• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
This is horrible! Coming back from Bloodborne, I hate everything from the slow and sluggish movement to the terrible ganking-oriented new enemy placements. I still want to platinum it because it's a soul game. Don't know why I would do this to myself. :'(

I was having the same problem, you just kind of have to readjust to sword and board.

Ferr986

So at what level should one consider stopping in order to keep summoning still active?

Level doesn't matter here, co-op and invasions (minus arena pvp) is based on Soul Memory.

Matchmaking is based on tiers, depending your total Soul Memory

SM Tiers are

Tier - Soul Memory
1 0 - 9,999
2 10,000 - 19,999
3 20,000 - 29,999
4 30,000 - 39,999
5 40,000 - 49,999
6 50,000 - 69,999
7 70,000 - 89,999
8 90,000 - 109,999
9 110,000 - 129,999
10 130,000 - 149,999
11 150,000 - 179,999
12 180,000 - 209,999
13 210,000 - 239,999
14 240,000 - 269,999
15 270,000 - 299,999
16 300,000 - 349,999
17 350,000 - 399,999
18 400,000 - 449,999
19 450,000 - 499,999
20 500,000 - 599,999
21 600,000 - 699,999
22 700,000 - 799,999
23 800,000 - 899,999
24 900,000 - 999,999
25 1,000,000 - 1,099,999
26 1,100,000 - 1,199,999
27 1,200,000 - 1,299,999
28 1,300,000 - 1,399,999
29 1,400,000 - 1,499,999
30 1,500,000 - 1,749,999
31 1,750,000 - 1,999,999
32 2,000,000 - 2,249,999
33 2,250,000 - 2,499,999
34 2,500,000 - 2,749,999
35 2,750,000 - 2,999,999
36 3,000,000 - 4,999,999
37 5,000,000 - 6,999,999
38 7,000,000 - 8,999,999
39 9,000,000 - 11,999,999
40 12,000,000 - 14,999,999
41 15,000,000 - 19,999,999
42 20,000,000 - 29,999,999
43 30,000,000 - 44,999,999
44 45,000,000 - 999,999,999

To give you an idea, I have a SL125 at tier 25 and coop is usualy at Iron Keep, Gutter, Tseldora and first Castle Drangleic bosses.

Then I have two SL 150 at tier 30 that gets coop on final Castle Drangleic bosses, Undead Crypt and DLC areas.

Here's a multiplayer calculator so you can see what tiers can summon/invade you

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Summon+Range+Calculator

Caderfix

This is horrible! Coming back from Bloodborne, I hate everything from the slow and sluggish movement to the terrible ganking-oriented new enemy placements. I still want to platinum it because it's a soul game. Don't know why I would do this to myself. :'(

had the same issue, but I just readjusted my style. BloodBorne is attack, Dark Souls is defense.

You'll feel it's gameplay again eventually :)

Draper

Level doesn't matter here, co-op and invasions (minus arena pvp) is based on Soul Memory.

Matchmaking is based on tiers, depending your total Soul Memory

SM Tiers are

To give you an idea, I have a SL125 at tier 25 and coop is usualy at Iron Keep, Gutter, Tseldora and first Castle Drangleic bosses.

Then I have two SL 150 at tier 30 that gets coop on final Castle Drangleic bosses, Undead Crypt and DLC areas.

Here's a multiplayer calculator so you can see what tiers can summon/invade you

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Summon+Range+Calculator

Ooh, that's a smart way to keep veterans of the game from invading new players. Nice.

Ferr986

Ooh, that's a smart way to keep veterans of the game from invading new players. Nice.

It has both good and bad things.

Obviously good is that prevents twink builds invading new players. Bad part is that every soul you gain keep counting on Soul Memory so you were unable to control where you want to coop/invade because you kept upping your Soul Memory.

SOTFS include a ring sold by Straid (Agape Ring) that upon equipping it, you stop gaining souls, so you can make your character stay on a SM tier of your choice. Of course, you lose 1 of the 4 ring slots using it.

Buraindo

had the same issue, but I just readjusted my style. BloodBorne is attack, Dark Souls is defense.

You'll feel it's gameplay again eventually :)

That's not necessarily true, Dark Souls can be both.

It has both good and bad things.

Obviously good is that prevents twink builds invading new players. Bad part is that every soul you gain keep counting on Soul Memory so you were unable to control where you want to coop/invade because you kept upping your Soul Memory.

