• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Defyler

Anyone have some useful advice for a solid pve build? Looking to possibly do GS or UGS.

Have completed the game about 70% through as a robflynn leo rapier build. It's cake but certainly a bit boring with the constant poke.

Starting a new character specifically for the purpose of jolly cooperation with two other friends. Given physical damage is purportedly king in the dlc's I've pretty much nixed anything but a physical build.

In DS 1, primarily used the claymore and great scythe.

Just looking for something fun and to shake up the Dex build I have been playing.

Mike M

Nick N
For PvE, STR seems to be more advantageous than DEX this time around. Strike-type weapons in particular are good, as the many many many armored enemies are vulnerable to it, and I don't think there's much that's resistant.

GulAtiCa

Belfry Luna sucks for Bell Bros. There's that Masterless NPC they can summon under the stairway. He'll wreck ya. Belfry Sol is good. There's an NPC there but most people miss it. It's kinda hidden.

Thanks for the tip. Glad to see your still active in this thread. :)

It's kinda fun going through the game again with all my knowledge of where enemies are being completely different. Almost like going through blind.

Tarkus

Thanks for the tip. Glad to see your still active in this thread. :)

It's kinda fun going through the game again with all my knowledge of where enemies are being completely different. Almost like going through blind.
Thanks! Yeah, I'm a junkie: Over 1000 hours of DS2 across two systems. :-/

I love the remaster. Prob my favorite Soulsborne game. I just started BB so that might change. The new placements of items, enemies, and whatnot make it feel like a completely new game. It's much more fair now I think, especially with upgrade materials.

Going back to darks souls 1, it's pretty amazing how different everything looks. Everything is so glossy whereas dark souls 2 looks so flat. Is this on the same engine? I know there was development issues but it's crazy how much worse dark souls 2 looks, especially character models.

Is there a suggested soul memory for the dlc areas? Or is it a waste of time trying to get help at this point? I'm on xbone and I'm having a tough time with a few bosses. My soul memory is around 1,800,000.

Also is there any chance of me getting the sun sword, or should I let that dream go?

Tarkus

Is there a suggested soul memory for the dlc areas? Or is it a waste of time trying to get help at this point? I'm on xbone and I'm having a tough time with a few bosses. My soul memory is around 1,800,000.

Also is there any chance of me getting the sun sword, or should I let that dream go?
That SM sounds about right.

King's Gate bonfire should be very active.

GulAtiCa

Beat the Lost Sinner boss yesterday. Then used a bonfire ascetic on that area so I can get the Old Witch Soul so I can then Flame Weapon. Will try to do that sometime this weekend.

Quikies83

I'd be glad to help you. I'm always looking for xboners to PvE with. I have a few toons around your soul memory. I'll be on tonight around 5 cst.
Add me: Quikies83

I just started playing this for the first time since the I trial Dark Souls 2 release. I kind wanted to give some sort of spell casting build a go, but looking around I got the impression the DLC areas make that problematic since the enemies have resistances to all spell types. Is that actually the case? Do those DLC areas scale at all? If so to what soul level or soul memory?

RiggyRob

Episode 4, myself vs. Royal Rat Vanguard: https://youtu.be/ERVMqHedVik

I can't tell if it's cool that FROM have very thematically similar fights (Royal Rat Vanguard vs. Celestial Emissary vs. probably some other boss fights in Dark Souls and Demon Souls), or if it's actually just boring i.e. go kill all of the additional enemies to try and find the right one. Bloodborne did it better with the Celestial Emissary transforming, but it was still a chump really.

Also, I burnt the Bonfire Ascetic in Brightstone Cove, and it was barely worth it, those spiders are a fucking pain in the arse at that bonfire. I haven't tested out the Crystal Soul Spear on a boss yet (and I haven't upgraded the Staff of Wisdom to +5 and infused it with magic yet), but I realised something - I should've kept the Old Paledrake Soul for the Moonlight Greatsword, shouldn't I?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Well, you said you wanted a spell nuke on a str/int build, not a magic weapon... The Moonlight Greatsword scales purely with int and does strictly magic damage. It's a great weapon on a pure int build, but it didn't seem like it was what you were going for. If you want it you could always just burn another ascetic.

