the rest of the game until I got the Curved Dragon Greatsword. The scaling on the Sun Sword made it my most deadly weapon for a good part of the game

Tarkus

Recommending the Cursed Bone Shield for those who like to parry. Good stats but hard to get. Has the best small shield parry animation and good attributes and stats. Decent in defense too.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I never played OG Dark Souls 2 but I never found Heide all that difficult, and it was the second area I visited (right after Forest of Fallen Giants). I've seen multiple people say it was really hard but I just don't get it.

Maridia

I never played OG Dark Souls 2 but I never found Heide all that difficult, and it was the second area I visited (right after Forest of Fallen Giants). I've seen multiple people say it was really hard but I just don't get it.

I'm assuming you just killed the
Dragonrider (or maybe took on the other one first?). There are two bosses in Heide, and, once you've killed the Dragonrider, getting to the second one is a bitch.

Manu

Reposting what I said on the controversial opinion thread:

I'm replaying Dark Souls 2 and I'll say this: it's the most fun of the Souls games.

Sure, the others are better at world and creature design, have better atmosphere, better lore, but 2 is just so goddamn FUN to play.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm assuming you just killed the
Dragonrider (or maybe took on the other one first?). There are two bosses in Heide, and, once you've killed the Dragonrider, getting to the second one is a bitch.

I killed both. Getting to the second boss wasn't too bad, there's only like 10 enemies total you have to get through and if you go carefully you can make it without too much trouble.

I enjoy DkS2 more than DkS1 by a long shot. Haven't played it in a while though. Need to finish up Drangleic Castle one of these days.

Erevador

Had never played Dark Souls II, though I have loved Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Just picked up Scholar of the First Sin and was foolhardy enough to jump in as the Deprived class (I wanted to really get a good custom warrior/magic build).

God, I am getting murdered...

I just can't get thru to the 3rd bonfire in shrine of amana. It's way too fucking difficult. I've even tried just running thru the enemies and I still get murdered.ive watched about it 10 walkthroughs and nothing is helping. This could just be the give up point me for as I can't afford to keep spending hours here and human effigies for zero movement forward

Fuck i wish I could just go play dark souls 2 on consoles with the graphics and frame rate bump. Sotfs has just killed every bit of enjoyment for me in this game. They didn't just make it harder, they have made it impossible for casters to have any fun whatsoever in this build.

Maridia

At long last, took the (50 - 66%)
Smelter Demon out solo. The boss wasn't so much the problem as the run from the bonfire to its chamber. One of the most arduous areas in a game I've played recently, right up there with the bone snake hellfarm in Castlevania 3 (of course, I haven't cleared that yet, and those enemies don't disappear...) and immensely satisfying.

I love this game.

Renewed my Xbox live for the first time in months. If anyone wants to play give me a shout. I've done a large amount of the game just never played online. All these bloodstains are crazy!

GT: TommyTosser

Top Bottom