• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Yup, that is what triggered my "something must be very wrong" flag. I never struggled so much in Demon's.

Now imagine a world without Internet... you & me would be playing this game and getting so much better at it with the Covenant of Champions enabled...

Lol so true but think about all the angst and frustration we saved ourselves!

Are there any notable missables I should know about?

It sucks that there are all these issues Retrieving Calibrations and connecting to other players in the Xbox One version... I want to invade people as Leo from Ninja Turtles...

ihU0fSK.jpg

I did manage to get two duels at Iron Keep (around 500,000 SM) this morning on the gimped internet, but the first one kept healing until he finally killed me, and the second one was a gank, even though I got the host to 10% health :(

I'm moving this weekend, and I'm really hoping the calibration issues will go away when I get on my new internet. (no, it's not a NAT issue, it's a DS2 issue).

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
First time I got invaded in Belfry Luna it was as a dude cosplaying the Incredible Hulk.

neoemonk

Tried to finish Iron Keep last night. It did not go well. After only being invaded twice the whole time I've been playing this game, the invasions would not stop in Iron Keep.

I'm pretty much a PvP punching bag in this game. Usually dead within three or four hits, and I barely seem to do any damage to invaders. Primarily magic specced but it seems trivial for them to roll away from my soul arrows. At one point I just jumped in the lava when I got invaded just so I could get back to making my way through the zone. I should be able to light the fourth bonfire tonight as I got in three attempts on the Old Iron King but most of the time I get invaded en route. I've been debating unplugging my network cable until I finish this zone because I don't have time for this.

Someone NEEDS to take that character and do speed runs with it.

Tried to finish Iron Keep last night. It did not go well. After only being invaded twice the whole time I've been playing this game, the invasions would not stop in Iron Keep.

I'm pretty much a PvP punching bag in this game. Usually dead within three or four hits, and I barely seem to do any damage to invaders. Primarily magic specced but it seems trivial for them to roll away from my soul arrows. At one point I just jumped in the lava when I got invaded just so I could get back to making my way through the zone. I should be able to light the fourth bonfire tonight as I got in three attempts on the Old Iron King but most of the time I get invaded en route. I've been debating unplugging my network cable until I finish this zone because I don't have time for this.

PVP Feels like that at first. I used to lose 99% of my duels, but you'll get better. I can't speak for a caster build since I always run melee, but you'll start to notice patterns of behavior and such and get better.

I kinda have the opposite problem. I want to PVP but I so rarely ever get to because of the calibration and network issues on the Xbox one. :(

Lol so true but think about all the angst and frustration we saved ourselves!

Are there any notable missables I should know about?

Other than quests from Summon NPCs for Trophies/ Achievements I do not think so. I play offline so I never even could start them.

Oh, one tip: save 1 Fragrant Branch of Yore for Shaded Woods. There is one specific statue you should unstone in order to unlock a new "store".

BTW you know there are SL1 Covenant of Champion runs on YouTube? People are crazy!

Dresden

Go offline or burn an effigy.

your main problem is trying to use stuff like soul arrows, though - slow ranged projectiles just get you killed.

Go offline or burn an effigy.

your main problem is trying to use stuff like soul arrows, though - slow ranged projectiles just get you killed.

The key to good use of magic in PvP is to have a relatively quick cast speed and then mix it up a bit. I like to use a heavy soul arrow, then throw out the slower homing soul arrow to try and throw them off their dodging, and then finally use a crystal soul spear. If they're bad they'll eat all three spells and most likely die, but if you trip them up with that second spell then they'll likely take two hits.

Tarkus

I got caught without the Agape Ring while trying to help someone and moved into the Soul Memory range where I'm getting summoned by SL 838 people in PvP. While quite a challenge, it's no fun because I'm only SL260. Time to start a new character I guess. Looking to cosplay.

strafer

I wanted to ask if you guys are like me in that I wear armor that looks cool and not what has high defense or other stats.

Also, I have trouble sticking to one set of armor, I always change.

I got caught without the Agape Ring while trying to help someone and moved into the Soul Memory range where I'm getting summoned by SL 838 people in PvP. While quite a challenge, it's no fun because I'm only SL260. Time to start a new character I guess. Looking to cosplay.