As for the spiders, use the torch and they are suddenly harmless. ;)

RiggyRob

Well, you said you wanted a spell nuke on a str/int build, not a magic weapon... The Moonlight Greatsword scales purely with int and does strictly magic damage. It's a great weapon on a pure int build, but it didn't seem like it was what you were going for. If you want it you could always just burn another ascetic.

As for the spiders, use the torch and they are suddenly harmless. ;)

Oh I did, and thanks for telling me, I just didn't realise the way to get the Moonlight Greatsword is only through the Old Paledrake Soul, which you can only get from Freja.

I was just angry because I banged my head against Freja using a Zweihander+10 for probably 8 times, when I switched back to the Fire Longsword+10 I got her in one go.

Are you shitting me with the torch making them not attack you? Does that work even in the boss fight?

Tarkus

Oh I did, and thanks for telling me, I just didn't realise the way to get the Moonlight Greatsword is only through the Old Paledrake Soul, which you can only get from Freja.

I was just angry because I banged my head against Freja using a Zweihander+10 for probably 8 times, when I switched back to the Fire Longsword+10 I got her in one go.it

Are you shitting me with the torch making them not attack you? Does that work even in the boss fight?
You didn't notice the docile spiders in the torch-lit rooms in Brightstone while others in darker rooms are aggressive?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yep, I think works in the boss room too, though I still kill those spiders as well.

But if you are playing online you should have seen tons of messages about torches. I didn't need them, because I saw a sconce in the level and my OCD means I must light it (hey it looks prettier too :D), and so I noticed the torch effect on the spiders immediately, but yeah, lots of "try torch" messages around.

Tarkus

I believe one of the first rooms has spiders everywhere but they don't move because it has several lit sconces. Dat FromSoft clue.

RiggyRob

Yep, I think works in the boss room too, though I still kill those spiders as well.

But if you are playing online you should have seen tons of messages about torches. I didn't need them, because I saw a sconce in the level and my OCD means I must light it (hey it looks prettier too :D), and so I noticed the torch effect on the spiders immediately, but yeah, lots of "try torch" messages around.

I believe one of the first rooms has spiders everywhere but they don't move because it has several lit sconces. Dat FromSoft clue.

I'm not playing online, but in that case, I guess there's not really a downside to using a second Bonfire Ascetic on Freja then - you can still summon Boyd for the fight, and Freja shouldn't be that difficult (when you're not cocking it up like I am).

Yeah! DLC finally done (I think)! First cat boss, Burnt Ivory king, and the double cat optional boss are done and I have all 3 crowns. Have not played the game in a while and it still held up great, I lost more than 100 hours into it and enjoyed it all. It makes me feel I should go back to Dark Souls 1 since I own the DLC for that one and never got around to playing it. But... Witcher 3 and Dragons Dogma are still waiting in my queue ;)

Those horse enemies on the way to the two cats were pretty aggravating, but I infused a Mastadon shield with lightning and with 100% lightning protection they are not too bad.

The twin cats I was surprised when I beat them... I had done so many smooth runs up to the fog door only to be quickly killed by the boss. Then the time I beat them the run to the fog door was brutal, all of the NPC's got stuck and we got into this huge cycle of just before the boss getting stuck in the storm, having 2 horses spawn, and taking so long to kill them that by the time we were done two more horses spawned... yet after we finally pushed through that, this was the time we killed the boss!

The first few times I thought it would be a good idea to use the fire clutch ring with a fire weapon, but it lowers my physical defence so much I was getting 1 shot by some of the attacks even at full health.

