• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

flowsnake

Power stance is for dual-wielding. You hold triangle to do it if you meet the stat requirements and the weapons work together.

It gives you a different moveset where you attack with both weapons at once.

Didn't play this game for 2 weeks :/

Had a 2 hour session today and I started No-Man's Wharf which was a very, very poor version of Valley of the Defilement 5-1 (with a shortcut that is a 1:1 copy of 5-2 shortcut).

And that boss... LOL. His hits barely damaged me (700 armor). I was just standing and meleeing him not giving a fuck about rolling or blocking. Doesn't help that I killed this guy roaming Sinner's Rise before I met him AS A BOSS. ROTFL.

And it is my worst luck ever that NMW was the last area I went into because it had the goddamn Sorcerer selling spells and staff + the goddamn Dwarf that is buying stuff from you. God damn. After 50 hours of playtime I found the Sorcerer!
And the Pyromancy Flame! First you let me rescue a seller that sells Pyromancy spells only to let me find the Pyromancy Flame 15 hours later. God damn this game.

Now it's Tseldora time. Time to get rid of that Spider infestation ;)

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
i just realised - i have never done a guard break and i never knew they existed. Where in the game does it tell you how to do it?
it's in the tutorial somewhere, but they don't really focus on it

it's like doing a kick in Dark Souls. Tap forward + light attack. if you hit somebody when they have their shield up you stagger them and you can then do a riposte.

Also, i understand that pressing triangle makes you 2 hand your weapon - is that the same as power stance because i havent seen that explained either.

Pressing triangle makes you 2 hand your right-hand weapon. Holding triangle makes you 2-hand your left hand weapon. If you're dual-wielding, and you have 1.5x the strength and dex stats required to use each weapon, holding triangle instead makes you drop into power stance. This gives you unique dual-wield attacks where you swing both weapons at once.

Zakkath

Every single summon is timing out right now. Anyone else having this issue ? (PS4)

Edit : Hmmm. I closed the game and restarded it and it worked. Weird.

tesqui

I have original DS2 and all DLC. Is this worth getting for 20 bucks? I was either going to start NG+ with og DS2, or get this.

MG310

Every single summon is timing out right now. Anyone else having this issue ? (PS4)

Edit : Hmmm. I closed the game and restarded it and it worked. Weird.

Yeah, seems like the same thing that happens with Bloodborne where you can't summon if you put the PS4 into rest mode without closing the application first.

pa22word

I have original DS2 and all DLC. Is this worth getting for 20 bucks? I was either going to start NG+ with og DS2, or get this.

Are you upgrading from 7th gen to 8th gen or PC to PC? If the latter, no it's not really worth it at $20 (most of the stuff in scholar is regurgitated from NG+, anyways). If the former, it definitely is--especially if you're coming from the dreadful PS3 versions framerate...

I finally got to the area where the big scorpion guy is where you wear the ring of whispers. The problem is there are at least 4 things requiring a branch of yore and I have zero.

I'm completely stuck here as I can't find any and I can't unlock that guy to get the fang key either.

I decided to head down to the pit and I remember how much I hate this area. I remember dark souls 2 going really down hill from here...

Why did they put so many statues in this version of the game?? These never used to be there and they really don't give you enough to unlock everything.

Xiraiya

It depends, if you just want to experience the game and you don't care about online and things like that then it's not really necessary, you lose things like pre-order starting items since you're playing a separate install of the game, but they're obtainable elsewhere in-game anyway.

However if you want to really dive into the game and get way into it, enemy placement and online features are extended/enhanced in the DX11 version of the game further beyond the original version even with the free update.

Also DX9 players don't share the same online environment as the DX11 players, and of course you get all the nice new lighting effects which are pretty significant and impressive honestly.

If anything I'd say only bother getting it while the upgrade is on sale.

My only complaint is I wish the upgrade turned my original version of DSII into the SOTFS version and overrode the installation (While keeping my extra stuff from pre-ordering) rather than being a completely new installation you can download whenever, having both in my library with SEPARATE achievements is toying with my OCD a little bit.

tumblr_nphilu6t3Z1sk3o1to4_1280.png

tumblr_nphilu6t3Z1sk3o1to7_1280.png
I'm pretty happy that I got it, minor gripes aside.

Made some great progress tonight :)

1. Upgraded Mace to +10
2. Upgraded Drangleic Armor to +4
3. Killed the Spider Boss, lo & behold he was a "primal" demon.

