• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Brakke

Banned
lol why did he just lay Big Bad Voodoo Daddy under that video

edit: OMG the title is so good too "DS2 Fume Knight NG+ No Rolling No Blocking 360 No Scope"

First Fume Knight then Ice Tiger, wow. These 2 bosses are 100x harder than anything encountered before them.

Fume killed me over 50 times alread (I write it down) and The Tiger 6 times. Cannot make a dent in any of them :( and Havel's Shield is just not working.

I guess I will have to fight them "The Pursuer way" meaning dropping my shield altogether and never blocking... Both bosses do chip damage anyway and drain my stamina even with the special Bird ring like there's no tomorrow.

Bah. After 80 hours I hit a difficulty wall :/

And OF COURSE there is a SL1 Covenant of Champions Fume Knight/ Ice Tiger kill out there on YouTube. Jesus Christ do I suck or what? Not gonna watch them, fuck this.

Brakke

Banned
Dear StoppedInTracks, it has been a pleasure watching you clash with this game. Thanks for sharing your experience I enjoy reading along.

Persevere! Fume Knight is tough FOR SURE but not unstoppable. Even in second form, his attacks are generally telegraphed and predictable. The trick for me was staying calm. Always keep enough stamina on hand for two rolls, never swing at him more than twice (depending on your weapon). He hits super hard so always prioritize safety over scoring a hit. I had a fully-upgraded dragon shield (the one that looks like a ying-yang): it had high magic and fire resist and 95% physical. Even then I could weather maybe two blows. You gotta keep rolling.

For the tiger... I'm afraid I lucked out with an excellent summon-buddy. I never really understood that fight, truth be told. Happened to take him down with help, but even then it took me all my flasks...

Thank you, Brakke.

I love this game and I really like writing about my adventures in there. Really glad some people are still reading this thread and playing the game for the first time as well!

I will do the two DLC bosses, mang.

Just gotta GIT GUD...

Thank you, Brakke.

I love this game and I really like writing about my adventures in there. Really glad some people are still reading this thread and playing the game for the first time as well!

I will do the two DLC bosses, mang.

Just gotta GIT GUD...

I'm enjoying reading your adventures too, i've got pretty much nowhere in this game yet, I was getting wrecked int he Lost Bastille for a bit last night, I think I need to farm somewhere and get my stamina up a bit as I seem to run out quite quickly, I forget to keep patient most of the time but there does seem to be choke points of masses of enemies which I still seem to struggle with.

I've actually found the bosses easier than getting to them so far, I've done the Fallen Giant/Pursuer (had to summon on that)/Dragon Rider/No Man's Wharf boss, I do find I can't play it for hours though like I did with Bloodborne but maybe that's because I still need to improve a lot!

Greddleok

3 paths to choose. Further in to Heide, where the dragon is, Lost Bastille or into the sewers.

I love having options, makes it so much fun.

Brakke

Banned
Yoooooo that tiger wasn't invisible for me. >.> Seems you took a "wrong" turn. I never even went that way until I had searched all the other path.

Just to make sure you know: don't challenge the King of that area until you have rescued all the knights. Once you've rescued the first, that should be obvious, but if you never even realized there were knights to rescue, that'd be a disaster...

Yoooooo that tiger wasn't invisible for me. >.> Seems you took a "wrong" turn. I never even went that way until I had searched all the other path.

Just to make sure you know: don't challenge the King of that area until you have rescued all the knights. Once you've rescued the first, that should be obvious, but if you never even realized there were knights to rescue, that'd be a disaster...

Heh, that's not mine video! I wouldn't even dare to try him like that...

neoemonk

StoppedInTracks: I love your posts. You don't suck. I probably do though. Hahaha. Last night I died a lot on the Royal Aegis and it was frustrating because I knew he wasn't that hard, I just kept screwing up my roll timing. Then I went and beat my head against the Throne Keeper and Watcher for a while. I would say that fight was deceptively difficult. But starting from Undead Ditch bonfire to killing the Throne Duo was probably about four hours of gameplay for me. So cheer up man!