It makes me wonder about items like that and weapon upgrades... I guess they are useful for the boss fights in some cases. But in general, the weapon upgrades never seemed super effective to me in Dark Souls except in the beginning. When your +2 weapon kills an enemy in 3 hits, it seems pointless when your +10 weapon also takes 3 hits to kill them. It matters really little that on hit #3 the enemy had 2% health left instead of 30%, they are just as dangerous to you. At the start a +5 weapon takes down hollows in 2 hits instead of 3, and that's a noticeable difference in the difficulty. Later, especially in the DLC, it seems not to matter... +5 or +10 weapon, it's still 3-4 hits to down a soldier.

Now that I'm "done" I'm going to restart NG with the goal of finally learning how to dodge/roll. I make a half-hearted attempt each time I play a souls game, but inevitably end up pumping up stamina and leaning on my 100% Greatshield crutch pretty much exclusively. Time to learn how to do it right!

_h8bit

Banned
Last two times I've played this game on the weekend I keep getting disconnected from multiplayer sessions. Are the servers that bad? Is it happening to anyone else?

Mistel

Banned
I'm not playing online, but in that case, I guess there's not really a downside to using a second Bonfire Ascetic on Freja then - you can still summon Boyd for the fight, and Freja shouldn't be that difficult (when you're not cocking it up like I am).
Freja really isn't too difficult at that level at all although you might want to hold of on Boyd for a couple attempts whilst one of the better summons he does tend to struggle on the higher difficulties.

I feel embarrassed not because of my failure, but to be "that guy" who comes into this topic and asks what he's doing wrong.. because really, I need help.

So I did a lot of things in the Betwixt area, because I prepared well for the game. Did a lot of stuff in Majula, including expanding my Estus Flask and joining the covenant of the guy on top of the stairs. I accidentally joined the covenant behind the cat's store - apparently that puts the game in some kind of hard mode, I hope that's not permanent, and that everything is back to normal now that I've joined the other covenant. Can someone clarify this for me?

I went sorcerer, dagger in left, soul gem blaster staff in right. I went to Heide's Tower right away, because I couldn't find another place to go so I thought that must be the first real level. In Heide's, I breeze through the first monster, the second as well with the big mace, the third is easy because he glitches on the stairs. After that, the big dude after pulling the lever is really tricky because I lure him out and I keep falling off the ledges. I waste a lot of soul gems on this guy, like 7/8 at least, so I can put him down but I hate that I lose so many gems. Then two guys come at me at which I just spam soul gems. After this I once got ambushed by taking left, and I never managed to beat the mace guy on the right because I simply run out of ideas at this point.

Apparently there's a Dragonrider boss after the mace guy with the chest that's protected by the knight that's sitting next to it. I just can't fathom that I have to face a boss after beating all those enemies and basically being exhausted and depleted of everything. My dagger does 25 damage with a quick attack, my staff does 50 with a strong attack. I can't waste soul gems, I only have 30. Is this what I have to put up with in this level? I feel like I skipped a bunch of areas and got straight into a place I shouldn't be yet.

Must I farm souls and go back to the lady in Majula to level up? Is this feasible? And can anyone point me to a Sorcerer build so I don't waste level ups? I watched a lot of YouTube videos on starting out but most of it is self explanatory, they don't give me an idea on how to actually progress through the game.

Hypron

I'd recommend to turn back for now and take the other path leaving Majula. The normal enemies are easier there so it's better to start off. Also note that you don't always need to kill every enemy - you can often run/roll past them after having unlocked the way to a boss.

I feel embarrassed not because of my failure, but to be "that guy" who comes into this topic and asks what he's doing wrong.. because really, I need help.

So I did a lot of things in the Betwixt area, because I prepared well for the game. Did a lot of stuff in Majula, including expanding my Estus Flask and joining the covenant of the guy on top of the stairs. I accidentally joined the covenant behind the cat's store - apparently that puts the game in some kind of hard mode, I hope that's not permanent, and that everything is back to normal now that I've joined the other covenant. Can someone clarify this for me?

