• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Xiraiya

So I've been enjoying the new lighting in Scholars, but I'm torn between being really glad they made it better and the fact it's still busted in so many parts of the game.

aCXCar.png

7yLfdc.png

Whipping out the Torch essentially fixes the way some areas look, the torch creating the need for the torch is just... ridiculous.

It does look nice though.

Well everybody, I've finally completed Scholar of the first sin. All DLC done, all bosses killed. Thanks to the help of GAF, I was able to do it with minimal help from guides. With so many other things to do, I'm going to put off NG+ for a few months. While I think Dark Souls was the better game, I enjoyed this one more.

Good luck to everyone!

Xiraiya

Well everybody, I've finally completed Scholar of the first sin. All DLC done, all bosses killed. Thanks to the help of GAF, I was able to do it with minimal help from guides. With so many other things to do, I'm going to put off NG+ for a few months. While I think Dark Souls was the better game, I enjoyed this one more.

Good luck to everyone!

I can understand that, DS2 has more content, so while it's not as cohesive or solid a game as Dark Souls, the sheer volume of content and updates eventually starts making up for what it lacks in quality.

So I've been enjoying the new lighting in Scholars, but I'm torn between being really glad they made it better and the fact it's still busted in so many parts of the game.

Whipping out the Torch essentially fixes the way some areas look, the torch creating the need for the torch is just... ridiculous.

It does look nice though.

yeah it seems like they just straight up removed lighting from a lot of rooms and areas

Xiraiya

yeah it seems like they just straight up removed lighting from a lot of rooms and areas

SOTFS is half way back to E3 Lighting but it's unfortunate it never fully came back, I always grimmace in Forest Of The Fallen Giants when I see that fucking distant field of flat grass and sprite trees making the edge of the level very obvious to spot (Having the torch out darkens that area quite a bit though)

EDIT: That was... unfortunate, Bruce Lee just invaded my game and as usual the lag was rough but I was getting in good hits until his health would start mysteriously refilling and then eventually when I locked him in a combo his health just stopped moving entirely, so I just ended up force quitting the game.

Hey I am wondering whats the best great sword for strength or dex builds? From what I looked up it appears to indicate the black knight great sword is the best?

So that means your Int is at +50 so therefore all your other stats will be lower yes?

Yeah, I'm level 160 however so I've got a pretty good set up. 40 atonement, 30 adp for the rolls, since I didn't carry a shield until I started the dlc and simply rolled. Health and stamina both at 20 to 25.

MarkusRJR

Random question: Did that patch actually fix the durability bug?

Finally have time to play DS2 but might just pop in the original version if the durability bug isn't fixed, then check out Scholar of the First Sin later.

gogosox82

Hey I am wondering whats the best great sword for strength or dex builds? From what I looked up it appears to indicate the black knight great sword is the best?

Meh, too many requirements just for that sword when you can just use something like the claymore which has lower requirements (20 str, 13 dex compared to 28 str, 20 dex, 8 int, 12 faith for the bkgs) and does just as much damage but maybe I'm biased since I like the claymore. I like the claymore for a 40/40 build, the mastadon greatsword for a str build, and the charred loyce greatsword or the mirrah greatsword for a dex build. I also heard the loyce greatsword is good but fuck going through
the frigid outskirts
to find out if its any good.

Yeah, I'm level 160 however so I've got a pretty good set up. 40 atonement, 30 adp for the rolls, since I didn't carry a shield until I started the dlc and simply rolled. Health and stamina both at 20 to 25.

What is your agility then at ADP? I was told to only get to 100 which i think was like...17. What is it at 30 and how much of a difference does it make?

I never thought the Staff of Wisdom was worth that investment in Int even when i had it. I seemed to do way more damage with Dark orb and i only used soul spear and CSS with the staff of wisdom...

I used this once i got my strength and agility up. it was amazing two-handed for a large chunk of the game for me

Meh, too many requirements just for that sword when you can just use something like the claymore which has lower requirements (20 str, 13 dex compared to 28 str, 20 dex, 8 int, 12 faith for the bkgs) and does just as much damage but maybe I'm biased since I like the claymore. I like the claymore for a 40/40 build, the mastadon greatsword for a str build, and the charred loyce greatsword or the mirrah greatsword for a dex build. I also heard the loyce greatsword is good but fuck going through
the frigid outskirts
to find out if its any good.

