• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Novocaine

Getting back on the SotFS train after getting my Bloodborne platinum and plan on getting the few remaining trophies I need for this also. Finished the first 3 areas sans one boss and man I'm missing all of those extra dashes and stamina. And I keep trying to do heavy charge attacks. Got to relearn how to play Dark Souls again. Probably good to do it now to prime for DS3.

Decided to go for the classic STR Greatsword and shield build. Maybe work towards Havel's Armour and KUGS with a touch of pyro for late game

It's really nice going back to 60fps. Even though there is less detail it still looks so gorgeous. Also the music in Majula is so soothing.

So the main trophies I need are the collect all sorceries/miracles/etc, am I right in thinking I have to reach NG++ for a couple of spells?

JGLS

So the main trophies I need are the collect all sorceries/miracles/etc, am I right in thinking I have to reach NG++ for a couple of spells?

Yes, you need to reach NG++ and get to Chancellor Wellager on Drangleic Castle in order to purchase Bountiful Sunlight, Wrath of the Gods and Great Chaos Fireball.

Novocaine

Yes, you need to reach NG++ and get to Chancellor Wellager on Drangleic Castle in order to purchase Bountiful Sunlight, Wrath of the Gods and Great Chaos Fireball.

Cool thanks. I never bothered going past NG, always started a new character and tried a different build. Should have plenty of time to knock this out before DS3 hits.

Mistel

Banned
This game is a lot more scary than Bloodborne when you don't have a shield - enemies can literally just fall on you, and it's not entirely clear if you can interrupt them like before. Also I'm sure I rolled out of the way of being grabbed by an ogre but he still managed to grab me for an instakill. Hitboxes don't feel right.

Part of the problem is I'm using a Sorcerer which had next to no Strength, so I couldn't use shields even if I wanted to. Found the bonfire next to Melentia and the Fire Longsword yesterday, so I pumped up Strength and Dex to wield it and it seems a hell of a lot better than the dagger you start off with.
Well hitboxes are broken or just awful, it depends but generally a longsword is better than a dagger.
about Shrine of Winter how does it work with those souls?

i'm in NG+ so i need actually 2 mio souls now?
Yes you will need 2 million souls or all of the great souls

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Hitboxes aren't that much worse than in other games, especially the grabbing attacks -- those have always been terrible (including Bloodborne which has a bunch of really iffy vacuum ones - I should make gifs of some captures I've taken some day, lol), and in DS2 it's even more noticeable because there are so many of them.

To this day, I'm still not sure why I sometimes avoid Aava's grab attack and why I sometimes don't. xD

jorgeton

I picked this up last week during the PSN sale and am loving it. So much.

I played the vanilla version on PS3 and had issues with it, mostly how to me the game felt artificially difficult. There were a lot of BS deaths due to cheap enemy placement and behavior. It's great to see From eliminated the annoying parts and kept the game difficult, but fun. I've died dozens of times but it always felt like my fault.

An example is with Iron Keep. In OG DS2, there were a couple of archers dinging you the second you walked out to the bridge area before the smelter demon. That part always really annoyed me. Especially that one bastard archer off to the right of the entrance. Here, they've removed that guy, which instantly makes the area more fun.
but they replace him with knights that chase you down.. which I don't mind as much. I'd rather lose to a fair fight hand-to-hand then by an off screen arrow

Another issue I had with DS2 was a world that felt like different areas glued together without rhyme or reason. Playing it again, I get a much better sense of the geography. Sure, they don't interlock like they did in DS1 as much, but it does feel more consistent on 2nd glance. It's not that From redesigned the actual levels, but I think I've just been more keen on paying attention on the geography. For instance, I never noticed that you can see Majula from Heide's Tower.

I gave up on DS2 in the Shrine of Amana, which is where I've just set foot last night before I logged off for the day. I hope they fixed that area, as it turned me off from DS2 for good. It represented everything wrong I found with DS2's design - cheap enemy placement and off screen projectile spamming. If the rest of SOTFS is anything to go by, I hope the area will be more palatable for me. Still tough, but a little less difficult for difficult's sake.

I'm also really really looking forward to the DLC areas. I have no idea what they are or look like, so that will be a nice experience.

Overall, I am eating a big old plate of crow. I was really tough on DS2, but it really is a brilliant game and I am hyped for DS3.

Just beat
The Lost Sinner
. I'm ashamed to tell that it took me 4 tries to do it :p

But seriously, talk about a disappointing boss fight. The intro was so hype I thought she is gonna be an intense and challenging boss but man the actual fight was soooo easy. Even the messed up hitboxes failed to make it challenging. I could've easily killed her in my second try if I hadn't rushed over landing the last blow to kill her.

Anyways, so does this mean that
Sinner's Rise
area is finished? If yes, then that was a really small area. I mean, it had only one bonfire so wouldn't it have been more logical to just merge it with
Lost Bastille
? Not bitching, just wondering, that's all.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Just beat
The Lost Sinner

But seriously, talk about a disappointing boss fight. The intro was so hype I thought she is gonna be an intense and challenging boss but man the actual fight was soooo easy. Even the messed up hitboxes failed to make it challenging. I could've easily killed her in my second try if I hadn't rushed over landing the last blow to kill her.