This is my biggest problem with DS2. I hate having to worry about how much PVE content I do affecting my SM. I locked my favorite character around 3 million to PVP with so I can dick around with others.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I wanted to ask if you guys are like me in that I wear armor that looks cool and not what has high defense or other stats.

Also, I have trouble sticking to one set of armor, I always change.

IMO, Dark Souls is never about just getting the armor with the most stats. I don't really feel the effects of having high physical defense. Things just hit hard, so I learn how to dodge. If I had no vanity whatsoever, I would play every game completely naked because I'll take that faster/farther roll over physical defense 10 out of 10 times. So for me the only reason armor in this game exists is to make an outfit out of. I usually go thru 1 or 2 different outfits for each character I play depending on what's available and what I'd ideally like to look like and/or am able to farm.

You gots to summon on that for real.

The archer is pretty easy to rush down if you charge him and have enough stamina to keep attacks raining at him.

Havel is pretty easy to backstab.

Other guy is mostly unremarkable.

BUT! It's hard af to do anything when there's always an attack coming at you...

I gots it!!!11one

It was literally the HARDEST BOSS FIGHT IN THE ENTIRE GAME SO FAR for me.

Man, I was so frustrated that they killed me over and over again that I got desperate and started experimenting with different weapons instead of my trusty old Mace +10. First I equipped the Black Knight Ultra Greatsword +0 and went to town. Nope, 2 heavy attacks per stamina bar were just not cutting it. And the damage was not twice what I expected it to be (maybe at BKUG+10?). Then I tried with Dragon Tooth +0. Nope, nope, nope. Too slow.

After they killed me like 10 times I decided to... tank them. As simple as that. Stay in one place, eat all the hits and just kill Havel & Samurai ASAP.

Easier said than done, huh?

Preparations:
- Ring of Giants +1 (the one that increases your poise - for chugging Estus)
- Iron Flesh Pyromancy spell for 1450(!!!) total defense casted right after entering the fog gate
- that Rose Shield for faster stamina regeneration
- Crystal Magic Weapon casted on my Mace +10 before entering the fog gate
- over 60% Equipment burden with all of the above

It took me like 10 more tries... rolling was out of the question with Iron Flesh so I just pressed the stick forward and whacked them. Only quick, one-handed R1 hits in order to get as many strikes as possible per stamina bar. My stamina was largely regenerating when I was knocked down either by Havel or the Bowman.

I always targeted the Samurai first. He needed 10 hits to go down so 2 stamina bars. Many times I killed him only to be wasted by Havel later on :(

When I finally succeeded I immediately "run" (Iron Flesh) to the right, to the little alcove. Samurai went after me and I killed him easily (thanks, Iron Flesh!). Chugged Estus and Havel was right on top of me. Somehow, do not ask me how, I backstabbed him. It took 40% of his health. Then we fought for a short time exchanging blows and his health dropped down to 33%. My health was 20%. I immediately rolled back and fell down to the shallow water and that saved me. I chugged 2 more Estus and went upstair to finish Havel.

You cannot imagine how hard my heart was pounding after killing two of them, for the first time.

Iron Flesh was long gone so I ran and hid behind some wall, opened menu and equipped Drangleic Shield instead of the Rose Shield for 100% physical resistance. I prayed that fucker would not snipe me while I was doing this.

Then I ran to the center of the area and faced the Bowman. 3 Estus left, 100% Physical Resistance shield and heart on the brink of cardiac arrest.

I WAS READY.

Didn't make any single stupid mistake and killed that bitch in no time.

YAY!

Worst. Boss. Fight. Ever. Imagine 3 Maneaters at the same time in Demon's - it is THAT hard.

IMO, Dark Souls is never about just getting the armor with the most stats. I don't really feel the effects of having high physical defense. Things just hit hard, so I learn how to dodge. If I had no vanity whatsoever, I would play every game completely naked because I'll take that faster/farther roll over physical defense 10 out of 10 times. So for me the only reason armor in this game exists is to make an outfit out of. I usually go thru 1 or 2 different outfits for each character I play depending on what's available and what I'd ideally like to look like and/or am able to farm.

1450 Armor helped me GREATLY during the Havel Gank Squad fight, see above. There are places where super high armor instead of mobility has its advances.