Thanks for the info! will check them out :)

Tarkus

The problems with the BKGS are the stamina consumption per swing and the 2 hand moveset sucks. It does do high damage. At 50 STR, 37 DEX, 30 INT, and 30 FTH I'm getting an AR of 576 with fire infusion. My dark Claymore is getting about 509 but the moveset is great.

What is your agility then at ADP? I was told to only get to 100 which i think was like...17. What is it at 30 and how much of a difference does it make?
105 agility is a good stopping point.

The problems with the BKGS are the stamina consumption per swing and the 2 hand moveset sucks. It does do high damage. At 50 STR, 37 DEX, 30 INT, and 30 FTH I'm getting an AR of 576 with fire infusion. My dark Claymore is getting about 509 but the moveset is great.

105 agility is a good stopping point.

What difference will that make between my 100 AGL? like i can roll easier through attacks or something?

that's the problem with my mage - anything put towards stamina, equipment load or vit is going away from Faith, Attunement and Int...so yeah i just dont think i can do this. Yet the point of magic being pointless for the DLC really pisses me off right now.

Tarkus

What difference will that make between my 100 AGL? like i can roll easier through attacks or something?

that's the problem with my mage - anything put towards stamina, equipment load or vit is going away from Faith, Attunement and Int...so yeah i just dont think i can do this. Yet the point of magic being pointless for the DLC really pisses me off right now.
Yes, you get an extra iframe. Same iframes as DS1 fast roll. The next iframe would at 111 agility which is a huge investment.

You could always respec for the DLC to finish them and then revert back. You probably have 10+ Soul Vessels at this point.

Yes, you get an extra iframe. Same iframes as DS1 fast roll. The next iframe would at 111 agility which is a huge investment.

You could always respec for the DLC to finish them and then revert back. You probably have 10+ Soul Vessels at this point.
Yeah I have a few. I'm don't even know what weapon to use for a respec as I've been focused on my chimes and staffs and no real melee weapon at all..

Tarkus

Yeah I have a few. I'm don't even know what weapon to use for a respec as I've been focused on my chimes and staffs and no real melee weapon at all..
Try an ultra greatsword like the Zweihander or the Greatsword. They're easy to use and do big physical damage for the DLCs. The Claymore is fun too. Use the Chloranthy Ring +2 and a Blossom Kite Shield for some accelerated stamina recovery.

see5harp

Yea I made a lightning Zweihander and just have enough strength to wield it, I think min strength is fine. Tears through most enemies in the DLC (even that huge dragon at the end of the sunken city area) and because I'm wearing super light armor I can still roll decently. I didn't even have to respec, although I'm admittedly a pretty high level (152 or so).

How does does the PS4 version run when compared to the DX11 version, especially on a beefed up PC (980, i7 4790k, etc.)? Only reason I ask is I'm leaning back and forth since a buddy of mine could potentially get it for the PS4, so the possible co-op would be cool.

pa22word

How does does the PS4 version run when compared to the DX11 version, especially on a beefed up PC (980, i7 4790k, etc.)? Only reason I ask is I'm leaning back and forth since a buddy of mine could potentially get it for the PS4, so the possible co-op would be cool.
You'll be able to run it in like 8k at 60fps rock solid on that build (I run it at 4k60 on my 780, but that was only because dsr caps at 4k and I was too lazy to set up a custom res to scale higher lol) vs the 1080p with scattered drops you'll get on the ps4 version.

You'll be able to run it in like 8k at 60fps rock solid on that build (I run it at 4k60 on my 780, but that was only because dsr caps at 4k and I was too lazy to set up a custom res to scale higher lol) vs the 1080p with scattered drops you'll get on the ps4 version.

Ok, thanks! PC it is then. Do you recommend I play through DS1 first? Bloodborne is my first "Souls" game and I am really enjoying a lot that I'm ready to try the Souls games once I am done.

Ok, thanks! PC it is then. Do you recommend I play through DS1 first? Bloodborne is my first "Souls" game and I am really enjoying a lot that I'm ready to try the Souls games once I am done.
Yeah I would recommend dark souls for PC. Just make sure to download Durante :) I heard it was cheap on Amazon due to the sell right now.

Yeah I would recommend dark souls for PC. Just make sure to download Durante :) I heard it was cheap on Amazon due to the sell right now.

