• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Unai

Drangleic sword and Heide sword for the early game not really anything too decent till mid early game and you've got more areas opened up.

You've got the blue moon greatsword not the moonlight one unless you've already beaten a NG+ boss and got the soul from that.

Oh, shit!

Mistel

Banned
Oh, shit!
Go talk to the Maughlin he'll tell you it's a fake an not the real thing, it's actually a decent greatsword if you make it raw then its got high AR with minimum investment.
???
It's an elemental weapon, can potentially deal all types of damage at once with infusion and enchantment.
You do know how awful it is right? It does large amounts of split damage and is more of a novelty than anything else, the low stamina consumption is good but that's all its got going for it.

Buraindo

Go talk to the Maughlin he'll tell you it's a fake an not the real thing, it's actually a decent greatsword if you make it raw then its got high AR with minimum investment.

You do know how awful it is right? It does large amounts of split damage and is more of a novelty than anything else, the low stamina consumption is good but that's all its got going for it.

Was pretty good for me for both PvE and PvP. Only issue I have with it is reach, but it has a thrust attack.

Unai

I split damage really that awful outside of bosses who are resistant to everything?

It's the same problem that split damage did in Dark Souls 1. Imagine this:

Weapon A, 400 damage total.
- 200 physical damage;
- 200 fire damage;

If the enemy has 50 against physical and 80 against fire, you'll do 150 + 120 = 270.

Weapon B, 350 damage, physical only. Against the same enemy above it will cause 300!

I made up all these numbers, but the logic behind it it's something like that.

Mistel

Banned
I split damage really that awful outside of bosses who are resistant to everything?
It is there's multiple defences that it has to go through as it's split between different types each applies its own reduction to the damage (plus the resistance to the attack type). Plus there's large fluctuations within the normal enemy resistances tier excluding dlc enemies, razorbacks, and crystal lizards which are a lot different.

RiggyRob

Yeah, I'm also trying to find my sorcerer another good melee weapon that's not very heavy. For now I'm using the Fire Longsword and the Magic Mace. I have the Moonlight Greatsword (loved this weapon in the first game) but I don't know if the investment is worth it.

Just found the Magic Mace, I might give it a try.

There's the Greatsword in No Man's Wharf, heavy, but one of the strongest of its class. You should also be able to get the Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword by now, but that one has fairly high STR/DEX requirements.

Are you looking for another fire weapon specifically? Either way, you could try an infused Zweihander, Black Knight weapons (Fire) Crypt Blacksword (Dark) or the Smelter Sword (Fire). There are also some greatswords like the Drakeblood Greatsword (a billion elements). Infused Claymore, Watcher/Defender Greatswords (Magic/Lightning), Thorned Greatsword (Lightning) and the Moonlight Greatsword (Magic). Probably missed a few other good ones.

Not fire specifically, but it does give a nice effect after every attack.

After fighting Forlorn who was nigh untouchable with his greatsword, I'm leaning towards a greatsword enchanted with something, but I'm not sure what yet. If split damage is so bad, I guess I should infuse something so it does only magic/fire/lightning/dark damage.

Also, I had no idea Fiora was in this game! It's kinda fun matching all of the voice actors to the characters, Targray is definitely Alfred from Bloodborne, right?

Mistel

Banned
After fighting Forlorn who was nigh untouchable with his greatsword, I'm leaning towards a greatsword enchanted with something, but I'm not sure what yet. If split damage is so bad, I guess I should infuse something so it does only magic/fire/lightning/dark damage.

Also, I had no idea Fiora was in this game! It's kinda fun matching all of the voice actors to the characters, Targray is definitely Alfred from Bloodborne, right?
Solaire, Targray, and Alfred are all voiced by the same person. It depends on what your stats are as to what to infuse it with, plus you might want to try some of the larger ones like the Mastodon Greatsword or go to the Zwei in the ultras class.

There might be in those tiers, for sunlight spear you can farm the sunlight medals of the falconer's and for hidden weapon kill the mad warrior as much as you need to.

Alright cool. Mad Warrior farming is particularly advantageous because I get his badass set. Actually getting a good few matches in Belfry Sol, must be others farming in the late game.

So the Loyce Greatsword is pretty cool and I'm forcing myself to use it after what I went through to get it but I heard it's bad for infusions? I can't go back to not being able to use miracles or magic so what's a good high level build for this sword? Just keep leveling dex, don't infuse and level int/faith for magic or miracles?

