• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

sam777

Become human by using a human effigy/defeating a boss and find a summon sign, they are usually around bonfires or at the fog gate

I am human but I can only find the NPC summon signs, is their anything that needs to be activated/triggered to enable online help?

Thanks

for Lost Sinner i think you can summon 2 NPC's

Lucatiel Of Mirrah (NPC summon)
Sellsword Luet (NPC summon)

which is enough of help + don't forget to lit those candels on each side :)

use magic for boss.

edit: for online help - others must use small white sign or white sign to offer help, you can't ask for help.....like in bloodborne.

sam777

for Lost Sinner i think you can summon 2 NPC's

Lucatiel Of Mirrah (NPC summon)
Sellsword Luet (NPC summon)

which is enough of help + don't forget to lit those candels on each side :)

use magic for boss.

edit: for online help - others must use small white sign or white sign to offer help, you can
't ask for help.....like in bloodborne.

Thanks. I did not know lucatiel was there, so that should help quite a bit.

LUET:

Sinners Rise In the final cell in the right hand upper floor.

LUCATIEL:

Sinner's Rise After taking the elevator down to the flooded holding cells her sign will appear at the bottom.

oldmario

just making sure and keeping my playthrough safe but when you beat the final boss in DS2 will it revert to NG+ like bloodborne did? i'm planning on doing the dlc stuff afterwards

JGLS

just making sure and keeping my playthrough safe but when you beat the final boss in DS2 will it revert to NG+ like bloodborne did? i'm planning on doing the dlc stuff afterwards

No, you have to choose the option to go to NG+ on the Majula bonfire.

Hmm I think I'm screwed for the alternate ending...
I defeated Vendrick before Nashandra, but the Scholar is not here. Wiki says that I need to meet the Scholar to 3 locations, but he did not appear in my NG+. I thought it was normal because I was on NG+, but apparently it's not...
Any ideas ? :/

Dahbomb

Hmm I think I'm screwed for the alternate ending...
I defeated Vendrick before Nashandra, but the Scholar is not here. Wiki says that I need to meet the Scholar to 3 locations, but he did not appear in my NG+. I thought it was normal because I was on NG+, but apparently it's not...
Any ideas ? :/
Did you say yes when he appeared? Also did you kill all 4 major demons?

Tarkus

Which bonfires are good to NG+ for good stuff/rings?
Undead Purgatory - executioner chariot for Chloranthy Ring +2.

King's Gate - double Pursuers for Ring of Blades +2.

Central Drangleic - Looking Glass knight - Ring of Steel Protection +2.

Shaded Ruins - Scorpion Lady - Southern Ritual Band +2.

Don't remember the bonfire names: Belfry Gargoyles - Gold Serpent Ring +2.
Mytha the Baneful Queen - Silver Serpent Ring +2.

Dahbomb

Which bonfires are good to NG+ for good stuff/rings?

Undead Purgatory - executioner chariot for Chloranthy Ring +2.

King's Gate - double Pursuers for Ring of Blades +2.

Central Drangleic - Looking Glass knight - Ring of Steel Protection +2.

Shaded Ruins - Scorpion Lady - Southern Ritual Band +2.

Don't remember the bonfire names: Belfry Gargoyles - Gold Serpent Ring +2.
Mytha the Baneful Queen - Silver Serpent Ring +2.

What he said.

Also today I just platinumed Dark Souls 2. Yay! Took like 140 hours.

So many hours spent grinding Sunlight Medals and Bell rank... that shit almost mind numbed. I think I went through NG+ in less than 4 hours.

Must have killed the Rotten like 12 times to get the Platinum!

Dahbomb

dahmbob: why did you need him 12 times? :p
For the Souls requirement to unlock Shrines of Winter -> Drangleic Castle. 2 million in NG+ and 3 million in NG++. The boss is insanely easy. You can use a bunch of set ups to kill him fast, like you can use a fast weapon, coat it with lightning and just go ham on him. I also had the Serpeant Ring equipped for even more Soul generation.

Plus you can get to him right at the start of the game by jumping down the well and running through the Gutter.

Also it seemed that the scaling stops after a certain point for NG+'s. Like it never got to a point where any of his attacks could 1 shot me so I was never really in any danger (unlike some other bosses, you can just run away from him and Estus safely as he doesn't have any long ranged attacks).

Buraindo

Also it seemed that the scaling stops after a certain point for NG+'s. Like it never got to a point where any of his attacks could 1 shot me so I was never really in any danger (unlike some other bosses, you can just run away from him and Estus safely as he doesn't have any long ranged attacks).

