• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Greddleok

I still feel like my rolls are slightly delayed. I hit the button and a fraction of a second later, my character will move. It's lead to some frustrating deaths, but I'm not sure if I'm just remember wrong how well souls games control, or whether it's a DS2 specific thing.

Random thought of the day:

99% of Havel Gank Squad videos on the web kill first the Archer, then the Samurai and Havel last. Doesn't matter if wiith poison, bow or kiting.

I killed Samurai first, Havel second and the Archer last. Never kited, took them head on and stood my ground.

:bow Based Dark Souls 2 DLC :bow

The gank squad really isn't hard, I guess its depending on your build. I was pure melee and one backstab with a +5 BK UGS did 75%.

A 100% shield can tank most of their hits if you are melee. Backstabbing them is childs play and will ruin the bleed guy. With him gone the havel dude is fairly easy as he is slow. Reposition if an arrow hits you, he will have to do so too. I mostly fought at the starting platform.

Ha, this guy did it the same way. Melee and stayed on the starting platform killing Samurai first, then Havel and then the Archer. Props to you, SkylineRKR!

having said that, i thought sir alonne was harder than fume knight (the timing of his attacks is seemingly random) so good luck!

I second this opinion. Fucker has human AI, endless stamina, and HP.

Guys, Fume Knight (his 2nd phase) killed me 63 times.

Sir Alonne killed me once when he had 15% health left.

Alonne can be and has been TURTLED TO DEATH by me. Incredibly easy. Killed him on my 2nd try drinking only one Estus.

(Havel Shield +5) + (+5 Stability Ring) + (Stamina Regen Ring +1) = Alonne couldn't do SHIT to me, just like the first phase of Fume Knight. Totally hopeless like a baby. The only attacks that could damage me were the jumping slam and impalement and the impalement is telegraphed from miles away.

Very disappointed in this fight... From what people were saying here and there he was the 2nd hardest boss in the entire DLC and 3rd hardest in the entire game: Fume --> Darklurker --> Alonne. Meanwhile he was like Dragonrider or Mirror Knight. Block and hit him, block and hit him etc. Burnt Ivory King was way harder for me. Aava, The King's Pet was a nightmare next to Alonne for me.

On to the last piece of DLCs left: FRIGID OUTSKIRTS. Then it's end game time, finally.

Manu

Very disappointed in this fight... From what people were saying here and there he was the 2nd hardest boss in the entire DLC and 3rd hardest in the entire game: Fume --> Darklurker --> Alonne. Meanwhile he was like Dragonrider or Mirror Knight. Block and hit him, block and hit him etc. Burnt Ivory King was way harder for me. Aava, The King's Pet was a nightmare next to Alonne for me.

Meanwhile I only died once to Aava while Alonne made me his bitch for a couple hours.

It's the beauty of Dark Souls.

Tarkus

I killed Fume in 4 tries I believe. Killed Sinh in 1. Alonne in 20 or so.

StoppedinTracks probably had it easy because of turtling with a greatshield and super high SL. That's just how it works with some bosses.

I haven't used a shield for blocking since December 2014.

I killed Fume in 4 tries I believe. Killed Sinh in 1. Alonne in 20 or so.

StoppedinTracks probably had it easy because of turtling with a greatshield and super high SL. That's just how it works with some bosses.

I haven't used a shield for blocking since December 2014.

Yeah, i was a rolling, dragon tooth rocking son of a bitch and alonne was hard as fuck to me.

Are they fucking kidding me? Two Aavas at the same time?

I think I'll pass on this boss. Cannot imagine defeating them, ever. And the road to the boss is much worse than Smelter's or Alonne's because it takes forever to get there and Prism Stones disappear after you die. Nice concept for the blizzard, though.

Jombie

The NPC summons are pretty good. It's worth it to get the Loyce Greatsword - one of my favorite weapons in the game.

Manu

I think I'll pass on this boss. Cannot imagine defeating them, ever. And the road to the boss is much worse than Smelter's or Alonne's because it takes forever to get there and Prism Stones disappear after you die. Nice concept for the blizzard, though.

I actually almost got them on my first try, but I died trying to reach them on all my following attempts, so I just said fuck it and never got back.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I must admit to loving the murderhorse rodeo. The trip across the frozen outskirts is like a mini-game unto itself. Super fun as a co-op exercise and actually pretty damn entertaining with npc support.

The thing is, its a completely optional area so its not like its cock-blocking speedrunners or anyone looking to just get through the primary story.

