• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Yopis

Having a blast with this. Dark Souls 1 was my favorite but this game is a fun ride. Just got to the Gutter. Had fun earlier making it to the
Rat King

Don't understand the hate guess some members,pick everything apart. Glad I don't let the forum dictate what I like or buy. Currently lvl 79 no real direction just find zone try to clear.

Novocaine

What is the point of the Giant memories?

Aside from the one that is mandatory, they each give a Soul of a Giant which will lower King Vendrick's defense making him not take 5 hours to kill. Also one of the memories has the Drangelic Helm, and there are a few other goodies scattered about.

Mike M

Nick N
Don't understand the hate guess some members,pick everything apart.
I'm far enough along that I can see where some people are coming from. The chief complaint I see is that the game derives much of its challenge by pitting you against hordes of enemies to overwhelm you rather than any sort of thoughtful encounter design, which is absolutely valid, because it does. It's not as noticeable in early areas where it's mostly trash hollow mobs like the first game would throw at you on occasion, but later levels can be fucking ridiculous. You try and kite one enemy, and the whole bunch of 12ft tall dudes in armor will rush you at inhuman speed. I just beat an area where there were a bunch of infinitely respawning casters, two Black Knight level enemies, and a fucking boss from a previous level all standing in front of the fog gate to the area boss. It was complete bullshit.

sam777

Aside from the one that is mandatory, they each give a Soul of a Giant which will lower King Vendrick's defense making him not take 5 hours to kill. Also one of the memories has the Drangelic Helm, and there are a few other goodies scattered about.

Thanks, I will complete them then. Earlier though I was hitting Vendrick but he does not react why is that?

Buraindo

They also flesh out the Forest of the Fallen Giants a whole lot. Give context to the enemies in there and explain why the Last Giant is so angry.
Personally, I thought they were nice if a bit too short and condensed for their own good.

Thanks, I will complete them then. Earlier though I was hitting Vendrick but he does not react why is that?

Hit him some more, but do so after you get the Souls.

mstevens

I'm far enough along that I can see where some people are coming from. The chief complaint I see is that the game derives much of its challenge by pitting you against hordes of enemies to overwhelm you rather than any sort of thoughtful encounter design, which is absolutely valid, because it does. It's not as noticeable in early areas where it's mostly trash hollow mobs like the first game would throw at you on occasion, but later levels can be fucking ridiculous. You try and kite one enemy, and the whole bunch of 12ft tall dudes in armor will rush you at inhuman speed. I just beat an area where there were a bunch of infinitely respawning casters, two Black Knight level enemies, and a fucking boss from a previous level all standing in front of the fog gate to the area boss. It was complete bullshit.

The bell ringer is right under the stairs you came down. If you kill him, and then kill him again when he comes out of the ground, he won't ring the bell and the casters won't be summoned. Also, you can pull the two black knights separately.

Novocaine

The Syan Knights are no where near as deadly as Black Knights were. But as above said you can pull them separately from the Dragon Rider and killing the enemies that try to ring the bell under the stairs will stop the mages from spawning.

Most hoards of enemies in the game can be fought one on one. You just have to be careful.

Weird question here: I'm running a faith build now and using the battle axe as my main. Should I just dump my points into faith and keep strength at the minimum I need to use the Lightning battle axe or level strength/faith equally?

Unai

After playing for 28 hours I'm in the Medusa boss now (I forgot her name). I don't know, I'm not really that into this game as I was when I was playing Dark Souls. It might be a case of "your first souls game is always your prefered" or maybe I'm starting to feel fatigued after playing 200 hours of Dark Souls 1 since Dezember. Also, this game seems to be harder than Dark Souls 1, but not in a fun way like facing Ornstein and Smough in the first game.

One thing I'm liking is that the community is way more alive than the the one in Dark Souls 1, although it's starting to get hard to find help. Maybe I got overleved and people in my range are playing elsewhere. (level 91 now).

Novocaine

Weird question here: I'm running a faith build now and using the battle axe as my main. Should I just dump my points into faith and keep strength at the minimum I need to use the Lightning battle axe or level strength/faith equally?

I would keep putting points into faith unless you are on the lookout for a new weapon that needs more strength. I would do faith first and strength later. That way you get access to more miracles.