I just took a look at Amazon and the Prepare to Die version for the first DS is $5. Would you recommend playing DS1 and then progressing to DS2, and then the third one when it releases? I see that Durante did a great job with finding the 1080p option in the original which is cool.

I just took a look at Amazon and the Prepare to Die version for the first DS is $5. Would you recommend playing DS1 and then progressing to DS2, and then the third one when it releases? I see that Durante did a great job with finding the 1080p option in the original which is cool.
Personally I would recommend playing Dark Souls before Dark Souls 2. However keep in mind the combat is slower compare to Bloodborne.

Try an ultra greatsword like the Zweihander or the Greatsword. They're easy to use and do big physical damage for the DLCs. The Claymore is fun too. Use the Chloranthy Ring +2 and a Blossom Kite Shield for some accelerated stamina recovery.

Yea I made a lightning Zweihander and just have enough strength to wield it, I think min strength is fine. Tears through most enemies in the DLC (even that huge dragon at the end of the sunken city area) and because I'm wearing super light armor I can still roll decently. I didn't even have to respec, although I'm admittedly a pretty high level (152 or so).

how many levels did you guys have to put into your equipment load or whatever? that to me seems like the biggest waste i guess :/

also with any lightning/fire weapons - do you need certain faith/int to make it powerful?

I never thought the Staff of Wisdom was worth that investment in Int even when i had it. I seemed to do way more damage with Dark orb and i only used soul spear and CSS with the staff of wisdom...

Honestly, there's probably better ways of doing more pure damage.

I just beat everything with this char, so it's possible. All dlc, every boss including be stick and ancient dragon.

My agility is about 108 and it feels marginally faster than dark souls 1. I use <25% burden though, after bloodborne my dodge skills were good enough.

how many levels did you guys have to put into your equipment load or whatever? that to me seems like the biggest waste i guess :/

also with any lightning/fire weapons - do you need certain faith/int to make it powerful?

Honestly you can do it as a pure caster. Rely on your npc summons and learn the boss moves. It's Rough, but once you get them down and can dodge it's simply s matter of wearing them down. I used a few thingies to regenerate my spells against the longer fights.

Tarkus

30 into VIT might work. Luckily, the Zweihander is the lightest ultra at 12 units. You could try to wear Vengarl's Helm to get a +2 VIT bonus.

Pure physical damage is probably best if youre going to respec to something like 50 STR. If you're leaving some mage stats and minimum equip stats, then infuse. Fire and dark scale with both FTH/INT. Magic with INT. Lightning with FTH. Choose infusion based on your stats. Make sure to have the appropriate weapon buff to go along with the infusion.

Saint9806

I'm level 58 now with a Strength/Dex build. I have the Pyromancy flame and never used it mainly because I didn't know what the hell I was doing. I just figured out that I have to drop some points into Attunement to use it. How many points do I have to spend on it if I want to use a variety of spells for the rest of the game?

Tarkus

I'm level 58 now with a Strength/Dex build. I have the Pyromancy flame and never used it mainly because I didn't know what the hell I was doing. I just figured out that I have to drop some points into Attunement to use it. How many points do I have to spend on it if I want to use a variety of spells for the rest of the game?
16 will get you 3 slots, 20 gets 4, 25 gets 5 slots, and 30 gets you 6 slots. After that each slot costs 10 points up to some ridiculously high point. Just know that some spells require multiple slots. If you don't want pump in points, you can wear the Black Witch's Hat for 1 point or the Southern Ritual Band for up to 3 slots with the +2 ring.

Saint9806

16 will get you 3 slots, 20 gets 4, 25 gets 5 slots, and 30 gets you 6 slots. After that each slot costs 10 points up to some ridiculously high point. Just know that some spells require multiple slots. If you don't want pump in points, you can wear the Black Witch's Hat for 1 point or the Southern Ritual Band for up to 3 slots with the +2 ring.

Awesome, thanks!

PigzFly

Hey all, I have a question about save data that wasn't entirely clear in the OT. I already own the original game on PC and the season pass but only played the first DLC, if I buy the upgrade will my save data still be in tact or will I have to start from scratch?

gogosox82

Hey all, I have a question about save data that wasn't entirely clear in the OT. I already own the original game on PC and the season pass but only played the first DLC, if I buy the upgrade will my save data still be in tact or will I have to start from scratch?

