• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

draw4wild

So I just started playing this after coming from bloodborne so it's taking me awhile to get used to actually blocking. Am I playing it wrong or does it seem I play 95% of the game as a hollow with 75% health? I don't have PS+ so I can't become human by helping on bosses and effgies seem too rare to use all the time. I typically only use one when I need to summon a npc helper for a boss fight.

Also, when am I going to replace the Drangleic set? nothing I've gotten seems even close to it . I can progress into either Iron Keep, Brightcove Tseldora, or Crown of Sunken King yet the items I get all seem garbage. I use the Dragonslayers Crescent Axe as a weapon right now

Mike M

Nick N
So I just started playing this after coming from bloodborne so it's taking me awhile to get used to actually blocking. Am I playing it wrong or does it seem I play 95% of the game as a hollow with 75% health? I don't have PS+ so I can't become human by helping on bosses and effgies seem too rare to use all the time. I typically only use one when I need to summon a npc helper for a boss fight.

Also, when am I going to replace the Drangleic set? nothing I've gotten seems even close to it . I can progress into either Iron Keep, Brightcove Tseldora, or Crown of Sunken King yet the items I get all seem garbage. I use the Dragonslayers Crescent Axe as a weapon right now

Without being summoned, yeah, effigies are your only option (Unless you get restored for beating a boss while hollow? I've never had to do that, so I don't know.). They can be farmed from some enemies (stray dogs drop them), but then you run into the fact they eventually stop respawning until you burn an aesthetic, but that has its own problems.

Drangleic set is kind of ridiculously good for how early you get it.

Mistel

Banned

Well mostly it will be unless you are able to do it without dying but it is not much of a hindrance. You can do the whole thing in a single life without issues other than your own errors. As for Drangleic armor it is very much an early game crutch with high defenses but at the cost of its weight and rare upgrade materials. There are several different option for armor available to you at the point you are at but unless you upgrade them they wont compare. As for items without knowing to which you are referring to I cannot say much.
They can be farmed from some enemies (stray dogs drop them), but then you run into the fact they eventually stop respawning until you burn an aesthetic, but that has its own problems.
You join champions so they infinitely respawn as you farm them.

Mike M

Nick N
You join champions so they infinitely respawn as you farm them.
VAaBpei.gif

Entirely forgot about that.

Does joining it restore enemies that have already stopped respawning?

HORRORSHØW

the game's pretty awesome. coming from bloodborne, i had to adjust to the pace of the fights, but loving every minute of it. the greatsword+10 makes things kinda easy so far (up to the iron keep).

can't find gavlan after he leaves no-man's wharf. need poison moss because fuck poison.

Mike M

Nick N
Grimløck;190882679 said:
the game's pretty awesome. coming from bloodborne, i had to adjust to the pace of the fights, but loving every minute of it. the greatsword+10 makes things kinda easy so far (up to the iron keep).

can't find gavlan after he leaves no-man's wharf. need poison moss because fuck poison.
He's in Harvest Valley after NMW. Head to the poison gas area after the Poison Pool bonfire, he's in the cave just to the right of the ramp that leads up to the gully with the desert sorceresses.

RiggyRob

Tagging onto this question, how many NPC summons are there when playing offline? Do you get one per boss fight, can you summon someone just to help you through the levels etc.?

Buraindo

Tagging onto this question, how many NPC summons are there when playing offline? Do you get one per boss fight, can you summon someone just to help you through the levels etc.?

The vast majority of boss fights have at least one NPC summon available, some of these are available early enough that you can use them to help you clear an area. There are also some NPC shades available just for that.

But you have to be human to summon one right? They don't show up if you're hollow whatsoever?

Seems like you'd either need to farm Human Effigies or really try to not die during an area when playing offline.

Yeah you must be human. Effigies will become more and more common the farther you get into the game.

RiggyRob

The vast majority of boss fights have at least one NPC summon available, some of these are available early enough that you can use them to help you clear an area. There are also some NPC shades available just for that.

But you have to be human to summon one right? They don't show up if you're hollow whatsoever?

Seems like you'd either need to farm Human Effigies or really try to not die during an area when playing offline.