NinjaBoiX

I've just used one at the Iron Keep Bonfire to grind a bit. But is the enemy despawning effect only affected by deaths or also by simply resting at the bonfire?

Edit: also, build update:

jVE3Fi9.jpg

zsswimmer

I gots it!!!11one

Worst. Boss. Fight. Ever. Imagine 3 Maneaters at the same time in Demon's - it is THAT hard.

Damn, I don't think I've encountered them yet, where exactly do they show up in Shulva? And having beaten Demons for the first time recently, that's pretty scary lol. The Flamelurker, at least until I finally levelled up my character and weapon a good bit, wrecked my shit constantly.

LiQuid!

1450 Armor helped me GREATLY during the Havel Gank Squad fight, see above. There are places where super high armor instead of mobility has its advances.
Armor wasn't a factor for me in that fight. I just rushed the archer while my 2 summons kept the other 2 enemies busy. Then when my two summons died I spent about 10 minutes kiting Havel and his sword friend around the arena, pelting them with spells. Beat it on the first try, but it was one of the most annoying fight in the game.

Brakke

Banned
I've just used one at the Iron Keep Bonfire to grind a bit. But is the enemy despawning effect only affected by deaths or also by simply resting at the bonfire?

Each enemy respawns 15 times per level of the bonfire. You dying or resetting the zone by resting at the bonfire doesn't impact the respawn counter.

neoemonk

Shrine of Amana had me questioning not only my ability as a player but my sanity as a human being. The stretch between the second and third bonfire with all of the casters was a nightmare. I died. A lot. That whole area is despawned now except for the last little cluster of enemies before the fog gate at the cave of acid belching mushrooms. The water plus those tracking soul arrows was just wiping me out.

strafer

Shrine of Amana had me questioning not only my ability as a player but my sanity as a human being. The stretch between the second and third bonfire with all of the casters was a nightmare. I died. A lot. That whole area is despawned now except for the last little cluster of enemies before the fog gate at the cave of acid belching mushrooms. The water plus those tracking soul arrows was just wiping me out.

Probably the worst area in the entire game. It looks nice though.

Jesus Christ... Brume Tower.

Single best area in the whole game.

Just turned on the elevators - there are simply no words how awesome this level is: the trek to the Majestic Greatsword chest, the trek for the fiery hot Iron Rod Key etc.

I also tried the Elysium Loyce and made my way a little bit past the 2nd bonfire (where the frozen Pharos stone face is with the invisible enemies). Also a fantastic level but the enemies are pretty annoying.

The whole DLC is pretty amazing. I mean compare Brume Tower with basically the same area/ concept - Earthen Peak. No comparison.

Jesus Christ... Brume Tower.

Single best area in the whole game.

Just turned on the elevators - there are simply no words how awesome this level is: the trek to the Majestic Greatsword chest, the trek for the fiery hot Iron Rod Key etc.

I also tried the Elysium Loyce and made my way a little bit past the 2nd bonfire (where the frozen Pharos stone face is with the invisible enemies). Also a fantastic level but the enemies are pretty annoying.

The whole DLC is pretty amazing. I mean compare Brume Tower with basically the same area/ concept - Earthen Peak. No comparison.

Have you beaten the blue Smelter Demon ? I'm stuck at him.

Have you beaten the blue Smelter Demon ? I'm stuck at him.

Just beat him, 4th try. Did not extinct even one enemy in Iron Passage before the fog door.

Some tips:

(1st room)
- kill one armored enemy in the room to your left
- aggro the 2nd one and kill him
- the lightning mage will come close to you - kill him
- (Estus)
- run towards the exit

(2nd room)
- kill the armored enemy right beneath you
- aggro the 2nd one and kill him
- run towards the exit
- you will probably get hit by that nasty SLOW spell so time your last roll right, near the double axed enemy

(3rd room)
- WAIT... WAIT... WAIT... until the SLOW spell times out
- run towards the fog door doing a big arc on the right

(BOSS)
- (Estus)
- use normal 100% physical resistance shield until he enchants his sword
- during the enchanting animation CHANGE YOUR SHIELD to Magic Havel's Greathsield
- kill the boss - you can tank his hits!
- I only attacked him in 2 circumstances:
a) he does the piercing attack - block and hit him twice
b) he does the jumping --> slam down --> pierce sword downwards through the floor attack - roll back, wait for the force explosion, run towards him and hit him twice
- all his other attacks like swipes, slashes etc. were blocked w/o any retaliation (I did not attack after tanking his hits)
- I had 61% encumberance and I never rolled except rolling backwards before the force explosion
- (Estus) only during the force explosion attack

Good luck!!!
(w/o this shield you are TOAST)

What's up with the shitty rewards for these extra bosses, tho? Flower Skirt and Pharos Mask? WTF!!! Useless.

