• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

6for8

I've never used a bright bug.. Do I pop it after I go in? Any other consumables I can use to tip the scales?

Really having trouble.. Going on 15 deaths now. Run up to it is de spawned at least.

Edit: got them!!! Omg I didn't realize the archer doesn't really do much if you stay toward the beginning. when I would race toward him, the other guys would destroy my npcs or come randomly to me, but staying toward the beginning area made it really easy.

Well done!

The arrows are what always get me. Stun me then I get hit with a giant toothpick that crushes my skull.

Brightbugs boost your damage output and up your defence. They last a couple of minutes and will be replaced by another consumable if you eat one after, like a green blossom. I never remember to eat them until after the fight is over.

RiggyRob

Met Lucatiel (do I need to summon her for a boss? Seems like she said she can be an NPC summon which was more blatant than how Bloodborne did it), Carhillion (looking forward to using Great Heavy Soul Arrow and Soul Spear Barrage when I can) and Gavlan in No Man's Wharf yesterday, am I right in thinking Gavlan's the only person you can sell to? Didn't see the option for anyone else.

This game seems like it's trying a bit too hard with the 'gotcha!' moments, almost every 5 minutes after killing one enemy there's another that pops out exactly behind me where I can't see them, no matter where I'm looking. At least I managed to use a Pharro's Lockstone for the massive torch, cause I can't see shit without it.

mstevens

Do I need lud and zallen for any spells toward the platinum trophy? Not really trying to deal with that lol just beat aava and don't really feel like doing that times 2.

Novocaine

Met Lucatiel (do I need to summon her for a boss? Seems like she said she can be an NPC summon which was more blatant than how Bloodborne did it), Carhillion (looking forward to using Great Heavy Soul Arrow and Soul Spear Barrage when I can) and Gavlan in No Man's Wharf yesterday, am I right in thinking Gavlan's the only person you can sell to? Didn't see the option for anyone else.

This game seems like it's trying a bit too hard with the 'gotcha!' moments, almost every 5 minutes after killing one enemy there's another that pops out exactly behind me where I can't see them, no matter where I'm looking. At least I managed to use a Pharro's Lockstone for the massive torch, cause I can't see shit without it.

Lucatiel has a pretty cool story. You can summon her for fights. You need to summon her in and she needs to survive the fight to be able to continue the story.

Gavlan is the only person you can sell to yes. He will appear in a few different places and remain in the third place you find him.

Do I need lud and zallen for any spells toward the platinum trophy? Not really trying to deal with that lol just beat aava and don't really feel like doing that times 2.

I doubt it. PC version of Dark Souls 1 didn't count the DLC magic spells for the achievement. Dark Soul 2 probably doesn't either.

RiggyRob

Lucatiel has a pretty cool story. You can summon her for fights. You need to summon her in and she needs to survive the fight to be able to continue the story.

Gavlan is the only person you can sell to yes. He will appear in a few different places and remain in the third place you find him.

Is there any indication of which boss fights you need to summon her for? I can imagine that if you only see summon signs while human then you could miss her sign.

Mistel

Banned
Is there any indication of which boss fights you need to summon her for? I can imagine that if you only see summon signs while human then you could miss her sign.
There isn't but she can be summoned in no man's wharf for that boss fight. The others it's more of a case of finding her summon sign.

Novocaine

If you find her in person in a zone then she will be an available for one of those zones boss fights. You need to exhaust her dialogue in order to see her sign.

Spoilers for locations and bosses

Wharf - in a house, summons for the Flexile Sentry.

Lost Bastille - in the tower past the Tower Apart bonfire, summons for Lost Sinner.

Black Gulch - hard to find her here, there's a small ledge off to the right before the first oil pools and a path leading to her, summons for The Rotten.

After those 3 encounters she will talk to you at Aldia's Keep and give you her weapon and armour.

RiggyRob

There isn't but she can be summoned in no man's wharf for that boss fight. The others it's more of a case of finding her summon sign.

If you find her in person in a zone then she will be an available for one of those zones boss fights. You need to exhaust her dialogue in order to see her sign.

Spoilers for locations and bosses

Wharf - in a house, summons for the Flexile Sentry.

Lost Bastille - in the tower past the Tower Apart bonfire, summons for Lost Sinner.

Black Gulch - hard to find her here, there's a small ledge off to the right before the first oil pools and a path leading to her, summons for The Rotten.

After those 3 encounters she will talk to you at Aldia's Keep and give you her weapon and armour.