SOTFS include a ring sold by Straid (Agape Ring) that upon equipping it, you stop gaining souls, so you can make your character stay on a SM tier of your choice. Of course, you lose 1 of the 4 ring slots using it.

Agape ring sort of reintroduced twink builds. I've seen a bunch, definitely not as bad as it was in DS1 though.

D. Dark

I had no idea about soul memory. I stopped lvling because I wanted to keep co op active, good thing since I need to up my end/vit for harder enemies to come. Btw I lost nearly 100k souls and need a spot to farm souls, any ideas?

Ferr986

It really doesn't do that at all if barely.

In vanilla it more or less did ot. You couldn't stop getting souls so even if you did a twink build it would end up going up on SM tiers.

Agape ring sort of reintroduced twink builds. I've seen a bunch, definitely not as bad as it was in DS1 though.

This is true though, I've seen it too. I mean, it's not as bad as DS1 because you still need to reach Straid, but after that you can do a twink still in range to invade relatively early areas.

Mistel

Banned
In vanilla it more or less did ot. You couldn't stop getting souls so even if you did a twink build it would end up going up on SM tiers.
You can in the vanilla as it also has the agape ring, but before then you are right but I doubt that matters much to those who did. Don't remember avalyn's going backwards down tiers?

I'm getting back into Dark Souls 2 from playing vanilla years ago and woah at these new enemy placements. A damn ogre right at the beginning of the Forest of the Giants.

I was hoping From would re-adjust weapon damage type values so that bash damage wasn't so OP. You just rip through early area enemies so flawlessly with the Morning Star found at Majula while slash based weapons do only a fraction of damage even to enemies weak to it.

Archon473

I was having the same problem, you just kind of have to readjust to sword and board.

When people say Bloodborne is a Souls game, they mean Demon's Souls (even if they don't know it). Any rare resemblance to Dark is itself a resemblance to Demon's.

Wow, the game is infested with NPC trying hard to be human players with those random emotes, huge mention to the NPC that now teachs you how to light the Windmill even does a celebrate emotion when you burn it

Mike M

Nick N
Finally got some playtime in to loot the Gutter. Honestly kind of reminds me of No-Man's Warf, what with the verticality and lighting gimmick again. It's like a super easy Blighttown.

Manu

ugh this beginning is such a rut to get out of with no greatsword, low adp and 1 estus

There's a shard on the well by the Mansion in Majula, so you can start the game with 2.

darklurker done, master of hexes done....

anoying is:

30 sunlight medals
hidden weapon

ADVICES?

For Sunlight Medals you can either play a lot of coop (leaving your sign on the first bonfire in Drangleic Castle is the best place imo,) or you can farm the Falconer warriors in Tseldora, they have low drop rates but I got my last 5 from them in like 20 minutes.

For Hidden Weapon, same thing. Go to Belfry Sol once you already have the aged feather. Look for the Madman spirit. If he's not there, warp back to the bonfire using the feather and try again. Sometimes you'll be summoned to kill an invader. The whole process takes about an hour and a half.

RiggyRob

Started this up last night, and it feels strange compared to Bloodborne. The game feels both slower and faster at the same time, and the feedback from hitting enemies or being hit doesn't feel right - you see the health bar go down but the animations don't match it.

Playing around with the Sorcerer build is nice since you get proper spells and it's a very different style of playing, but I'll probably do a classic Paladin build for Dark Souls 3.

mstevens

So I'm trying to get hidden weapon right now by killing the mad warrior but I think I have a problem. I've killed him 10 times now, which means I should be rank 1 and I think the reward is a slab, but the bell keeper in belfy sol isn't giving me anything. Does that mean I'm doing this wrong? I don't want to kill him 30 times and then not get the reward.

I'm in the covenant and I have the ring on. I'm offline and I've never done pvp, if that matters.

Edit: nevermind he gave me the slab after I rested at a bonfire

The wisdom staff were moved mid game, thank god I can hit with my full magic strength before winter shrine!.

I really missed to keep an eye on my stats and inventory to stay alive in the journey

Started this up last night, and it feels strange compared to Bloodborne. The game feels both slower and faster at the same time, and the feedback from hitting enemies or being hit doesn't feel right - you see the health bar go down but the animations don't match it.

Playing around with the Sorcerer build is nice since you get proper spells and it's a very different style of playing, but I'll probably do a classic Paladin build for Dark Souls 3.

