• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Sajjaja

The first half of the base game was really weak boss-wise. It felt like a boss-rush mode of sorts. Lots of easy bosses one after the other. I felt that the way to the bosses were often harder than the bosses themselves lol.

I'm at the Royal Rat thingy or w/e.....Mannnnnn I can't beat that guy.

Manu

Took me a couple tries on this playthrough.

My advice: shoot an arrow at one of the smaller guys to aggro them. It will give you some time to kill at least a couple of them before the big guy comes.

MUnited83

For you.

It can be a bit tricky depending on your build. I was getting wrecked because of the little guys as I was melee only until then.
Get a bow and try to take as many little guys before they reach you. The big one is really easy to dodge if you take care of the small ones.

DaciaJC

Gold Member

Always run towards him. Never back away from him (except maybe when he vomits), you want to put as much pressure on his rear legs as possible. That way you can almost assuredly avoid the lunge attacks.

2AdEPT

In the linked video I killed the Royal rat authoirity (edit: no its the Vanquard) (@8:54) at low level (basically right out of the gate killing no other bosses except the Rotten as to do a Vanquisher seal run from the start of the game as early as possible.) By using the running R1 attack with the heide knight sword +4 it trivialized the fight and made it easier. Heide Knight with the lightning clutch ring from teh 1st DLC is the best early game weapon that uses this runing R1 moveset but there are others if you are further along in the game.

Edit...oops I thought you meant the Vanguard at first...I do have a video of RRA as well though...the first run is how not to do it, spamming the firestorm etc. the second run is better ....just dont lock on and attack the legs as explained above. (winning run is @ 0:9:00)

Exuro

I'm finding some of the enemy encounters more challenging than the bosses so far. Just defeated the Lost Sinner and it felt like a cakewalk. Really boring fight.

Tarkus

In the linked video I killed the Royal rat authoirity (edit: no its the Vanquard) (@8:54) at low level (basically right out of the gate killing no other bosses except the Rotten as to do a *snip*
Sounds like someone is Canadian, eh?

jb1234

Does anyone have any advice on better weapons for the DLC areas? I started the Brume Tower, made it all the way through but Fume Knight has made me its bitch and my Broadsword +10 just isn't cutting it anymore. I'd like something with a similar moveset, even if it sacrifices power. I'm not a fan of the heavier weapons.

Tarkus

Does anyone have any advice on better weapons for the DLC areas? I started the Brume Tower, made it all the way through but Fume Knight has made me its bitch and my Broadsword +10 just isn't cutting it anymore. I'd like something with a similar moveset, even if it sacrifices power. I'm not a fan of the heavier weapons.
How heavy is heavy for you? The Claymore weighs 8 units. That's what I used. If you go up to level 2 in the Sunbros covenant, you can get my favorite weapon, the Sun Sword. Long Sword is OK. You can try a Heide Knight Sword, but he'll laugh at your lightning infusion. He'll lol at fire infusions.

Bless you heart for using the Broadsword this late in the game.

Raime is a bad ass tho.

Oh, and remember to kill the 4 ashen idols around his room or you're just farting in the wind.

jb1234

How heavy is heavy for you? The Claymore weighs 8 units. That's what I used. If you go up to level 2 in the Sunbros covenant, you can get my favorite weapon, the Sun Sword. Long Sword is OK. You can try a Heide Knight Sword, but he'll laugh at your lightning infusion. He'll lol at fire infusions.

Bless you heart for using the Broadsword this late in the game.

I used a Long Sword +10 all the way through DS1 so I think part of me was hoping I could apply the same thinking to its sequel. That thinking has gotten me killed a lot. ;)

The Sun Sword sounds cool but I'd need a hell of a lot of sunlight medals...

Tarkus

I used a Long Sword +10 all the way through DS1 so I think part of me was hoping I could apply the same thinking to its sequel. That thinking has gotten me killed a lot. ;)

The Sun Sword sounds cool but I'd need a hell of a lot of sunlight medals...
Put your gold sign down at the King's Bonfire at Drangleic Castle for
Defender/Watcher, Nash, or Aldia.
You'll be summoned over and over and have 20 medals in no time.

jb1234

Put your gold sign down at the King's Bonfire at Drangleic Castle for
Defender/Watcher, Nash, or Aldia.
You'll be summoned over and over and have 20 medals in no time.

I've gone through the castle but I'm not sure I'm at the point yet where I can do that. As far as the main story goes, I started the DLC right after finishing the Undead Crypt.

(I've also never tried helping people with bosses in these games, period. Might be a fun experiment...)

