• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

mstevens

Fume knight down!! Got him to 1/5 health a couple times with one npc and was getting used to his second phase... Then purple_tsunami's summon sign popped up and we beat his ass. Thank you if you browse neogaf!!

Unai

I went in mostly blind and had a blast. The only thing you should probably know that the game is obtuse in telling you, are these:

- Level up Adaptability whenever you have some spare points to give. Cap it so that your Agility stat is at around 100 (or 105 if you want more i-frames on dodges). The higher the agility, the more i-frames you get.
- To be able to dual wield in a power-stance, you need 1.5x both weapons' required stats. Tap triangle/Y to two-hand a weapon, and hold triangle/Y to power-stance two weapons to unlock a new moveset. Then attack with L1 and L2 to get the new moves. They consume more stamina but hit harder and some of the moves are fun to use.
- You can only power-stance similar weapon types. So two thrusting swords, two clubs, etc. There's some power-stance compatibility chart out there on some wiki if you're interested.

You may know already but just in case you don't be sure to exhaust dialogue with everyone you can talk to..

Ok guys, I've started playing as a sorcerer.

In that main area, what's the deal with so many blood stains of people jumping off the ledge near the bonfire? It looks like there's nothing there! I was going to jump to see by myself but I was still in human form and didn't want to die.

I've got to the bonfire near a merchant that sells the key to the blacksmith and stopped. I'll play more tomorrow. This game is really pretty.

So those guys over in the "why is Dark Souls 2 so bad" thread are having fun ruining the party!

The question is, why do I love this game so much? Please help me, I must do something wrong because I'm having such a blast! I'm almost having as much fun as with DS1....I see them as two different entities.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So those guys over in the "why is Dark Souls 2 so bad" thread are having fun ruining the party!

The question is, why do I love this game so much? Please help me, I must do something wrong because I'm having such a blast! I'm almost having as much fun as with DS1....I see them as two different entities.
You're doing it wrong. If you don't think it's a disgrace to the franchise and don't nitpick everything horribly and are having fun, clearly the problem is with you! ;)

RiggyRob

Ok guys, I've started playing as a sorcerer.

In that main area, what's the deal with so many blood stains of people jumping off the ledge near the bonfire? It looks like there's nothing there! I was going to jump to see by myself but I was still in human form and didn't want to die.

I've got to the bonfire near a merchant that sells the key to the blacksmith and stopped. I'll play more tomorrow. This game is really pretty.

Are you going pure sorcerer? I recently started too and that was my intention, until I realised facing massive enemies without a shield and melee weapon is actually quite scary.

Buraindo

If you're having fun then why does it matter what others say? Just enjoy the game. I myself have issues with DS2, but I'm not going to condemn anyone for enjoying it and I sure am not going to ask what's wrong with them or myself for liking DS2 all the same either.

Unai

Are you going pure sorcerer? I recently started too and that was my intention, until I realised facing massive enemies without a shield and melee weapon is actually quite scary.

Well, I was thinking about getting a sword and enchanting it so it would scale with int (if this works like DS1, that is). The early weak enemies I was striking once with the soul arrow and finishing them off with the knife.

RiggyRob

Well, I was thinking about getting a sword and enchanting it so it would scale with int (if this works like DS1, that is). The early weak enemies I was striking once with the soul arrow and finishing them off with the knife.

I was doing that too, but man is the dagger shitty - y'know what, I might try enchanting weapons myself since I just met the blacksmith who can do it (no stones to actually enchant with yet though).

I've been running with the Fire Longsword since that's what I always wanted to use, and the Mail Breaker rapier makes a nice backup weapon since it just thrusts forward, no clanking against the wall bullshit.

Mike M

Nick N
I don't think I'll ever understand the in-game logic behind some NPC invaders later being summons if you defeat them (and to a lesser extent summons becoming invaders.). Like, did you invade my world to try and kill me on accident or something?

There's a Dark Souls/Star Wars crossover??

Seriously, huh, who? xD I thought you meant Seath but that's not even the right game...