Beaten Last Giant, Pursuer and Dragonrider so far, what easy areas/bosses do I have left to tackle?

And what good equipment is lying around? Using Fire Longsword +2 atm and only rings I have are the blue seal from the covenant and ring of blades from pursuer. Edit: Just found restoration ring :p

Only stat I've leveled so far is adaptability, and my agility just hit 100 so I'll be pumping up my health now.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Beaten Last Giant, Pursuer and Dragonrider so far, what easy areas/bosses do I have left to tackle?
Flexile Sentry is easy. But the area, No Man's Wharf, might not be all that trivial.

And what good equipment is lying around? Using Fire Longsword +2 atm and only rings I have are the blue seal from the covenant and ring of blades from pursuer. Edit: Just found restoration ring :p
Eh, don't remember offhand. Just explore everywhere.

What benefits does obtaining the ancient dragon soul give?

Thanks.
Trade for a weapon at Ornifex.

Flexile Sentry is easy. But the area, No Man's Wharf, might not be all that trivial.

Yeah I explored around everywhere and tackled No Man's Wharf which was easy, and Flexile Sentry was a joke.

So both areas, Last Giant -> Pursuer and Dragonrider -> Flexile Sentry, lead to Lost Bastille which is my only option now?

Anyway I've played enough for today, I can only take this game in bite sized pieces :p

Mike M

Nick N
Yeah I explored around everywhere and tackled No Man's Wharf which was easy, and Flexile Sentry was a joke.

So both areas, Last Giant -> Pursuer and Dragonrider -> Flexile Sentry, lead to Lost Bastille which is my only option now?

Anyway I've played enough for today, I can only take this game in bite sized pieces :p
You could also hit Cathedral of Blue, but that's basically just a boss and a covenant.

If you have a Fragrant Branch, you can open the way to Shaded Woods. Presumably you exhausted the dialog with the cleric at the bonfire after Dragonrider, she moves to the rotunda on the way to the Tower of Flame and can open the way to Huntsman's Copse.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
I think Shrine of Amana is my new "This place is total bullshit for melee" place. Specifically designed to screw over melee and induce as much rage as possible. Easily the least enjoyable spot so far.

It started out cool, singing, flora/fauna, died a few times from falling (which i'm not mad about). But then the amount of casters, archdrakes, and hidden water monsters start to stack up and killing them over and over is very tiring.

Greddleok

Oh yeah, that place is easily the nadir of Dark Souls II. I've never had fun in that zone, and end up just running through it - it takes a few tries, but it takes less tries than clearing everything out.

I equipped the ring which causes spells to bounce back on a % chance. It saved my life a couple of times.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Oh yeah, that place is easily the nadir of Dark Souls II. I've never had fun in that zone, and end up just running through it - it takes a few tries, but it takes less tries than clearing everything out.

I equipped the ring which causes spells to bounce back on a % chance. It saved my life a couple of times.

I don't think I have that ring, which one is it?

RiggyRob

So I've found the badass that is Straid, and found that he trades all of the boss weapons, so he must be an important guy. I also tried fighting The Lost Sinner in pitch blackness and I almost got him on the first try, just ran out of Estus - guess I need to explore a bit more to find the key to unlock all the doors next to the fog door.

Is there any point to the Agape Ring? I thought it might be a way of storing souls to be used later but it seems like it literally just takes them away, is it a gimmick item for SL1 builds?

Also, where do you find the ring that gives you more souls?

Mistel

Banned
I think he's referring to Yorgh's Ring.
They're reffering to Yorgh's ring.
Is there any point to the Agape Ring? I thought it might be a way of storing souls to be used later but it seems like it literally just takes them away, is it a gimmick item for SL1 builds?