I went sorcerer, dagger in left, soul gem blaster staff in right. I went to Heide's Tower right away, because I couldn't find another place to go so I thought that must be the first real level. In Heide's, I breeze through the first monster, the second as well with the big mace, the third is easy because he glitches on the stairs. After that, the big dude after pulling the lever is really tricky because I lure him out and I keep falling off the ledges. I waste a lot of soul gems on this guy, like 7/8 at least, so I can put him down but I hate that I lose so many gems. Then two guys come at me at which I just spam soul gems. After this I once got ambushed by taking left, and I never managed to beat the mace guy on the right because I simply run out of ideas at this point.

Apparently there's a Dragonrider boss after the mace guy with the chest that's protected by the knight that's sitting next to it. I just can't fathom that I have to face a boss after beating all those enemies and basically being exhausted and depleted of everything. My dagger does 25 damage with a quick attack, my staff does 50 with a strong attack. I can't waste soul gems, I only have 30. Is this what I have to put up with in this level? I feel like I skipped a bunch of areas and got straight into a place I shouldn't be yet.

Must I farm souls and go back to the lady in Majula to level up? Is this feasible? And can anyone point me to a Sorcerer build so I don't waste level ups? I watched a lot of YouTube videos on starting out but most of it is self explanatory, they don't give me an idea on how to actually progress through the game.

There's another path to take in Majula. It's to the left of the bonfire if you're facing toward the buildings, or to the right if you're facing towards the sea. It's basically a path that goes down next to the path that leads up heading back to Things Betwixt.

You could run past the enemies in Heide's Tower and go straight to Dragonrider, because you could probably beat him now, but the next area you head to will probably be quite difficult for you at this point.

Don't worry about the covenant though. As long as you've either joined a new one or talked to the cat and abandoned it you're OK.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest you may be new to the series ;) I love playing sorcerer, but the low level play at the start is pretty demanding. You really get powerful later on, but if you find it too painful don't worry about switching away to something else. There are not really "classes" in this game (I know it looks like there are during creation). That's really just the stat allocation and starting gear you begin with. There is nothing stopping you from starting a warrior, and then dumping points into Int so you can cast spells. You may find it easier to start with a warrior, get the Fire Longsword in the first area after Majula, and then put points into Int or Faith later. Plus there are multiple respec items in the game (Soul Vessels). You take one back to the 3 old ladies in Things Betwixt and you can respec.

If you want to start with Heides Tower of Flame it is totally doable, but the best class to start with in that case is Cleric, the starting mace will wreck those big guys in 3, sometimes 4 hits. Plus, you get a heal spell with 3 charges on top of the Estus and Lifegems.

For the 2-on-1 fight after the Old Knight with the 2H Greatsword, the easy strat is to run away. Don't lock on, as soon as the 2H Knight goes down, turn around and sprint basically back to the start. At some point you will hit the Knights "leash" and they will turn around and go back to where they came from. Now is the time to hit one of them with your spells. He will come back to fight you, while his buddy keeps going home. This makes it loads easier to do that part of the level.

The boss will probably be difficult as a new player who is a sorcerer... you won't have a good shield to block his attacks, so you will have to dodge them by rolling. Which absolutely works (and most people would consider this much better than blocking) but as a new player it can be hard to get the hang of. If you can, be human when you get in front of the fog gate (or use an Effigy when you are there) because there is an NPC you can summon for help. Other players may be there as well, though they usually drop their signs near the bonfire at the start. You can always summon them for help on the normal enemies to.

Speaking of shields, it is well worth your time to put your first few level ups into strength, you probably want to have at least 7. If you killed everything in the tutorial area, and maybe even a few Old Knights (and didn't lose your souls), then that should be enough to get to 6-7 strength. At 6 strength you can use the Crimson Parma shield that you can find in a chest in the tunnel between Majula and Heides Tower (there isn't even any enemies guarding it), this is a great little shield to get through Forest of Fallen Giants. With 7 strength near the end of the Forest zone, you will find a Large Leather Shield, probably the best one a sorcerer is going to have at the start with such low strength.