He killed me twice. Once because my Mace got broken in the middle of the fight because of killing all the Spiders before him. I switched to the Fire Sword +0 but uhh... i was hitting him for 102 dmg (vs 500 with the Mace) and was not ready to wield the weapon at all (DEX). Lost 20k Souls as well :(

So after that I just bolted straight to the boss not giving a f*ck about the 100 spiders chasing me. Of course they entered the boss arena immediately after I killed him! :D

Those plus all the ones he summoned during the fight! I was running in circles for the whole fight not even focusing on the little ones so there were like 8 chasing me around plus 8 entered thru the fog door when the boss collapsed... I barely, *BARELY* got alive and kept my 45k Souls! Intense!

4. Found the Huntsmans Copse! By total accident - I wanted to check if I have the device to unlock the contraption mechanism... lo & behold the Cleric Lady is there selling Miracles!
5. So now I can finally buy: Spells, Hexes, Miracles and Pyromancy!
6. Just noticed that Rats in Pharos drop Pharos Lockstones!!! Gonna farm them tomorrow! Need to open so many Pharos Faces... I counted 12.
7. I want to use that Black Knight Ultra Greatsword found in Tseldora. OMG. PURE SEX.

It's amazing what is the order of my playthrough:

The Last Giant --> The Pursuer --> Scorpioness Naja --> Ruin Sentinel --> Dragonrider --> Belfry Gargoyles --> The Clerics & The Undead --> Rat King --> Flexible Sentry (lol so damn easy) --> Spider Boss Freja (so far).

I charted No-Man's Wharf after 20 hours and started Huntsman Corpse after 25 hours. The enemies there cannot even touch/ hurt me! Feeling OP, it can be spell my doom, hehe.

Playing the game blindly is awesome. Too bad I remember Huntsman Copse from the Network Beta YouTube videos :(

Made some great progress tonight :)

1. Upgraded Mace to +10
2. Upgraded Drangleic Armor to +4
3. Killed the Spider Boss, lo & behold he was a "primal" demon.

He killed me twice. Once because my Mace got broken in the middle of the fight because of killing all the Spiders before him. I switched to the Fire Sword +0 but uhh... i was hitting him for 102 dmg (vs 500 with the Mace) and was not ready to wield the weapon at all (DEX). Lost 20k Souls as well :(

So after that I just bolted straight to the boss not giving a f*ck about the 100 spiders chasing me. Of course they entered the boss arena immediately after I killed him! :D

Those plus all the ones he summoned during the fight! I was running in circles for the whole fight not even focusing on the little ones so there were like 8 chasing me around plus 8 entered thru the fog door when the boss collapsed... I barely, *BARELY* got alive and kept my 45k Souls! Intense!

4. Found the Huntsmans Copse! By total accident - I wanted to check if I have the device to unlock the contraption mechanism... lo & behold the Cleric Lady is there selling Miracles!
5. So now I can finally buy: Spells, Hexes, Miracles and Pyromancy!
6. Just noticed that Rats in Pharos drop Pharos Lockstones!!! Gonna farm them tomorrow! Need to open so many Pharos Faces... I counted 12.
7. I want to use that Black Knight Ultra Greatsword found in Tseldora. OMG. PURE SEX.

It's amazing what is the order of my playthrough:

The Last Giant --> The Pursuer --> Scorpioness Naja --> Ruin Sentinel --> Dragonrider --> Belfry Gargoyles --> The Clerics & The Undead --> Rat King --> Flexible Sentry (lol so damn easy) --> Spider Boss Freja (so far).

I charted No-Man's Wharf after 20 hours and started Huntsman Corpse after 25 hours. The enemies there cannot even touch/ hurt me! Feeling OP, it can be spell my doom, hehe.

Playing the game blindly is awesome. Too bad I remember Huntsman Copse from the Network Beta YouTube videos :(
Don't waste your lock stones in the pit.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
So after playing the vanilla Version (PC) on release and not having played any of the DLCs nor having the Scholar of the First Sin yet, how are the DLCs and SotFS in general compared to the vanilla version?
I'll probably get it next week on the steam summer sale.

Ok I just beat the rotten, old iron king and a few more bosses. I saw what I think are the entrances to the dlc areas next to each of those primal bonfires... Do I just click examine on those to enter the dlc or do I need other keys/items as well?

I'm watching videos of havel mages with massive weapons. Are these guys soul duping or something? I don't see how they can have that many levels in magic, strength, health, endurance and equip load.

Tarkus

I'm watching videos of havel mages with massive weapons. Are these guys soul duping or something? I don't see how they can have that many levels in magic, strength, health, endurance and equip load.
If you host and/or participate in fight clubs, you'll have a million souls in no time and 99 effigies.