It's not a gimmick item for SL1 items it's for enabling you to stay within a SM tier. It's easier to get the +1 from Melentia than get the other one from Lost Bastille near the tower apart bonfire.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Nah you have a whole bunch of other options. You can:

- Use a Fragrant Branch of Yore to
dissolve the statue in that off-path between Things Betwixt and Majula and proceed on to Shaded Woods
;
- Drop into that
circular pit in Majula
(you might need the Cat ring, sold by Shalquoir, to survive the fall) and proceed on to either
the Grave of Saints or directly to the Gutter
depending on where you land;
- Talk to Licia (the miracles vendor lady), exhaust her dialogue so she relocates in that
tunnel between Majula and Heide's Tower, pay her 2000 souls and she'll open a new path

Buuuut the Bastille is also a good place to go to, as well, and it's generally what most players do first out of all those 4 paths.

gogosox82

So I've found the badass that is Straid, and found that he trades all of the boss weapons, so he must be an important guy. I also tried fighting The Lost Sinner in pitch blackness and I almost got him on the first try, just ran out of Estus - guess I need to explore a bit more to find the key to unlock all the doors next to the fog door.

Apage is for controlling your SM so you don't have to fight sl 500 havel mages when your sl 150.

Melentia gives the +1 version after you spend a certain amount of souls. I think its 1,000 buy I'm not sure. Just buy a bunch of stuff from her and then talk to her and she'll usually give you the ring.

Novocaine

Got the plat tonight. That makes both Bloodborne and DS2 100% done this month. Ran through with a STR/FTH build for the entire game. Was basically RP'ing the Throne Defender for the most it. I wanted to stay away from UGS's but I caved and picked up the KUGS at the end of NG+. Fuck I love that sword.

Decided to screw around a little once I was done and busted one of the dozen Soul Vessels I had and pumped some points into ADP and ran around powerstancing Zweihander's for a bit. Might finish up NG ++ like that for a bit of fun.

Now I'm in a situation where it's going to be really hard to find a game that will compete on the same level. Always happens when I've done my time with Souls games. I mean am I really supposed to go to Fallout 4 now? Lol.

I guess I could whip out the PS3 and platinum the Souls games over there. But that DS3... ugh.

Mistel

Banned
Apage is for controlling your SM so you don't have to fight sl 500 havel mages when your sl 150.

Melentia gives the +1 version after you spend a certain amount of souls. I think its 1,000 buy I'm not sure. Just buy a bunch of stuff from her and then talk to her and she'll usually give you the ring.
It doesn't really work that seamlessly it's more guaranteeing a minimum base SL than a maximum. It's after 10000 souls spent at her store or just killing her.

mulac

1T1wgisl.jpg

Picked up SOTFS on PS4 at the recent store. Got the Platinum in BB a few months ago and have been pottering with it aswell as giving Dark Souls 1 a shot on my PC.

Really enjoying SOTFS but last night I was trawling through Heides Tower of Flame (just beat the Dragonrider...have yet to attack the Dragon) and I realized that my Sorcerer Build probably isnt the best.

Above you can see my current stats - have been focusing on getting STR/DEX/VGR and END up to decent level and I'm using primarly my base staff aswell as the fire sword - picked up the Drangalaic set (Which i'm wearing) and the Drangalaic Shield is a beast.

My question is what should I do to optimize my build? Fully realise i'm still at the start of the game but want to really get a strong sorcerer going...suggestions? Also is it true i can upgrade my magic staff (ha!) to make spells stronger?

Sofar not seeing all the hate against SOTFS, its no BB naturally but its great sofar and I'm having a blast while we wait for DS3.

All suggestions welcome and appreciated.

Unai

1T1wgisl.jpg

Picked up SOTFS on PS4 at the recent store. Got the Platinum in BB a few months ago and have been pottering with it aswell as giving Dark Souls 1 a shot on my PC.

Really enjoying SOTFS but last night I was trawling through Heides Tower of Flame (just beat the Dragonrider...have yet to attack the Dragon) and I realized that my Sorcerer Build probably isnt the best.

Above you can see my current stats - have been focusing on getting STR/DEX/VGR and END up to decent level and I'm using primarly my base staff aswell as the fire sword - picked up the Drangalaic set (Which i'm wearing) and the Drangalaic Shield is a beast.

My question is what should I do to optimize my build? Fully realise i'm still at the start of the game but want to really get a strong sorcerer going...suggestions? Also is it true i can upgrade my magic staff (ha!) to make spells stronger?

Sofar not seeing all the hate against SOTFS, its no BB naturally but its great sofar and I'm having a blast while we wait for DS3.