HORRORSHØW

He's in Harvest Valley after NMW. Head to the poison gas area after the Poison Pool bonfire, he's in the cave just to the right of the ramp that leads up to the gully with the desert sorceresses.
omg ty. the little freak was in a side room in the cave. no wonder i missed him the first time.

Copper

Correct you have to be human to summon anyone. That's why I don't recommend using effigies unless you absolutely have to.

Ferr986

DS3 features "Sword Arts," which to my knowledge are special moves with a limited number of uses like spells, and parrying is the art associated with shields or something.

Sword arts uses MP (atleast on the beta) same with spells. There's MP Blue Estus flasks.

EDIT: nvm, Missed Manu post

sam777

I have just reached the shaded woods and I am Level 75, so far when I level up I only increase Vgr, End and Str, is this fine or is it imperative that I raise some other stats?
Thanks

Buraindo

I have just reached the shaded woods and I am Level 75, so far when I level up I only increase Vgr, End and Str, is this fine or is it imperative that I raise some other stats?
Thanks

Stats have soft caps so it would be useful to know exactly how much VGR, END and STR you have before I can give some advice. Generally though, I'd say that getting END to at least 20 (which you probably have already) and ADP to 20-30 is always a good idea.

sam777

Stats have soft caps so it would be useful to know exactly how much VGR, END and STR you have before I can give some advice. Generally though, I'd say that getting END to at least 20 (which you probably have already) and ADP to 20-30 is always a good idea.

VGR - 27
End - 25
Str - 33
Dex - 20

I have only levelled these 4 so far. I will focus on raising my ADP now then.

Buraindo

VGR - 27
End - 25
Str - 33
Dex - 20

I have only levelled these 4 so far. I will focus on raising my ADP now then.

Seems like you can keep leveling those stats. If you plan on playing exclusively melee then leveling VGR and STR all the way to 50 is what I'd suggest.
50 DEX is a bit overkill since there aren't many weapons that require more than 30, and it usually doesn't scale as well as STR so 30 should be more than good enough unless you come across one of those weapons or you plan on powerstancing weapons with 20+ required DEX.
END however is a bit "eh" after 20 since you only get 1 point of stamina per level so I'd only recommend this one if you're really, really hurting for stamina. I'd also recommend to use whichever Dragon Ring you've access to + Stamina recovery item of your choice and it should be more than enough.
Just to add a bit more info, I have a character with 50 END + Third Dragon Ring and it's all kinds of underwhelming. I do get a few extra attacks but it's really expensive.

SkylineRKR

Alonne is harder than Fume imo.

His moves have a nasty delay you need to train. But ultimately you'll get the hang of it. The biggest window is after his glide attack. Always dodge to your right.

Am running with this sword + gear ever since. Respecced to a build to compliment this.

Gestahl

His moves have a nasty delay you need to train. But ultimately you'll get the hang of it. The biggest window is after his glide attack. Always dodge to your right.

Alonne is harder because the shittiness of his sliding attack animation leaves me gasping for air from laughter everytime I see it

Buraindo

Am running with this sword + gear ever since. Respecced to a build to compliment this.

Yeah he's tough but also one of my favourite boss fights in series.
Too bad the run to him is one of the worst I've had to endure in the entire series second only to the Iron Passage.

If dodging his attacks is proving too difficult, I recommend using a high stability greatshield and a fast weapon (rapier, spears etc) to take advantage of his openings.

Naglafar

So SoTFS is currently on sale on both Ps4 and Steam. Which community is more active for PvE?

In Souls Games I usually don't PvP, I just help people with bosses and summon people if I get stuck. From what I can tell, graphics are essentially the same on both PS4 and PC, so it really comes down to community size.

gogosox82

So SoTFS is currently on sale on both Ps4 and Steam. Which community is more active for PvE?

In Souls Games I usually don't PvP, I just help people with bosses and summon people if I get stuck. From what I can tell, graphics are essentially the same on both PS4 and PC, so it really comes down to community size.

I haven't played the pc version in a while but the its pretty active on the ps4. I always see signs and phantoms.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Picked it up from the sale, played DSII before all the big updates(stopped around teh second DLC) and I've kind of sunk my life into Bloodborne for several months.