STAY UNDER HIM. Literally. Stay in between his 4 legs, right under his belly for the whole fight. NEVER attack his face from the front, never block (his attacks waste 110 Stamina like it is paper). Just stay under his belly and attack his legs. Easy.

takriel

Honestly, this game becomes a whole new experience when playing it in 21:9 format. Truly beautiful. Some areas still suck, though.

Dresden

Unless you're set on using slash damage, Craftsman's Hammer would work.

STAY UNDER HIM. Literally. Stay in between his 4 legs, right under his belly for the whole fight. NEVER attack his face from the front, never block (his attacks waste 110 Stamina like it is paper). Just stay under his belly and attack his legs. Easy.

I took him down today with pyromancy. I had a few false starts when the small guys would gang up on me, but eventually I managed to take them out with a single Combustion. After that it was just trying to stay behind the big guy. He's a bit chaotic, but generally if you rush him and try to roll past whatever he's doing, you can get to his back and either heal (if you got hurt) or hit his rear legs.

Tarkus

I've gone through the castle but I'm not sure I'm at the point yet where I can do that. As far as the main story goes, I started the DLC right after finishing the Undead Crypt.

(I've also never tried helping people with bosses in these games, period. Might be a fun experiment...)
If you made it to the first bonfire in Drangleic Castle, then you're at King's Gate Bonfire. You might be a long way away from opening the gate yourself, however, you can still be summoned to fight what's beyond it. There are typically signs littering the ground here. IMO, this is the best way to get medals quickly.

I took him down today with pyromancy. I had a few false starts when the small guys would gang up on me, but eventually I managed to take them out with a single Combustion. After that it was just trying to stay behind the big guy. He's a bit chaotic, but generally if you rush him and try to roll past whatever he's doing, you can get to his back and either heal (if you got hurt) or hit his rear legs.

I read later on on reddit that one guy took 90% of his health with 1 shot of some Pyromancy +10 spell.

I beat him pure melee, it was a really frenzy fight.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Oh goodie, they built in a protection to me alt-F4'ing every time I get invaded in this game...

WmjjeCI.png

I really like actually fighting people in this series, but they really need to make it opt in instead of enforcing this garbage. Being invaded literally makes portions of this game impossible to explore by yourself. I went to a place called Bellfry Luna and got instantly invaded by 4-6 players at the same time. Every time I logged back in, instant invasion. I had to log in, kill a dwarf, then alt-F4 an invasion for like an hour straight yesterday just to clear that place, and it's a TINY area... So irritating.

Manu

Oh goodie, they built in a protection to me alt-F4'ing every time I get invaded in this game...

I really like actually fighting people in this series, but they really need to make it opt in instead of enforcing this garbage. Being invaded literally makes portions of this game impossible to explore by yourself. I went to a place called Bellfry Luna and got instantly invaded by 4-6 players at the same time. Every time I logged back in, instant invasion. I had to log in, kill a dwarf, then alt-F4 an invasion for like an hour straight yesterday just to clear that place, and it's a TINY area... So irritating.

Belfry Sol and Belfry Luna are PVP spots.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Belfry Sol and Belfry Luna are PVP spots.

I don't know what that means. There were enemies there for me to kill and treasure to find and a boss. If the game wants to have predetermined PVP areas, why aren't they separate arenas without PVE content in them?

Tarkus

I don't know what that means. There were enemies there for me to kill and treasure to find and a boss. If the game wants to have predetermined PVP areas, why aren't they separate arenas without PVE content in them?
There are arenas. 3 of them

All the areas with this 'surprise' PvP in them (there are four in total split between two PvP covenants) are optional.

Edit: Also... you could play offline if you don't want invasions. Or are you doing co-op as well?

MUnited83

For you.

That's exactly what those are... there's barely any content there besides that.

LiQuid!

All the areas with this 'surprise' PvP in them (there are four in total split between two PvP covenants) are optional.

Edit: Also... you could play offline if you don't want invasions. Or are you doing co-op as well?

Yeah I have been doing a lot of co-op, also I couldn't find an offline option. Would I just have to disable my internet while I played? That's not really feasible.

Speaking of co-op, what determines whether or not you're summonable at any given time or in a particular area? I used to throw my summon sign down in Tower of Flame and get picked up by someone within instants, and now I have tried putting a sign there for 20+ minutes and not gotten picked up. Since that has started happening I have both leveled up a bunch (I'm at level 110 or so now) and I have fully cleared the area of all mobs just by killing them all a bunch. Would either of those things caused people to not see my sign?

Brakke

Banned
Spent some time again last night. I forgot where the stone seller lady lives so I kind of wandered around for a while, opened up paths to the remaining Lords. I wish I'd picked this up on launch, I feel like I'm not getting summoned very often. I just want to get in some Jolly Cooperation 🌞

Yeah I have been doing a lot of co-op, also I couldn't find an offline option. Would I just have to disable my internet while I played? That's not really feasible.