Now all that being said, Forest of Fallen Giants is probably way easier to start in as a sorcerer. It will be (mostly) humanoid enemies who you can kill easily with your dagger. It's also where you will get a decent amount of upgrade materials and other ways to progress your character beyond just the level. It's also the place where you get the item that let's you be summoned to help other players, a great way to practice bosses and get extra souls.

(BTW - If you did that Heides Tower work as a newbie sorcerer in Covenant of Champions, that's pretty good... it basically disables all multiplayer so you can't have any help, and puts the game in NG+ mode. It can be a good time, but I'd recommended ditching it the first time through the game).

Thanks a lot guys. It was stupid to completely miss the Forest of the Fallen Giants. I just learned how to get the Fire Longsword in that area as well. I already regret being wasteful in Heide's Tower so I might start over since I'm still early in the game. I am indeed new to the series, but I don't want to give up yet.

Mistel

Banned
Thanks a lot guys. It was stupid to completely miss the Forest of the Fallen Giants. I just learned how to get the Fire Longsword in that area as well. I already regret being wasteful in Heide's Tower so I might start over since I'm still early in the game. I am indeed new to the series, but I don't want to give up yet.
You don't want to rely on the fire Longsword there's better options available even though it appears it has high damage.

So is there anything such as a goal I should set to myself during the beginning? Even now I'm mostly wandering around the Forest of Fallen Soldiers.. I absolutely adore the style of the game and the way the narrative is implied and submerged within the world, but I do truly feel lost at the moment.. I had an idea of farming souls at Heide's tower since I can take on those enemies and they give me 600 souls each, but then I realized I don't know what stats to level up and which ones are most beneficial even if I have a build in my mind.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You don't need to start over. Don't worry about "wasting" lifegems. They are cheap and plentiful. Of course if you really want to start over, you're still really early so not much will be lost either (unless you spent a lot of time creating your character, which is what would pain me the most personally xD but not everyone cares about that), but I don't see the point.

My recommendation would be to take your time and explore the Forest fully, loot everything you see. If you are carrying a good amount of souls, go back to the vendor and buy those lifegems you want and/or warp back to Majula to level up a bit. Make sure you unlock the blacksmith, If you found enough titanite shards, you can also upgrade your equipment, including your sorcerer staff which will make your spells stronger. And of course if you found the key, unlock the mansion in Majula, there's some good treasure inside. One of those treasure is a key you can use to unlock a hidden door in the Forest (
the Pharros Lockstone
) which has some good loot too

Also make sure you
attack the well
outside of that Majula mansion if you haven't already, there's an
Estus Flask shard
in there.

Once you are done with doing everything in the forest (note, there's a side optional area with a difficult NPC invader, called
Armorer Dennis
: if you are struggling in this area, it's perfectly OK to retreat and come back later, it's 100% optional), you will have better gear, more levels and be stronger, and you can take on Heide's Tower with far less difficulty. You will, in fact, be amazed at how much you used to struggle in comparison, I'm sure of it. :)

Oh yeah, when you meet a new NPC, exhaust all of their dialogue (talk to them repeatedly until they start repeating themselves). They might have useful information, and this will become important later on too (some NPCs will trigger new things after exhausting their dialogue).

You shouldn't need to farm for souls, but if you think it can help you, I guess you can do it for a bit (I never bother). Like, say, you're missing one level in dexterity to wield a weapon you found and want to use, or you're short a few souls to buy an item you want from the merchant, then sure, farm souls for that one level to get it right away, that kind of thing. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it unless you're really, really struggling.

