• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Mike M

Nick N
I did. Found 2 new doors, opened them but still no real way. One of them said something like
producing a symbol or something
but don't know what's the deal with that yet.

And I don't know, I didn't really lost my way in DS1 after the first boss. Sure there were instances that I were hesitant to where to go next but I was never really lost.

I'm not shitting on DS II man, as I said I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

Crestfallen Way of Blue dude tells you about the directions you can go out of Majula when you talk to him repeatedly. There are fourish routes to the souls the Emerald Herald goes on about (Forest of Fallen Giants has a connection to one of the other routes that bypasses an area), but really only one is available at the start since the other three are gated behind various NPC or item acquisition.

My biggest disappointment is that with the warping ability available from the start, the Metroidvania interconnectedness of the world largely went out the window for A->B->C->D->Warp back to Majula for next route progression. You just proceed from one area to the next without many branches to take.

Dahbomb

There are 4 ways you can proceed at the start from Majula ( I will spoiler in case you want to find them yourself) :
After killing the giant you go to the place where you came from to unlock the shortcut to elevator and open the door on the right. It will take you to the next boss fight which is the Pursuer and then after that there's a crow nest which transports you to a new area Lost Bastille.

In Majula there's a giant hole in the middle. With the Feline ring purchased from the cat in a house next to the hole, you can make your way down the hole with some platforming. And I mean ALL the way down.

You can go behind this house instead (near the cliffs) inside a small opening in the hills which seems to be gated. You can go below and pull a switch that opens the next area to Heide's tower of flame.

Right near the cave you first came from Things Betwixt, you can make a turn and go towards the Shaded Woods. You need a Branch of Yore here that you can purchase from the hag. After that you can proceed to the right of the forked path into the very dense fog area and make your way to the next area which is the Shaded Forest I think (or whatever it's called).

Mistel

Banned
Yeah, exactly. That, and it seems to be little bit more confusing (level design wise) than other souls game.
The movement speed base changed for DS2 so it does feel like you float about a bit plus it can be a bit less responsive sometimes.
Oh really? That's huge.
It does 433 AR at 40/40 and you get 3 hits with a RB RB if you land both parts of the spin right. But it does have the sweet spot thing going for it though so that neuters the damage somewhat.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It does 433 AR at 40/40 and you get 3 hits with a RB RB if you land both parts of the spin right. But it does have the sweet spot thing going for it though so that neuters the damage somewhat.

Dammit. I can never get the hang of sweet spot on essential weapons. We'll see how it goes when I get my hands on it.

Thank you guys for your suggestions. I managed to find what I assume is the second boss of the game. I think it's called
Pursuer
or something .

I'm currently farming souls to stock up on Lifegems for that boss fight, which actually made me notice something odd. Some of the enemies stopped respawning!!! What's the deal with that? Will they ever come back?

Ferr986

Thank you guys for your suggestions. I managed to find what I assume is the second boss of the game. I think it's called
Pursuer
or something .

I'm currently farming souls to stock up on Lifegems for that boss fight, which actually made me notice something odd. Some of the enemies stopped respawning!!! What's the deal with that? Will they ever come back?

Enemies stop respawning after some kill (+10, don't know the number exactly). They have infinite respawn if you join the Covenant of Champions.

Dahbomb

Pursuer
or something .

Lol farming for life gems to beat that boss?

You should explore some more around Majula and find Estus Shards to upgrade your Estus. If you have 3 charges that's enough to take out the Pursuer. I know there's a shard in the small well near the house in Majula where you can hit the rock and it falls bringing you an Estus shard.

Also you can one shot the boss by using the crossbow mount in that area. You have to do it at the start of the fight.

And enemies stop respawning after some time. You can prevent this by joining the Covenant of Champions in Majula but it makes the game harder.

mstevens

Dang, for some reason the Royal Aegis messed me up worse than any boss so far. Finally got it though.

Also went back to get my revenge in Shrine of Amana once I got the mushroom bonfire and could just sneak up behind all those guys. Got a bunch of twinkling titanite as I extincted them, which was a nice bonus.

Mike M

Nick N
So I'm in Brightstone right before the bridge over the stalagmite pit to the spider temple. Am I nuts, or is there no way to get back to the rest of the level from here?

Beat
the Pursuer
and some
Rat boss(es?) creature
, finally starting to get the hang of the game. Just reached the poison infested location of this game, I think it was called
something something Grave
. Man, I absolutely hate these poisonous environments in the souls series, so I'm gonna try and tackle this one first and be done with it as quickly as possible.

Lol farming for life gems to beat that boss?

You should explore some more around Majula and find Estus Shards to upgrade your Estus. If you have 3 charges that's enough to take out the Pursuer. I know there's a shard in the small well near the house in Majula where you can hit the rock and it falls bringing you an Estus shard.