Speaking of co-op, what determines whether or not you're summonable at any given time or in a particular area? I used to throw my summon sign down in Tower of Flame and get picked up by someone within instants, and now I have tried putting a sign there for 20+ minutes and not gotten picked up. Since that has started happening I have both leveled up a bunch (I'm at level 110 or so now) and I have fully cleared the area of all mobs just by killing them all a bunch. Would either of those things caused people to not see my sign?

It's annoying that Dark Souls 2 doesn't have an offline mode option at the main menu. What I do is just disable my ethernet in Windows, launch the game and load my character, then re-enable the ethernet once I'm in-game. You can also burn Human Effigies at a bonfire and then you won't be able to do any online stuff for about 30 minutes in that area.

As for co-op (and all multiplayer matchmaking) the only determining factor is Soul Memory. This site will let you type in your current Soul Memory and you can see what range you will match up with. Chances are that most of the players looking for co-op in Tower of Flame have much lower Soul Memory than you currently do. You might still find players in NG+ that are looking for help though.

---

parry dot webm

http://giant.gfycat.com/InexperiencedSlimHuia.webm

So update.

I got over the normal hump I have to get over every time I start a new Souls game after not touching one for a while and I am now deep down the Dark Souls 2 hole and its put Witcher 3 on the back burner for now.

Currently levelling up in the Sun covenant and trying to figure out what weapon I want.

Been using a standard Battle Axe + Craftman's Hammer combo and its been getting shit done but I think I should try something else. I have heard good things about the Sun Sword which is why I am grinding my way up the sun covenant.

Also that boss that tossers her head at you, you fight in the poison pit is kicking my ass. Got my ass handed to me and went elsewhere to level up and do other things.

Manu

I got like, two consecutive tries where I got the Fume Knight to maybe 40%.

Since then, I can't even get consistently to the fire sword part. Not sure why.

LiQuid!

As for co-op (and all multiplayer matchmaking) the only determining factor is Soul Memory. This site will let you type in your current Soul Memory and you can see what range you will match up with. Chances are that most of the players looking for co-op in Tower of Flame have much lower Soul Memory than you currently do. You might still find players in NG+ that are looking for help though.

Thanks for this info. I have a tendency to grind a LOT in these games and progress real slowly. I'm at like 1.2 million soul memory, so I'm probably way too high for those areas. Strange the invaders don't seem to have too much trouble finding me when I'm in them however...

Maridia

So update.

I got over the normal hump I have to get over every time I start a new Souls game after not touching one for a while and I am now deep down the Dark Souls 2 hole and its put Witcher 3 on the back burner for now.

Currently levelling up in the Sun covenant and trying to figure out what weapon I want.

Been using a standard Battle Axe + Craftman's Hammer combo and its been getting shit done but I think I should try something else. I have heard good things about the Sun Sword which is why I am grinding my way up the sun covenant.

Also that boss that tossers her head at you, you fight in the poison pit is kicking my ass. Got my ass handed to me and went elsewhere to level up and do other things.

About that boss (vague spoiler):

There's a way to get the poison out of the boss area.

Tarkus

It took me more tries than any boss in DS1. Good thing the bonfire is just outside.

BTW, that sword in his right hand is bad ass, though most people probably make the ultra.

Manu

Almost two hours later, Fume Knight is dead.

So many times I was close to beating him when his sword scratched me a bit and took 60% of my health.

But that's it. All crowns collected. Now for Sir Alonne, and then endgame.

Brakke

Banned
I forget does this game have any cut-off-the-tail-for-a-cool-weapon bosses? I don't remember any from before the DLCs at least...

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I forget does this game have any cut-off-the-tail-for-a-cool-weapon bosses? I don't remember any from before the DLCs at least...

You can cut some tails, but there are no items associated with it. One of a few cool bits from DS that were unfortunately not brought forward.

jb1234

I can't even hit him more than once before he kills me. It's embarrassing as hell.

Manu

Alright, just beat the game. Just missed some of the optional bosses like Blue Smelter and Darklurker. Before I went back to Drangleic Castle I said fuck it and killed Ancient Dragon, which I never did before.

I still think this is the most fun to play Souls game. It's got tons of problems and shortcomings but damn it's just so fun.

Now for some cleanup and then NG+

The bosses got a bit better!

Skeleton Army - same concept as Dark Cleric + Dark Bishops but in a much larger area with pillars where you can hide behind. Kind of Benny Hill-esque battle with me running in circles away from 40 enemies. Beat this boss at the first try.

Hell Chariot - very nice idea and execution up until the chariot crashes and then you fight... a two headed horse? I was hoping the Rider would be still alive and you'd fight the two of them. Too bad. Also too bad I saw this boss in some Network Test videos on YT back in 2013(?)

