• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

w0s

Looking for some help on where to allocate my future points. I am playing a sorcerer focusing purely on sorcery. I am SL - 127 ~ Vigor 20 / Endurance 20 / Attunement 40 / Intellect 64.

I am currently in the Iron Keep and have beaten 3 of the great soul bosses (or whatever they call them).

Online people seem to say to cap at 20 for vit/end and Int at 64 for soul geyser. That is why I have been bringing up attunement but at this point 40 seems like a good amount of slots and what seems like a bonus shot to some of my spells.

Where should I spend my points now? I figure some more endurance or vigor can't hurt but I am kinda at a loss. Any help would be much appreciated.

Looking for some help on where to allocate my future points. I am playing a sorcerer focusing purely on sorcery. I am SL - 127 ~ Vigor 20 / Endurance 20 / Attunement 40 / Intellect 64.

I am currently in the Iron Keep and have beaten 3 of the great soul bosses (or whatever they call them).

Online people seem to say to cap at 20 for vit/end and Int at 64 for soul geyser. That is why I have been bringing up attunement but at this point 40 seems like a good amount of slots and what seems like a bonus shot to some of my spells.

Where should I spend my points now? I figure some more endurance or vigor can't hurt but I am kinda at a loss. Any help would be much appreciated.
What is your agility? That's the stat that will help you roll through damage. imo its most important one for any char to have at least 95, then 100 then 105 by end game

w0s

What is your agility? That's the stat that will help you roll through damage. imo its most important one for any char to have at least 95, then 100 then 105 by end game

Hmmm. Wish I was home to tell. Let me try to find one of those fancy character builders and see. My adaptability is still at 8.

Mistel

Banned

The 20 for VIT/END are only the soft caps with only VIT having a hard cap of 50. So you can increase it if you want. As you're raising ATT you might want to raise it till 50 for the speed casting soft cap and and an extra cap, there's also some equipment I can recommend if you'd like.

Finished the game, should i jump into NG+?

Missing trophies are all 4 masters:

Master of Sorcery
Master of Hexes
Master of Pyromany, achieved only on NG++
Master of Miracles, achieved only on NG++?
Selfless Giver - which covenant fastest/easiest?

can any of these trophies be done/achieved before NG+?

Manu

Master of Sorcery
Master of Hexes

You can farm any of the covenants for Selfless Giver. You will have to do it at some point anyway for some of the magic and miracles you can only get from them.

Dahbomb

Master of Sorcery
Master of Hexes

Hexes, Miracles and Selfless Giver can be done before NG+ but hexes and miracles require usage of Bonfire Ascetic on particular boss places.

Selfless Giver - for me the easiest one was getting the Sunlight Medals, 30 of them. I just grinded the Shaded Woods area with the Falconer over and over again while under the Champion covenants and having the Avarice chest helmet + Covetous rings equipped for high item discovery. It still takes a while to grind these.

Also for one of the spells you need to grind the Bell tower as well. So you still have a bit of grinding left to do. This was easily the worst part of the game when it came to getting the Platinum. Also please tell me you didn't fuck up the Navaar sorcerer quest.

So is there a starter guide for playing some kind of magic focused build?

I've playee the vanilla for a dozen odd hours on and off with dual weilding for something different but never did finish it.

dahmbomb: naah i did navlaan ok :)

will grind then, but it's time consuming :)

which bonfire i need for hexes and sorceres?

your quote:

Hexes, Miracles and Selfless Giver can be done before NG+ but hexes and miracles require usage of Bonfire Ascetic on particular boss places.

you mean pyromancy and miracles? i'm kinda lost :p

Mistel

Banned
So is there a starter guide for playing some kind of magic focused build?

I've playee the vanilla for a dozen odd hours on and off with dual weilding for something different but never did finish it.
There isn't but I can tell you if you would like a few general things and a generalised stat allocation.

you mean pyromancy and miracles? i'm kinda lost :p
Technically they're right but you're unlikely to do the miracles and pyromancy before NG+ as you will need to do a large amount of PVP and you're unlikely to gain the ranks required to unlock the miracles and the pyromancy associated with the Way of the Blue and the Brotherhood of Blood. The ascetic bosses are the great ones to gain the old souls which are usually a NG+ drop.

Mistel

Banned
Yes'm, I only have a very broad understanding of the game technically
Well assuming you know that starting class doesn't matter that much you can either start as a sorcerer for the beginning for pretty much a decent base with a staff, a sorcery, and the INT plus ATT to use it all or use another class and build them into a magic user as you can get lots of magic stuff very early on and you can start with a different equipment.