2AdEPT: What is this I don't even

strafer

Wow @ Fume Knight

Dropping out of this thread until I beat him. He already destroyed me 10+ times... never got him below 40% health and I can finish his first form without getting hit at all.

Currently am trying different shield combinations, Rebel's seems the best even if I take some damage during his first form.

Now I understand why he is one of the most hated bosses in DaS2.

See you guys in uhh... a couple of days when I nail him :(

Fume Knight is a bitch. Took me a couple of months.

Took out Fume Knight and the other boss from that DLC
not sure if StoppedInTracks knows about Sir Alonne
last night. I had a lot more trouble with the latter. I was surprised how well I did against Fume, but I remember in vanilla it took me forever to kill him. Now on to Loyce, which I never got around to in vanilla despite owning it.

Yeah he can be a real bish, but just one of many bosses and mobs that I think the developers were pushing people toward using the powerstanced dual wielding set ups. I wont say its easier to fight without a shield, but it s far more rewarding. It was simply boring to watch Man vs. Game or Patrick Klepik tank up and turtle their way through both souls games....I think Miyazaki trolling the shield user in Bloodborne wasthe final evidence needed to confirm my theory that despite haivng to cater to the masses to get enough sales, Miyazaki and co. always have the 'real' souls game hidden underneath the advertised title. I am not joking when I say the real DS2 was meant to be played as a dex "ninja type" if not a Vanquisher's seal fist only character. I was skeptical myself until I tried fist only, but they made it hard to do as to reward the diligent. I developed a strat using the older Vageta 311 videos as a guide, but found I could get all the ascetics necessary to kill Rhoy the exploer from the DLC instead of killign too many reg game bosses or trying to get teh awestones at lowe level PVP. As such you can get the Vanquisher's seal run started a few hours into a new character and still have all but the Rotten and Rat vanquard to do fists only. I made a video on how to do this early. I took only a few housrs to do the whole preparation phase but the video is sped up at times and condensed into a 13 minute vid. I strongly encourage you all to try to the Seal run...it makes it a whole new game!

Damnit, this makes me want to try fists+vanquishers. I was so close to done with the game, too...

Thanks for the vid to get the seal early. I wish vageta were still making videos.

Decided to give this game another shot. I purchased and played about 25 hours when it was originally released for pc, pre-SOTFS release. Started playing this on PS4 this time, and the game is a bitch. I don't remember it being this hard in the beginning area. I haven't even made it to the first boss yet. Is the re-release considered a harder challenge that the original?

Greddleok

One shot both the Flexile Sentry and the Ruin Sentinels. Feel pretty badass.

My controller disconnected in the middle of the ruin sentinels when I had one left. I hadn't even taken any damage at that point and had to rush to switch controllers, when it finally connected I had a tiny slither of health left. Lol

Maridia

Decided to give this game another shot. I purchased and played about 25 hours when it was originally released for pc, pre-SOTFS release. Started playing this on PS4 this time, and the game is a bitch. I don't remember it being this hard in the beginning area. I haven't even made it to the first boss yet. Is the re-release considered a harder challenge that the original?

No idea, but you're not insane: the Forest of Fallen Giants is fucking tough. I came powering into the game straight from the end credits of Bloodborne, kinda expecting to sail through a good chunk, and I got brought down a peg or two real quick. It's hard to articulate how frustrated I was with the life meter that shrinks every time you die for the first few hours.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I came powering into the game straight from the end credits of Bloodborne, kinda expecting to sail through a good chunk, and I got brought down a peg or two real quick.

This is Dark Souls II in a nutshell, and why I think so many people remain so salty about the game. So much of the criticism I've read seems to me a deflection covering the basic truth that the complainant had their ego checked and they really didn't like it.

Its always rationalized away that the game is "unfair" or "cheap" compared to its predecessors. which simply isn't the case.

Jombie

Wow @ Fume Knight

Dropping out of this thread until I beat him. He already destroyed me 10+ times... never got him below 40% health and I can finish his first form without getting hit at all.