Some enemy moves ignore your attacks so beware the enemy will charge at you if they find and opening, the big ones....well they dont care, they will kill no matter what happens and you will like it (its a horrible experience)

Dresden

Wow, the game is infested with NPC trying hard to be human players with those random emotes, huge mention to the NPC that now teachs you how to light the Windmill even does a celebrate emotion when you burn it

I loved those dudes in Scholar. Those fuckers that won't stop running at low hp can, well, go die somewhere though.

Quesa

Probably a common question, but I didn't see it answerd in the OT:

I bought and beat DS2 on PC (DX9), but did not buy any DLC,

I bought Scholar on a sale through an upgrade, and want to play through the DLC stuff ONLY using my DX9 save. I know the two versions are not compatible, but did buying Scholar give me access to the DLC stuff in the DX9 version? So like if I download the DX9 version, will I be able to play the DLC, or will have to start over on DX11 to play it? Want to make sure before I start the proper download.

Dahbomb

So... Shrine of Amana is the most annoying level in the game, right?
The 2nd and 3rd part of the area are easily among the worst sections in the game. This is definitely one of those areas where the difference in range and Melee combat becomes evident. You sleep walk through the area with a good ranged/magic character but with a Melee only character it's just excruciating.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
There were times where I felt cheap for relying on sniping with poison arrows so much....but there were other times where I was like, fuck it, this is what it takes to get through the rough patches. Dealing with the casters in the Shrines was one of those times. The Souls games require at least a little bit of exploitation to get by, imo.

mstevens

The casters wouldn't even be so bad if I wasn't paranoid about falling to my death and walking a fraction of my normal speed. Just beat the boss so I hope I'm done with this area. First area I've disliked so far.

This feels a little.... off.

Played for a while yesterday, killed the first boss
Last Giant(?!)
in the first try but I still can't shake off the feeling that something just isn't right.

idk, maybe it hasn't clicked for me or something.

Buraindo

What's the GAF consensus on Yorgh's Spear?

Not a bad weapon, decent B/B scaling at +5, bit too heavy perhaps at 19. It's fairly flexible since it uses a mixture of lance, spear and twinblade move set. It also boosts some of your resistances when wielded.
I'd recommend trying it out for a bit in early areas to see if its move set is to your liking before upgrading.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Not a bad weapon, decent B/B scaling at +5, bit too heavy perhaps at 19. It's fairly flexible since it uses a mixture of lance, spear and twinblade move set. It also boosts some of your resistances when wielded.
I'd recommend trying it out for a bit in early areas to see if its move set is to your liking before upgrading.

Cheers!

Mistel

Banned
What's the GAF consensus on Yorgh's Spear?
As a minor addition with a quality 40/40 build you can hit two hand RB/R1 combo for 1K plus damage.
This feels a little.... off.

Played for a while yesterday, killed the first boss
Last Giant(?!)
in the first try but I still can't shake off the feeling that something just isn't right.

idk, maybe it hasn't clicked for me or something.
Bit floaty?

Quesa

Forgot I'd NG+'d my old character, so I'd have to do a bunch of stuff to get to the DLC anyway. Anyone have a save game that would put me where right at the start of the DLC I can use?

Breads

Banned

It isn't smart though.

It limits I dunno.... 95% of the regular invasion/pvp scenarios just to save theoretical new players from getting invaded by equally theoretical twink builds while at the same time making builds so needlessly granular that you literally have to plan as a group according and decide what your meta tiers are in both build and SM in order to play with or against each other.

It was a devastatingly bad decision that solves one problem by creating hundreds more.

Bit floaty?
Yeah, exactly. That, and it seems to be little bit more confusing (level design wise) than other souls game.

Like in DS1 once you figure out the first location and beat the first boss you know where you are suppose to go next and you sorta figure out the locations naturally. But here I just beat the boss in
Forest of Giants
but I'm still not sure where I'm going next.

I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eventually, but I can see this being quite confusing for newcomers.

uhh, they gave you a key, just explore the area.

*rolls eyes*
shall i tell you how many times i was unsure where to go next in ds1?
you are playing a souls game.

I did. Found 2 new doors, opened them but still no real way. One of them said something like
producing a symbol or something
but don't know what's the deal with that yet.

And I don't know, I didn't really lost my way in DS1 after the first boss. Sure there were instances that I were hesitant to where to go next but I was never really lost.

I'm not shitting on DS II man, as I said I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

Top Bottom