Basically to be a magic focus build you need to raise several stats END for more stamina to cast more spell, ATT to have more casts, more spell slots enabling more spells to be used and higher cast speed finally INT which raises magic ATK bonus and enable you to meet the requirements for spells. You'll also want to raise your STR/DEX to meet minimum requirements for weapons if you're not doing mixed melee/INT if you're raise them accordingly to what you use there are better weapons than the others though. Plus raise you VIG so you can tank hits should you need to in close quarters.

Something like this is generally (based on a sorcerer) what you want but it's is no way binding or with orientated equipment as that's probably a bit much it's more guidelines:

VIG: 15-20 depending on how good you are at staying out of close quarters
END: 20
VIT: 15 (ballpark but you should be able to mange your equip load well enough)
ATT: 50 (sort of a mix between soft and hard caps you could go all the way to 94 if you want the best of everything)
STR: min requirements
DEX: min requirements
ADP: enough for 100 or so agility if pure magic 100 to 120 for mixed
INT: 50
FTH: no investment unless you want to later branch to hexes

Well assuming you know that starting class doesn't matter that much you can either start as a sorcerer for the beginning for pretty much a decent base with a staff, a sorcery, and the INT plus ATT to use it all or use another class and build them into a magic user as you can get lots of magic stuff very early on and you can start with a different equipment.

Basically to be a magic focus build you need to raise several stats END for more stamina to cast more spell, ATT to have more casts, more spell slots enabling more spells to be used and higher cast speed finally INT which raises magic ATK bonus and enable you to meet the requirements for spells. You'll also want to raise your STR/DEX to meet minimum requirements for weapons if you're not doing mixed melee/INT if you're raise them accordingly to what you use there are better weapons than the others though. Plus raise you VIG so you can tank hits should you need to in close quarters.

Something like this is generally (based on a sorcerer) what you want but it's is no way binding or with orientated equipment as that's probably a bit much it's more guidelines:

VIG: 15-20 depending on how good you are at staying out of close quarters
END: 20
VIT: 15 (ballpark but you should be able to mange your equip load well enough)
ATT: 50 (sort of a mix between soft and hard caps you could go all the way to 94 if you want the best of everything)
STR: min requirements
DEX: min requirements
ADP: enough for 100 or so agility if pure magic 100 to 120 for mixed
INT: 50
FTH: no investment unless you want to later branch to hexes
This is great thanks! So many great games have come out that I want to dive hours into and the magic of these games always tugs at the back of my head enough to give it another play every now and then.

Awwww yessssss!!!

I light all the torchs on the gutter and a special phantom appeared to kill me (she killed me), Killed her and got the Black Witch set so early. I am fully equipped for battle now.

1cc82d5d5e943ca12de0559207f1276d.gif

voila gained last one, so i need now only this:

Master of Sorcery
Hidden Weapon - Obtained by reaching rank 2 in the Bell Keeper Covenant. This can be obtained online or offline, for the offline method you need to kill the Phantom known as Mad Warrior. When you rest at the Belfry Sol bonfire, climb the ladder and run straight forward and he will spawn around the corner to the left. There is only a chance this will happen and you must do this 30 times. I was wearing the Delicate String Ring as it should increase his spawn chance. It took me about 80 minutes to farm him for 30 kills. You can do this online by killing 30 invaders and/or invading and killing 30 hosts in the Belfry areas.

Master of Miracles

Bountiful Sunlight - Purchased from Chancellor Wellager on NG++.
Wrath ofthe Gods - Purchased from Chancellor Wellager NG++.
Sunlight Spear - Requires rank 3 in Heirs of the Sun covenant, requiring 30 Sunlight Medals. You can grind these offline or online. Refer to Selfless Giver for further information.

Master of Pyromancy
Great Chaos Fireball - Purchased from Chancellor Wellager in NG++.

Master of Hexes
Climax - Acquired from Pilgrims of the Dark Rank 3.
Lifedrain Patch - Purchased from Straid of Olaphis with the Darklurker Soul, see Abysmal Covenant.

can you guys confirm this?

"Entering New Game plus will not reset covenant progress."

All pyromancies, sorceries, hexes, and miracles carries on, right? so i can now actually go into NG+ mode?

mstevens

Besides the bell covenant stuff (I'm going to kill that one invader 30 times instead of pvp), what other pvp or multiplayer things will I need to find pve alternatives for the platinum trophy?

Edit: I already got 30 sun medals

w0s

The 20 for VIT/END are only the soft caps with only VIT having a hard cap of 50. So you can increase it if you want. As you're raising ATT you might want to raise it till 50 for the speed casting soft cap and and an extra cap, there's also some equipment I can recommend if you'd like.

