• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Re: the colored dots on that map above, they correspond to the marchant/NPCs that you can recruit to come back to Majulah

strafer

Guys, um, where should I go?

I got to the Iron Keep, didn't finish off the area yet and I still have Lost Bastille to explore.

What do you recommend? I feel a little lost, put it on for the first time in ages tonight and felt like I had lost my way a bit.

How do I access the DLC? Which one would you recommend first?

I don't care about story or spoilers if that helps!

What do you play as?

DTKT

How is DS2 for a first soul game? I've dabbled in the console version of DS1 but never gotten really far, 2-3 hours maybe.

How is DS2 for a first soul game? I've dabbled in the console version of DS1 but never gotten really far, 2-3 hours maybe.

Should be fine. DS2 is a fair bit more accessible then the earlier enteries with regards to how the characters move, UI and other world elements so it should be a good gateway into the souls world. The only thing is a few of the lategame plot elements may fly over your head if you don't know the story from Dark Souls 1, but if you've reached that point then a quick look at a lore article will tell you everything you need to know.

After 50 hours on my pyromancer I finally made it to Wellager on NG++ and got my last pyromancy... I thought. Turns out I missed Toxic Mist from Rosabeth so the actual last acquirement was a bit less epic. Still, feels good.

At this point, can I actually go and buy all remaining spells or is there some super-rare ones I need to farm/covenant for? I don't have a Darklurker soul so that might be tricky at NG++.

Brakke

Banned
I remember from my first time through there's a miracle at full Sunbros affinity. I forget if you can get it any other way.

So, it appears I'm totally crap at this game coming from bloodborne and the witcher, the pursuer is doing my head in and I just can't get near him at the moment or parry for that matter, I can't judge his hitboxes at all so is there anywhere else I can head to and come back later while I get back into the sing of things, any advice welcome?!

Edit: done it now with a little help

velociraptor

Any advice for a melee sorcerer build?

I'm like soul level 90 (probably overlevelled lol). I have been randomly allocating points but I'm thinking of respeccing.

Also, is it better to go for the strength or dex weapons?

The last boss I killed was the
Old Iron King
. Up to this point in the game, what is the best weapon I could have had?

Tarkus

Any advice for a melee sorcerer build?

I'm like soul level 90 (probably overlevelled lol). I have been randomly allocating points but I'm thinking of respeccing.

Also, is it better to go for the strength or dex weapons?
The last boss I killed was the
Old Iron King
. Up to this point in the game, what is the best weapon I could have had?
Strength is probably better. I consider a quality build to be 50/40 strength/Dex in this game. Those are the most fun IMO. Also, I prefer hexing to magic with a melee character.

At that low an SL at melee/sorcery, you're probably actually pretty weak. It's probably best to build up your melee stats and then add hex/magic at higher levels. At low levels, sorcery/melee is too diluted.

As for the best weapon, it's very subjective. I think the Claymore or the Sun Sword are the best weapons in the game.

Z..

Something's wrong with my game, clearly... during the ivory king fight, the 4 friendly knights will not move... they just stand there and do nothing but watch me die. What the actual fuck is this shit?

Playing vanilla ds2, not sotfs.

edit: btw, the less said about this ridiculous idea of making you fight the knights before the boss the better...

velociraptor

Strength is probably better. I consider a quality build to be 50/40 strength/Dex in this game. Those are the most fun IMO. Also, I prefer hexing to magic with a melee character.

At that low an SL at melee/sorcery, you're probably actually pretty weak. It's probably best to build up your melee stats and then add hex/magic at higher levels. At low levels, sorcery/melee is too diluted.

As for the best weapon, it's very subjective. I think the Claymore or the Sun Sword are the best weapons in the game.

What is a hex build?

Z..

Frigid Outskirts. Lowest point ever in Souls history... what a poorly designed area. How did such an abhorrent stinker make it onto the finished product? Oo
Were they that desperate to add more content that afterbirth qualified?

What is a hex build?

Hexes are dark magic. A hex build is a faith/intelligence hybrid.

Oh man Shulva City is FUCKING AWESOME.