Tarkus

Yeah I don't do pvp or multiplayer. I can't stand when people invade my game since my character is not setup for duels (magic based)
You don't have to duel, just watch. Just keep summoning people on the Iron Keep Threshold bridge. If you don't have a weapon in your hand then most people will know you're hosting. Throw down some prism stones and it'll be obvious.

There's plenty of mages that are great at PvP.

Hey Phat Michael - you did beat the OG game on PS3, right? Can you tell me what are the differences between OG and SOTFS? Like in enemy placement in No-Man's Wharf or Shaded Woods for example?

I never played OG DaS2 so I have no comparison :( Bosses are the same, right?

Time to man up and enter Sinner's Rise... I hate that place. Gonna crawl inch by inch and if necessary extinct every enemy on the way to boss fog door. Fuck this dank and gloomy place.

Hey Phat Michael - you did beat the OG game on PS3, right? Can you tell me what are the differences between OG and SOTFS? Like in enemy placement in No-Man's Wharf or Shaded Woods for example?

I never played OG DaS2 so I have no comparison :( Bosses are the same, right?

yeah ive finished all the souls games

Like...there are new enemies in pretty much every level so it's hard to point those two out. I didnt notice much difference in No Mans Wharf - but i noticed shaded woods doesnt have that huge basilisk thing anymore.

You will notice loads of new dudes in Heides Tower of Flame

Loads of areas now blocked by statues so you need a fragrant branch of yore when before you didnt.

Cost to repair the ring which keeps your souls and breaks has gone from 3,000 souls to 14,000 souls.

magic is now pretty shit

Miracles (lightning particularly) is now completely useless - lightning spear gives you 4-5 charges and great lightning spear i think 3. They also have massive start up times now.

The central game is pretty similar but they have made it pretty much less fun in every way to me. Just note, i dont do PVP unless someone invades and i havent started teh DLC yet.

The positives are it's smooth, 1080P and 60FPS and the lighting looks better...but i prefer the old spells and weapons.

For fuck sakes.

I died fighting ancient dragon, and now there's a fog gate. Unfortunately, the steps up to it are now coated with enemies who are as fast as I am. Either I kill them all and have no spells left to kill the dragon, or I run to the fog gate and get knifed before I make it through.

Is there an easier way?

For fuck sakes.

I died fighting ancient dragon, and now there's a fog gate. Unfortunately, the steps up to it are now coated with enemies who are as fast as I am. Either I kill them all and have no spells left to kill the dragon, or I run to the fog gate and get knifed before I make it through.

Is there an easier way?

Yeah i used to lure them away then sprint to it. THe other way is obviously to kill all enemies 15x so they dont respawn.

To this day, that is the only boss fight in any souls game i couldnt finish. Such a pain in the arse. If this is the one you get the item from where you can enter the dreams then yes, i hated that fight.

For fuck sakes.

Is there an easier way?

none of these enemies attacked me for some reason

MG310

Time to man up and enter Sinner's Rise... I hate that place. Gonna crawl inch by inch and if necessary extinct every enemy on the way to boss fog door. Fuck this dank and gloomy place.

To me it felt way easier in Scholar of the First Sin than it did in the original.

ive never used "magic weapon" spells - can you use them if you have infused your weapon to begin with?

im still rocking the fire longsword ive had all game since im primarily a caster....

Also, i got the Staff of Wisdom MUCH earlier in this game than i did in the previous ps3 version (its normally in the dragon area) - i still need 50 int to use it though... :/

I really miss my old spellsword build rocking a Magic Staff of Wisdom +5 in my left hand and a magic moonlight greatsword +5 in my right hand. THat build was just so bad ass when i had 80 int....

Yeah i used to lure them away then sprint to it. THe other way is obviously to kill all enemies 15x so they dont respawn.

To this day, that is the only boss fight in any souls game i couldnt finish. Such a pain in the arse. If this is the one you get the item from where you can enter the dreams then yes, i hated that fight.

Jesus.

This is my complaint with scholar. The new enemy placements, some of them make it impossible to defeat certain bosses with magic unless you have the patience and time to defeat the lead up guys 15 god damn times. This isn't what dark souls is about to me, it's about discovering that one safe route to a boss in order to save your sanity.

Tarkus

ive never used "magic weapon" spells - can you use them if you have infused your weapon to begin with?
Yes and they're best used with the same sort of infusion. For example, Dark Weapon gets you (weapon's original dark damage + 50) x 1.25. Duration is 99 seconds with 24 INT. I don't use the other elemental buffs except for Flame Weapon, but I'm pretty sure they all work the same.

gogosox82

im still rocking the fire longsword ive had all game since im primarily a caster....

