• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

jb1234

The Iron Keep is absolute bullshit. Even putting aside the Smelter Demon (who I still can't beat), it took me hours to get to the final bonfire and most of that was me gritting my teeth from the endless mobs and falling randomly into lava. Who designed this shit?

Seanspeed

Banned
The Iron Keep is absolute bullshit. Even putting aside the Smelter Demon (who I still can't beat), it took me hours to get to the final bonfire and most of that was me gritting my teeth from the endless mobs and falling randomly into lava. Who designed this shit?
Get the Gyrm Greatshield for the Smelter Demon. It's the only way I could do it. If you don't, you basically need to be flawless in your dodging throughout the whole fight, which is obviously difficult.

Manu

After all the terrible things I heard about Iron Keep in this version it was surprisingly easier than I expected. The mobs are manageable if you know what you're doing.

aravuus

Looks like I could get the upgrade from DkS2 to SotFS for 10 euros. How's the online population? I'm fine with soloing some stuff, but I'd rather run around with a bunch of helpers all the time and return the favor by helping others.

Xiraiya

Looks like I could get the upgrade from DkS2 to SotFS for 10 euros. How's the online population? I'm fine with soloing some stuff, but I'd rather run around with a bunch of helpers all the time and return the favor by helping others.

I don't know about the online stuff but so far I feel like the upgrade is worth it for Offline content alone, so many new things have been throwing me for a loop.

Ultrabum

Just today I did 2 co op bosses and got invaded once. There are lots of messages and bloodstains as well.

~Kinggi~

Banned
How are the dlc incorporated into the game? I never played Dark Souls 2 vanilla and am contemplating picking this up. I hear a lot of complaints of this being impossibly hard though.

Maridia

How are the dlc incorporated into the game? I never played Dark Souls 2 vanilla and am contemplating picking this up. I hear a lot of complaints of this being impossibly hard though.

There are three keys hidden throughout the game that can be used to open the doors that lead to the DLC areas.

And thanks, SourShoes!

Tarkus

New player here.

I'm too scared of fucking something up to level up stats. Should I go google a build or should I say fuck it and just jump in?
If you fuck up, you can use a Soul Vessel to respec.

Read up on the stats to get an idea of what you want. Pick melee or magic to level until you figure it out. Then respec to whatever. I like quality/hex hybrid.

Ultrabum

New player here.

I'm too scared of fucking something up to level up stats. Should I go google a build or should I say fuck it and just jump in?

Just jump in, unless u are doing super competitive pvp, stats don't matter that much. and you can reset and reallocate all your stats by simply using an item called a soul vessel for no penalty. (As posted above).

jb1234

Get the Gyrm Greatshield for the Smelter Demon. It's the only way I could do it. If you don't, you basically need to be flawless in your dodging throughout the whole fight, which is obviously difficult.

Yeah, I eventually got that shield, returned and killed it (although the battle was still challenging even with the shield). Revenge is so, so sweet.

After all the terrible things I heard about Iron Keep in this version it was surprisingly easier than I expected. The mobs are manageable if you know what you're doing.

I had a hell of a time with it. I eventually ended up making sure the first half of the level's enemies couldn't respawn and then, faced the challenge of the second half, which was difficult but for different reasons. The end boss gave me troubles there too. I'm just glad the area is over with.

I'm doing the Shaded Woods path now and it's been significantly easier, one asshole oversized rat aside.

Got the Kings ring last night, felt like a champ after defeating
Velstadt
still need to defeat the smelter demon and the old iron king but shits hard when you're a melee only tank dude

Houndi101

Got the Kings ring last night, felt like a champ after defeating
Velstadt
still need to defeat the smelter demon and the old iron king but shits hard when you're a melee only tank dude
Welp not good to hear, hopefully i'm gonna have people to co-op with to get through this stuff

aravuus

Goddamn it, I can't remember what starting class I went with when I played a DEX/INT character. Two-handing a scimitar, rolling around and occasionally throwing soul spears around was goddamn great.

Or maybe I should go with a completely new build. I wonder if a double caestus + sorcery build would be fun.

e: also, can the ring that lets me keep my souls and humanity on death still be found in no-man's wharf? Risky builds are more fun if I can actually take a lot of risks without losing stuff

Manu

Thank you Agdayne's Kilt for being the perfect last piece for my character's look.

QpKcfI0.jpg

I'm going on 3 weeks holidays then I'll try tackle shrine of amana again. I think the only way to get passed it is to kill every enemy 15x each so they don't respawn. I'm getting stunlocked to death by those creeps in the water then shot by the magician guys.

I never had this many problems in the original game so I don't know why this is so hard.

I've already started making the weapons for my respec character to do the dlc with but I need souls to get mats to sort it out and level up.