Edit: LOL just saw your edit xD

Aldia be like

Kylo_Ren.0.gif

Mistel

Banned
I was doing that too, but man is the dagger shitty - y'know what, I might try enchanting weapons myself since I just met the blacksmith who can do it (no stones to actually enchant with yet though).

I've been running with the Fire Longsword since that's what I always wanted to use, and the Mail Breaker rapier makes a nice backup weapon since it just thrusts forward, no clanking against the wall bullshit.
It's not so much a dagger is crap it sort of is but it does need DEX investment to make it useful a bandit knife or royal dirk for example are much more effective choice.
You can either do enchanted or magic it depends on what you want either magic damage or physical from the enchanted.

If you're having fun then why does it matter what others say? Just enjoy the game. I myself have issues with DS2, but I'm not going to condemn anyone for enjoying it and I sure am not going to ask what's wrong with them or myself for liking DS2 all the same either.

That's what having games as a passion is like. ;) On a bad day negative discussions like that just get to me, sometimes. It's a bit unfortunate for people who haven't played the game, though. I think some of them will look for the bad stuff they heard about first and miss a wonderfull experience in the process. Not my problem but I like when people are as happy with things (games, music etc.) as I am.

RiggyRob

I've been rewatching Two Best Friends Play Dark Souls 2 (those fuckers had it easy, no dragon guarding Old Dragonslayer) and I've got a few questions:

- Are illusory walls still in SOTFS? I went back to where Pate says there's treasure but the illusory wall wasn't there or didn't trigger.

- Did SOTFS fix the lighting changes everyone was complaining about? Cause I can't see shit in The Gutter.

- Is there a 'story' path or route through areas that you're supposed to do before others? After Bloodborne I'm a bit weirded out how, instead of areas looping back on themselves, the areas just continue on and on and on, makes the bonfires feel more like checkpoints.

- Is there any way to talk to Targray behind Old Dragonslayer when playing offline? I did get a Token of Spite from a chest so I assume there's a way to get a Token of Fidelity.

- Do you get enough materials to upgrade all the weapons (or at least the ones you care about) to +3/6? I've sort of been spreading them around the weapons because I'm not sure what else to use the Titanite shards on.

- I keep seeing loads of different stuff that I l'd like to use, but they require big investments in different categories - is it actually viable to level everything equally (at least to the soft cap)?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
- Illusory walls are plenty, but you open them by pressing X (or A) not by hitting them. You do need to hit the faces that show up on the walls after using Pharros Lockstones though.
- No but it improved it somewhat. You couldn't see shit in the Gutter in vanilla either btw.
- There are four story paths you can do in any order you want. Defeat the big bad at the end to get the Great Souls and then you continue on through Drangleic Castle.
- Yes there is one. Somewhere in Huntsman Copse on the way to Undead Purgatory, drop from the suspended bridge to some piece of loot.
- Yep shards and large shards can eventually be bought in infinite numbers.
- It might take some time to make that viable and you'd be very high level, I wouldn't recommend it unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Mistel

Banned
I've been rewatching Two Best Friends Play Dark Souls 2 (those fuckers had it easy, no dragon guarding Old Dragonslayer) and I've got a few questions:

- Are illusory walls still in SOTFS? I went back to where Pate says there's treasure but the illusory wall wasn't there or didn't trigger.

- Did SOTFS fix the lighting changes everyone was complaining about? Cause I can't see shit in The Gutter.

- Is there a 'story' path or route through areas that you're supposed to do before others? After Bloodborne I'm a bit weirded out how, instead of areas looping back on themselves, the areas just continue on and on and on, makes the bonfires feel more like checkpoints.

- Is there any way to talk to Targray behind Old Dragonslayer when playing offline? I did get a Token of Spite from a chest so I assume there's a way to get a Token of Fidelity.

- Do you get enough materials to upgrade all the weapons (or at least the ones you care about) to +3/6? I've sort of been spreading them around the weapons because I'm not sure what else to use the Titanite shards on.

- I keep seeing loads of different stuff that I l'd like to use, but they require big investments in different categories - is it actually viable to level everything equally (at least to the soft cap)?
  1. Yes
  2. Yes
  3. Not really other than the main hub until you get to Drangleic castle then it has some
  4. Yes, there's one in the Huntsman's Copse.
  5. Yes talk to Chloanne she stocks upgrade materials and her inventory increases as your game progresses.
  6. Yes it is viable to do a build like that, but for something's like the novelty weapons not so much.