One more thing; you surely noticed that you lose some HP every time you die (capped at 50% of your health). If you want to revive as a human and regain your max HP, you can do one of these things:
- use a Human Effigy (do NOT burn it in the bonfire, just consume it);
- use the White Soapstone to drop a sign on the floor, usually near a boss room or a bonfire (online only); this will allow someone else to summon you as a helper for a cooperation session. If both you and your host are still alive and the boss dies, you will revive;
- use the Small White Soapstone to do something similar to the above, except for a quicker coop session. You don't need to kill a boss, just slay a few enemies for a few minues and bam, revived.

The last two options also refill your Estus and repair your gear as if you've been to a bonfire, too.

Good luck and have fun.

Hypron

So is there anything such as a goal I should set to myself during the beginning? Even now I'm mostly wandering around the Forest of Fallen Soldiers.. I absolutely adore the style of the game and the way the narrative is implied and submerged within the world, but I do truly feel lost at the moment.. I had an idea of farming souls at Heide's tower since I can take on those enemies and they give me 600 souls each, but then I realized I don't know what stats to level up and which ones are most beneficial even if I have a build in my mind.

Your goals should just be to beat to first unlock shortcuts to the bosses and then beat the said bosses :)

As for stats I'd recommend to increase adaptability first, it makes dodges more powerful (by default they are pretty crappy) and makes using healing items faster.

Then you'll want to increase intelligence if you want to play a sorcerer. You will also want to increase your vigor at the same time since it's your first time playing through the game - you don't absolutely need more health but it'll make things easier for you.

You don't need to farm either but if you want to do so, you can also progress a bit in the forest of giants until you find the white soap stone. Put it on the ground at a bonfire and go help other people get to and defeat the area boss. Do that a couple of times and you'll both earn souls and learn all the tricks about the area and the boss.

Thanks you for the replies and advice. Will jump into it again in a bit. I managed getting an enemy to throw a fire bomb at me for a wall to break behind me, so with the new shortcut I think I can explore the Forest even better. Do you guys recommend beating the miniboss on top of the roof right across said exploded wall? He kind of floats and has heavy armor with a shield and sword. I can parry him fairly easy, but I barely do any damage to survive the fight.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Thanks you for the replies and advice. Will jump into it again in a bit. I managed getting an enemy to throw a fire bomb at me for a wall to break behind me, so with the new shortcut I think I can explore the Forest even better. Do you guys recommend beating the miniboss on top of the roof right across said exploded wall? He kind of floats and has heavy armor with a shield and sword. I can parry him fairly easy, but I barely do any damage to survive the fight.
Yep that shortcut is very helpful.

That mini-boss will not re-appear, you have one chance to beat him on this platform, but if you die he will not come back (um unless this was changed in Scholar?). That said, don't worry, you can fight him again in another area later. He's usually fairly difficult for completely new players, and he's technically optional, there's an easier "first boss" you should find first.

RiggyRob

Yep that shortcut is very helpful.

That mini-boss will not re-appear, you have one chance to beat him on this platform, but if you die he will not come back (um unless this was changed in Scholar?). That said, don't worry, you can fight him again in another area later. He's usually fairly difficult for completely new players, and he's technically optional, there's an easier "first boss" you should find first.

Nope, wasn't changed - speaking of parrying though, I have not parried once during my playthrough. Is there even any point to it?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Parrying can be useful in some cases, just like in the other games, but it's not strictly necessary. I like using it against Pursuer and the Syan knights.

Tarkus

Parrying is game-changing. If mastered, it trivializes most enemies and invaders. Parrying the bosses that can be parried just stuns them for a flash. You can't do a riposte on them. Not worth the risk imo.

Small shields with fast parry animations are the most effective for me. Like the parmas. I can't use the slower parry shields like the Buckler for shit.

Buraindo

I still can't believe it's possible to parry those weird dog things in The Gutter. Heide Knights and Syan Knights are a nice way to learn how to parry without risking too much.

Novocaine

About those Heide knights.. what incentives are there for me to fight them? Do they have a story? And what happens if I fight them anyway?