- first I spend dozen of minutes trying to extinct the "ghost" dual wielding Knights in the crypt. With my magic weapon I was doing 20 damage to them... Heavy Soul Arrow was doing 60 damage to them... crazy stuff. Killed him like 9 times in the end yet he was still there...
- then after some hours I ran someplace downstairs to end up at the BOTTOM of the whole area in shallow water with crazy dinosaurs that ganged me and killed
- at least I managed to kill the fucking Red Phantom Pyromancer Jester first...
- all of that starting from the very 1st bonfire...
- after even more hours I discovered the 2nd bonfire in the tower, success
- after even more hours I discovered that you can attack the coffins which will make the "ghost" enemies materialise and get normal damage form that point on
- after even more hours I managed to fight the first boss of the area - Elena, which of course killed me on the first try

AMAZING INCREDIBLE TOP level design:

- from the very beginning (the 1st bonfire) you can see the 3rd bonfire in the distance, you can see the Dinosaurs in the shallow water and all the treasures (souls) spotted on the map
- hidden pillars that raise columns all over the map
- hidden switches that have to be shot at with a bow all over the dungeon
- Demon's Souls-like shortcuts to be opened like the one from 1st bonfire to the 3rd bonfire before the Cave of the Dead
- MASSIVE amount of LOOT all over the map
- incredible VERTICAL design of the Dragon's Rest area (before Elena boss fight). Wow. Valley of the Defilement 5-1 flashbacks all over the place.

That atmosphere is so thick... one of the best areas of DaS2 IMO.

Brakke

Banned
Yoooo for real. Shulva is great. Loyce is my #1 but Shulva is v strong. I don't know what it is but those pyramids are so unsettling.

I just killed the Giant Lord and am getting ready to do the DLCs. I've played through several times and this is my 2nd or 3rd time with a dex based no shield character. I've got almost every stat I want for my standard build (level 120ish).

Any suggestions for which buff(s) I should start allocating for next? I'm thinking sacred oath, but I'm open to suggestions.

OMG I just found the "Denial" miracle. Immediately used some Spice to lower its reqa to 20 FTH. The "Second Chance" miracle saved my ass MANY TIMES in original Demon's Souls NG+ and NG++ modes (looking at you Maneater/ Flamelurker).

Z..

Oh man Shulva City is FUCKING AWESOME.

- first I spend dozen of minutes trying to extinct the "ghost" dual wielding Knights in the crypt. With my magic weapon I was doing 20 damage to them... Heavy Soul Arrow was doing 60 damage to them... crazy stuff. Killed him like 9 times in the end yet he was still there...
- then after some hours I ran someplace downstairs to end up at the BOTTOM of the whole area in shallow water with crazy dinosaurs that ganged me and killed
- at least I managed to kill the fucking Red Phantom Pyromancer Jester first...
- all of that starting from the very 1st bonfire...
- after even more hours I discovered the 2nd bonfire in the tower, success
- after even more hours I discovered that you can attack the coffins which will make the "ghost" enemies materialise and get normal damage form that point on
- after even more hours I managed to fight the first boss of the area - Elena, which of course killed me on the first try

AMAZING INCREDIBLE TOP level design:

- from the very beginning (the 1st bonfire) you can see the 3rd bonfire in the distance, you can see the Dinosaurs in the shallow water and all the treasures (souls) spotted on the map
- hidden pillars that raise columns all over the map
- hidden switches that have to be shot at with a bow all over the dungeon
- Demon's Souls-like shortcuts to be opened like the one from 1st bonfire to the 3rd bonfire before the Cave of the Dead
- MASSIVE amount of LOOT all over the map
- incredible VERTICAL design of the Dragon's Rest area (before Elena boss fight). Wow. Valley of the Defilement 5-1 flashbacks all over the place.

That atmosphere is so thick... one of the best areas of DaS2 IMO.

Yep. Both Shulva and Loyce are very well desinged... which is why frigid outskirts ends up standing out like a sore thumb.

2AdEPT

What is a hex build?

I made a video a long time ago at release on how to get started making a hex build. You can see the dark storm hex in action at the start but then i retrace steps in order to show you how I got the setup.

OMG I just found the "Denial" miracle. Immediately used some Spice to lower its reqa to 20 FTH. The "Second Chance" miracle saved my ass MANY TIMES in original Demon's Souls NG+ and NG++ modes (looking at you Maneater/ Flamelurker).

one of my favourite items in the game, especially for trolling in PVP.