The DLC areas are all absolutely outstanding imho, and to me anyway really shows what a crock all the carping about the "B" team was. To be honest these 3 areas feel like the natural successors to Demon's Soul's archways, and that's no small compliment.

Kriken

Funny enough, I hated Smelter Demon's path WAY more than that one. My advice is to use the three NPCS provided at the beginning and rest up at in between each run to the next building/boss door. I died quite a lot to that boss, but the summoned help does work well for distractions

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Question for Scholar owners on PS4: in multiplayer, is it your character's name that shows up (like on PC Dark Souls II vanilla) or your PSN name (like PS3 vanilla)? Thanks and sorry if I asked before, I don't remember.... :$

Jombie

PSN handle.

I wish you could choose your character's name like you can in Bloodborne. It's kind of immersion-breaking when you get invaded by xXx420dankBlaze782923xXx

Yes. Thank you God. 5th time's the charm.

150800039pskf.jpg

Easily the 2nd most intense fight I had in this game right after Belfry Gargoyles. An incredible challenge. If you look closely at the picture above you will notice two things:

- 0 Estus
- StoppedInTracks is not wielding his Mace +10, weird

Well, not weird... can you imagine my Mace +10 BROKE DURING THE FIGHT?!? I was shocked... literally I removed my fingers from the controller and for one second just looked at the TV screen not understanding: a) what just happened, b) what will I do now... there was no time to do anything so I had to evade his attacks until he performed a "safe attack" meaning the lightning bolts around him. Then I opened the menu and picked the very next weapon after my Mace +10:

15080002hmsyl.jpg

Which was Morgenstern +0.

Yeah... that didn't work. I was hitting him for 90 damage (!!!). FUCK IT. I had to spend another few rounds praying he does a "safe attack" and switched to the very next weapon after Morgenstern +0, which was as you can see in both photos: Craftsman's Hammer +0. Suprisingly enough the weapon hit HARD. Basically about 75-80% of my Mace +10.

I was so very close to killing him! The pressure on me was tremendous. I rejoiced because the weapon felt good and we started bouting. I do the normal evade/ Estus movement and... nothing happens. LITERALLY NOTHING HAPPEND. My guy just shrugged and didn't drink shit.

I WAS OUT OF ESTUS.

... luckily I was prepared for that because fuck the Frozen Reindeers. I had the best Healing Gems prepared but I never used them before!!! I didn't know the strategy nor timing for using gems. So I evade once more and crush one gem (the best one). Uh... that health is not going up fast... it's like a snail. So I crush another and another and it still moves SLOW AS FUCK.

You cannot imagine how tense the last part of the fight was. I was hitting him only when I was 200% sure he would not punish me. Normally I would whack him but at this moment I just rolled backwards. I never run up to him when he used the Souls Spears for instance - I would rather evade them and have him in my sight all the times.

I cannot really write how I managed to kill the one tiger when the other jumped down because I do not remember! I was so much "in the zone" that I blank now when thinking about it. I only clearly remember the last part and the sheningans with broken weapon and 0 Estus.

Funnily enough I killed the second tiger with a shitty +0 weapon. Incredible. Just like Sinh.

---

Thank God this is done. Thank you From for the whole game and for Frigid Outskirts as well which is a damn fine and challenging area. Really punishing, really unlike any other map in the game. The long trek to the boss brought back the best and worst memories of Demon's Souls and its long treks w/o any bonfires.
Sidenote: this is how the whole game should have been IMO. For example Brume Tower - only the first bonfire should be present. No other bonfires. You fight your way to start the elevators first (open a shortcut) and then you use them to go down to Fume Knight. I know these times will never come back and Demon's is the only Souls game with such an incredible amount of challenge.

Guys, after 102 hours I can finally challenge the Last Boss which is a pushover because I tried him again yesterday and brought him to 5% of health and Aged Feathered back, LOL. Just to see if he is hard like Darklurker or easy like Sir Alonne.

Some facts about my first ever playthrough:

- 609 deaths worldwide
- 100% time offline
- 99.9% time Hollowed, only used Human Effigy after unlocking the powered Crowns
- 102 hours savetime
- SL 224
- never summoned anyone, I do not even know how you do it cause there were no summon signs anywhere
- all bosses, all DLC content done
- stats: 51 STR, 45 VGR, 42 VIT, 20 END, 28 INT, 22 FTH, 26 DEX, 16 ATN, ADP as high as needed for 105 Agility
- 99.9% time melee using that 0.1% for some Heavy Soul Arrows for aggroing and some boss fights (Darklurker)
- 99.99% time using Mace, only switched to other weapons after it broke which happened twice: Sinh fight and the two Ice Tigers fight
- 90% time using Drangleic Set, 10% using Havel's Set after I found it
- did not use one Boss Soul for anything yet

MACE +10 ROCKS!