Magic scales with int, so you should upgrade that first. How much of an upgrade depends if you want to focus primaly on magic (so get it to 40) or if it is just to use here and there (20 is ok). And you can upgrade your staff. It gets even more powerful if you upgrade ir with magic. I'm on my first playthough as well, 30 hours in and using the basic staff upgraded do +7.

Mistel

Banned
Avoid the fire longsword it does split damage which isn't great if you like it though you can get another from Lenigrast which doesn't have fire infused or you could use the stronger but shorter broadsword. For general play raise your ADP for more I frames to about 100-120 agility and for sorcerer raise your ATT and INT.

Nah you have a whole bunch of other options. You can:

- Use a Fragrant Branch of Yore to
dissolve the statue in that off-path between Things Betwixt and Majula and proceed on to Shaded Woods
;
- Drop into that
circular pit in Majula
(you might need the Cat ring, sold by Shalquoir, to survive the fall) and proceed on to either
the Grave of Saints or directly to the Gutter
depending on where you land;
- Talk to Licia (the miracles vendor lady), exhaust her dialogue so she relocates in that
tunnel between Majula and Heide's Tower, pay her 2000 souls and she'll open a new path

Buuuut the Bastille is also a good place to go to, as well, and it's generally what most players do first out of all those 4 paths.

Thanks so much for that info. I'll get Lost Bastille out of the way first then.

Also I'm still using my Fire Longsword +3, should I ditch that asap, especially seeing that I'll be using large chunks to level it further now?

I'll be going with a melee build but so far I've only been raising my agility (which is at 100 now), and hp.

1T1wgisl.jpg

Huh, Sorcerer use Int and Atn for spells and spell slots, so far your starter staff will help you until you venture into the big pit and go for the loooooooowest area there, which will grand you a key to get the witch staff which is a looooooong path to get it.

Anyway, you need spells asap, try venturing into the Giants forest or go directly to no man warfs to meet the sorcerer vendor, which is located right after Heide's area.

if you can, raise your ATN and INT as much as you can and dont forget to add some points to int, if you need a weapon use the dagger to break barrels and doors but your primary source of damage is your staff

Buraindo

Thanks so much for that info. I'll get Lost Bastille out of the way first then.

Also I'm still using my Fire Longsword +3, should I ditch that asap, especially seeing that I'll be using large chunks to level it further now?

I'll be going with a melee build but so far I've only been raising my agility (which is at 100 now), and hp.

If you don't plan on investing in INT or FTH then yes (and even then it's not exactly great), it's best to replace the fire sword with something that's more appropriate for your build.

37-39 ADP is about as far as you want to go before points are better spent elsewhere.

Follow this unless you're leveling attunement as well, in which case 30 ATN and 30 ADP will bring you to the 110 Agility soft cap.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I've been playing through for the first time the last couple of days and had been taking in all the changes for enemy placement over the vanilla version. Most of the changes were interesting but didn't noticeably impact the experience for me one way or the other.

Until the Earthen Peak.

What in god's name happened here? They just stuffed this fucking place full of those damn headless, poisonous ninjas. I also noticed they removed the two fire casting women in the hall next to the poison jars just before the boss. Kind of a shame, I thought that was a cool encounter.

RiggyRob

Can you use a Bonfire Ascetic to fight a boss you've already killed and get another boss soul? Otherwise I'm really struggling to find out when I'm going to use them.

mulac

Made it to No Mans Wharf (beat the Dragon and Old Rider/Slayer in one go!) - managed to get my INT up to 20 points with all the Souls from those 3 which has supercharged my mage staff +3 so thats good...

Now need to work on my ADP & ATN.

Novocaine

Can you use a Bonfire Ascetic to fight a boss you've already killed and get another boss soul? Otherwise I'm really struggling to find out when I'm going to use them.

Yes dropping an Ascetic at a bonfire refreshes the area and makes that specific area NG+ difficulty. But be aware that if you play NG+ any bonfire you used an Ascetic on will be NG++ and so forth.

Jombie

I've been playing through for the first time the last couple of days and had been taking in all the changes for enemy placement over the vanilla version. Most of the changes were interesting but didn't noticeably impact the experience for me one way or the other.