Mike M

Nick N
After farming Awestones and titanite chunks in Black Gultch to max out the Champions covenant, I finally stopped dicking around and took out Freja last night. I have such love-hate relation with Brightstone Cove.

+ Mostly love the environment. The army camp was a unique area, and I liked the ruined village.

+ Torch is useful!

- Ridiculous over-reliance on spiders. The village has, what, a few mages, a couple basilisks, and spiders spiders spiders. The way some of them just spawn outside the traversable area of the map and rush toward you is bullshit in a game series revolving around knowing enemy placements and engaging them as you see fit. And yet just carrying a torch nerfs the entire level into- oblivion.

- Bullshit one-way level design. Can't go back to the upper bonfire once you leave the platform with the zip line. Can't get back to the half of the village with the sinkhole once you cross over. Can't leave the spiderweb pit once you're in.

- Freja is an annoying fight. You've got a small army of NPC summons available and the torch keeps the minions at bay so it's not exactly hard, but it was tedious to wait for a safe opportunity to stab her in the face while the rest of her is completely impervious.

Warped to Drangleic Castle and saw player summon signs for the first time in ages. Jolly co-operation!

So just beat BB and watched some DS 3 footage. I really hope ds3 isn't all BB like architecture. Only thing I've seen is this city. I need more areas like we got in DS1/2. Has From made any statements on it?

Buraindo

- Bullshit one-way level design. Can't go back to the upper bonfire once you leave the platform with the zip line. Can't get back to the half of the village with the sinkhole once you cross over. Can't leave the spiderweb pit once you're in.

This is the main reason why I dislike that area so much. A million spiders + extremely annoying sorcerers I can handle, but the one way drops are something that I just can't stand. Especially the one in the building next to Ornifex, it's like a 30cm tall obstacle seriously.
I do like that the torch is game changing in this area though, it helps that it makes Brightstone that much easier on the eye.

Fhtagn

That is exactly how to have fun with Dark Souls 2. It's built around a different set of priorities than Dark Souls.

Fhtagn

So just beat BB and watched some DS 3 footage. I really hope ds3 isn't all BB like architecture. Only thing I've seen is this city. I need more areas like we got in DS1/2. Has From made any statements on it?

Yes. Miyazaki said that the network test area is intentionally very familiar ground for the series because he is protective of surprises.

mstevens

How much harder is new game ++ compared to +. I'm breezing through the bosses right now on + and for some reason rotten isn't as easy for me as other people make him seem, so I'm leaning towards doing the bosses again in ng++ instead of rotten farming.

Buraindo

How much harder is new game ++ compared to +. I'm breezing through the bosses right now on + and for some reason rotten isn't as easy for me as other people make him seem, so I'm leaning towards doing the bosses again in ng++ instead of rotten farming.

About the same I'd say. If in NG+ enemies can have up to twice as much health then in NG++ it's something like 2.5 times max. Barely noticeable.

mstevens

Ng+ down! I think I've decided to just beat the bosses again instead of rotten farm to get to the last spells... Hopefully will get that done this weekend.

Realized that I have basically all of my consumables still so I'll pop those during this last little run. Are divine blessings as useful as they sound? Any other consumables that'll help?

Buraindo

Ng+ down! I think I've decided to just beat the bosses again instead of rotten farm to get to the last spells... Hopefully will get that done this weekend.

Realized that I have basically all of my consumables still so I'll pop those during this last little run. Are divine blessings as useful as they sound? Any other consumables that'll help?