I honestly wished they just did the resolution and fps fix and changed nothing else. Pretty much every change they made to me has been for the worse.

grave_danger

Neo Member
Okay so this game has me completely frustrated as hell.

I have never played a Souls game before, but I did buy Bloodborne last month and just recently beat it on NG+. It was a sublime experience that I rank as one of my top gaming experiences in the past 10 years. Challenging as hell, but ultimately extremely rewarding and I felt myself improve over the course of game. Having enjoyed BB so much, I purchased this PS4 version of Dark Souls....I think that was a mistake.

I've beaten the first boss, after mild frustration (boss was easy, normal enemies not so much) and learning that I had accidently accepted a covenant that made the game even harder. Turned that off, things seemed to improve.

Now I am on my way to fighting the 2nd boss, or going to the Tower of Flame. The normal enemies in the Tower of Flame area are insane. Shit takes forever to kill and will fuck you up in about two hits. Dodging seems ineffective (unlike in BB) and my my guy feels like controlling a dude made out of lead. Killing the 2nd boss (knight dude) is also a pain in the ass. Just getting to him every time is a challenge (two pikers by one door, explosive barrels by the other).

Anyway, I am sure that is all adjusting to combat mechanics, but what really pisses me off is the healing/health situation. Seriously, I am basically playing the game at 50% health because I don't have any more effigies. I loved that in Bloodborne, you died and had to work your way back, but holy fuck I can't believe the penalty for dying. I die. A lot. Also, I basically only have 1 or 2 potions at this point. It's like playing Bloodborne on super handicapped difficulty. Overall, everything just feels chunky and.....obtuse. Animations take forever, parrying seems like a guessing game, and enemies do massive damage.

I am wondering if I should delete my save and just start over as a new character type, or maybe just sell the game, because I ruined myself by playing Bloodborne first :)

Dresden

Just restart and start a dude who can use strike weapons, like maces. Early on - especially if you're relatively new to Souls titles - that'll make a big difference, as the game heavily favors that damage type. Also look up Agility for dks2, so that you know the i-frame breakpoints.

Manu

I have never played a Souls game before, but I did buy Bloodborne last month and just recently beat it on NG+. It was a sublime experience that I rank as one of my top gaming experiences in the past 10 years. Challenging as hell, but ultimately extremely rewarding and I felt myself improve over the course of game. Having enjoyed BB so much, I purchased this PS4 version of Dark Souls....I think that was a mistake.

Your first mistake is tackling the game as if you were playing Bloodborne. While they're very similar, the approach to combat of each game is radically different. Dark Souls is all about picking enemies one by one.

Also, if you've only beaten the first boss in the game, there's another boss you can kill in the Forest of Fallen Giants before going to Heide, which is gonna be really hard at your current level. Actually, Heide is so hard, that the game gets considerably easier once you get past it.

My suggestion would be to start over, you should be able to get to the point where you are right now pretty quickly.

grave_danger

Neo Member
Cool, thanks for the suggestions. Turns out the armor I was wearing was really slowing me down (that turtle looking armor). I can get the pursuer dude down to about 50% now, but I am really being hindered by only having half health.

If I was to re-roll, I would definitely try to build the most mobile guy possible. Looks like you can only really get one hit anyway and have to spend the rest of your life dodging :D

jb1234

Cool, thanks for the suggestions. Turns out the armor I was wearing was really slowing me down (that turtle looking armor). I can get the pursuer dude down to about 50% now, but I am really being hindered by only having half health.

If I was to re-roll, I would definitely try to build the most mobile guy possible. Looks like you can only really get one hit anyway and have to spend the rest of your life dodging :D

There's a ring in the Heide Tower which will help you out a lot, if you're willing to make a suicide run for it. It limits the health degradation from death to 75%. I also had a really rough time with the opening to the game.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I hadn't played any Souls game until a couple weeks ago when I got DS1 on sale. Have sunk 200 hours into it since, gotten all the achievements and have beaten it about 5 times over. I had my doubts about the franchise going into it but now easily place it in my top 10 games ever made.

Got DS2 on Steam sale this week and started it up today and after just a few hours my heart is starting to sink. Something about the feel of this game, be it the loose character movement or the way the camera seems to just act lazy just doesn't feel right compared to the first game. I'm also really irritated with some of the design choices right off the bat, like the degrading health, absurd fall damage, item limits from vendors, and the fact that so many enemies are "playing dead" and need to be woken up before you can attack them.

Hoping it will just take a few more hours to develop a feel for this game but first impressions are so, so bad.

EUA

Holy fuck I've done it. I can't believe I have done it. It was a torturous, harrowing experience. I would never do something like this again.