I think I'm done with this game before I've started, I've played all the others and for some reason I can't get to grips with this one, the hit boxes seem wrong to me for starters, I've officially rage quit!

2AdEPT

I think I'm done with this game before I've started, I've played all the others and for some reason I can't get to grips with this one, the hit boxes seem wrong to me for starters, I've officially rage quit!

unfortunately the start of this game is unforgiving, but once you get around the first few growing pains, get some agility, get a good weapon (heidde knight sword by killing a heide knight or the flame longsword from the forest of fallen giants) then you are on your way to some of the most exhiliarating moments in the series! Someone else posted their Darklurker vid here's my reaction to FIANLLY beating it, (fight at 50:55 or so) but this was before the DLC, the DLC is right up there with the best from DS1.

Z..

the DLC is right up there with the best from DS1.

No it isn't. As far as level design goes, you'd be right about Shulva and Loyce. The enemies, and the entirety of the Iron King DLC (except Alonne and Fume Knight) are just a continuation of the lazy artificial difficulty trends so prevalent throughout DS2 and as such I'd have to disagree.

Finally finished the game and all of its DLC solo. I have to say this has been one hell of an experience. I'm glad I gave this another chance. What a step up from the vanilla PS3 version.

unfortunately the start of this game is unforgiving, but once you get around the first few growing pains, get some agility, get a good weapon (heidde knight sword by killing a heide knight or the flame longsword from the forest of fallen giants) then you are on your way to some of the most exhiliarating moments in the series! Someone else posted their Darklurker vid here's my reaction to FIANLLY beating it, (fight at 50:55 or so) but this was before the DLC, the DLC is right up there with the best from DS1.

Thanks for the words of encouragement I'll take a break and head back at some point, it does just seem a bit rough to start with, I know I'm not the best but I'm also no stranger to the souls series, maybe because I can't parry to save my life isn't helping either? !

Jombie

It's a fine place to start. Most fans will tell you to play DS1 because they think it's a better game. I honestly think it's a better place to start; if you like DS2, you'll like DS1.

Z..

It's a fine place to start. Most fans will tell you to play DS1 because they think it's a better game. I honestly think it's a better place to start; if you like DS2, you'll like DS1.

I think starting with 2 is a bad idea because it's so much more frustrating it will probably make more people give up.

Z..

I don't see how it's any more frustrating than the beginning of DS1.

It's a hell of alot cheaper. The difficulty in DS2 is mostly artificial, instead of focusing on strategic enemy placement like in DS1 where if you die it's your fault for being careless, in DS2 they throw clumps of enemies at you, which means you will end up dying alot more times even if you aren't exactly doing anything wrong, as all you need to really do wrong is trigger a swarm you didn't know about to be completely overwhelmed with very little chances of surviving. It happens constantly throughout DS2.

It's a hell of alot cheaper. The difficulty in DS2 is mostly artificial, instead of focusing on strategic enemy placement like in DS1 where if you die it's your fault for being careless, in DS2 they throw clumps of enemies at you, which means you will end up dying alot more times even if you aren't exactly doing anything wrong, as all you need to really do wrong is trigger a swarm you didn't know about to be completely overwhelmed with very little chances of surviving. It happens constantly throughout DS2.

Not to mention your i-frames being tied to a stat, so at the start your dodging is gimped.

I think starting with 2 is a bad idea because it's so much more frustrating it will probably make more people give up.

I have a friend who started with DS2 and loved it but found 1 too cumbersome and frustrating and just didn't bother with it past Undead Burg (he instead went on to NG+ DS2)

So I'm going to have to disagree with you and say 2 is actually a fine place to start.

Z..

I have a friend who started with DS2 and loved it but found 1 too cumbersome and frustrating and just didn't bother with it past Undead Burg (he instead went on to NG+ DS2)

So I'm going to have to disagree with you and say 2 is actually a fine place to start.

Anecdotal evidence is exactly that. And yes, it is a FINE place to start, but DS1 would be alot better.

Brakke

Banned
The thing is DS2 is way longer than Dark Souls. You might finish 2 and be too exhausted to go right into 1. Then you'd miss the best one. :(

2AdEPT

No it isn't. As far as level design goes, you'd be right about Shulva and Loyce. The enemies, and the entirety of the Iron King DLC (except Alonne and Fume Knight) are just a continuation of the lazy artificial difficulty trends so prevalent throughout DS2 and as such I'd have to disagree.