Also you can one shot the boss by using the crossbow mount in that area. You have to do it at the start of the fight.
For real, I was getting my ass handed to me. Used 13 Lifegems and he still beat me. That's when I said fuck defense and went all Bloodborne on his ass and BAM! He became a cake walk.

Wait for him to attack, roll forward, land a couple of hits, rinse and repeat. I don't think I even used all of my 3 Estus flasks when I beat him.

Yeah, I figured those crossbows would probably do massive damage but he never let me shoot them so I just focused on beating him on my own.

Gotta admit, it became a fun fight when I dropped the defense and went on all attack mode. Though, I think one of his moves was sorta glitched. I could swore I dodged his curse attack a few times in my earlier fights but somehow my character would get teleported back in its way and I would get hit by it.

Thankfully that didn't happen in my last battle with him.

Enemies stop respawning after some kill (+10, don't know the number exactly). They have infinite respawn if you join the Covenant of Champions.
And enemies stop respawning after some time. You can prevent this by joining the Covenant of Champions in Majula but it makes the game harder.

So there is a way to make them come back? That's great to know, thanks guys.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
I just got the
Rat King Covenant
and accidentally beat the
Iron Keep
. But I still have my Watchdragon Parma +6 and Mace +8 as my main weapons. I picked a warrior I think, should I have way better weapons by this point? My stats are 25, 26, 26,10, 30, 25, 23, 5, 5. I can take screenshots if it helps.

Dahbomb

Rolling is better especially if you get some points in Adaptability to get your Agility up.

It's better to simply avoid the attacks altogether using the i-frames of the dodge. Just make sure you don't go to 70% equipment burden.
I could swore I dodged his curse attack a few times in my earlier fights but somehow my character would get teleported back in its way and I would get hit by it.
Oh it wasn't a glitch, it was the bad hitbox of the move that got you.

Thanks, someone mentioned before that I should put more points in Agility for more i-frames so I've been doing that. And yeah, I usually aim for i-frames when I use evasive moves, but I'm not an expert so sometimes I mess up and get hit instead. But I think I'm getting better.

Oh, now that makes more sense. I was wondering why it happened so frequently, so it was a hitbox problem, huh? Seriously FROM, you could've at least fix these problems in your re-release.

Nerokis

Finally going through this version of the game. Decided to start out as a Deprived, used a dagger for awhile, eventually switched to the Falchion, found a Parrying Dagger and paired them up, switched out the Falchion once I bought the Uchigatana, started power stancing the Falchion and a newfound Schimitar, then Falchion + Ricard's Rapier, and now Falchion + Winged Spear.

It's my first time going through a Souls without a shield, and my first time trying out power stancing. It's been a great time going through the game this way. Now that I have dex at 40 and str at 18, I've started to level up int, and that's adding another neat dimension to the game. Having put a minimum of 300 hours across the Souls games, it's amazing how many nuances and possible gameplay experiences are still foreign to me.

Really excited to eventually get to the DLC. It's generally recommended to tackle them toward the end, right?

Buraindo

Ok so I infused my bastard sword+10 with a raw stone and now it became E scaling. Can I remove the infusion or am I screwed?

Yeah you can remove it. Go to McDuff and select "None" in the Infusion menu. It's the only option that costs 1k Souls instead of 2k.

Really excited to eventually get to the DLC. It's generally recommended to tackle them toward the end, right?

Yeah the DLC is best played toward the end.

Breads

Banned
So there is a way to make them come back? That's great to know, thanks guys.

Bonfire Ascetic at a local bonfire raises the difficulty up a NG+ level and respawns enemies (including bosses) while the Covenant of Champions nullifies any kill limits while making enemies slightly more difficult (along with the other caveats of CoC like no more summoning).

Syntsui

i did, but in 1 hours i got summoned 2 times....

i do hope to have better chance in ng+?

At the bonfire, look for the locations with a ''red frame'' around them. They are more populated.

Even them, you should get summoned pretty consistenly at the first bonfire on Drangleic Castle.

Bonfire Ascetic at a local bonfire raises the difficulty up a NG+ level and respawns enemies (including bosses) while the Covenant of Champions nullifies any kill limits while making enemies slightly more difficult (along with the other caveats of CoC like no more summoning).
Thanks, I think I'll prefer CoC cause raising difficulty level to NG+ seems a little too hard for now.

Mike M

Nick N
Took my fight with the Gutter Denizen up the ladders to give myself some room.

Witch Set drop fell through the floor.

😑

Pejo

This is actually something I've been wondering since jumping into SOTFS for the first time. With the changes to CoC, I have a few questions:

1. When joining CoC, does it respawn enemies that you already farmed to extinction, or do you have to join before you kill them to the point where they don't respawn?

2. Are the effects of CoC lasting if I wanted to farm an area, then jump into a different covenant? Will enemies stay tougher or will it have lasting effects on being able to summon?

3. Is there any negative effect to joining CoC, farming an area, switching off to another covenant, then doing that same process again for a second area?