Also, i got the Staff of Wisdom MUCH earlier in this game than i did in the previous ps3 version (its normally in the dragon area) - i still need 50 int to use it though... :/

I really miss my old spellsword build rocking a Magic Staff of Wisdom +5 in my left hand and a magic moonlight greatsword +5 in my right hand. THat build was just so bad ass when i had 80 int....

Its actually better to use an infusion because of the way the damage scales. For example, dark weapon adds 50 dark damage plus 1.25 x whatever dark damage your weapon has. So if you have something like the roaring halberd which has 277 dark damage when infused with dark, you'll add 50 plus 1.25 of the 277 dark damage the roaring halberd has (it basically ends up being around 400 dark damage). So the infusion takes a weapon that does around 520 damage with no infusions to a weapon that does about 660 damage with infusions when your using dark weapon.

edit: I should note that it works this way for all buffing spells. So this applies to sunlight blade, crystal magic weapon, great magic weapon, flame weapon, etc.

Yes and they're best used with the same sort of infusion. For example, Dark Weapon gets you (weapon's original dark damage + 50) x 1.25. Duration is 99 seconds with 24 INT. I don't use the other elemental buffs except for Flame Weapon, but I'm pretty sure they all work the same.

Its actually better to use an infusion because of the way the damage scales. For example, dark weapon adds 50 dark damage plus 1.25 x whatever dark damage your weapon has. So if you have something like the roaring halberd which has 277 dark damage when infused with dark, you'll add 50 plus 1.25 of the 277 dark damage the roaring halberd has (it basically ends up being around 400 dark damage). So the infusion takes a weapon that does around 520 damage with no infusions to a weapon that does about 660 damage with infusions when your using dark weapon.

edit: I should note that it works this way for all buffing spells. So this applies to sunlight blade, crystal magic weapon, great magic weapon, flame weapon, etc.

i think i need a new weapon....

Currently im a mage so i still have my fire longsword. I think when im about done with the game and ready to do the DLC i might completely respec and get a dark infused halberd of some sort and use dark weapon and maybe equip some drangleic armour which seems pretty good.

can you actually finish the game and then do the DLC before going to the bonfire in majula to go to NG+?

Tarkus

Currently im a mage so i still have my fire longsword. I think when im about done with the game and ready to do the DLC i might completely respec and get a dark infused halberd of some sort and use dark weapon and maybe equip some drangleic armour which seems pretty good.

can you actually finish the game and then do the DLC before going to the bonfire in majula to go to NG+?
I think Flame scales with INT and FTH as well as Dark. The DLC is highly magic resistant. Keep you FTH and INT the same if you're using flame or dark

If you're asking if you can go to Majula without automatically starting NG+, then yes. There is an option to start it whenever you talk to her. Just don't select it. I'm currently trying to finish Crown of the Iron King, and once I do, it's NG+ for me.

If you're asking if you can go to Majula without automatically starting NG+, then yes. There is an option to start it whenever you talk to her. Just don't select it. I'm currently trying to finish Crown of the Iron King, and once I do, it's NG+ for me.
Yep that I knew, was just making sure I could do the dlc after killing the final boss.

MUnited83

For you.
About to start the game for the first time. Strenght build or Dex build? My type of play on Dark Souls was a strenght build with light armor.

About to start the game for the first time. Strenght build or Dex build? My type of play on Dark Souls was a strenght build with light armor.

I always have more fun with strength. Plus there's a club you can get almost right away that has A strength scaling. I still use it towards endgame for pvp since it's quick.

I just started playing this on PS4 the other day. I am curious why the blacksmith never has anything of mine to repair. I got a message saying that my Broadsword was in danger of breaking, but then I'm told there is nothing to repair. Am I doing some wrong?

I just started playing this on PS4 the other day. I am curious why the blacksmith never has anything of mine to repair. I got a message saying that my Broadsword was in danger of breaking, but then I'm told there is nothing to repair. Am I doing some wrong?

Your weapons durability is reset when you rest at bonfires. If you let a weapon break then the blacksmith can fix it.

gogosox82

Yes you can. You actually have to choose to to to ng+ before it happens.

Just an fyi, dlc is notorious for being a pain for casters. A lot of enemies have a ton of magical resistance. Just something to consider before doing to dlc.

Malouf2024 said:
Fume Knight. Son of a bitch.