For NG+ I am planning to do a Pursuer cosplay. I think Steel Armor is the closest visually to Pursuer's one. That plus his Shield and Sword.

- 609 deaths worldwide
- 100% time offline
- 99.9% time Hollowed, only used Human Effigy after unlocking the powered Crowns
- 102 hours savetime
- SL 224
- never summoned anyone, I do not even know how you do it cause there were no summon signs anywhere
- stats: 51 STR, 45 VGR, 42 VIT, 20 END, 28 INT, 22 FTH, 26 DEX, 16 ATN, ADP as high as needed for 105 Agility
- 99.9% time melee using that 0.1% for some Heavy Soul Arrows for aggroing and some boss fights (Darklurker)
- 99.99% time using Mace, only switched to other weapons after it broke which happened twice: Sinh fight and the two Ice Tigers fight

MACE +10 ROCKS!

For NG+ I am planning to do a Pursuer cosplay. I think Steel Armor is the closest visually to Pursuer's one. That plus his Shield and Sword.

Well done and reading this gives me more incentive to git gud!

- 609 deaths worldwide
- 100% time offline
- 102 hours savetime
- SL 224

MACE +10 ROCKS!

I'm glad to hear that a 100 hour, 200+ SL isn't as abnormal as i thought. That's basically how my first playthrough went

It feels liberating to kill Pursuer on the first try in NG+ with his own sword and on the first platform where the eagle drops him, before even meeting The Last Giant.

Suck it down, Pursuer.

OK, finished with the DLCs and finally killed Vendrick, who was easy, I just had to take a breath and fall back whenever he jumped backwards himself.

I only have the Ancient Dragon left in terms of bosses, and frankly, I don't think I am going to bother. I was never able to summon more than 1 person to help, and I don't want to pluck my nails out trying to beat him on my own.

I'm gonna spend some more time having fun and going through the world again just in case, maybe even do the Dark Chasm of Old dungeons, and then move on Nashandra. Game was great, and on par with Demon's and Dark I.

Edit: Ended up beating Nashandra and Aldia, and will now start roaming around the world. Still can't decide if I'll try to kill the Ancient Dragon.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Ok you scrubs. I beat Bloodborne a few months ago and now that I have sufficiently recovered from that, I bought DSII today and about to get started. Just got to the three women in red hoods asking about my name and physical appearance. What is a good class that will allow me to be nimble, but also do decent damage?

Tarkus

Ok you scrubs. I beat Bloodborne a few months ago and now that I have sufficiently recovered from that, I bought DSII today and about to get started. Just got to the three women in red hoods asking about my name and physical appearance. What is a good class that will allow me to be nimble, but also do decent damage?
Explorer. Level ADP to 105 agility and you'll be quite nimble. That's the first thing I do before leveling anything else.

So I just read about the Loyce Soul thing, I've already beaten the boss though - is it worth using a Bonfire Ascetic to respawn the boss so I can farm them easier?

Is it even worth the time and effort to see the lady/get her soul (didn't want to just kill her)?

I don't usually like using Ascetics willy-nilly because I worry I'll have to try and beat them again at some point and find out I made the boss way too tough lol, I'm still on NG at the moment and will be going to NG+ and NG++ soon to try and finish off the spells and Achievements that you can't get until later.... but thats just in the regular game not the DLC so it shouldn't matter.

50x Souls required just seems like a lot. :\

2AdEPT

yup as sour shoes said ADP first, might as well take explorer, as you get items as well, and then ensure you kill some heide knights early on for proper weaponry. That or find a mace I guess.

So I just read about the Loyce Soul thing, I've already beaten the boss though - is it worth using a Bonfire Ascetic to respawn the boss so I can farm them easier?

Is it even worth the time and effort to see the lady/get her soul (didn't want to just kill her)?

I don't usually like using Ascetics willy-nilly because I worry I'll have to try and beat them again at some point and find out I made the boss way too tough lol, I'm still on NG at the moment and will be going to NG+ and NG++ soon to try and finish off the spells and Achievements that you can't get until later.... but thats just in the regular game not the DLC so it shouldn't matter.

50x Souls required just seems like a lot. :\
it is a lot and despite being a huge fan of the game overall I did not bother with this quest and watched whatever I felt like watching on you tube.