I didnt like the guantlets in the Iron King stuff, and did feel like Smelter was a tack on. But felt there was a lot of content there in those 3 DLC's (much much more than in ds1) so to have a couple parts not up to par is forgivable. You said it yourself, though, Fume 'n Alonne are iconic bosses so overall the DLC for ds2 was well worth the price of admission, particularly for those that waited to get it as one package. The Bone FIst and denial miracle alone had me occupied for hours which culminated in the trolling video above...I rarely play PVP and I even made my own music for the video, so it inspired quite a bit. Yes overall if I had to choose one over the other, Ds1 and Demon's for that matter would score out ahed of ds2 but I think the point was that the OP had officially rage quit and I was mostly just ensuring my two cents for continuing were issued.

Thanks for the words of encouragement I'll take a break and head back at some point, it does just seem a bit rough to start with, I know I'm not the best but I'm also no stranger to the souls series, maybe because I can't parry to save my life isn't helping either? !

LOL...we were all there! I had a friend who I brought through ds1 through voice on steam and he completed it and did two more characters. Then he rage quit ds2 after the forest of fallen giants beat him down at the start. He simply moved over to Dota2 and never came back. I decided to do a shieldless run from the start and wondered if had made a dumb decision at the start as well. Notwithstanding, I was lucky to have selected the explorer. Had lots of agility from the start and luckily beat the heide knight with the dagger and as such got his sword, which at the very start is leaps and bounds better than anythng else at the start except maybe the fire longsword, but really more enemies are weak to lightning. I ended up doign a whole 2nd run through ds2 as a Vanquisher seal character, i.e. fists only and figured out how to get it start as early as possible. Indeed the heide knight sword was crucial in being able to beat the only two bosses necessary from the start as to save all bosses for the seal run. As it turned out the seal run showed how OP the seal really was, and it was a very fun experience. If anyone wants to try it I have a whole playlist of vids but the best one and only one like it of its kind is here to get people started.

zsswimmer

Not to mention your i-frames being tied to a stat, so at the start your dodging is gimped.

Lol I think I realized this too late, I'm like 120 on my pc character and have not invested a single point into adaptibility. Not sure how I missed the whole thing with iframes, seeing as I browse dark souls forums and check here, but I did. For some reason I thought adaptability was the DS2 equivalent of 'resistance' in DS1, so I thought it wasn't worth investing in. Oh well, I'm almost near the end of the game with like 65 hours so I've done fine up until now.

Lol I think I realized this too late, I'm like 120 on my pc character and have not invested a single point into adaptibility. Not sure how I missed the whole thing with iframes, seeing as I browse dark souls forums and check here, but I did. For some reason I thought adaptability was the DS2 equivalent of 'resistance' in DS1, so I thought it wasn't worth investing in. Oh well, I'm almost near the end of the game with like 65 hours so I've done fine up until now.

Depending on your timing you can do alright without much Agility, but you're definitely better off putting some points into Adaptability. The fast roll in Dark Souls 1 at below 25% equip weight gives you 12 or 13 i-frames, so people generally like to have around 100 Agility in Dark Souls 2. This makes sense because despite the rolls looking different they are actually quite similar, with the only real difference being that it takes longer to make an action once your roll has completed.

I've had builds with base Agility and I have definitely found it harder to dodge attacks compared to my builds that have 100.

Maridia

I don't know if you're still reading, but I just wanted to chime in and say that I felt the same way. With the exception of the first Dark Souls, every game in this series has had a beginning that has made me want to give up on the game. I'd never seen anything like the beginning of Demons Souls, the central Yarnham mobs are brutal beyond belief, and the Forest of Fallen of Fallen Giants stands above them all. You should've seen my face when I discovered that your max health decreased with every death. I would've made posts just like yours had I known this thread existed at the time. However, for whatever reason I kept going, and I can safely say that Scholar was one of the most rewarding gaming experiences I've ever had. I would definitely encourage you to do the same, and there's definitely a great community of folks in this thread who'll help you out when you're in a bind. Enjoy Drangleic!

zsswimmer

Depending on your timing you can do alright without much Agility, but you're definitely better off putting some points into Adaptability. The fast roll in Dark Souls 1 at below 25% equip weight gives you 12 or 13 i-frames, so people generally like to have around 100 Agility in Dark Souls 2. This makes sense because despite the rolls looking different they are actually quite similar, with the only real difference being that it takes longer to make an action once your roll has completed.