How extensive is the enemy placement mix up? It's pretty new in these first areas, but does it stay like this? It's kind of weird, the placements feel better.

Second, did they change any dialogue? It's been awhile since I've cared about DSII, so I can't really tell with some of the characters.

Buraindo

The PC community is alive and well.

Picked it up from the sale, played DSII before all the big updates(stopped around teh second DLC) and I've kind of sunk my life into Bloodborne for several months.

How extensive is the enemy placement mix up? It's pretty new in these first areas, but does it stay like this? It's kind of weird, the placements feel better.

Second, did they change any dialogue? It's been awhile since I've cared about DSII, so I can't really tell with some of the characters.

Enemy and item placement has been changed for pretty much every area in the base game while the DLC was left unchanged.
Outside of the new character, I don't think there's any additional dialogue in SOTFS. There are a good number of new and improved item descriptions though.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Finally bought this on PS4!

Dark Souls PTDE on PC with Durante's fix was my GOTG (with Mario Galaxy and TLOU) so it's kinda crazy I still hadn't bought this but I refused to get it on PS360 (grabbed the first Dark Souls day1 on PS3 but couldn't get into the game and a big part of it was the horrible performance and sluggish controls) and I was waiting to upgrade my pc gfx card to get it on Steam but that card purchase kept getting postponed again and again... so here I am!
Super pumped, I guess that The Witcher 3 copy will go back into my backlog (unwrapped it yesterday but couldn't hop in cause there was like 15GB of patches, lol) becase man I've waited so long for this!

Anything I should know before going it, to maximize my enjoyiment and bearing in mind I'm accustomed to Dark Souls (and in a lesser way to Demon's Souls -I hate hp consumables you gotta buy to survive in ANY GAME EVER, long live the flasks system!)

Dahbomb

Anything I should know before going it, to maximize my enjoyiment and bearing in mind I'm accustomed to Dark Souls (and in a lesser way to Demon's Souls -I hate hp consumables you gotta buy to survive in ANY GAME EVER, long live the flasks system!)

Effigy is the Humanity replacement in this but you can't stack multiples of them like in DS1. Every time you die your maximum HP is reduced until you use an Effigy again (or you successfully complete a co-op game).

The invincibility of your dodge is tied to the Agility attribute. Agility stat is improved mostly with the Adaptability stat and slightly with the Attunement stat. Once of your early goals should be to get Agility to 105+ while balancing with other stats.

Fragrant Branch of Yores are like keys that unlock certain places/items in the game. They unpetrify statues blocking your ways. Pharro's Lockstones you insert in the wall with 3 holes in them and they usually unlock something. Some of these are pretty damn useless so you have to be careful what you use them on while others are extremely important as in they unlock brand new areas.

Bonfire Ascetics allow you to take the difficulty of an area to the next level and respawn enemies. So if you are on NG and you beat the boss of the area... you can use the Bonfire Ascetic to turn that area into NG+ difficulty and respawn everything including the boss. This is useful to farm some things in the game if you need to.

Parrying has a delay to it before activation so you have to be more predictive with it. The kick is replaced with a guard break move that breaks guard (if the person is blocking and you use this move to break their guard and riposte them).

If you have 1.5x the stat requirement of a weapon you can power wield it. Have the same weapon in both hands then hold down Triangle to power wield which allows you to attack with the weapons simultaneously for more damage.

Soul Vessels allow you to respec your points by going to the old ladies at the start.

The rest isn't as immediately important or the same as before.

Finally bought this on PS4!

Dark Souls PTDE on PC with Durante's fix was my GOTG (with Mario Galaxy and TLOU) so it's kinda crazy I still hadn't bought this but I refused to get it on PS360 (grabbed the first Dark Souls day1 on PS3 but couldn't get into the game and a big part of it was the horrible performance and sluggish controls) and I was waiting to upgrade my pc gfx card to get it on Steam but that card purchase kept getting postponed again and again... so here I am!
Super pumped, I guess that The Witcher 3 copy will go back into my backlog (unwrapped it yesterday but couldn't hop in cause there was like 15GB of patches, lol) becase man I've waited so long for this!