Until the Earthen Peak.

What in god's name happened here? They just stuffed this fucking place full of those damn headless, poisonous ninjas. I also noticed they removed the two fire casting women in the hall next to the poison jars just before the boss. Kind of a shame, I thought that was a cool encounter.

And they've gotten a buff in Scholar. I don't remember them being able to easily stunlock me to death on 360. Most annoying enemies in the game to me.

If you don't plan on investing in INT or FTH then yes (and even then it's not exactly great), it's best to replace the fire sword with something that's more appropriate for your build.

Thanks, any good weapons lying around early on like the Zweihander in DS1? I used that from early on right through to the platinum trophy :p

Bought this game at Christmas wanting to get into the souls series and have finally started to get the hang of it all and really enjoying myself even with the many deaths.

Summoned two people in Heide's tower of flame to see what it was like having a multiplayer boss fight, before we even got in the first guy aggroed a white knight and proceeded to fall off the edge right away, second then got instantly killed by the knight while i then had to proceeded to fight the boss on my own, good times.

RiggyRob

Follow this unless you're leveling attunement as well, in which case 30 ATN and 30 ADP will bring you to the 110 Agility soft cap.

What's a good magic/elemental weapon replacement for the Fire Longsword? I've upgraded it to +7 but I do fancy something meatier, hearing the crash of the Pursuer's Greatsword with every attack is very satisfying.

Yes dropping an Ascetic at a bonfire refreshes the area and makes that specific area NG+ difficulty. But be aware that if you play NG+ any bonfire you used an Ascetic on will be NG++ and so forth.

That isn't ideal I guess, but if there's no other way of getting more boss souls without moving onto NG+ and so on I might do it anyway since otherwise the Bonfire Ascetics are literally worthless to me.

Unai

What's a good magic/elemental weapon replacement for the Fire Longsword? I've upgraded it to +7 but I do fancy something meatier, hearing the crash of the Pursuer's Greatsword with every attack is very satisfying.

Yeah, I'm also trying to find my sorcerer another good melee weapon that's not very heavy. For now I'm using the Fire Longsword and the Magic Mace. I have the Moonlight Greatsword (loved this weapon in the first game) but I don't know if the investment is worth it.

Mistel

Banned
Thanks, any good weapons lying around early on like the Zweihander in DS1? I used that from early on right through to the platinum trophy :p
Drangleic sword and Heide sword for the early game not really anything too decent till mid early game and you've got more areas opened up.
Yeah, I'm also trying to find my sorcerer another good melee weapon that's not very heavy. For now I'm using the Fire Longsword and the Magic Mace. I have the Moonlight Greatsword (loved this weapon in the first game) but I don't know if the investment is worth it.
You've got the blue moon greatsword not the moonlight one unless you've already beaten a NG+ boss and got the soul from that.

Buraindo

There's the Greatsword in No Man's Wharf, heavy, but one of the strongest of its class. You should also be able to get the Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword by now, but that one has fairly high STR/DEX requirements.

Are you looking for another fire weapon specifically? Either way, you could try an infused Zweihander, Black Knight weapons (Fire) Crypt Blacksword (Dark) or the Smelter Sword (Fire). There are also some greatswords like the Drakeblood Greatsword (a billion elements). Infused Claymore, Watcher/Defender Greatswords (Magic/Lightning), Thorned Greatsword (Lightning) and the Moonlight Greatsword (Magic). Probably missed a few other good ones.

I suspect Soul Memory has completely fucked me from getting Hidden Weapon and Sunlight Spear. There isn't going to be anybody going in to Sol/Luna at tiers 35-39 are there.

Is it true that you can get the spells on different characters and it counts?

Mistel

Banned
There are also some greatswords like the Drakeblood Greatsword (a billion elements).
Why that?
I suspect Soul Memory has completely fucked me from getting Hidden Weapon and Sunlight Spear. There isn't going to be anybody going in to Sol/Luna at tiers 35-39 are there.

Is it true that you can get the spells on different characters and it counts?
There might be in those tiers, for sunlight spear you can farm the sunlight medals of the falconer's and for hidden weapon kill the mad warrior as much as you need to.

Top Bottom