Divine blessings are pretty good but the animation can take a bit. Other useful consumables: Brightbug (Damage + Resistance buff), Elizabeth Mushroom (Massive health regen buff), Dragon and Monastery Charms (Cleanse poison and heal, slow animation), Amber/ Twilight/ Wilted Herbs (If you're a spell user/ Restores spell uses), Green Blossom (Stamina Regen) Rouge and Crimson Water (Spell uses+ Health). These are all useful healing/ Spell uses restoring items.
Also really useful if you're a spell caster, the
Crown of the Old Iron King
restores spell uses every two minutes. Temporary Resistance boosting items like Burrs don't really make that much of a difference at this point, and temporary stat boosting items are about as useless as they can get since they only last about 40 seconds and don't really help all that much.
Don't bother using Dried Roots, the healing rate is so slow it's a wonder why the item exists in the first place. Might as well equip the Ring of Restoration/
Crown of the Ivory King
if you're that desperate for healing.

Mistel

Banned
Don't bother using Dried Roots, the healing rate is so slow it's a wonder why the item exists in the first place. Might as well equip the Ring of Restoration/
Crown of the Ivory King
Not really the ring of restoration isn't too useful in late game and takes up a ring slot and the crown of the Ivory king is even slower than a dried root is.

Mike M

Nick N
Man is the second area of Shrine of Amana stressful as hell. Underwater lizard men that move insanely fast, casters everywhere, hard-to-see bottomless pits in the water that's slowing you down...

I made it through the whole area w/out dying, but had to go back to the third bonfire instead of challenging the boss to refill my Estus and warped out to do some shopping since I had to use some repair powders to keep my +10 Blackbow in fighting shape. Area seems like it would be impossible for characters that don't have good ranged items/some means of evading enemy detection (which I don't know even exists in this game).

mstevens

Divine blessings are pretty good but the animation can take a bit. Other useful consumables: Brightbug (Damage + Resistance buff), Elizabeth Mushroom (Massive health regen buff), Dragon and Monastery Charms (Cleanse poison and heal, slow animation), Amber/ Twilight/ Wilted Herbs (If you're a spell user/ Restores spell uses), Green Blossom (Stamina Regen) Rouge and Crimson Water (Spell uses+ Health). These are all useful healing/ Spell uses restoring items.
Also really useful if you're a spell caster, the
Crown of the Old Iron King
restores spell uses every two minutes. Temporary Resistance boosting items like Burrs don't really make that much of a difference at this point, and temporary stat boosting items are about as useless as they can get since they only last about 40 seconds and don't really help all that much.
Crown of the Ivory King

Thanks! How do the Elizabeth mushrooms work? Is it like ring of restoration or more like lifegems? (As far as how long it lasts / how much it heals)

Buraindo

Not really the ring of restoration isn't too useful in late game and takes up a ring slot and the crown of the Ivory king is even slower than a dried root is.

Point is, they're all pretty poor items with maybe the Ring being the better of the lot. I'm particularly annoyed at Dried roots because they're found in metal chests like they're some sort of big deal. But yeah you're right, the Crown's even worse actually.

Thanks! How do the Elizabeth mushrooms work? Is it like ring of restoration or more like lifegems? (As far as how long it lasts / how much it heals)

It heals about 2000 hp in 40ish seconds and you consume it like a lifegem. It's that good but also fairly uncommon so be wary of that.

Mike M

Nick N
The amount of curative items in this game is nuts. I hardly ever use Estus. DS1's reliance on the flask was way more tense, I'm never hurting for Lifegems and pop them like candy if I take damage.

Novocaine

Man is the second area of Shrine of Amana stressful as hell. Underwater lizard men that move insanely fast, casters everywhere, hard-to-see bottomless pits in the water that's slowing you down...

I made it through the whole area w/out dying, but had to go back to the third bonfire instead of challenging the boss to refill my Estus and warped out to do some shopping since I had to use some repair powders to keep my +10 Blackbow in fighting shape. Area seems like it would be impossible for characters that don't have good ranged items/some means of evading enemy detection (which I don't know even exists in this game).

This baby helps quite a bit.

So I'm LTTP on this and so far I've beaten the Giant in the forest and the Dragonrider.

Opinion so far is that the game is pretty terribly designed and there was way too many hordes of enemies in the forest. Fuck that place.

But other than that, was curious about how this torch system works. I used up my first torch straight away because I didn't realise it was a limited consumable, which scared me off using up my other ones.