Mistel

Banned
So the Loyce Greatsword is pretty cool and I'm forcing myself to use it after what I went through to get it but I heard it's bad for infusions? I can't go back to not being able to use miracles or magic so what's a good high level build for this sword? Just keep leveling dex, don't infuse and level int/faith for magic or miracles?
That's pretty much what you have to do, it loses a lot of scaling when infused so don't infuse it although it's weaker than the Drangleic sword.

That's pretty much what you have to do, it loses a lot of scaling when infused so don't infuse it although it's weaker than the Drangleic sword.

Thanks. Man that sucks though. The moveset is soo good. How's the butchers knife with infusions? Honestly, the starting weapons like the axe and longsword seem better than a lot of the late game weapons but I feel guilty for not trying them out.

Just went back to Heide's Tower and the small white knight guys are awake and walking around now, what caused that?

And they're a pain in the ass to fight, especially when they're around the other big knights.

Defeating the Dragonrider.

Huh, could have sworn I'd been here since then, guess not.

Died, against Old Dragonslayer, so killed the enemies around the bonfire until I could buy 20 lifegems, and now the first 3 big knights aren't respawning.
Let's go for round 2 now.

2AdEPT

Thanks, any good weapons lying around early on like the Zweihander in DS1? I used that from early on right through to the platinum trophy :p

There are a couple early game weapons that are easy access, but my favourite is not the one that is easiest to find (simply scrutinize majula) but a reward for beating an early but tough enemy. I normally take the explorer and beat the enemy with the dagger and use that weapon for the early game no matter what my build. My original character for ds2 used that weapon for 2/3 of the game....there is an insane amount of weapoms to choose form the last 1/3 of the game so why use only one? Nothwithstanding, the weapon I speak of is viable the whiole game, as are most weapons.

Mike M

Nick N
Finished up what I guess you might call the Nameless Usurper sidequest. Kind of a worse-in-every-way version of the Lautrec sidequest from DS1, though I appreciate that the identity of the villain was genuinely surprising. I just took them to be a huckster at first...

But yeah, the invasion of their world was pretty lame. Small arena, just one on one, victory was a matter of walking up to them and poking them with a rapier every time they started any sort of windup animation. Lautrec and his posse at least made you sweat a little.

Is there going to be a difficulty spike regarding bosses? I had 4 easy ones now where bloodborne would have already presented me the Vicar and BSB.

Crown of the Sunken King is fucking shit.

Shit area gimmick.

Shit hyper-poise enemies, that can't be broken with a Stone Ring and 1H Greatsword which is ridiculous.

Shit invisible enemies you can't hurt. Not even any sort of Transient Curse to sort that out.

Shit layout.

Easily the worst part of the game.

Mistel

Banned
Thanks. Man that sucks though. The moveset is soo good. How's the butchers knife with infusions? Honestly, the starting weapons like the axe and longsword seem better than a lot of the late game weapons but I feel guilty for not trying them out.
Quite good actually retains B STR scaling and B in what ever you infuse it with and is a pretty good choice for an STR based build with a bit on the side.
Is there going to be a difficulty spike regarding bosses? I had 4 easy ones now where bloodborne would have already presented me the Vicar and BSB.
There is but you've probably not go to them quite yet 4 is quite early on.

Manu

Shit area gimmick.

Shit hyper-poise enemies, that can't be broken with a Stone Ring and 1H Greatsword which is ridiculous.

Shit invisible enemies you can't hurt. Not even any sort of Transient Curse to sort that out.

Shit layout.

Easily the worst part of the game.

-The moving pillars are great.

-I never had a problem with that.

-The invisible enemies become much weaker when you destroy their physical bodies. Not the game's fault you didn't notice.

-The level design in Shulva is much better than anything in the base game

Buraindo

Not for a while still no.

True, their poise is ridiculous but you can easily roll behind them and backstab when they attack.

As for the "ghost" enemies, you can make them vulnerable by
destroying the glowing armour stands. They have a faint reddish glow about them. The first two "ghosts" you see are standing right in front of their respective armours, the others you'll find a bit later. Just run past them until you do.

The
elevator shortcut
sealed the deal. Ivory King's got some really nice moments like that as well.

-The moving pillars are great.

-I never had a problem with that.

-The invisible enemies become much weaker when you destroy their physical bodies. Not the game's fault you didn't notice.

-Well whatever I guess you're a fan of gimmicky shit.

-Good for you.

-I did notice, I'm not an idiot. Getting past five of them to smash their bodies, not much fun.

-Refer to the first answer.

True, their poise is ridiculous but you can easily roll behind them and backstab when they attack.

Not so much when there's four of them shooting arrows at you.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Wut. I had problems with my dual whip user at first, then I used the stone ring and I was fine.

2h your greatsword?