There are a few weapons/armor pieces I'd like to grind out, and I'm curious how this works since the SOTFS update. I put a ton of hours into the original DSII, so I'd like to waste as little time as possible with this fresh run.

Buraindo

This is actually something I've been wondering since jumping into SOTFS for the first time. With the changes to CoC, I have a few questions:

1. When joining CoC, does it respawn enemies that you already farmed to extinction, or do you have to join before you kill them to the point where they don't respawn?

2. Are the effects of CoC lasting if I wanted to farm an area, then jump into a different covenant? Will enemies stay tougher or will it have lasting effects on being able to summon?

3. Is there any negative effect to joining CoC, farming an area, switching off to another covenant, then doing that same process again for a second area?

There are a few weapons/armor pieces I'd like to grind out, and I'm curious how this works since the SOTFS update. I put a ton of hours into the original DSII, so I'd like to waste as little time as possible with this fresh run.

1. Yes it will bring despawned enemies back but they will disappear again if you leave the CoC.

2. No. Enemies will go back to normal and you'll be able to summon phantoms and shades as soon as you leave the CoC.

3. No negative effects in doing any of that. Leaving covenants comes with 0 penalties in DS2.

Pejo

1. Yes it will bring despawned enemies back but they will disappear again if you leave the CoC.

2. No. Enemies will go back to normal and you'll be able to summon phantoms and shades as soon as you leave the CoC.

3. No negative effects in doing any of that. Leaving covenants comes with 0 penalties in DS2.

Thanks for the info, exactly what I wanted to know! Looks like I'm going to do some farming tonight.

Ferr986

Someone around 2M SM is willing to give me a hand on Lost Sinner NG+4 or something like that?

Trying to get a 2nd Chaos Blade but fuck everything when the pyros appears, and the NPCs are useless (die in a couple of hits at this NG level).

Mistel

Banned
Someone around 2M SM is willing to give me a hand on Lost Sinner NG+4 or something like that?

Trying to get a 2nd Chaos Blade but fuck everything when the pyros appears, and the NPCs are useless (die in a couple of hits at this NG level).
Why not just use a brightbug? Or

Gameplay/combat feels like a fan project, does dodge even work or should I blame the shitty DS4? If this wasn't made by from (B team though) I would have deleted it 2 hours in.

Ferr986

Well, that was a waste. No matter what stats I use (50 DEX, 30/30 FTH-INT) I end up dealing more damage with Flame Weapon + regular Chaos Blade than Flame Weapon + Fire Chaos Blade.

Mistel

Banned
Well, that was a waste. No matter what stats I use (50 DEX, 30/30 FTH-INT) I end up dealing more damage with Flame Weapon + regular Chaos Blade than Flame Weapon + Fire Chaos Blade.
It would do less damage with those stats. You thought you would be able to to deal more damage with actually awfully scaling (It's not S regardless of what it says) for DEX, split damage and not too high fire ATK bonus? It might if you were invested more in INT/FTH but it's not going to be great.

ElTopo

Banned
Feels appropriate to ask here instead of making a thread. Is Lords of the Fallen worth checking out? I don't know how much longer I can wait until DS3 and if LOTF is "okay" then it might be enough of a distraction.

Mike M

Nick N
Feels appropriate to ask here instead of making a thread. Is Lords of the Fallen worth checking out? I don't know how much longer I can wait until DS3 and if LOTF is "okay" then it might be enough of a distraction.
It's okay. The setting is pretty limited and the enemy variety is pitiful, and everything is over-designed Games Workshop style. Ranged combat is almost entirely out of the question beyond kiting enemies, and the magic system isn't great.

Basically, hope you like melee characters.

Man, screw
The Gutter
area and some of the messages in there. After clearing up most of the area for like 30 minutes straight without finding a new bonfire (or knowing that you can light up your Torch at bonfires, so I was playing in darkness the whole time) I finally reached to a new area which was full of green poisonous statues. That's when I encountered two heavily ranked messages:

"Bonfire Ahead"
"Run, Don't Stop" (something in those lines)

So, I said what the hell, let's do what they are saying. And lo and behold, 3 enemies surrounded me while another blocked the path and statues had already poisoned me, all of this with no bonfire in sight....

I know it's my own fault for listening to them in the first place but ffs people.

RiggyRob

This game is a lot more scary than Bloodborne when you don't have a shield - enemies can literally just fall on you, and it's not entirely clear if you can interrupt them like before. Also I'm sure I rolled out of the way of being grabbed by an ogre but he still managed to grab me for an instakill. Hitboxes don't feel right.

Part of the problem is I'm using a Sorcerer which had next to no Strength, so I couldn't use shields even if I wanted to. Found the bonfire next to Melentia and the Fire Longsword yesterday, so I pumped up Strength and Dex to wield it and it seems a hell of a lot better than the dagger you start off with.

Top Bottom