Brakke

Banned
The Iron King zone really wants you to be summoning. Those two boss runs that are just straight up gauntlets demand either mad-cap suicide runs, slow advances pulling with bows, or summon-buddies.

Dresden

The Alonne run at least has a safe zone near the fog. Got pretty good at running and rolling through the suicidal weeaboo knights.

neoemonk

I wasn't sure if I would pick up the DLC for this game or move on to Bloodborne once I finished but I think after reading the past few pages, Bloodborne it is!

Started my obligatory Incredible Hulk cosplay run. It's actually nice because you can just buy two Caestus right at the beginning from Melentia. This run is super fun, fast rolling with no equip load and hulk smashing things with my fist. Damage is actually really good, especially against armored enemies. Only thing I struggle with is taking on multiple enemies at a time because of the short reach and small arcs on fist weapons. Either way, it's way more fun than my Ninja Turtle cosplay. Joker is next I suppose!

The Iron King zone really wants you to be summoning. Those two boss runs that are just straight up gauntlets demand either mad-cap suicide runs, slow advances pulling with bows, or summon-buddies.

Nah, that's slight overexaggeration.

I think people forgot how it was in Demon's Souls - the bonfires were AFTER a boss fight. You had to run through the whole fucking level before tackling the boss. And you couldn't extinct a single enemy!

The road to Blue Smelter Demon is a joke compared to Shrine of Storms 4-2, Valley of the Defilement 5-1 and 5-2. It's even shorter than 5-2 after you open the shortcut for Christ's sake...

Soodanim

Saw this thread by accident yesterday morning, ended up playing it all day. The last boss I beat was the Looking Glass Knight, now I'm in an area that made me say "Is this Ash Lake depth?" when I first stepped out. SoA, is it? Summoning 2 NPCs was nice for LGK, I think you got to do that once in DS1 and it wasn't as worth it.

Now that the warp menu has opened up to show me the true size of the game, I'm both intrigued by the areas I'm still yet to find (and wondering if finding the DLC is as obtuse as DS1) and confused by locked bonfires I haven't found in areas I thought I'd done everything in.

It's nice playing Souls areas for the first time again -- in DS1 there's nothing left to learn about the environment and messages are helpful.

Question 1 - can walls you can click on to open be overridden by the messages saying there's one there?

Question 2 - have I somehow missed whichever blacksmith lets me upgrade a weapon with different properties? I wouldn't be surprised if I haven't, given that you need to be in NG++ for some items/spells. Not a fan of that, by the way.

I also want to ask about when I find another twinblade (but I also don't want to ask because it'll ruin the first playthrough if I keep asking about things), because I accidentally discovered that there are more than one of these things.

I'm fighting the urge to BKHalberd my way through the game. I had to put it on for that Rat King boss (there must be more to that area, I'm assuming for the Rat covenant). I've actually got more into backstabs now, and started using weapons with high critical rates (first the Manikin knife, then I realised the Iaito-ish katana has a 150 rate as well and started upping that). The BKH backstab animation is brutal, and I love it. Fuck parrying though, I can't get it. I can parry with a great success rate with a normal shield in DS1, but with the parrying knife in 2? Awful. Still don't like how the game handles durability, either.

One last little note - I like that throwing knives have more of a purpose in this game.

Question 2 - have I somehow missed whichever blacksmith lets me upgrade a weapon with different properties? I wouldn't be surprised if I haven't, given that you need to be in NG++ for some items/spells. Not a fan of that, by the way.

He is kind of hidden but in plain sight. You have met him already, stood in front of him but couldn't talk to him *hint, hint*.