Currently am trying different shield combinations, Rebel's seems the best even if I take some damage during his first form.

Now I understand why he is one of the most hated bosses in DaS2.

See you guys in uhh... a couple of days when I nail him :(

I love the Fume Knight, one of my favorite Souls bosses. I've fought him so many times it's second nature, including a sl1 NG+ fight.

Strip yourself of any armor, equip a Cloranthy ring - stamina and agility are your best friends in this fight. Use a weapon with fairly high DPS; my weapon of choice against him is a rapier. Always stay close during the first phase, getting in a hit or two when feasible.

The second phase is easier to most, it's mostly about baiting him into attacks and countering.

Maridia

This is Dark Souls II in a nutshell, and why I think so many people remain so salty about the game. So much of the criticism I've read seems to me a deflection covering the basic truth that the complainant had their ego checked and they really didn't like it.

Its always rationalized away that the game is "unfair" or "cheap" compared to its predecessors. which simply isn't the case.

Yeah, I've never heard the phrase "artificial difficulty" thrown around so much in my life. Had I not played the game, I'd think that it required a Guitar Hero controller to play or something. But no, they're talking about having to change tactics to deal with multiple enemies.

Jombie

My final theory about the DS2 hate stems from fans wanting it to be more than a game - a replication of the feeling they first had playing Demon's / Dark Souls - and the backlash ensued after it turned out to be just a game. A great game, just not a nostalgic one to them - though I've heard people talking about DS2, if it's the only Souls game they've played, talk about it in the same way as other fans talk about Dark Souls.

2AdEPT

2AdEPT: What is this I don't even
Sorry, I guess there is are lots of holes in the blurb if you dont already know what a Vanquisher's Seal run is. The idea is that if you join that Champions COvenant in Majula you can get these awestones for killing invaders and level up in the covenant...the grand prize for 50 awestones is the Vanquisher's seal ring, which enables you to
do incredible damage with just a bit of str and your bare fists. The DPS powerstanced is incredible DPS and you can destroy early bosses in just a few hits.
Vageta 311 did an excellent video series just before retiring from Youtube becuase he showed how to go offline and kill Rhoy the explorer, an NPC invader over and over using bonfire ascetics to get the stones fast and kill few bosses as to use the seal for a greater percentage of the game. I used his strat on my second character....my first being a dex no sheild one, and was hooked. I didnt even bother with other weapons when the DLC came out and did the entire DLC fists only. I also made the video linked above as I recognized the DLC could allow anyone to do a seal run much earlier and with less toil than in Vageta's, then dated videos. You can start a new character. use the heide knight sword and get it to +4 with stones found in early game, and kill only the Rotten and rat vanguard by dropping down the hole in Majula and speed running through the gulch and first part of the DLC, grab the ascetics you need, then get all 50 stones killing Rhoy and one other invader (I chose Jester Thomas and showed how to cheese him at low level.)

Took out Fume Knight and the other boss from that DLC
not sure if StoppedInTracks knows about Sir Alonne
last night. I had a lot more trouble with the latter. I was surprised how well I did against Fume, but I remember in vanilla it took me forever to kill him. Now on to Loyce, which I never got around to in vanilla despite owning it.

Damnit, this makes me want to try fists+vanquishers. I was so close to done with the game, too...

Thanks for the vid to get the seal early. I wish vageta were still making videos.

Yeah I thought Vageta was the best vid braodcaster out there, but after doing my own videos for a year or so now now I can see why people quit, it can take the fun out of actaully PLAYNG the games to be continuously editing video. I never really took it serious enough to monetize my channel and enjoy being part of the community and sharing cool stuff like this whenever I can get some energy to edit and/or write a new song for the video.

Never done Loyce have you?!?!? Well if you thought the Vanquisher's seal looked enticing try the
Bone fist
on for size.. at first Ithoughti t was just another caestus and never tred it on...wrong..along with the denial miracle, best PVP trolling weapon ever!