Yes please! I currently have the black hood and the staff of wisdom.

Soodanim

Now that I have my Xbone Elite controller (bye claw grip, hello comfort) I've decided to pick this back up and attempt to finish it before DD:DA gets here. I'm roughly SL120-130 and playing DEX/ADA, but I've decided to respec as I just hit the frozen place (I'm assuming it's DLC) and I'm sick of the way the game plays. So I'm going to go strength to join the millions of large hitstun weapon users I see ghosting around with a shield in there because of the ridiculous tracking. I don't know whether to stick the points purely into STR/VIT/END with a bit of mandatory DEX or still put some in ADA to play it safe. I do have 5 respec items so I guess I can fine-tune it a bit.

Any advice? Dos and don'ts?

6for8

Hexer's hood
Raises INT and faith by 1 and gives you an extra casting of each spell equipped. Talk to Felkin with 20 INT and 20 faith or kill him. You can use a couple vessels to change your stats, change them to 20&20 and get the hat, then change stats back.

Domino mask
Small boost in magic damage. Rare drop from guardians on roof in Belfry Sol, they don't respawn so it's hard to get. Last time I farmed it, with max luck, I took the bonfire to +22.

Lion mage set
Increases your casting speed. Shaded Woods treasure. I usually wear a different chest piece but the cuffs and skirt are a must.

Clear bluestone ring
Get the +2 version from the skeleton lords in ng+. Increase your casting speed.

Southern ritual band (ring)
Extra spell slots. Get the +2 from the boss in the Shaded Woods at ng+ for 3 slots.

Crystal soul spear
Freja in ng+. Use ascetics and farm Freja until you think you have more then enough of this spell, then do it two more times.

Infuse your staff with magic.

There are other items that boost your power but lower your hp. I like to mix it up with a long sword and save my spells so I prefer to have some hp.

Mistel

Banned
Well you can infuse the Staff of Wisdom with magic if you've not done so or you can swap to a maxed magic Witchtree Branch it's a bit of a damage loss but with a base 140 casting speed you can use some of the casting speed boosting gear for it and just chuck out spells like no tomorrow. If you wan't to go a smidgen of the wall you could use Azaeal's Staff with high INT and casting speed up gear up but its rather hit and miss for most.

Gear wise if you wan't more damage get a Sorcery Clutch Ring, Sorcerer Dagger, and the Black Witch Domino Mask. For higher slots get Southern ritual band +3 for +3, higher cast speed use Blue Clearstone Ring +2 for 55% casting increase and finally the Northern ritual band + 3 for more casts. Some of these items do have drawback but they're not too extreme at all.
Now that I have my Xbone Elite controller (bye claw grip, hello comfort) I've decided to pick this back up and attempt to finish it before DD:DA gets here. I'm roughly SL120-130 and playing DEX/ADA, but I've decided to respec as I just hit the frozen place (I'm assuming it's DLC) and I'm sick of the way the game plays. So I'm going to go strength to join the millions of large hitstun weapon users I see ghosting around with a shield in there because of the ridiculous tracking. I don't know whether to stick the points purely into STR/VIT/END with a bit of mandatory DEX or still put some in ADA to play it safe. I do have 5 respec items so I guess I can fine-tune it a bit.

Any advice? Dos and don'ts?
Well you'll need adaptability for a melee built in either form so do invest some but you will need STR as a must along with END and VIT however not all STR weapons are alike and there's quite a variety unless you've got a preference in mind?

Manu

You guys were right, Warped Sword is gud. Dat spin2win attack man.

Also found some fashionsouls body on Brume Tower

That looks amazing. I recently started a female char for a Murakumo build and I'm looking for some Fashion Souls advice too. I want her to look agile but feminine. Any suggestions?

Caderfix

I bought this during the moist recent PSN sale and it is a massive upgrade. It was worth every penny. And the Pursuer is awesome,
I'm glad to see him in every corner.

Mistel

Banned
Traded in my first boss' soul for the Pursuers Ultra Greatsword...

I don't like it remotely. Too hard to control :/
It does take practice like most ultra's to use effectively once you can however it is very versatile.
Thanks.

Probably sticking to the Black Leather set for the time being. It's a shame one of the best looks for female characters is in Brume Tower.
It is really a fair shame but there's still stuff which is suprising nice but not with it's set like manikin boots.

lunlunqq

This is horrible! Coming back from Bloodborne, I hate everything from the slow and sluggish movement to the terrible ganking-oriented new enemy placements. I still want to platinum it because it's a soul game. Don't know why I would do this to myself. :'(

Top Bottom