D38D7C354494BB7E2041290E761AA21BCA97801A

Yet so satisfying.

I can finally embrace peace.

Manu

Hoping it will just take a few more hours to develop a feel for this game but first impressions are so, so bad.

The feeling of something being "off" will never go away, but the game does get much better later on.

EDIT: Also, holy shit SL1 runs. I don't think I have it in me to even attempt one.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Man, it's been ages since I last played this game. I should probably pick it up soon. Hopefully the Steam sale brought an influx of new people to the game to co-op with.

aravuus

So I've been reading that Dex isn't as viable as it was in DS1. Is this true? If so then shit lol.

I've had no problems with a DEX build (two-handed a scimitar for most of the game), and I'm not a particularly good player or anything like that, but I can't really compare to DkS1. I've never done a pure DEX build in that game.

Pursuer is very easy when you know the trick. Have him run up to you and charge. Roll diagonally towards him. Run to the ballista, do NOT lock on or even face him. Use the ballista twice in quick succession, he will be dead in less than 20s.

Drop down and get the drangleic armour and shield and you will be happy.

Roubjon

I started playing this last week and I'm addicted to it. I played the shit out of demon's souls as well as dark souls when they were first released but waited on this one after hearing about the graphical downgrade in hopes it would get remastered or something. I kinda got what I wanted with the PS4 version so when the game dropped to 40 bucks I snagged it.

Omg it feels so good to be back in souls world. Sure the game doesn't seem as clever as Dark Souls 1 with the enemy placement or the world structure, but that doesn't mean it's any less fun. But holy crap I was stuck at that early boss fight with
those 3 tall and slim knights
for like 6 hours because I had 2 fucking estus flask uses and no healing items and a shitty weapon. But after that it has been smooth sailing and I basically two shot everything with my Str build dude.

I'm loving it and the best part is that after I exhaust this game I can just buy Bloodborne and go into that. I purposely waited to play it because I wanted to experience Dark Souls II first.

Manu

Holy shit, just beat the boss trio from Sunken Crown. I tried with ghosts and was doing too little damage. Ended up soloing them.

The time I ended up winning I almost died to
discount Havel
but somehow I survived and won. That tension.

EDIT: Such a well designed level too. Up there with the Artorias of the Abyss DLC.

aravuus

Is there even MORE mobs in this version? At the big sticking sword thing close to the first boss not just one enemy tried to ambush me from above, but FOUR. It's kind of an overkill and, after playing BB between DkS2 original and this, some of the flaws I didn't mind before are starting to get a bit more apparent...

Still enjoying my dex/int build, though, even if I keep forgetting to use the knife. The spells are just too good.

e: excited to finally give the DLC content a try

zsswimmer

Is there even MORE mobs in this version? At the big sticking sword thing close to the first boss not just one enemy tried to ambush me from above, but FOUR. It's kind of an overkill and, after playing BB between DkS2 original and this, some of the flaws I didn't mind before are starting to get a bit more apparent...

Still enjoying my dex/int build, though, even if I keep forgetting to use the knife. The spells are just too good.

e: excited to finally give the DLC content a try

Yes I think scholar changes not only certain arrangements of enemies but also the number of them in specific places.

Cause iron keep seemed like it had a lot more knights with bows than I remember on the 360 version

MG310

Yes I think scholar changes not only certain arrangements of enemies but also the number of them in specific places.

Cause iron keep seemed like it had a lot more knights with bows than I remember on the 360 version

IIRC they added 2 regular knights that use bows in addition to the 3 captains. Though they do go a little easier on you on the interior bridge since the Captain is no longer on the rooftop. Of course they also filled in that little jump on that side of the bridge so you can end up fighting 2 bow Captains and 3 regular knights when you drop off that side of the bridge.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I was kinda disappointed in this the first day of playing it, but getting a controller mod to fix the weird-feeling analog stick dead zone made it feel so much better. I'm having a total blast with the co-op too which is a big difference from DS1 which I played 100% solo, not even summoning NPCs to help. The changes they made to the co-op in this game feel really smart, like letting you use your white soapstone while hollow and then making you human for completing your duty. There's so much incentive to help people out!

Manu

Yeah it's a bitch. The boss fights are better in the other DLCs. Old Iron King is great.

Well, I just got the bitch. Ended up ignoring the Velstadt clone and just going after her.

By the way, it's Sunken King > Iron King > Ivory King, right?

Tarkus

Well, I just got the bitch. Ended up ignoring the Velstadt clone and just going after her.

By the way, it's Sunken King > Iron King > Ivory King, right?
In difficulty: Iron > Sunken > Ivory

In quality: All equal. Sir Alonne and Fume are the most fun though. They're both in Iron King.

Top Bottom