Isn't the dark cleave slam ranged? He rarely uses it so eh.
NG+ scaling is weird. Seems to be on an enemy by enemy basis while still being limited to the current cycle's cap, but it's meant to stop increasing for good at NG+7 (Bonfire Intensity 8).

for the rotten which bonfire to use, first after drop from gutter or that hidden one?

The second, hidden one.

It's good to know that after all my time with the game it's still possible for me to walk off a cliff like it's nothing, best part is I got stuck in the terrain and couldn't get back up. Got a good laugh out of it at least.

Manu

what to choose at end? light or dark?

You're actually choosing between something different at the end.

Either the Throne, where you will decide between light and dark, OR continue your search for a third, different thing that can finally break the cycle.

Tarkus

The most difficult thing I've done in this game is to be a successful sorcerer PvP'er. It's just so hard to hit anyone. My win rate is about 10% now :( I need to figure out better setup combos or something. I've had decent success with Soul Shower followed by Soul Greatsword when they roll toward me to avoid the shower. Anybody got some tips?

Mistel

Banned
The most difficult thing I've done in this game is to be a successful sorcerer PvP'er. It's just so hard to hit anyone. My win rate is about 10% now :( I need to figure out better setup combos or something. I've had decent success with Soul Shower followed by Soul Greatsword when they roll toward me to avoid the shower. Anybody got some tips?
Not using any of homing stuff during PVP?
The Skeleton Lords is the easiest boss I have faced in this and Bloodborne. Doubt anything else will be easier than that.
There's a couple of bosses that are far easier than the skeleton lords.

Tarkus

Not using any of homing stuff during PVP?
I use Homing Crystal Soulmass at the start and whenever I get some time. I try to throw a Crystal Soul Spear just before or as the soulmasses launch. That hits sometimes. Still, people roll right through it. I have Heavy Homing Soul Arrow in a slot, but it seems kind of weak. I just got Focus Souls on this build and will try that tonight with Spear or Greatsword.

I hear Soul Flash is good too for a setup.

Arjen

Try animation canceling to throw people off.

Dahbomb

The Skeleton Lords is the easiest boss I have faced in this and Bloodborne. Doubt anything else will be easier than that.
Rotten, the two clerics in the church (so easy I don't even remember their name), the Dragon boss fight before the Aerie, the Last Giant, Covetous Demon, Mytha (if you remove the poison), Dragonrider (if you cover up the side area), the multiple Rat fight, Flexible Sentry, Demon of Song were all super easy boss fights.

IMO there is no super hard boss fight in DS2... they just have some that have their own challenges usually involving you taking on multiple threats at one time or if you don't know their gimmick. A lot of the bosses can be defeated with a similar strategy.

sam777

Rotten, the two clerics in the church (so easy I don't even remember their name), the Dragon boss fight before the Aerie, the Last Giant, Covetous Demon, Mytha (if you remove the poison), Dragonrider (if you cover up the side area), the multiple Rat fight, Flexible Sentry, Demon of Song were all super easy boss fights.

IMO there is no super hard boss fight in DS2... they just have some that have their own challenges usually involving you taking on multiple threats at one time or if you don't know their gimmick. A lot of the bosses can be defeated with a similar strategy.

I am still early on, so I have not faced everything yet but looking back on it The Last Giant was also very easy.

If this has been beat to death, I apologize, but my search-fu is failing me. I have a choice in getting this on either PC or PS4. Does anyone have a preference?

Jombie

If this has been beat to death, I apologize, but my search-fu is failing me. I have a choice in getting this on either PC or PS4. Does anyone have a preference?

Can't go wrong with either one but, the PS4 version runs extremely well and still has a fairly active community.

Lol I beat darklurker melee on my ps4 version today, what a pain. Basically just have to get lucky with your first hits in the second phase. It was fun really the annoying part was just how tedious (easy but obnoxious) running thru the shaded ruins dark place is since u have to kill those 3 guys in the first room. Last time I beat him was with lightning spec before all the nerfs back at launch and that was lol easy

Also idk y people spec to magic to farm giant lord, he's easy as hell melee since he has like three attacks that are all easily dodgable. Use the greatsword and roll through his legs

sam777

What is the best one handed Axe? As I am in Earthern Peak and up until ths point I have used only the basic handaxe, which I have reinforced a bit, is it worth fully reinforcing this axe or will something better come along?