Dresden

I go with Knight. High starting stats for stuff you'd want for any build (vigor, adp, etc), and the broadsword is a decent starting weapon.

it is a lot and despite being a huge fan of the game overall I did not bother with this quest and watched whatever I felt like watching on you tube.

Yea, I love Souls games so much and really wanted to 'clean it all out' getting everything I could. Just at this point after 100+hrs not sure I can be bothered doing something like farming 50 of those lol. If the drop rate wasn't as bad as it seems to be (?) it might be bearable, but yea. :(

As DLC goes I think I enjoyed the 1st and 3rd one a lot, 2nd I wasn't as much a fan off. Its still cool but I found it much more annoying than the other two so I rate it lower.

Overall having sat here and played the entire game again on Xbox One right through, considering Dark Souls II was already pretty sweet in the amount of content you get but now with Scholar, the addition of the 3 DLC on top of everything else just makes the overall package amazing IMO. :D

Can keep you busy with Souls goodness for a loooong time. <3

anyone but a caster.

In other news FINALLY got past shrine of Amana. The goal is to get to the end game, use the Soul vessels then respec for the DLC. I need to be at around SL203 for the end game build i want which i think will work really well with the DLC.

Soul level 203
• Vigor 30
• Endurance 30
• Vit 40
• Att 20
• Str 50
• Dex 20
• Adp 26
• Int 22
• Faith 18

Equipment
• Kings Crown/Drangleic Mail/Gauntlets/Leggings
• RH – Lightning Greatclub + 10, Binoculars
• LF – Dark Sunset Staff, Poison Rapier +10, Drangleic Shield
• Rings: Cloranthy Ring +2, Ring of Binding, Third Dragon Ring, Ring of Blades +2
• 5 Spells: Repair, Dark Orb x 2, Dark Weapon

I learned the poison rapier trick in the off hand from this guy on youtube - when PVP ppl get close you use it and keep stabbing if he has a bigger weapon. After a couple of stabs the poison kicks in and it is something else her has to worry about - that is when you can attack with your Lightning Greatclub and do some real damange.

Deku Tree

I never played souls and I just got the platinum in BB.

I own DaS ok PS3. But I'm thinking about playing DaS2 on PS4 instead.

Does DaS2 on PS4 have a similar summoning system to BB? Can you summon people who are a different level from you and just have their stats normalized to yours somehow? Thx

I never played souls and I just got the platinum in BB.

I own DaS ok PS3. But I'm thinking about playing DaS2 on PS4 instead.

Does DaS2 on PS4 have a similar summoning system to BB? Can you summon people who are a different level from you and just have their stats normalized to yours somehow? Thx

Unfortunately it doesn't have a system like that. But the range for summoning is fairly wide and the population seems to be pretty good lately (and I'm on Xbox one, which is always less popular)

If you're wanting to play with a specific person, there is a ring you can buy in game that will let you expand the summoning range if someone else has it too.

mulac

Wheres the best place to play Scholar? PS4/XBox or PC?

Same boat as alot of people; platinumed Bloodborne just past Friday - and looking for a new "fix" so having never played a FROM game aside from BB this seems a natural fit...

2AdEPT

Wheres the best place to play Scholar? PS4/XBox or PC?

Same boat as alot of people; platinumed Bloodborne just past Friday - and looking for a new "fix" so having never played a FROM game aside from BB this seems a natural fit...

PC is by far the best for sheer game, can use game save manager as not to lose progress, redo bosses and do challenge runs 2nd time through...only thing to assess is the multiplayer, not sure if lots of people are on PC......... havent booted DS2 in ages now.

NG+ is pretty awesome.

1) I am doing a Pursuer cosplay with Steel Armor, Fume Knights Helm, Pursuer's Sword (don't have shield yet cause Straid is stoned), Magic Weapon (gives his sword a blue tint - exactly the same as when he stabs you) and even with the red, glowing eyes. The timing and tracking of the 1H light attack of Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword is whack as fuck and I miss more than 50% of swings even against big bosses. Luckily the 1H strong attack is a wide horizontal arc and it hits them everytime. This requires a totally different playstyle than Mace, it is hard to reconfigure myself. On the flipside at least the 1H light attack staggers pretty much every random mob and has a huge reach (Heide Knights made easier than in NG0, ha). And it does 600+ damage in one hit to all encountered bosses so far vs 250 of my Mace.

2) Red Phantoms everywhere! Holy shit! I dropped right in the beginning to The Pit and made my way to The Gutter. There were 2 Red Phantoms in the shallow water.

3) I did the Dragonrider, the Red Dragon and the Old Dragonrider all in one run w/o going back to the bonfire. Feels good man. Of course I had to run towards the fog door after the Red Dragon because fuck those two Red Phantoms guarding Old Dragonrider. Did not want to lose 90k Souls.