Lost Bastille

Brakke

Banned
Nah, that's slight overexaggeration.

I think people forgot how it was in Demon's Souls - the bonfires were AFTER a boss fight. You had to run through the whole fucking level before tackling the boss. And you couldn't extinct a single enemy!

The road to Blue Smelter Demon is a joke compared to Shrine of Storms 4-2, Valley of the Defilement 5-1 and 5-2. It's even shorter than 5-2 after you open the shortcut for Christ's sake...

I don't mean they want you to summon out of cowardice, I mean they feel designed for teamwork. Especially the smelter demon run, it's hard to pull the switch and get through the gate; but it's easy to have someone wait at the gate while you pull the switch, sort of tackle the rooms in parallel from different angles. That sort of approach seems like their intention.

Question 1 - can walls you can click on to open be overridden by the messages saying there's one there?

I was always paranoid about this but I think the answer is no.

There are two. One is freed from Shaded Woods need the Pilgrims of Dark covenant and then moves to Brightstone Cove. The easier one is in Lost Bastille.
You'll find a key to his room (on the exterior wall before the Ruin Sentinels fight) or you can bust your way in: at the top of a staircase there's an exploding barrel by a enemy. Kill the dude, then walk into the barrel so it rolls down the stairs. Hit it at the bottom so it explodes and breaks a wall, revealing a bonfire and a blacksmith. Light his torch to activate him.

Wow @ Fume Knight

Dropping out of this thread until I beat him. He already destroyed me 10+ times... never got him below 40% health and I can finish his first form without getting hit at all.

Currently am trying different shield combinations, Rebel's seems the best even if I take some damage during his first form.

Now I understand why he is one of the most hated bosses in DaS2.

See you guys in uhh... a couple of days when I nail him :(

Hakkelus

Just bought the game and man, the graphics look ugly! U-L-G-Y, UGLY! Really liked the look of DS 1 but this... Well, fortunately the gameplay seems fine(ish).

2AdEPT

Impressive :)

Do you have a Havel Squad movie?

Ask and you shall receive! Its part of an hour long let's play style commentary so chcek the description for hot links tot he boss fights.

Wow @ Fume Knight

Dropping out of this thread until I beat him. He already destroyed me 10+ times... never got him below 40% health and I can finish his first form without getting hit at all.

Currently am trying different shield combinations, Rebel's seems the best even if I take some damage during his first form.

Yeah he can be a real bish, but just one of many bosses and mobs that I think the developers were pushing people toward using the powerstanced dual wielding set ups. I wont say its easier to fight without a shield, but it s far more rewarding. It was simply boring to watch Man vs. Game or Patrick Klepik tank up and turtle their way through both souls games....I think Miyazaki trolling the shield user in Bloodborne wasthe final evidence needed to confirm my theory that despite haivng to cater to the masses to get enough sales, Miyazaki and co. always have the 'real' souls game hidden underneath the advertised title. I am not joking when I say the real DS2 was meant to be played as a dex "ninja type" if not a Vanquisher's seal fist only character. I was skeptical myself until I tried fist only, but they made it hard to do as to reward the diligent. I developed a strat using the older Vageta 311 videos as a guide, but found I could get all the ascetics necessary to kill Rhoy the exploer from the DLC instead of killign too many reg game bosses or trying to get teh awestones at lowe level PVP. As such you can get the Vanquisher's seal run started a few hours into a new character and still have all but the Rotten and Rat vanquard to do fists only. I made a video on how to do this early. I took only a few housrs to do the whole preparation phase but the video is sped up at times and condensed into a 13 minute vid. I strongly encourage you all to try to the Seal run...it makes it a whole new game!

Just bought the game and man, the graphics look ugly! U-L-G-Y, UGLY! Really liked the look of DS 1 but this... Well, fortunately the gameplay seems fine(ish).
What are you playing on? the PS3, or Xbox? I dont own a newer console version owing to that Iplay on PC but both ds1 and ds2 are eceptionally beautiful to be played at 1080 and 60FPS, if not 2560 or 4k and 60PFS.

Dresden

Wow @ Fume Knight

Just two hand your weapon and wreck him!

There's a guy who beat FK without rolling or blocking if you need some motivation.

Top Bottom