My final theory about the DS2 hate stems from fans wanting it to be more than a game - a replication of the feeling they first had playing Demon's / Dark Souls - and the backlash ensued after it turned out to be just a game. A great game, just not a nostalgic one to them - though I've heard people talking about DS2, if it's the only Souls game they've played, talk about it in the same way as other fans talk about Dark Souls.
An excellent point. No one could ever replace their virgin run through whichever soulsborne game they did first...for me it happened to be Demons' but usually whichever game anyone plays first holds a special poace in their heart, if it isnt their favourite. Even DS2 ;)

this is awesome, thanks for this Dresden! Those backsteps facing sideways are GOLD...TORO!

I don't know if anyone else has said it already, but Vendrick & Ancient Dragon can fuck right off. :)

Gonna go and do the 2 remaining DLCs, and come back to these two fuckers.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

This is true.

The thing about DS2 though is that you can tell it was designed very consciously not to be just a re-run of Dark or Demon's. For example, all the Souls' games like to set their stall out early on in terms of challenge/difficulty. In every Miyazaki directed one, this involves putting the player in front of a boss they are 99% of the time, completely unprepared for.

DS2 is unique in that what it stresses from the moment you appear in Things Betwixt, is not to aggro enemies needlessly. Its so pervasive that its practically the theme of the game (dogs and ogres in first area, pigs in majula, large numbers of enemies in Forest, and so on. The game practically holds up a giant glowing sign at the start saying "SLOW DOWN MOTHERFUNKER"!

In SOTFS this approach is even more apparent with the additional enemies that remain passive unless you attack or otherwise trigger them to be hostile.

Meshing with this is the way that ranged attacking is now a core part of the required strategy for many areas, rather than just a "cheap" option to mitigate risk its basically a necessity.

I see these approaches as an attempt to avoid excessive passivity in play-style; turtling up behind a shield and grinding forwards simply does not work so well in DS2 because it will typically result in more and more enemies joining the fray. Its much more a game of finesse than brute force.

One of my favourite bits in the game, and I think the one most instructive of the design approach is the "room of death" in Brume Tower. The game shows you a room full of enemies (big dude by the door, snipers on a ledge and in the corner, axe wielding baddies waiting for you to step off the ladder plus a flaming nadalia idol...) basically begging you to jump in and try your luck against stacked odds...

...Or you can take the hint offered by the barrel holding hollow near the trap-door and work your way round to another room with more of these unfortunates and basically shepherd as many as you can down into the danger zone where you can detonate them tactically from afar using a combination of flame arrows and alluring skulls.

This is not a cheap encounter, or even a trap. Its a great little physical puzzle that requires the player to be aware of the tools they have at their disposal and the possibilities of constrained topography.

Yeah, I've never heard the phrase "artificial difficulty" thrown around so much in my life. Had I not played the game, I'd think that it required a Guitar Hero controller to play or something. But no, they're talking about having to change tactics to deal with multiple enemies.

I love DeS, DaS and BB but I honestly didn't enjoy DaS2 even after restarting it twice over. I don't think it's anywhere as good as the other games. Haven't played SotFS though.

Greddleok

I've not encountered anything unfair other than after beating the Sentries, a dude blows up in a cell. I had basically no health left, as I mentioned earlier, and it killed me, making me drop like 20k+ souls.

I had the incredibly tense run back, with the mobs of great sword wielding guys. Managed to pick it up, but I thought it was fucking cheap.

neoemonk

Invasions are starting to upset me. In part because I get one shot by everybody. I have a caster character but I favor the PVE spells that are basically useless in PVP (or maybe I just don't know how to use them). To top it all off, I have been killed multiple times by players that are actually facing perpendicular to me. This is not an exaggeration. It has happened more than once as well. Guy isn't even facing me, chops, and I die. So frustrating.

Ok, whiny rant over. Grrrrr.

Brakke

Banned
I've not encountered anything unfair other than after beating the Sentries, a dude blows up in a cell. I had basically no health left, as I mentioned earlier, and it killed me, making me drop like 20k+ souls.