Can I pretty much just light a torch at a bonfire, then just put it away and only pull it out for 2 seconds when I find a sconce to light? Or does dying use up the torch or something anyway?
Used my new key for the forest and found a dark stairway down so figured I should clarify how this system works now that I need to use it :p

Also can someone spoil me on how many doors I can open with this key? So far just found this one (which is underneath the bonfire in the tower and then in the next room) as well as the one directly above the same bonfire.

Mike M

Nick N
You only have the one torch, really. Additional torches just add to the burn time (I think 5 min a torch?). It goes out as soon as you switch it out for whatever's in your off hand.

Places where you really need a torch are mostly pretty accommodating by having lots of braziers or whatever to light. They light the way and are handy for relighting the torch instead of running back to the bonfire every time.

Anyone else have really anti-climatic PVP battles?

Me and this guy were facing each other on Iron Bridge, both of us using greatswords, heavy armor, two-handed, and ready to charge, when he accidentally (I assume) fell off the bridge and perished in the lava.

Mike M

Nick N
Most of my PvP are ridiculously lopsided one way or the other.

I did have an insane fight by the King's Gate bonfire in Drangleic tonight, though. I saw that my soapstone was grayed out before the invasion notification happened, so I started hitting every summon sign I could find. It seemed really inconsistent which ones worked and which ones said "cannot summon at this time," anyone know what the deal was with that?

Anyway, I eventually get 3 phantoms just as the invader gets there, and the fight spills out into the room with the golem doors. You know, the one where I'd already opened them all. So now there's like a half dozen each of Ruin Sentinels and stone soldiers in the mix, and it's just absolute bedlam. Eventually it's the invader, me, and one surviving phantom. We're both near death and I don't dare pop a gem or Estus for fear the invader will close the gap. Eventually we flank him and take him down. I felt bad using the black crystal to send the guy doing co-op back home, but I'd already beaten Mirror Knight and I'm not at a point I can open the way to Throne of Want, so I didn't know what else to do : /

mstevens

Just got the platinum! That's this and bloodborne down now. I'm hoping they release Demons and Dark a Souls for ps4! I honestly think I might have liked this more than bloodborne but I'll need to let it settle before I decide.

Mistel

Banned
I felt bad using the black crystal to send the guy doing co-op back home, but I'd already beaten Mirror Knight and I'm not at a point I can open the way to Throne of Want, so I didn't know what else to do : /
You can just let the time run out then they'll still gain the rewards.

You only have the one torch, really. Additional torches just add to the burn time (I think 5 min a torch?). It goes out as soon as you switch it out for whatever's in your off hand.

Places where you really need a torch are mostly pretty accommodating by having lots of braziers or whatever to light. They light the way and are handy for relighting the torch instead of running back to the bonfire every time.

Alright thanks. So if you put away your torch do you then have to go back and relight it or can you pull it back out again?

2AdEPT

So I'm LTTP on this and so far I've beaten the Giant in the forest and the Dragonrider.

Opinion so far is that the game is pretty terribly designed and there was way too many hordes of enemies in the forest. Fuck that place.

But other than that, was curious about how this torch system works. I used up my first torch straight away because I didn't realise it was a limited consumable, which scared me off using up my other ones.

Can I pretty much just light a torch at a bonfire, then just put it away and only pull it out for 2 seconds when I find a sconce to light? Or does dying use up the torch or something anyway?
Used my new key for the forest and found a dark stairway down so figured I should clarify how this system works now that I need to use it :p

Also can someone spoil me on how many doors I can open with this key? So far just found this one (which is underneath the bonfire in the tower and then in the next room) as well as the one directly above the same bonfire.

Everyone has a rough time at the start unless they find one of the two or three early kick arse weapons. You also have to keep in mind that you dont get fast roll automatically, you need to pump ADP and even VIT if you want to geta really good fast roll going. Similar to dark souls, ther are a lot of benefits to speed running aroufn the first few levels to clean out all the items....not necessary but makes life easier.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Alright thanks. So if you put away your torch do you then have to go back and relight it or can you pull it back out again?
You need to relight it, but if it seemingly goes out during a canned animation such as climbing a ladder it'll still be there.

Later you get flame butterflies, consumables that allow you to light a torch from wherever.

Top Bottom