4) Only 1 more FTH and I can cast the Veldstadt Buff, yes.

strafer

Dying in this game is not so bad. It's the run back to collect your souls that is the worst. I experienced that first hand last night when I lost over 1 million souls. :/

I nearly threw my controller out the window.

Dying in this game is not so bad. It's the run back to collect your souls that is the worst. I experienced that first hand last night when I lost over 1 million souls. :/

Wow, you must be pretty far in to have a million souls and if that's the first time it's happened you're not doing bad, I regularly loose souls but in the thousands, then again i'm not really that far in only at The Lost Bastille.

strafer

Wow, you must be pretty far in to have a million souls and if that's the first time it's happened you're not doing bad, I regularly loose souls but in the thousands, then again i'm not really that far in only at The Lost Bastille.

Well, I'm playing regular DS2 and not Scholar, I was thinking about getting it but I just can't start a new character when I've done so much with this one.

whut. why the hell are you casually running around with a million souls in your back pocket?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
If you were in a position to have over a million souls to lose you're probably far enough into the game that you could farm them back on Giant Lord in 15 minutes.

I dropped 1M souls in Demon's once while farming Pure Bladestone. The road to get it back was intense as fuck. Got them and immdiately returned to the Maiden to gain 3 levels, heh. 300k per level up.

Cat Party

I played through the game a bunch of times on 360, but I'm playing through now on XB1. Definitely wasn't expecting statues everywhere. Are there more branches to be found?

The new enemy placement is great though. Freshens up the game quite a bit.

StoppedInTracks great recommendation on the mace, I've got it to +4 and am using that and the grand lance,finally got the ruined sentinels down and cleared all that area and opened up the sinners rise bonfire.

Going to farm some Heide knights now for souls and practice and try the other boss at the top of that area.

StoppedInTracks great recommendation on the mace, I've got it to +4 and am using that and the grand lance,finally got the ruined sentinels down and cleared all that area and opened up the sinners rise bonfire.

Going to farm some Heide knights now for souls and practice and try the other boss at the top of that area.

Yeah, Mace seems overpowered. Fast attack, huge damage vs everything, low stamina consumption etc. The only downside is the very limited range - you have to be literally touching the enemy with your body in order for the Mace to connect. Great weapon that can take you through 100% of the game, certified.

Anyway remember this post of mine?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=164806809&highlight=gargoyles#post164806809

In NG+ I took on Gargoyles and killed them on my first try. Weird. The same is true for Ruin Sentinels. That's kind of a good prognosis for Fume Knight and Aava I guess. Lud and Zallen will kill me, though, no doubt here.

So far I killed 7 bosses with 0 deaths (to the bosses). Nothing stops The Pursuer!

Yeah, Mace seems overpowered. Fast attack, huge damage vs everything, low stamina consumption etc. The only downside is the very limited range - you have to be literally touching the enemy with your body in order for the Mace to connect.

That's why I've paired it with the lance for now for a bit of range and variety,not sure what to level now, I feel like I need more equipment load.

JJD

I'm playing the game for the first time and man...this is great! I really don't understand the complains about DS2.

Maybe the vanilla version of the game was too different. Playing on the PS4 by the way.

Gotta say, as much as I loved Bloodborne the Souls games have a certain "charm" to their setting that just isn't the same as Yharnam. Thank God we have both because frankly I can't choose which one I love most.

The game is considerably more difficult than Bloodborne too. And I say this as someone who platinum Demons.

How easy is to farm titanite guys? There's a bunch of weapons and armor I want to upgrade but I'm afraid of wasting resources.

Killed Aava last night and almost cleared the rest of Eleum Loyce. I just need to get one more knight and take out Ivory King then (maybe) do Frigid Outskirts. Aava wasn't too bad, but it definitely took me a few tries to get the timing down on that delayed paw slash. Loyce has been a lot of fun and really interesting. Soloing it has been tough.

Yeah, Mace seems overpowered. Fast attack, huge damage vs everything, low stamina consumption etc. The only downside is the very limited range - you have to be literally touching the enemy with your body in order for the Mace to connect. Great weapon that can take you through 100% of the game, certified.

Also the poise damage helps a ton especially against Ruin Sentinels.

I played through the game a bunch of times on 360, but I'm playing through now on XB1. Definitely wasn't expecting statues everywhere. Are there more branches to be found?

The new enemy placement is great though. Freshens up the game quite a bit.

Yes there are.

Top Bottom