-Well whatever I guess you're a fan of gimmicky shit.
Is this really necessary? People enjoy interacting with the environment to traverse a level, sorta Zelda-style. It's not a "gimmick" and it's not "shit" even if you aren't a fan.

Um...
-I did notice, I'm not an idiot.
The part "not even a transient curse" suggested that you were baffled, but I guess not. I thought it was a neat feature that added some tension.

Wut. I had problems with my dual whip user at first, then I used the stone ring and I was fine.

2h your greatsword?

Is this really necessary? People enjoy interacting with the environment to traverse a level, sorta Zelda-style. It's not a "gimmick" and it's not "shit" even if you aren't a fan.

Um...

The part "not even a transient curse" suggested that you were baffled, but I guess not. I thought it was a neat feature that added some tension.

I don't even care about Shulva anymore because I've got all the interesting loot and killed gimmick Nashandra, gimmick trio and poison Kalameet but:

-You can't shield four enemies with a greatsword.

-On the contrary, it's a gimmick. Whether you like them or not is not for me to decide but it's as much as a gimmick as something like the Frigid Outskirts, and at least that only lasted 10 minutes.

-Having five ghosts tail you like the Benny Hill Show is not tense, it's irritating. At the very least, getting rid of them for 15 seconds would've made the situation a little less tedious.

Am I missing something in the Tower Apart side of Lost Bastille?

One path led me to a chest with a ring and some other items that I was a bit too... preoccupied to notice what they were, and the other path got me a key and to the NPC from No Man's Wharf, then further on to a locked door, a grate with a switch on the other side, and a door blocked by a petrified person.

So it seems like I'm supposed to go from the Holding Cells side and progress from there?

Mike M

Nick N
Am I missing something in the Tower Apart side of Lost Bastille?

One path led me to a chest with a ring and some other items that I was a bit too... preoccupied to notice what they were, and the other path got me a key and to the NPC from No Man's Wharf, then further on to a locked door, a grate with a switch on the other side, and a door blocked by a petrified person.

So it seems like I'm supposed to go from the Holding Cells side and progress from there?
Holding Cells side just gets you to the other side of the gate and connects the two areas. You need to unpetrify the hollow blocking the door to proceed.

Also, might want to see what happens when you kick the barrel at the top of the stairs at the wall at the bottom.

Holding Cells side just gets you to the other side of the gate and connects the two areas. You need to unpetrify the hollow blocking the door to proceed.

Also, might want to see what happens when you kick the barrel at the top of the stairs at the wall at the bottom.

Cheers.

And yeah I've now opened that grate to connect them.

Further on I found a bonfire blocked by a petrified dude (just after the cage elevator and up the stairs), is this near a boss fight and worth using a branch on because I've only found the one so far and don't want to waste it. It's not like the enemies on the way here were tough.

Edit: Kept going and Sinner's Rise and another bonfire were around the corner, seems like a strange place to put that last bonfire, and a waste of a branch use.

So if I use my branch back at that first petrified guy I found near the Tower Apart bonfire it eventually leads on to the Lost Bastille boss? Guess I'll go back and do that before tackling Sinner's Rise then.

I don't even care about Shulva anymore because I've got all the interesting loot and killed gimmick Nashandra, gimmick trio and poison Kalameet but:

-You can't shield four enemies with a greatsword.

-On the contrary, it's a gimmick. Whether you like them or not is not for me to decide but it's as much as a gimmick as something like the Frigid Outskirts, and at least that only lasted 10 minutes.

-Having five ghosts tail you like the Benny Hill Show is not tense, it's irritating. At the very least, getting rid of them for 15 seconds would've made the situation a little less tedious.

Posion Kalmeet is a thousand times cooler, then actualy Kalmeet. The Dragon fricken fights you with a massive stone spear impaled in his stomach, and has the coolest dragon name ever! "Sihn, the Slumbering Dragon"

Mike M

Nick N
Cheers.

And yeah I've now opened that grate to connect them.

Further on I found a bonfire blocked by a petrified dude (just after the cage elevator and up the stairs), is this near a boss fight and worth using a branch on because I've only found the one so far and don't want to waste it. It's not like the enemies on the way here were tough.

Edit: Kept going and Sinner's Rise and another bonfire were around the corner, seems like a strange place to put that last bonfire, and a waste of a branch use.

So if I use my branch back at that first petrified guy I found near the Tower Apart bonfire it eventually leads on to the Lost Bastille boss? Guess I'll go back and do that before tackling Sinner's Rise then.

The petrified guy blocking the bonfire is blocking a vendor too.

Yeah not a waste, you will more than likely be visiting him a handful of times throughout your play through.