Sinner's Rise
area is finished? If yes, then that was a really small area. I mean, it had only one bonfire so wouldn't it have been more logical to just merge it with
Lost Bastille

In what way is it not merged with Lost Bastille? Because it has a separate entry on the fast travel screen or a different name? Not sure what real difference that makes.

In what way is it not merged with Lost Bastille? Because it has a separate entry on the fast travel screen or a different name? Not sure what real difference that makes.
Doesn't make any difference really. I just thought it was odd that they gave such a small area a new name and entry on fast travel screen, that's all.

Queelag's Domain was even smaller.

You are right. I guess Sinner's Rise just stood out more to me because of the fast travel system in DS2.

Anyways, now that I've finished that area I'll probably keep my focus on clearing up Lost Bastille before moving on to a completely new environment.

Buraindo

Queelag's Domain was even smaller.

Quelaag's Domain is an area in the same way that the King's Passage is. Can't really compare either to any actual proper area because they're considered part of their respective locations (Blighttown and Drangleic Castle).

Mike M

Nick N
Quelaag's Domain is an area in the same way that the King's Passage is. Can't really compare either to any actual proper area because they're considered part of their respective locations (Blighttown and Drangleic Castle).
As is Sinner's Rise (and Undead Purgatory, Cathedral of Blue, the Belfrys, etc.), which was what I was getting at.

Novocaine

Just beat
The Lost Sinner

Sinner's Rise
Lost Bastille

I reckon they made it a new area because the Lost Bastille already had too many bonfires.

The fight actually changes on NG+ or if you use an Ascetic at the Sinners Rise. Makes it far more challenging.

Just beat
The Lost Sinner

Sinner's Rise
Lost Bastille

Most of the bosses feels so nerfed on SotFS I ended killing most of them first time, as a sorcerer, using soul arrows.

mstevens

So I'm almost to the end of the game I think and I'm anticipating playing through new game + to get to new game ++ for those spells. Do I have to go through every area and every boss to beat new game + or can I skip some stuff? Not looking forward to Shrine of Amana again....

Manu

So I'm almost to the end of the game I think and I'm anticipating playing through new game + to get to new game ++ for those spells. Do I have to go through every area and every boss to beat new game + or can I skip some stuff? Not looking forward to Shrine of Amana again....

You can skip some optional areas and bosses, or even the four main bosses if you get your SM to a high enough number.

Shrine of Amana isn't one of those skippable areas, unfortunately.

Dahbomb

If you get 3 million+ souls you can go straight to Drangleic castle. Easiest way to do that is to farm The Rotten boss using Bonfire Ascetic near the hidden Bonfire in The Black Gulch.

mstevens

If you get 3 million+ souls you can go straight to Drangleic castle. Easiest way to do that is to farm The Rotten boss using Bonfire Ascetic near the hidden Bonfire in The Black Gulch.

Is it 3 million to skip in ng++ as well? Would be nice to go straight to the vendor

jorgeton

Amana is slightly easier than vanilla, especially if you played prr-nerf.

Yep, you were right, slightly easier. A change as simple as moving that troll off the main path did wonders. I was able to complete it last night, and I really loved the boss. He was on the easy side, but the design was awesome.

I powered through most of the next area but was met with a Garl of Vinland looking mofo who I was not doing too well against. Dark Souls 2 is not a game you play when you really should be in bed. Many dumb mistakes were made. Will tackle him again tonight.

nynt9

Trying to co-op with a friend, we have the same name engraving, he's human and I dropped my sign, he's one tier below me, we're both online and able to see ghosts from other players, but he can't see my sign, what should I do? On PS4.

Trying to co-op with a friend, we have the same name engraving, he's human and I dropped my sign, he's one tier below me, we're both online and able to see ghosts from other players, but he can't see my sign, what should I do? On PS4.

If I'm not mistaken if he's not in same tier he won't be able to see your sign.

6for8

You are in range. My guess is you are in a different region than your friend and one of you has cross-region play restricted. Go into game options and change it to allowed.

Or his boss is dead and you are using the full sign.

Or he has burnt an effigy at the bonfire. Check if he has the nullify human effigy's effect option in his bonfire menu.

Or he has farmed the area until everything is de-spawned.

For coop.

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/online-matchmaking

Had a great session last night. Cleared up
Lost Bastille
and found a new bonfire and few shortcuts in both
Forest of Giants
and
The Gutter
. Though I still need to completely clear those two up later on.

Also managed to find
Heide's Tower of Flame
. Beat the
Dragonrider
and went on to
No man's wharf

I have serious question in regards to
Dragonrider
boss though. Is he supposed to be that easy, I mean THAT easy?! Real talk, he didn't even touch me, not even once. Seriously, beat him without even taking a single hit. And each of my attacks would take out a big chunk of his health bar.

So, is it normal for him to be that easy or was my character just too OP for him? I'm currently level 79, have a normal Halberd+6 and my strength is around 29 or 30. Am I too OP for this area guys?