I had the incredibly tense run back, with the mobs of great sword wielding guys. Managed to pick it up, but I thought it was fucking cheap.

lol nah that one's on you, sis. You think killing a boss means you're safe? You're never safe.

CONSTANT VIGILANCE

neoemonk

Got the Ashen Mist Heart last night. The end is nigh! I ordered Bloodborne on Amazon yesterday as well but I'll be sad to leave Dark Souls II. I think it's a strong game that holds its own in the series, and I've played Demon's and the original Dark as well.

Maridia

I love DeS, DaS and BB but I honestly didn't enjoy DaS2 even after restarting it twice over. I don't think it's anywhere as good as the other games. Haven't played SotFS though.

Not enjoying something is totally legitimate. For what it's worth, I don't know what would be present in Scholar that would make someone who didn't enjoy vanilla feel otherwise here.

That's what Homeward Bones are for. Come on!

Jombie

One of my favourite bits in the game, and I think the one most instructive of the design approach is the "room of death" in Brume Tower. The game shows you a room full of enemies (big dude by the door, snipers on a ledge and in the corner, axe wielding baddies waiting for you to step off the ladder plus a flaming nadalia idol...) basically begging you to jump in and try your luck against stacked odds...

...Or you can take the hint offered by the barrel holding hollow near the trap-door and work your way round to another room with more of these unfortunates and basically shepherd as many as you can down into the danger zone where you can detonate them tactically from afar using a combination of flame arrows and alluring skulls.

These games are all about patience. With that and the tools that are given to you, there's no reason you can't have success. If you just try and barrel through an area like that you're more than likely going to get smoked and it's 100% on you.

I understand the complaints, especially when it comes to a places like Frigid Outskirts - places that are blatant co-op areas and with OP enemies, but I take pride in getting through those areas solo and beating the bosses by myself.

To me, nothing compares to the rage and salt I've exuded over Shrine of Storms 4-2, but I wouldn't call it cheap. Patience is always rewarded.

neoemonk

I just beat Nashandra and I have to say she was the easiest boss I had faced in a while in this game. Definitely easier than Gwyn. There's still so much I haven't done in this game but I'm going to dive into Bloodborne for now. I may pick up Scholar of the First Sin since I don't really mind starting a fresh character, but we'll see. There are other games outside of From Software after all :D

2AdEPT

I just beat Nashandra and I have to say she was the easiest boss I had faced in a while in this game. Definitely easier than Gwyn. There's still so much I haven't done in this game but I'm going to dive into Bloodborne for now. I may pick up Scholar of the First Sin since I don't really mind starting a fresh character, but we'll see. There are other games outside of From Software after all :D

make sure to try fist characters in DS2 at some point!! With the vanquisher's seal, the improved dual weilding powerstance, and the bone fist from Loyce, you can make a whole new game out of it.There is no game in all of Miyazaki land that did as well a job on fist only characters, The bone fist easily has the best moveset of any weapon in any game of the soulsborne series. Most people didnt even try it on once I bet...I didnt until someone gave me a strong recommendation, well here's my strong recommendation to you! ;)

Guys I just beat Aava!!! The Ice Tiger!!!

Holy shit my heart is still pumping.

For the past 3 days I was trying to beat one of the two bosses: Fume or Aava. Both were killing me easily and you cannot believe the frustration that culminated in those 72 hours inside me.

Here's how it went:

The Tiger killed me I don't know...30 times at least. As always I first tried a turtle build with Havel's Shield +5. It blocked majority of his hits fine but then I was still eating damage and stamina drain was just too much - didn't left me for any openings to attack.

So I decided, after 90 hours of playing this game, to cheat and level up my Adaptability which was sitting at 6 points for the entire game. Yesternight I spent 4 hours killing Ruin Sentinels over & over again and gathered about 1M souls in the process (3k a piece that means I killed 300+ Ruin Sentinels...) This allowed me to level up Agility stat to 105 for fast rolling.
It feels bad man... whole game without upping the Adaptability and two DLC bosses make me to up it :( I mean SL1 runs have it at 6 so the problem is in me.