Covetus Demon - lol. Team B designed and executed this boss for sure. If you die in this fight you should uninstall this game (I almost did because I fumbled and he smashed me for 65% of my health).

Beheaded Snake Lady - finally a hard battle.Took me, I think, 6 tries before I nailed her - and in the last try she did not manage to grab me and that was the key to victory. Escape the grab --> press Y to two hand --> nail her. Before the fog gate I used Magic Weapon so a full stamina bar of R1 (two handed light attacks) took 50% of her health. Then I just prayed for similiar easy to dodge attack, and it happened!, so I nailed her once again for 50% of health. Because she recovers she had like 10% left but that was easy. All in all a very good fight that can be quite troublesome because of the poisoning.

Now I am in The Iron Keep. And WTF at the way you get here - you take an elevator DOWN?!? Gonna go back and explore Earthern Peak because I basically flew through it just wanting to see what is next. Explored maybe 10% of it.

Brakke

Banned
Yeah Covetous Demon is a joke lol. Especially because he's right by the place where you can join the Jolly Cooperators covenant, it's usually trivial to summon in two super-OP sunbros. But if you *need* them to beat that clown-ass slug you are going to struggle finishing this game... It's good to summon sunbros when you see them, help a brother get his medals.

Put a bopping on the Old Iron King last night. I remember struggling with him on my first play through but this time was easy. I summoned the NPC (Manhunter Something; didn't recognize her) but dude knocked her right into the lava and she only ever got one shot off lol. Would've been easier to solo; the summon just upped his health...

I am loving playing like this. It's a game I went super deep on but haven't read or thought about in a while. Now on the Scholar run, I'm committed to not opening any guides. So I keep encountering things that surprise me and I can never tell if it's something new or something I'd forgotten. It's like playing through a dream or something. It keeps *almost* meeting what I expect, but also quietly undercutting me.

Tarkus

Alright, just beat the game. Just missed some of the optional bosses like Blue Smelter and Darklurker. Before I went back to Drangleic Castle I said fuck it and killed Ancient Dragon, which I never did before.

I still think this is the most fun to play Souls game. It's got tons of problems and shortcomings but damn it's just so fun.

Now for some cleanup and then NG+
Which boss was the toughest and which was the most fun?

Ultrabum

The bosses got a bit better!

Skeleton Army - same concept as Dark Cleric + Dark Bishops but in a much larger area with pillars where you can hide behind. Kind of Benny Hill-esque battle with me running in circles away from 40 enemies. Beat this boss at the first try.

Hell Chariot - very nice idea and execution up until the chariot crashes and then you fight... a two headed horse? I was hoping the Rider would be still alive and you'd fight the two of them. Too bad. Also too bad I saw this boss in some Network Test videos on YT back in 2013(?)

Covetus Demon - lol. Team B designed and executed this boss for sure. If you die in this fight you should uninstall this game (I almost did because I fumbled and he smashed me for 65% of my health).

Beheaded Snake Lady - finally a hard battle.Took me, I think, 6 tries before I nailed her - and in the last try she did not manage to grab me and that was the key to victory. Escape the grab --> press Y to two hand --> nail her. Before the fog gate I used Magic Weapon so a full stamina bar of R1 (two handed light attacks) took 50% of her health. Then I just prayed for similiar easy to dodge attack, and it happened!, so I nailed her once again for 50% of health. Because she recovers she had like 10% left but that was easy. All in all a very good fight that can be quite troublesome because of the poisoning.

Now I am in The Iron Keep. And WTF at the way you get here - you take an elevator DOWN?!? Gonna go back and explore Earthern Peak because I basically flew through it just wanting to see what is next. Explored maybe 10% of it.

Spoilers about the "snake lady boss"
you can drain the poison in the boss area. Google it if you want to know how, I don't want to spoil anymore.

Shrine of Amana is completely kicking my ass right now. There's a night and day difference between having a bow and not. I can get to the last group before the third bonfire, but with two of those hyper aggressive guys bearing down on me, I can't get off enough shots. And my pyro works worse in water. I'm thinking of just sitting around until I can get a summon, but it MIGHT be possible to lure them into a Toxic Cloud. Trouble is, even if I can poison them they might very very catch up and kill me.

Soon these first enemies are going to despawn anyway. I might just tough it out.

Exuro

Beat the old iron king early today. Whats up with the area after him with the large closed door? Couldn't figure out what to do there.

Tarkus

Beat the old iron king early today. Whats up with the area after him with the large closed door? Couldn't figure out what to do there.
That's a DLC area. You need a key to get in there. Go back to her lizard pit in the Forest of Fallen Giants.

Top Bottom