I love being a little OP in general but that was so easy that it wasn't fun anymore. So, please tell me that the game will get much harder later on.

Dahbomb

Heide's area is supposed to be among the first areas you play so if you are coming there after Forest, Gutter and Lost Bastille then yeah you will be pretty over powered.

But that boss is still really easy.

For now the game will be easy untiL you reach Drangleic castle. Some of the bosses will be hard only because of some gimmick you need to figure out.

Also you should talk to the lady by the Dragonrider and she will be at the entrance of Heide's tower from Majula and she can open a brand new path for you. Do that when you complete No Man's Wharf.

Novocaine

Had a great session last night. Cleared up
Lost Bastille
and found a new bonfire and few shortcuts in both
Forest of Giants
and
The Gutter
. Though I still need to completely clear those two up later on.

Also managed to find
Heide's Tower of Flame
. Beat the
Dragonrider
and went on to
No man's wharf

I have serious question in regards to
Dragonrider
boss though. Is he supposed to be that easy, I mean THAT easy?! Real talk, he didn't even touch me, not even once. Seriously, beat him without even taking a single hit. And each of my attacks would take out a big chunk of his health bar.

So, is it normal for him to be that easy or was my character just too OP for him? I'm currently level 79, have a normal Halberd+6 and my strength is around 29 or 30. Am I too OP for this area guys?

I love being a little OP in general but that was so easy that it wasn't fun anymore. So, please tell me that the game will get much harder later on.

Yeah Heides is a low level area. Like after the forest. You got to it super late.

But even then those two bosses aren't super hard. The area cam get pretty overwhelming though.

Okay, thanks guys that's reassuring.

And yeah I talked to the lady, though she seemed quite dishonest. But thanks for the tip Dahbomb, I'll make sure to check up on her on Majula later on.

Novocaine

So I decided I'm sick of the UGS thing and decided to start again. How are miracle builds now? I know they used to be super good in vanilla but are they still viable after the nerf? Need something different.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So I decided I'm sick of the UGS thing and decided to start again. How are miracle builds now? I know they used to be super good in vanilla but are they still viable after the nerf? Need something different.
Faith builds are still viable, just not as OP as they used to be. Lots of weapon have decent lightning infusion and paired with Sunlight Blade it's pretty good.

If you just want to chuck lightning bolts though, ehh... stock up on amber herbs 'cause you don't have many casts. Emit Forces might be a viable alternative.

Novocaine

Faith builds are still viable, just not as OP as they used to be. Lots of weapon have decent lightning infusion and paired with Sunlight Blade it's pretty good.

If you just want to chuck lightning bolts though, ehh... stock up on amber herbs 'cause you don't have many casts. Emit Forces might be a viable alternative.

Nah I want to swing weapons around. I was going to try the Lightning Claymore/Throne Defender getup. But I would like to have the spells there just to mix it up a little bit. I've done the sorcery build and I've always found pyro kind of boring.

Mistel

Banned
Nah I want to swing weapons around. I was going to try the Lightning Claymore/Throne Defender getup. But I would like to have the spells there just to mix it up a little bit. I've done the sorcery build and I've always found pyro kind of boring.
Use a Thorned Sword it's ideal for that style of build.

Novocaine

Use a Thorned Sword it's ideal for that style of build.

Yeah I'll probably pick up one of those to mess around with as well, especially with the durability loss on the Throne Defender Sword. And maybe also for a little Mirror Knight RP summoning.

Man I'm so excited to get this build off of the ground. I started before I left for work and it's all I've been thinking about for the entire shift.

HORRORSHØW

the game is great. i'm on ng+++ now and just punching things with powerstanced bone fists.

rob+2, stone ring, chloranthy+2, flynns. packs a punch and stunlocks most mobs.

I'm on my first playthrough. I just beat the Fume Knight with a nice varied party of 3! Yay! I think I could have done him myself but my playtime is very limited at the moment. Still, it felt good and took a few tries.

mstevens

Is there a list of spells and stuff you need for platinum? I want to cross check to make sure I have everything I need before I start ng+

Novocaine

Hah that used to happen to me all the time. I'd get impatient to get off work so I can start on my new character. XD

Happens to me all the time. Get into a Souls mood and become obsessed.

Got my Claymore now though. Kicking ass and taking names. Going to start pumping points into some miracles now. A few extra heals so I can be more reckless sounds fun.

RiggyRob

The Last Giant went down last night, was quite surprised to see that my swings with the Fire Longsword did the same amount of damage as the Great Soul Arrows, wasn't quite expecting it - the turtle knight shit me up when he came down the lift though.

Definitely feel a lot safer using a shield, at the moment the Large Leather Shield is the best I can use with 90% damage reduction, are there any easily obtained better shields in the early game? Also I keep getting swarmed by 4 or 5 soldiers at a time, I swear it's almost the same as Bloodborne but without the agility/manoeuvrability - I'm managing to handle them by kiting and running away when I need to, but it feels wrong really.

I suppose I've got two options now, go to Heide's Tower of Flame or unlock the door in the Forest of the Fallen Giants with the key from the boss.

Top Bottom