Then I dropped Havel's Shield, Havel's set and went with my old & trusty Drangleic set. Mace +10 of course and the Blosom Shield for faster stamina regen. Equipment-wise I was ready for the fight. Skill wise - I was not.

For the first 20-25 tries I decided that the best strategy would be to always roll backwards when Aava attacks. Any single attack: claw swipe, AoE burst, munch jump etc. I would just roll backwards. That was fine but it did not give me many opportunities to punish him. Moreover, rolling backwards worked as long as we were staying along the long battle arena and not with a wall against my back. The moment we were staying across the arena I was fucked cause I could not roll backwards. So that had to be changed! I started experimenting with rolling to the right. Sometimes worked, sometimes not... he kept on killing me. Then I decided to always roll to the left. ALWAYS. From every claw swipe or running jump. Surprisingly... this worked. I learned his claw swipe delay in the meantime and could 99% of the time punish him with one heavy 2H swing of my mace after doing the left side roll. When he casted Souls Spears I would immediately run towards him and hit him twice while the spears crashed to the ground.

The strategy worked VERY WELL. I used only 3 Estus flasks in the last attempt and all were used at once :D I was chugging like crazy and instead of two gulps I took three :D It was very tense and very nervous - especially when he had < 50% health left (for the first time EVER! Can you imagine?!? Getting him to < 50% health for the first time ever and killing him in the same fight. Woo!) Sometimes I am thinking boss battles would be easier if you could disable the boss HP bar... It distracts you and makes you incredibly tense when the red part touches for the first time the letters forming the name of the boss...

He hit me only twice (!!!) in the entire round. Impressive no? From getting totally WRECKED by him not even knowing when to attack and eating every single hit to killing him in almost a perfect clean way.

Most important thing for me: if I can beat Aava w/o shied just by rolling I CAN ALSO BEAT FUME KNIGHT W/O SHIELD JUST BY ROLLING! This victory has given me strength and confidence that it is possible. Yes, it is possible. I just have to work on my timings and learn his attacks, memorize the fuck out of them!

Woo!!! Fume - you bitch, YOU ARE NEXT!!!

Maridia

Guys I just beat Aava!!! The Ice Tiger!!!

Holy shit my heart is still pumping.

For the past 3 days I was trying to beat one of the two bosses: Fume or Aava. Both were killing me easily and you cannot believe the frustration that culminated in those 72 hours inside me.

Here's how it went:

The Tiger killed me I don't know...30 times at least. As always I first tried a turtle build with Havel's Shield +5. It blocked majority of his hits fine but then I was still eating damage and stamina drain was just too much - didn't left me for any openings to attack.

So I decided, after 90 hours of playing this game, to cheat and level up my Adaptability which was sitting at 6 points for the entire game. Yesternight I spent 4 hours killing Ruin Sentinels over & over again and gathered about 1M souls in the process (3k a piece that means I killed 300+ Ruin Sentinels...) This allowed me to level up Agility stat to 105 for fast rolling.
It feels bad man... whole game without upping the Adaptability and two DLC bosses make me to up it :( I mean SL1 runs have it at 6 so the problem is in me.

Then I dropped Havel's Shield, Havel's set and went with my old & trusty Drangleic set. Mace +10 of course and the Blosom Shield for faster stamina regen. Equipment-wise I was ready for the fight. Skill wise - I was not.

For the first 20-25 tries I decided that the best strategy would be to always roll backwards when Aava attacks. Any single attack: claw swipe, AoE burst, munch jump etc. I would just roll backwards. That was fine but it did not give me many opportunities to punish him. Moreover, rolling backwards worked as long as we were staying along the long battle arena and not with a wall against my back. The moment we were staying across the arena I was fucked cause I could not roll backwards. So that had to be changed! I started experimenting with rolling to the right. Sometimes worked, sometimes not... he kept on killing me. Then I decided to always roll to the left. ALWAYS. From every claw swipe or running jump. Surprisingly... this worked. I learned his claw swipe delay in the meantime and could 99% of the time punish him with one heavy 2H swing of my mace after doing the left side roll. When he casted Souls Spears I would immediately run towards him and hit him twice while the spears crashed to the ground.