Ok, that makes sense. I've just watched a video of The Last Giant fight and realised I missed summoning Pate to it - I think it's pretty shitty that you can miss the signs when playing offline and you're Hollow, at least make them visible but unusable as a hint you need to turn human again.

Novocaine

Ok, that makes sense. I've just watched a video of The Last Giant fight and realised I missed summoning Pate to it - I think it's pretty shitty that you can miss the signs when playing offline and you're Hollow, at least make them visible but unusable as a hint you need to turn human again.

It is but it's not super obscure. Plus if you're going for everything you have to do multiple playthroughs anyhow.

Novocaine

Finally done with the Sunbro's, can start earning souls again. I'm pretty content with not having to take anybody through Drangelic castle for a while.

Also really happy that I decided to hear up for and upgrade the Rebel's Greatshield early, Shrine of Amana is a piece of piss with this thing.

Aava, the king's pet
..... Ugh, she is kicking my ass.

I feel like I need to find/do something first before trying this fight cause fighting that thing while she is invisible seems to be impossible.

D. Dark

Ok guys, how do I know where to go next? So far im at iron keep trying to deal with the fire paths. Killed the smelter demon and reached the 2nd bonfire. Realized there were some doors I couldn't open in previous areas I went back and still cant open them. Whats the best covenant for pve?

Aava, the king's pet
..... Ugh, she is kicking my ass.

I feel like I need to find/do something first before trying this fight cause fighting that thing while she is invisible seems to be impossible.

You can make the boss
visible
later.

Ok guys, how do I know where to go next? So far im at iron keep trying to deal with the fire paths. Killed the smelter demon and reached the 2nd bonfire. Realized there were some doors I couldn't open in previous areas I went back and still cant open them. Whats the best covenant for pve?

Coop, the sun covenant
Protect people from invasion, blue sentinels
Hard mode, Champions covenant

Buraindo

Oddly enough I never really did a full Company of Champions playthrough, always felt the need to complete every single NPC quest line. Guess that's what I'm going to do next. Will go for a hex quality build.

mstevens

Oh god I think fume knight and allone are next and I'm too high of a level to have summons show up regularly for ng (haven't seen a player sign in forever)

Mistel

Banned
Oh god I think fume knight and allone are next and I'm too high of a level to have summons show up regularly for ng (haven't seen a player sign in forever)
It's your soul memory not level you can use the agape ring to cap it.
I'm a heavy armor spear user, might have to go naked.
What spear are you using / general equipment and stats as heavy armor with spear is pretty vague.

mstevens

My soul memory is realllly up there. I grinded to make the castle unlocked in ng++ already to help make the graverobber trio fight easier

Using santiers and Havel set. It's a hybrid build though with magic and no adaptability so it's pretty much worse case scenario

Mistel

Banned
My soul memory is realllly up there. I grinded to make the castle unlocked in ng++ already to help make the graverobber trio fight easier

Using santiers and Havel set. It's a hybrid build though with magic and no adaptability so it's pretty much worse case scenario
Plus you're using Santier's which is a pretty awful spear.

mstevens

Great, thanks for the insight

Edit: anyway thinking about reinforcing a rapier or something and going in naked except for the helm that starts him in phase 2 with that ring that boosts damage the lower your burden is.

I do have a fully upgraded fire long sword that is crappy but I'm really comfortable with the move set. He's sorta weak to fire right? Maybe a bright bug will outweigh the crappiness.

Mistel

Banned
Great, thanks for the insight
Well I thought if you stuck with Stanlier's spear you must have a reason as it is or you haven't tried Yorgh's, Pate's, and the Gargoyle bident. You could try with Flynn's ring and a Estoc but you should probably raise you ADP so you've got more I frames instead of going naked, or get a lighter set than havels.

mstevens

Never mind I'm an idiot and killed the merchant that sells velstadts helm. Whelp.

Might try magic and summoning one (tank) npc to help get through the first phase, and then switching to espada ropera during second phase once the npc dies.

6for8

I guess I'm an even bigger idiot;) in majula I assume?

Side note - burnt ivory king fight was awesome

Why do you want the helmet for Fume? I find his buffed form harder, maybe that is what you want.

Unless it was changed in an update, the souls you collect to unlock the shrine of winter need to be collected in the ng you are in. Having 5 million soul memory in ng won't count for the unlock in ng+.

mstevens

Why do you want the helmet for Fume? I find his buffed form harder, maybe that is what you want.