Yeah he's a pain. If
you wear Velstadt's helm, he'll immediately go into his second form and
people find it easier to fight him that way.
You can also roll through his aoe attack when he puts his sword into the ground. Just roll out of the way of the explosion and then roll through the orbs.
Keep at it, you get him eventually.

Fume Knight. Son of a bitch.

Don't me ask me how, but I just beat him solo as a pure Mage with no shield.

Now, the smelter magic demon and sir alonne? No chance. Can't do enough damage to either. Suppose I'll have to respec.

Is it just me, or is the dlc somewhat Mage unfriendly? Im debating just totally turning into a rapier wielding type.

Yes you can. You actually have to choose to to to ng+ before it happens.

Just an fyi, dlc is notorious for being a pain for casters. A lot of enemies have a ton of magical resistance. Just something to consider before doing to dlc.

Yes I realise, that's why i was asking. I think i have to finish the game then use a soul vessel, get some new gear and attempt the DLC which is pretty stupid when you come to think of it.

I dont think there is any area where Melee attacks dont work - so why are there areas (i.e. shaded woods - and the DLC) where magic is completely ineffective?

gogosox82

Yes I realise, that's why i was asking. I think i have to finish the game then use a soul vessel, get some new gear and attempt the DLC which is pretty stupid when you come to think of it.

I dont think there is any area where Melee attacks dont work - so why are there areas (i.e. shaded woods - and the DLC) where magic is completely ineffective?

Yeah its dumb. I mean there's nerfing something and then there's what from soft did to magic. Really miss my war cleric build. Was so fun chucking lighting spears at everything and then they just nerfed it into the ground. Sad times :(

see5harp

Don't me ask me how, but I just beat him solo as a pure Mage with no shield.

Now, the smelter magic demon and sir alonne? No chance. Can't do enough damage to either. Suppose I'll have to respec.

Is it just me, or is the dlc somewhat Mage unfriendly? Im debating just totally turning into a rapier wielding type.

Currently doing the underground city and yea. I was able to get to the first boss solo but it was painstakingly long. I literally had to creep my way through every section. I'm now at this huge dragon and I don't know if I'll be able to beat this as a caster.

Yeah its dumb. I mean there's nerfing something and then there's what from soft did to magic. Really miss my war cleric build. Was so fun chucking lighting spears at everything and then they just nerfed it into the ground. Sad times :(
My fave build too :(. Lightning mastodon halberd in my right hand, lightning archdrake chime in my left. Lighting spear, great lightning spear and great resonant soul... It was such a sick build but now it's just pointless...

I'm not sure about Alonne, but the Smelter Demon takes more damage from dark spells. Switch to using those.

Dark Souls 2 definitely seems to make rolling a pure mage harder. But I think this is to balance how magic is so much more effective in some other areas of the game.

I'm not sure about Alonne, but the Smelter Demon takes more damage from dark spells. Switch to using those.

Dark Souls 2 definitely seems to make rolling a pure mage harder. But I think this is to balance how magic is so much more effective in some other areas of the game.

Regrettably, the only staff I have with any upgrades is the staff of wisdom, which has served me well. Sigh. Guess I'll have to go looking and while I'm at it, find some hexes.

I found the game far easier as a swordsman tbh. Magic was killer in demon and dark 1, but I've not found that here.

Edit: managed to defeat aava, simply by timing dodges and grinding her down. Took nearly 10 minutes, but after several tries it became easy to dodge most of what she dished out. Found the ivory king not too bad either, having gotten the three extra knights of course. Sunken king DLC is all that remains and this game is finally done.

I have beat dark souls several times but I don't think I'll return to 2. It lacks the same feeling I get from 1, and by God is it ever long.

Regrettably, the only staff I have with any upgrades is the staff of wisdom, which has served me well. Sigh. Guess I'll have to go looking and while I'm at it, find some hexes.

I found the game far easier as a swordsman tbh. Magic was killer in demon and dark 1, but I've not found that here.

Edit: managed to defeat aava, simply by timing dodges and grinding her down. Took nearly 10 minutes, but after several tries it became easy to dodge most of what she dished out. Found the ivory king not too bad either, having gotten the three extra knights of course. Sunken king DLC is all that remains and this game is finally done.

I have beat dark souls several times but I don't think I'll return to 2. It lacks the same feeling I get from 1, and by God is it ever long.
So that means your Int is at +50 so therefore all your other stats will be lower yes?

see5harp

The third boss at the underground city area was absolutely ridiculous. Like three times as hard as the three bosses in Bloodborne, especially if you are a magic user.

Top Bottom