One thing that helped me: embracing the difference! The controlls feel different, enemies behave more agressive so you can't really go in from DS1 and dominate the place. I was surprised how much times I failed even in early areas. So...prepare to die while getting used to the new engine. :) Other than that, the world is HUGE. Not as intertwined as the first one but chock-full of bosses, areas and surprises. The flask system is back but life-gems certainly help in stressful situations. The game was designed around people using those, though. Early in the game your flasks are very limited.

D. Dark

I also bought the game on the psn sale and Im still getting used to the slower combat compared to BB. Any tips to make my life easier early on? So far I have spent points in str, vit and end also increased dex to use some fire sword I just found. Btw I think I missed on some boss I found while looting the top of a tower, he came from above and kicked my ass , maybe he is too advance try this early.Also im having problems with invasions , im getting invaded by the same guy which is obviously overpowered since he uses lots of powerful magic attacks, any item to prevent invasion or should I just go offline?

get that Fire Longsword in Fallen of the Giants asap......other then that, offer a lot of summon help to gain some souls etc.

which covenants is fastest to gain Selfless Giver trophy Max out devotion to covenant ?

Buraindo

get that Fire Longsword in Fallen of the Giants asap......other then that, offer a lot of summon help to gain some souls etc.

which covenants is fastest to gain Selfless Giver trophy Max out devotion to covenant ?

Probably the Pilgrims of Dark. It's PvE and doesn't require any grinding. Dragon and Heirs of the Sun are not too bad either.

Pilgrims does have PvP in it.

I know but it's not the point of the covenant.

Mistel

Banned
I also bought the game on the psn sale and Im still getting used to the slower combat compared to BB. Any tips to make my life easier early on? So far I have spent points in str, vit and end also increased dex to use some fire sword I just found. Btw I think I missed on some boss I found while looting the top of a tower, he came from above and kicked my ass , maybe he is too advance try this early.Also im having problems with invasions , im getting invaded by the same guy which is obviously overpowered since he uses lots of powerful magic attacks, any item to prevent invasion or should I just go offline?
Don't bother with the fire longsword it's really not worth it you are better off finding a decent weapon like a bastard sword/broadsword/morning star/mace etc and upgrading that than using the fire longsword. The fire longsword does split damage so it is not as strong as it appears.

As for the invader you can burn a human effigy to stop him from spawning as he's an NPC he'll spawn if you're offline anyway. Plus that's not an early game area really he spawns in you need to find the other way to go.
Probably the Pilgrims of Dark. It's PvE and doesn't require any grinding. Dragon and Heirs of the Sun are not too bad either.
Pilgrims does have PvP in it.

HORRORSHØW

thought the game was pretty easy until the fume knight. he took me about 40 minutes to down at level 140 (maybe i'm over leveled at this point, idk). his ultra greatsword doesn't seem all that great, moveset-wise.

thinking of respeccing into a melee/faith build but don't know if the defender or thorned greatsword is better. leaning towards the defender because it can self-buff.

Hastati

Grimløck;191039489 said:
thought the game was pretty easy until the fume knight. he took me about 40 minutes to down at level 140 (maybe i'm over leveled at this point, idk). his ultra greatsword doesn't seem all that great, moveset-wise.

thinking of respeccing into a melee/faith build but don't know if the defender or thorned greatsword is better. leaning towards the defender because it can self-buff.

I had a great time with the defender and would recommend it. Switched over to the King's ultra for that crazy damage output, but honestly the defender may be better since it has a quicker moveset.

If you have any points to spare, a hybrid faith/hex build works well with the Crypt Blacksword. I believe it considerably outpaces the defender, it's just a bit heavy.

Mistel

Banned
Grimløck;191039489 said:

Thorned Greatsword is the stronger of the pair plus it wasn't nerferd like the defender. The spears will take a bit of practice but are worth learning.
what is defender?
Defender's greatsword a boss weapon made from the throne defender soul.

Oswen

I received the trophy by simply being into the Way of the Blue and killing invaders, I think npc phantoms count aswell.

Pilgrims are very easy aswell since you'll probably join for the Dark Lurker Soul at some point.

D. Dark

Alright I killed the invader, also beat the pursuer. Anything I need to do in this area before moving on? I got grabbed by a big bird and dropped me In another area, not sure if I should continue exploring this new area or go back to Majula.

Top Bottom