Thanks

Tarkus

What is the best one handed Axe? As I am in Earthern Peak and up until ths point I have used only the basic handaxe, which I have reinforced a bit, is it worth fully reinforcing this axe or will something better come along?

Thanks
Probably Bandit axe or Battle Axe. The former does more damage, the latter has more reach.

i want to infuse a weapon, i have enough strength but the letter is red will be able to use the weapon still?
I think you're seeing what happens when you infuse a weapon: you lose a scaling grade in one stat but gain scaling in a stat based on your infusion. Losses are in red, gains are in blue.

Buraindo

Lol I beat darklurker melee on my ps4 version today, what a pain. Basically just have to get lucky with your first hits in the second phase. It was fun really the annoying part was just how tedious (easy but obnoxious) running thru the shaded ruins dark place is since u have to kill those 3 guys in the first room. Last time I beat him was with lightning spec before all the nerfs back at launch and that was lol easy

Also idk y people spec to magic to farm giant lord, he's easy as hell melee since he has like three attacks that are all easily dodgable. Use the greatsword and roll through his legs

Giant Lord's really vulnerable to Dark damage so temporarily switching to a hexer build is not a bad idea although a +10 bow of your choice + Dark Arrows is just as good. Melee can be too risky if you're looking to be fast and efficient, his attacks deal massive damage and can be tricky to dodge. At high bonfire intensity he'll easily one shot kill most people or get really close to it, so it's just better to go the safe ranged route if the aim is to get some quick and easy souls. Of course your mileage may vary.

Tarkus

Giant Lord's really vulnerable to Dark damage so temporarily switching to a hexer build is not a bad idea although a +10 bow of your choice + Dark Arrows is just as good. Melee can be too risky if you're looking to be fast and efficient, his attacks deal massive damage and can be tricky to dodge. At high bonfire intensity he'll easily one shot kill most people or get really close to it, so it's just better to go the safe ranged route if the aim is to get some quick and easy souls. Of course your mileage may vary.
Yeah, I mean, what else is a pure sorcerer supposed to use? He made a silly statement.

I'm playing this game right now after not finishing the original DSII a year ago because of private troubles. ;) I forgot how different to DS1 the fighting engine feels.

Everything feels so fresh!!! I'm at Belfry Luna right now. Also my first time trying that covenant and farming stuff for my weapons.

Game rocks, can't get enough!

I've never heard that before.

Well, I prefer the DS1 engine and I'm still glad that DS3 is supposed to feel more like that.

With fresh I meant Scholar (so far) compared to the vanilla version. I phrased this one badly. ;)

There's a new sense of purpose in the game I haven't felt before. This is going to be an epic ride! Switching back and fourth between Dark Souls and Scholar feels strange, though, haha! I just tackled the DS1 DLC for the first time, too.

So there is a new petrified guy on the very start of the game, Beinhart path is blocked by a rock and hippos everywhere!!!!.

Feels good to play Dark Souls 2 again

giphy.gif

Dahbomb

I've got the Phantom pain for more Souls content...:/ I am so ready for Dark Souls 3.

What are some of the main changes they are doing in DS3? I didn't really follow the network test due to spoilers though I am fine with knowing game play mechanics in advance. Are they going to keep power stance from DS2? What about hexes? Will parry work like DS1 or DS2? What about stats, Healing and stuff like poise/equipment load?

Jombie

I've got the Phantom pain for more Souls content...:/ I am so ready for Dark Souls 3.

What are some of the main changes they are doing in DS3? I didn't really follow the network test due to spoilers though I am fine with knowing game play mechanics in advance. Are they going to keep power stance from DS2? What about hexes? Will parry work like DS1 or DS2? What about stats, Healing and stuff like poise/equipment load?

The biggest change seems to be the lack of hollowing... Embers replace effigies in terms of allowing for max health. Battle Arts take the place of power stancing; hexes look like they're out, parrying is almost identical to ds1. There will be an item similar to the Soul Vessel that will allow players to respec stats. Estus is thought to be the primary form
of healing. No official word on poise, weight encumbrance.

Mike M

Nick N
DS3 features "Sword Arts," which to my knowledge are special moves with a limited number of uses like spells, and parrying is the art associated with shields or something.

Manu

DS3 features "Sword Arts," which to my knowledge are special moves with a limited number of uses like spells, and parrying is the art associated with shields or something.

Yep. They used to have limited uses in an early build but now they use MP. DS3 has a Demon's Souls style MP bar you refill using a blue Estus flask.

Top Bottom