I've had builds with base Agility and I have definitely found it harder to dodge attacks compared to my builds that have 100.

This must be why I found some of the DLC places real frustrating, seemed like I couldn't dodge through a lot of stuff even though the roll appeared well-timed. I can't remember what class I picked initially but I'd imagine my skill is at 10 or so lol

LOL...we were all there! I had a friend who I brought through ds1 through voice on steam and he completed it and did two more characters. Then he rage quit ds2 after the forest of fallen giants beat him down at the start. He simply moved over to Dota2 and never came back. I decided to do a shieldless run from the start and wondered if had made a dumb decision at the start as well. Notwithstanding, I was lucky to have selected the explorer. Had lots of agility from the start and luckily beat the heide knight with the dagger and as such got his sword, which at the very start is leaps and bounds better than anythng else at the start except maybe the fire longsword, but really more enemies are weak to lightning. I ended up doign a whole 2nd run through ds2 as a Vanquisher seal character, i.e. fists only and figured out how to get it start as early as possible. Indeed the heide knight sword was crucial in being able to beat the only two bosses necessary from the start as to save all bosses for the seal run. As it turned out the seal run showed how OP the seal really was, and it was a very fun experience. If anyone wants to try it I have a whole playlist of vids but the best one and only one like it of its kind is here to get people started.

I don't know if you're still reading, but I just wanted to chime in and say that I felt the same way. With the exception of the first Dark Souls, every game in this series has had a beginning that has made me want to give up on the game. I'd never seen anything like the beginning of Demons Souls, the central Yarnham mobs are brutal beyond belief, and the Forest of Fallen of Fallen Giants stands above them all. You should've seen my face when I discovered that your max health decreased with every death. I would've made posts just like yours had I known this thread existed at the time. However, for whatever reason I kept going, and I can safely say that Scholar was one of the most rewarding gaming experiences I've ever had. I would definitely encourage you to do the same, and there's definitely a great community of folks in this thread who'll help you out when you're in a bind. Enjoy Drangleic!

Thanks both, it is weird because even when Demon Souls was absolutely wrecking me at the start I powered through and even my struggles in DS1 and BB, maybe I was having a bad night also, I think switching between games as i'm doing probably isn't helping either and it's not something I normally do.

I do have the fire long sword and I started as a knight so maybe I need to get that agility up and also work out how to jump attack, I can't manage that to save my life!

I'll keep at it and let you know how I get on :)

Greddleok

Started this up last night. Man, I've missed Dark Souls. Downed the first two bosses, who are both quite easy (although the giant was glitching around the room sometimes).

Why does the mace do like 3 times the damage of a broad sword?! It's insane.

Brakke

Banned
Fuck the Havel Squad in Shulva.

FUCK IT RIGHT UP THE ASS

You gots to summon on that for real.

The archer is pretty easy to rush down if you charge him and have enough stamina to keep attacks raining at him.

Havel is pretty easy to backstab.

Other guy is mostly unremarkable.

BUT! It's hard af to do anything when there's always an attack coming at you...

Started this up last night. Man, I've missed Dark Souls. Downed the first two bosses, who are both quite easy (although the giant was glitching around the room sometimes).

Why does the mace do like 3 times the damage of a broad sword?! It's insane.

Yeah mace is OP as fuck. By pure chance Cleric was my first character and Mace is his starting weapon. It worked wonders so even on another character I bought it ASAP and never looked back. Still using Mace +10 after 60 hours (all base content done) and with the DLC in progress. It destroys the trash mobs in 3-4 quick hits or 2-3 heavy hits and that's all one handed (even in DLC) (!!!).

For NG+ I am planning to dump it though and start using either Pursuer Sword or Dragon Tooth. Kinda wanting to roleplay Pursuer with his Sword & Shield and Steel Armor. I love Pursuer's design.

Mace + Drangleic Shield which can be obtained in the first 2 hours of the game and you are set until NG+.

BTW much, much later you will find Magic Mace! And Morgenstern which has the same moveset but deals more damage and looks hella cooler.

Top Bottom