They will become aggressive as soon as you beat the first boss in that area.

They have some cool weapons but they are really only useful for a faith based build if anything.

I started playing this game again after a year or so, and the community seems quite active (PC). I could get summoned in the Forest of the Fallen Giants quite easily, but couldn't get summoned next to Blue Cathedral in Heide's when I waited for 5mins. I guess the giant dragon is a deterrent for people. One common theme is that the people who summoned me were quite...inexperienced. One guy dashed away from Pursuers attacks. Dashed, as in ran..not dodge, ran. Turned around his character and ran. It was quite funny, we almost killed the boss but pursuer managed to corner and kill the host.

I guess there are quite a lot of new players around in anticipation of Dark Souls 3!

KeRaSh

Slowly getting the hang of this game. I'm glad I stuck with it throughout the first few hours.
I'm going for a STR build here and need some advice on what weapon to go for. I loved Ludwig's Holy Blade in Bloodborne. Is there something comparable? I saw that NPC with the Moonlight Greatsword and immediately murdered him. Turns out it was a fake but since the real one is actually only viable for mages I'm not even mad. At what point should I consider switching to a different weapon because it gets outclassed?

I'm only interested in PVE, by the way.

Also I've read that the Large Club with the Stone Ring are a combo that wrecks everything. Is that true? If so, what's so special about it?

Picked this up this week-end after doing all bosses in dark souls, this one's been a bit disappointing so far but I'm not stopping.
The artstyle, especiall characters and monsters is kinda ass, but with some fat armor I forget about it
The combat is the worst offender, getting stunlocked all the time is a pain in the ass, I started putting points in adaptability for agility as I understand you need that to dodge better but still.. Base soldiers destroying me for no reason because I did a bad dodge is terrible
The bosses seem to be calibrated for coop too, which imo isn't a good thing. Hard as fuck without summoning, super easy when you do. I'm looking at you bastille sentinels...
Finally really not a fan of the new stats, especially having two stats for stamina/weight, and who the hell decided to call the weight stat "vitality" ?

Anyway I went for a STR build, starting as warrior but gearing more like a knight, which is what I played in DS. So far doing OK, I'm using the drangleic set and drangleic sword, it's kinda annoying to upgrade though (twinkling titanites). I beat the lost sinner and dragonrider, now I'm not too sure what to do but I think the NPC after the dragonrider is supposed to unlock something for me so I'll go there.

Also why the hell do communities feel the need to have 3 different wiki for each game, ugh. Using the wikidot.com one as it's the most convenient to use and it's not awful to look at.

Also fuck the torch what the hell is this thing.

Slowly getting the hang of this game. I'm glad I stuck with it throughout the first few hours.
I'm going for a STR build here and need some advice on what weapon to go for. I loved Ludwig's Holy Blade in Bloodborne. Is there something comparable? I saw that NPC with the Moonlight Greatsword and immediately murdered him. Turns out it was a fake but since the real one is actually only viable for mages I'm not even mad. At what point should I consider switching to a different weapon because it gets outclassed?

I'm only interested in PVE, by the way.

Also I've read that the Large Club with the Stone Ring are a combo that wrecks everything. Is that true? If so, what's so special about it?

Basic and Large titanite shards (up to +6 upgrade) can be bought in infinite numbers (eventually). I'd only invest chunks (+7, +8 & +9 upgrades) in weapons you really like, you only get so many each play-through.

Large Club has excellent damage, it gets S-scaling for STR very fast.

Picked this up this week-end after doing all bosses in dark souls, this one's been a bit disappointing so far but I'm not stopping.
The artstyle, especiall characters and monsters is kinda ass, but with some fat armor I forget about it
The combat is the worst offender, getting stunlocked all the time is a pain in the ass, I started putting points in adaptability for agility as I understand you need that to dodge better but still.. Base soldiers destroying me for no reason because I did a bad dodge is terrible
The bosses seem to be calibrated for coop too, which imo isn't a good thing. Hard as fuck without summoning, super easy when you do. I'm looking at you bastille sentinels...
Finally really not a fan of the new stats, especially having two stats for stamina/weight, and who the hell decided to call the weight stat "vitality" ?