The strategy worked VERY WELL. I used only 3 Estus flasks in the last attempt and all were used at once :D I was chugging like crazy and instead of two gulps I took three :D It was very tense and very nervous - especially when he had < 50% health left (for the first time EVER! Can you imagine?!? Getting him to < 50% health for the first time ever and killing him in the same fight. Woo!) Sometimes I am thinking boss battles would be easier if you could disable the boss HP bar... It distracts you and makes you incredibly tense when the red part touches for the first time the letters forming the name of the boss...

He hit me only twice (!!!) in the entire round. Impressive no? From getting totally WRECKED by him not even knowing when to attack and eating every single hit to killing him in almost a perfect clean way.

Most important thing for me: if I can beat Aava w/o shied just by rolling I CAN ALSO BEAT FUME KNIGHT W/O SHIELD JUST BY ROLLING! This victory has given me strength and confidence that it is possible. Yes, it is possible. I just have to work on my timings and learn his attacks, memorize the fuck out of them!

Woo!!! Fume - you bitch, YOU ARE NEXT!!!

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia doesn't have boss life bars, and it's miserable. It sucks not knowing whether or not the strategy you're employing is on track for victory.

Anyway, good luck with Fume Knight... and all the crazy shit after Fumey and Aava! Your boss fight summaries are awesome!

Daante

Been playing quite much latley on my vacation from work and all, and im really enjoying it.

Even though its my 3 third time playing this game trough, where the previous 2 where with the original, and after the last play trough i said i would never touch the game again.

I have the ice castle dlc area left, and upgrade a few weapons, then im off to NG+!.

Greddleok

That's what Homeward Bones are for. Come on!

I could see the bonfire right there! You're probably joking, but why would I bone, when I can just walk 4 paces to a safe point?!

Even if I had lost the souls, they're so liberal with them that I could have easily farmed 20K back by helping people out.

So, The Pursuer that turns up during the Lost Bastille is still kicking my ass, I don't know why but I just can't get this guy down, i've beaten harder and faster bosses in Bloodborne but this guy is wrecking me and i'm slowly watching my health bar deteriorate, nothing else so far in this game has given me as much trouble as this guy, I can't parry to save my life but even dodging around him I still get smashed!

So, The Pursuer that turns up during the Lost Bastille is still kicking my ass, I don't know why but I just can't get this guy down, i've beaten harder and faster bosses in Bloodborne but this guy is wrecking me and i'm slowly watching my health bar deteriorate, nothing else so far in this game has given me as much trouble as this guy, I can't parry to save my life but even dodging around him I still get smashed!

Pursuer the boss or mini-Pursuers?

neoemonk

make sure to try fist characters in DS2 at some point!! With the vanquisher's seal, the improved dual weilding powerstance, and the bone fist from Loyce, you can make a whole new game out of it.There is no game in all of Miyazaki land that did as well a job on fist only characters, The bone fist easily has the best moveset of any weapon in any game of the soulsborne series. Most people didnt even try it on once I bet...I didnt until someone gave me a strong recommendation, well here's my strong recommendation to you! ;)

I just finished vanilla on PC last night. I will probably pick up Scholar on PS4 when the price gets a little lower because most of my friends are on PS4 now, so I'll be starting a fresh character. I will keep this in mind.

From Software: "GIT GUD, Borys."

fumeg1siq.jpg

Borys: "OK"

Well that was... easy once I stepped outside the turtle mentality...which BTW I only entered into late in to the game (Pursuer was all rolling). Turtling = NOT THE WAY TO PLAY THIS GAME.