Unless it was changed in an update, the souls you collect to unlock the shrine of winter need to be collected in the ng you are in. Having 5 million soul memory in ng won't count for the unlock in ng+.

Oh damn I didn't know that... Shoot. Oh well!

Is there anyway to get more giant souls? I accidentally used a couple of them and now
Vendrick's
huge HP is being a pain.

So, besides bonfire ascetics, is there any way to get more of them?
Side note - burnt ivory king fight was awesome
Agreed. Just beat him myself, he was really fun.

Mistel

Banned
Is there anyway to get more giant souls? I accidentally used a couple of them and now
Vendrick's
huge HP is being a pain.

So, besides bonfire ascetics, is there any way to get more of them?
Bonfire ascetics are the only way to gain more once you've used them unless you start a new NG cycle which will enable you to get all of them again.

Bonfire ascetics are the only way to gain more once you've used them unless you start a new NG cycle which will enable you to get all of them again.

Thanks.

So, how does bonfire ascetics actually work? Say I burn one in the King's door bonfire in
Forest of Fallen Giants
, does that make other bosses/enemies in the
Forest
to reappear or will it only affect the
Giant's memory
that's in vicinity of that particular bonfire?

Buraindo

Thanks.

So, how does bonfire ascetics actually work? Say I burn one in the King's door bonfire in
Forest of Fallen Giants
, does that make other bosses/enemies in the
Forest
to reappear or will it only affect the
Giant's memory
that's in vicinity of that particular bonfire?

It depends on which bonfire you burn them. So to use your example, burning one in the Place Unbeknownst (King's door) bonfire will affect
ALL the Giants memories, this includes items as well as enemies
and nothing else. Burning one in the Cardinal Tower will affect
the Last Giant and the Pursuer,
as well as the enemies and items tied to that specific bonfire. Anything else in the area that is not tied will not be affected.
It's also worth noting that metal chests won't be affected by ascetics.

It depends on which bonfire you burn them. So to use your example, burning one in the Place Unbeknownst (King's door) bonfire will affect
ALL the Giants memories, this includes items as well as enemies
and nothing else. Burning one in the Cardinal Tower will affect
the Last Giant and the Pursuer,
as well as the enemies and items tied to that specific bonfire. Anything else in the area that is not tied will not be affected.
It's also worth noting that metal chests won't be affected by ascetics.

Thanks, that's great actually. I'm gonna try burning one in Place Unbeknownst then.

J4g3r

Having a bit of fun on my last playthrough before Dark Souls III.

The build originally started as Senator Armstrong, but ended up taking the title of King.
QsOHOik.jpg

Novocaine

Finished up most of the non DLC areas now and have all the spells I can't buy from vendors in NG. Did Darklurker with a faith build, he got wrecked. Didn't even split.

Having a bit of fun on my last playthrough before Dark Souls III.

The build originally started as Senator Armstrong, but ended up taking the title of King.

Haha awesome.

Unai

So, I'm about to start the game having played and finished only Dark Souls 1. Can I go blind or should I know something important before starting it?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So, I'm about to start the game having played and finished only Dark Souls 1. Can I go blind or should I know something important before starting it?
I went in mostly blind and had a blast. The only thing you should probably know that the game is obtuse in telling you, are these:

- Level up Adaptability whenever you have some spare points to give. Cap it so that your Agility stat is at around 100 (or 105 if you want more i-frames on dodges). The higher the agility, the more i-frames you get.
- To be able to dual wield in a power-stance, you need 1.5x both weapons' required stats. Tap triangle/Y to two-hand a weapon, and hold triangle/Y to power-stance two weapons to unlock a new moveset. Then attack with L1 and L2 to get the new moves. They consume more stamina but hit harder and some of the moves are fun to use.
- You can only power-stance similar weapon types. So two thrusting swords, two clubs, etc. There's some power-stance compatibility chart out there on some wiki if you're interested.

Just beat
Sinh
, man that fight was so intense! During the fight my Greatsword+10 broke (silly me for not noticing it earlier) and I had to switch weapons from equipment menu right in the middle of the battle. I somehow pulled it off but man I was sure he would kill me before I could even get to the menu, hahaha.

So now with that one being done as well, the only thing that's left is the Iron King DLC. But I'm beginning to feel a little burnt out so I'll probably move on from the game for a while and come back to this later.

Thank you everyone for helping me here, can't wait to (hopefully) do this all over again with DS III.

Top Bottom