Anyway I went for a STR build, starting as warrior but gearing more like a knight, which is what I played in DS. So far doing OK, I'm using the drangleic set and drangleic sword, it's kinda annoying to upgrade though (twinkling titanites). I beat the lost sinner and dragonrider, now I'm not too sure what to do but I think the NPC after the dragonrider is supposed to unlock something for me so I'll go there.

Also why the hell do communities feel the need to have 3 different wiki for each game, ugh. Using the wikidot.com one as it's the most convenient to use and it's not awful to look at.

Also fuck the torch what the hell is this thing.

Bosses can be done quite easily without any co-op once you learn the game mechanics a bit. Dodge, dodge, dodge. Wait for an opening, strike once, back off, don't be greedy. So either dodge or get a 100% physical block shield with high stability (was that the name?) and block everything. You need HIGH stamina for that though, and usually high STR. Tips for sentinels:
Kill first one on the small platform. After that, fall down and take care of the other two. Be patient, focus on killing one and always be aware where both of them are. The spinning whirlwind attack is hard to dodge but easy to BLOCK with a 100% physical def shield, if you are bad with dodging.

As for where to go... a HINT:
talk to EVERY SINGLE npc you find until they start repeating their lines. This is CRUCIAL!

What's wrong with the torch?
It's just terrible to use, has borderline usefulness, and I needed a damn tutorial to use it. I don't even bother to use it anymore unless it's 100% needed (for the bastille blacksmith so far)
Bosses can be done quite easily without any co-op once you learn the game mechanics a bit. Dodge, dodge, dodge. Wait for an opening, strike once, back off, don't be greedy. So either dodge or get a 100% physical block shield with high stability (was that the name?) and block everything. You need HIGH stamina for that though, and usually high STR. Tips for sentinels:
Kill first one on the small platform. After that, fall down and take care of the other two. Be patient, focus on killing one and always be aware where both of them are. The spinning whirlwind attack is hard to dodge but easy to BLOCK with a 100% physical def shield, if you are bad with dodging.

As for where to go... a HINT:
talk to EVERY SINGLE npc you find until they start repeating their lines. This is CRUCIAL!
Yeah I guess dodge is the name of the game here. But when you have 2 fat enemies coming at you it's not that easy. Also chipping bosses away one hit at a time is frustrating, didn't have that feeling in souls.
For the hint yeah I learned that the painful way, not liking it but oh well.

I forgot my main issue with the game. Levelling up is only done with the emerald herald. Who thought this was a good idea ?
The new flask I like though, frustrating to have 1-2 charges in the beginning but it rewards exploration.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Tutorial to use...? What? How could you possible have trouble with it?

I love the torch. The dynamic shadow effects are lovely, and it's quite useful in many places. Not a problem to use unless you constantly rely on a shield I guess.

It's just terrible to use, has borderline usefulness, and I needed a damn tutorial to use it. I don't even bother to use it anymore unless it's 100% needed (for the bastille blacksmith so far)

Yeah I guess dodge is the name of the game here. But when you have 2 fat enemies coming at you it's not that easy. Also chipping bosses away one hit at a time is frustrating, didn't have that feeling in souls.
For the hint yeah I learned that the painful way, not liking it but oh well.

I forgot my main issue with the game. Levelling up is only done with the emerald herald. Who thought this was a good idea ?
The new flask I like though, frustrating to have 1-2 charges in the beginning but it rewards exploration.

Make sure you have enough agility. Agility determines the number of invincibility frames you get during your dodges. Having high agility makes it significantly easier to dodge attacks, plus you use your items faster (easier to use in combat).

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Agility

Top Bottom