Same exact equipment as in the Aava fight:

- Drangleic Mail +5
- Drangleic Leggins +5
- Drangleic Gauntlets +5
- Jester's Cap +10
- Mace +10 (no infusion)
- Havel's Magic Greatshield +5 for the first phase (unequipped during his change)
- Chloranty Ring +1

Some highlights from the victorious fight:

- having 10% health and waiting for Fume to "stagger" once he hits 30% of health in order to Estus (RISKY AS FUCK)
- trying to roll into his wide sweep flame attack and succeeding 50% of times
- actually killing him during the wide sweep flame attack after rolling into it and unloading 2H combo
- always rolling to the left. ALWAYS. Just like in Aava fight.
- killing the first form quick enough that my Crystal Weapon was still on

All in all Fume Knight killed me 63 times.

IT FEELS GOOD TO PUT THAT BITCH DOWN, GAF. I guess 105 Agility is really the key to this game, huh?

Brakke, why you banned :( :( ?

Got the three Crowns from the three DLCs. For some reason the Ivory King battle was super annoying for me: sometimes the Charred knights would gangbang me and kill me, I couldn't for the life of me time the King's impale attack so he *always* impaled me etc. To be fair he killed me only 4-5 times before I nailed him but still the approach to him was super annoying. What's interesting is that for this battle I always rolled to the right and it worked. Another no-shield boss fight, though. I simply *loved* the Eleum Loyce area. All the different shortcuts, all the buildings and towers you can go in from one side & out on another where you have already been before 2 hours ago was magnificent. The DLCs have incredible level design.

Memory of the Old Iron King <--- lol. The road to the boss (Sir Alonne?) is incredibly shitty. Gonna extinct every single fucker out there.

Important question: I have the three crowns. Can I leave Sir Alonne for later? I mean go kill the last boss, kill the second last boss (hidden DLC ending) and I would still not trigger NG+ and be able to go to Memory of the Old Iron King?

Jombie

Yeah, go get Vendrick to bless the crowns (have to kill him first and have his crown from Shrine of Amana) beat the game and you can still do whatever before moving to NG+.

Just keep in mind that the story effect of the crowns will no longer work when / if you move to NG+.

Got the three Crowns from the three DLCs. For some reason the Ivory King battle was super annoying for me: sometimes the Charred knights would gangbang me and kill me, I couldn't for the life of me time the King's impale attack so he *always* impaled me etc. To be fair he killed me only 4-5 times before I nailed him but still the approach to him was super annoying. What's interesting is that for this battle I always rolled to the right and it worked. Another no-shield boss fight, though. I simply *loved* the Eleum Loyce area. All the different shortcuts, all the buildings and towers you can go in from one side & out on another where you have already been before 2 hours ago was magnificent. The DLCs have incredible level design.

Memory of the Old Iron King <--- lol. The road to the boss (Sir Alonne?) is incredibly shitty. Gonna extinct every single fucker out there.

Important question: I have the three crowns. Can I leave Sir Alonne for later? I mean go kill the last boss, kill the second last boss (hidden DLC ending) and I would still not trigger NG+ and be able to go to Memory of the Old Iron King?

the road to sir alonne is awful. but you can run straight to it. you just have to be quick and dodge at the right time. having said that, i thought sir alonne was harder than fume knight (the timing of his attacks is seemingly random) so good luck!

Tarkus

the road to sir alonne is awful. but you can run straight to it. you just have to be quick and dodge at the right time. having said that, i thought sir alonne was harder than fume knight (the timing of his attacks is seemingly random) so good luck!
I second this opinion. Fucker has human AI, endless stamina, and HP.

Jombie

In the beginning, the only attacks you really have to learn to dodge are his sweeping, vertical and buff attacks. The second phase is simple, as he tends to spam his jump attack.

Yeah, go get Vendrick to bless the crowns (have to kill him first and have his crown from Shrine of Amana) beat the game and you can still do whatever before moving to NG+.

Just keep in mind that the story effect of the crowns will no longer work when / if you move to NG+.

Wait the Crowns give you 100% Curse resistance and the last boss of the game uses Curse?

LOL.

Top Bottom