Its a completely different game, not an upgrade so you'll have to start over.

zsswimmer

Does anyone have this issue with summoning? It happens to me like 60-75% of the time I try to summon someone, and I have a feeling its impeding my ability to be summoned as well.

Basically I hardly ever can summon someone. The problem is that when it fails, it freezes for about 30 seconds, then resumes and says 'Summoning failed'. About 20 seconds after this it puts me into offline mode, where I have to quit the game and restart to get the online features back. I rarely find a summon that doesn't trigger this reaction, and its a little frustrating having to quit and restart every time I want to attempt to coop.

ElTopo

Banned
Bought this during the Steam Sale. I figured for $13.99 why not?

The lighting is a little better.

I like some of the changes in enemy placement.

Disappointed that there's still hitbox issues.

In the 2-3 hours I played there were at least 4-5 time instances where I went "Wut?" in regards to the hit detection. And no I wasn't rolling.

So, I dunno. I distinctly remember not having that many problems with hit-detection when I played the game originally.

Also, this is a new run (obviously) with a Knight setup, and I joined the Covenant of Champions. The Last Giant's new attack took me by surprise.

Ok just killed dukes dear freja. I went to rekindle a bonfire and a massive looking fire guy blew up and is blocking it. Wtf am I supposed to do? I've not seen this before?

AcAnchoa

Beating
Sir Alonne
in the second DLC has been a nightmare. It took several tries to get the timing and then the pad stopped working in the middle of fight for God knows what reason.

I didn't like this Crown of the Old Iron King thing, Sunken King was OK. In a few days I'll try the other one.

Tarkus

Beating
Sir Alonne
in the second DLC has been a nightmare. It took several tries to get the timing and then the pad stopped working in the middle of fight for God knows what reason.

I didn't like this Crown of the Old Iron King thing, Sunken King was OK. In a few days I'll try the other one.
He's the toughest fight in the game I think.

pa22word

He's the toughest fight in the game I think.

The only thing that stopped my run harder than him was the literal reflection of the Abyss itself, Dark Spirit Windows, when my installation of Win7 decided to utterly shit the bed in the middle of my first NG+ run in scholar, and I had to reinstall windows -_-;

Can anyone who uses a large weapon like a greatsword or ultra greatsword post what rings/weapon/armour you use and your stats? I'm at the shrine of amana now so will probably finish the game by tomorrow and will need to respec before doing the dlc..

Torraz

Just got the game and am a bit overwhelmed by all the stats.

I think I want to go for a quality / STR build (with enough dex for some bow action).

So I probably want:
Vigor
STR
Endurance

But also:
ADP
DEX

However, what do I level first? Do I level the stats evenly, or do I first go for the 99 agility?

Thanks!

You are going to need some points in equip load if you are going to be running armour and a big sword.

Also, fuck i forgot how much I hate the shrine of amana. I hate this area so much. The combination of having a torch out, not being able to block and also not being able to dive because the fire will go out really sucks.

Tarkus

Can anyone who uses a large weapon like a greatsword or ultra greatsword post what rings/weapon/armour you use and your stats? I'm at the shrine of amana now so will probably finish the game by tomorrow and will need to respec before doing the dlc..
Vgr: 50
End: 40
Vit: 40
Adp: 32? I don't remember
Str: 50
Dex: 37
Att: 13
Int: 30
Fth:30
Rings: third dragon, Chloranthy +2, ring of blades +2, agape ring
Armor: Drakekeeper helm, Velstadt armor, Havel's gauntlets, Alonne knight leggings.
I use about 20-25 different weapons for pvp. From all classes.

zsswimmer

Does anyone have this issue with summoning? It happens to me like 60-75% of the time I try to summon someone, and I have a feeling its impeding my ability to be summoned as well.

Basically I hardly ever can summon someone. The problem is that when it fails, it freezes for about 30 seconds, then resumes and says 'Summoning failed'. About 20 seconds after this it puts me into offline mode, where I have to quit the game and restart to get the online features back. I rarely find a summon that doesn't trigger this reaction, and its a little frustrating having to quit and restart every time I want to attempt to coop.

quoted for new page, still having this problem 7/10 times I try to summon. Sucks

ElTopo

Banned
Man, only 18K souls on NG? Fishermans Warf is one of the harder areas of the game. There's even more ambushes and hordes of enemies in Scholars. The only bit of leniency is the new shortcut.

Top Bottom