He won't talk to me because my INT is level 1.

Waste! :p

Edit: Ruin Sentinels, Belfry Gargoyles and Lost Sinner beaten today, I think that's good progress. Work all day tomorrow so I shall do Huntsman's Copse Sunday afternoon.

RiggyRob

He won't talk to me because my INT is level 1.

Waste! :p

Edit: Ruin Sentinels, Belfry Gargoyles and Lost Sinner beaten today, I think that's good progress. Work all day tomorrow so I shall do Huntsman's Copse Sunday afternoon.

He's the best kind of vendor too, so I'd raise INT ASAP.

Majula's positively thriving now with all the NPCs moving to there, although it's a bit weird that I've now seen two NPCs that were petrified (Straid and Rosabeth). Straid I can see why someone would want to petrify (Straid's robes 4lyfe), but Rosabeth? I don't get it.

Also, what on earth was the point of the coffin behind the petrified guy in Things Betwixt? Is changing gender really all it does?

Ferr986

Also, what on earth was the point of the coffin behind the petrified guy in Things Betwixt? Is changing gender really all it does?

Yep, it's only for changing gender.

I remember being scared before starting the DLC because everyone said enemies there had godlike poise but I always stun them with no problem without any ring (tbh I always used more OP weapons like infused Twinblade Dragonrider or Chaos Blade).

Novocaine

He's the best kind of vendor too, so I'd raise INT ASAP.

Majula's positively thriving now with all the NPCs moving to there, although it's a bit weird that I've now seen two NPCs that were petrified (Straid and Rosabeth). Straid I can see why someone would want to petrify (Straid's robes 4lyfe), but Rosabeth? I don't get it.

Don't think Rosabeth was petrified by a person.
Guessing it was one of those lizard things

There's a basilisk right there after you pull the lever, guys...

And under the Dark Souls II Scholar page, you don't see a "Buy" and a bit below an "Upgrade" button for cheaper?

Might have been my imagination but wasn't there a price for having the game and another for having the game plus the season pass?

RiggyRob

What's the armour/weapon set Masterless Glencour uses? His greatsword came in very handy against the Belfry Gargoyles.

I see the Greatsword has the best range but it looks ugly compared to the Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword, and I think the moveset might be slightly different too.

Buraindo

What's the armour/weapon set Masterless Glencour uses? His greatsword came in very handy against the Belfry Gargoyles.

I see the Greatsword has the best range but it looks ugly compared to the Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword, and I think the moveset might be slightly different too.

Masterless Glencour wears a Heide Knight Chainmail, Hollow Soldier Helm and Royal Swordsman gloves and leggings. He wields a zweihander and a Varangian shield.

The Greatsword's one handed moveset goes for horizontal slashes rather than vertical then horizontal like the Pursuer's. Two handed moveset is identical.

After a very long hiatus from the game, finally got into SotFS that I picked up on the Steam Sale. WOW, this game still holds up great, it was very easy to lose 60+ hours into it so far just trying different builds and exploring everything to find my way into the DLC.

On the first DLC, Crown of the Sunken King now, really good stuff. The feeling when I opened that first real shortcut that led back from the lake at the bottom to the first bonfire in Shulva... shades of chapel/firelink there for me.

That queen boss though, so tough! And no one else seems to be really playing in this area to summon, I have only the one NPC and she dies quickly. I guess it doesn't help that even though this is probably my favorite franchise I'm terrible at it... I rarely die but that's not because I'm good, it's because I go super-slow and I cheese everything possible, and do maximum summons for every boss. It makes this boss (who summons help herself) real tough!

Any hints for this boss? (and one of her summons being Velstadt...!)

After a very long hiatus from the game, finally got into SotFS that I picked up on the Steam Sale. WOW, this game still holds up great, it was very easy to lose 60+ hours into it so far just trying different builds and exploring everything to find my way into the DLC.

On the first DLC, Crown of the Sunken King now, really good stuff. The feeling when I opened that first real shortcut that led back from the lake at the bottom to the first bonfire in Shulva... shades of chapel/firelink there for me.

That queen boss though, so tough! And no one else seems to be really playing in this area to summon, I have only the one NPC and she dies quickly. I guess it doesn't help that even though this is probably my favorite franchise I'm terrible at it... I rarely die but that's not because I'm good, it's because I go super-slow and I cheese everything possible, and do maximum summons for every boss. It makes this boss (who summons help herself) real tough!

Any hints for this boss? (and one of her summons being Velstadt...!)

I would be glad to help you if you like. But she is very resistant to most magic. Melee hit and run best option imo

Top Bottom